++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 15, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #9,181 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm heading to the US real soon and I would like to pick a headphone for 70% movies and 30% games. My budget is around $200. I want something with a good amount of bass. I've been hearing good things about the DT770 Pro 80. How does that compare to the DT880 or the DT990? I know these two are out of my budget but I'm curious about them. I see that the HD598, PC360, and the DT770 Pro 80 are all around the same price. Is there a difference between the DT770 Pro 80ohm and the 250ohm? I'm using the Tritton AX 720 surround sound processor to power my the headphones. I don't need isolation. I rather have open and comfortable headphones. I just want it to have some good bass for single player games and movies. If the HD598 is anything like the HD558 I think I wouldn't like them. Sure they were nice for gaming competitively but it had very little bass. 
I also have the Sony XB500 and I find they have too much bass. Everything is muddled by the bass. I want the mid and highs from the HD558 I've tried combine with a little less bass than the XB500
Which one would you guys suggest for my needs? Should I step up and just get the DT990 which from what I've read will do basically all I need? I'm willing to up my budget to $300 if so.

We share the same opinion of the XB500
The DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm is the bassy one, the DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm has more clarity (my favorite).
I like my Sennheiser HD-558s, removing the black rubber tape from the grill (inside the cans) improves bass.
On eBay they sell single tube headphone amplifiers, prices start at $50, ships from China, takes 10 days

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #9,182 of 29,490
Do I really need a single tube headphone amplifer? I want to use my decoder box for dolby headphone. From what I read in Mad Lust Envy's thread the AX 720 decoder box should be on par with the Astro mixamp and they powered his DT990 600ohm headphone fine without using the voice chat.

Also how would you compare the bass from the XB500 to the DT770 Pro 80? Which one has more clarity? I deciding if I should pick up the DT770 pro 250ohm or the HD598

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #9,183 of 29,490

Quote:

Hi;

I made a new thread for this right before I noticed this 613 page thread right here for this exact purpose! Sorry. 

Feel free to skim. I am a writer by trade, spending my days typing as concisely as possible, so I tend to carelessly ramble and wander with the words I write on my own time.

Which "high end" Audio Technica headphone should I buy?

A long time ago, my first set of good headphones I ever bought was the ATH-A700. I traded them away for HD595s, and from there I went to my current D5000. I still fondly recall the sounds of those ATH-A700s, though. Very pleasant headphones, and very comfortable too!   

Today, I listen to music with my Denon AH-D5000 plugged straight into the headphone output of my Benchmark DAC1 USB, which in turn goes straight into my PC with ASIO and a bevy of flac files. 

NOTE: I am not trying to replace my Denons, I merely want a second pair of headphones to go along with them. 

Anyway, life story aside - I really have this urge to get a high end Audio Technica headphone, for two main reasons:
1: They are beautiful (ATH-W1000x, ATH-W5000, ATH-A2000 -- all look fantastic).
2: Nostalgia for my old long gone ATH-A700 with it's super comfortable wings and nice sound.

Thing is, I am not certain which I should go for. I have heard a few things about the top end Audio Technicas, and each sounds appealing in its own way. 

From what I understand:

W5000 - is absolutely divine for female vocals (I like female vocals a lot). I assume these would be good for everything from Sarah Brightman to Loreena McKennit to Diana Krall to .. dare I say it, The Cranberries, The Cardigans? I hear that the bass is truly lacking in these headphones. Well, the ATH-A700 had "enough" bass to be reasonable for me; I enjoyed trance and electronic music on those headphones. Would the W5000 sound terrible if I played some vocal trance through them, or would it just color the songs in a very unique way? I am not sure how "versatile" these are, but they seem very sophisticated and classy, and it is allegedly the flagship headphone of Audio Technica? That reputation is attractive.

W1000x - These have much cleaner and tighter bass than my Denon AH-D5000. Is the extension down as low? If I listen to dubstep on these (should I feel compelled to...) would they sputter out and gasp for breath during the long and low bass lines? If the bass is allegedly "more controlled," what does that mean? Should I expect these to sound way crisper and punchier than the Denons on tracks with double-bass drums pounding out at a high BPM? What about the rest of the spectrum - are these things anywhere near as good at vocals as the W5000 is supposed to be?  These headphones are absolutely gorgeous and I am most attracted to them visually.

A2000x - I have heard next to nothing about these. Nobody seems to own them at all. They are titanium and look fantastic, though. For some reason, from what little I have read, I suspect these would be really good for stuff like t.A.T.u.? If that's true, I guess they could be my go-to headphone for treble-ly J-pop music and similar? I also heard that these headphones are so utterly transparent that they "let you hear your amp, and have no sound of their own." What? These are a mystery, and I am slightly drawn to them for that mystery.  

On another note, are any of these even audibly more "detailed" or "clear" than my current D5000s? Buying the D5000 as a clear upgrade to my old HD595 was an easy move, but from here on out it seems a lot more complicated to decide which headphones are better than others and for what reasons.

Are there even any other contenders from AT to consider besides these 3?  

And, I don't mean to be rude by pre-empting this, but please don't suggest non Audio Technica headphones. I've really got my heart set on this brand name for my next set of cans, and I still have my entire life ahead of me to explore other brands, too! 

Check the Tokyo meet posts, I think audio technica just came out with a new limited flagship. Its on pre-order now with so worth looking into. Nice woodies.

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #9,184 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm heading to the US real soon and I would like to pick a headphone for 70% movies and 30% games. My budget is around $200. I want something with a good amount of bass. I've been hearing good things about the DT770 Pro 80. How does that compare to the DT880 or the DT990? I know these two are out of my budget but I'm curious about them. I see that the HD598, PC360, and the DT770 Pro 80 are all around the same price. Is there a difference between the DT770 Pro 80ohm and the 250ohm? I'm using the Tritton AX 720 surround sound processor to power my the headphones. I don't need isolation. I rather have open and comfortable headphones. I just want it to have some good bass for single player games and movies. If the HD598 is anything like the HD558 I think I wouldn't like them. Sure they were nice for gaming competitively but it had very little bass. 

I also have the Sony XB500 and I find they have too much bass. Everything is muddled by the bass. I want the mid and highs from the HD558 I've tried combine with a little less bass than the XB500

Which one would you guys suggest for my needs? Should I step up and just get the DT990 which from what I've read will do basically all I need? I'm willing to up my budget to $300 if so.

There are pro models for both the 880 and 990 which can be found under $200. For overall listening and usage, I would pick the 880. 

The DT770pro80 to my memory thumped harder than the 250/600. 

Quote:

Hi;

I made a new thread for this right before I noticed this 613 page thread right here for this exact purpose! Sorry. 

Feel free to skim. I am a writer by trade, spending my days typing as concisely as possible, so I tend to carelessly ramble and wander with the words I write on my own time.

Which "high end" Audio Technica headphone should I buy?

Of those, I've only heard the W1000x and wasn't particularly enthused. It was good, but I did not feel it matched the price point. I would have rather picked up an A700/900 and do some damping in the cups myself to tailor the sound. 

I've seen a couple people around here gush about the A2000x, but unfortunately I can't remember who they are. 

Quote:
Do I really need a single tube headphone amplifer? I want to use my decoder box for dolby headphone. From what I read in Mad Lust Envy's thread the AX 720 decoder box should be on par with the Astro mixamp and they powered his DT990 600ohm headphone fine without using the voice chat.

Also how would you compare the bass from the XB500 to the DT770 Pro 80? Which one has more clarity? I deciding if I should pick up the DT770 pro 250ohm or the HD598

Bass on the DT770 is far better than the XB500, though the XB might win for sheer quantity. 

You don't *need* a tube amp, but in my experience the Beyers simply sound better with them. Potayto potahto.

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #9,185 of 29,490

Help me lead my friend away from Beats?

So me good friend is looking at headphones, and I told him Beats are generally pretty overpriced. I told him that there are some really good options, and now he wants me to give him suggestions. 

His price range is $500, here are some points/requests
  1. A good amount of bass (hence the attraction to Beats)
  2. Something he can use out in public, like on the bus to football games, etc. so they have to be somewhat portable. 
  3. It sounds like he doesn't want to have to carry an amp around. (I'll try to change his mind)
  4. Looks are important, but sound is more important

I would usually try to find something for him, but I'm afraid if i take too long he'll loose interest, and you guys probably know much more about things in the $500 price range than me. 

Thanks a bunch!

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #9,186 of 29,490

I had some Skullcandy credit collecting dust, so I decided to purchase a pair of Aviators. I'm no longer interested in Skullcandy, and although these sounded like higher quality headphones based on other reviews I think I can do much better for $150. I haven't opened them yet so unless you convince me otherwise I will probably sell them (some advice about where to sell them would be nice). The main reason they didn't look to good is because of a lack of bass. I mainly listen to electronic so I need the bass, but also stuff like Radiohead and Sublime. So a neutral sound would be ideal. I'm willing to spend all the money I get from selling these headphones (unopened, so probably be $140-150). Some that interested me:
Shure 440/750 DJ/840
ATH M50
Ultrasone HFI-780
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

I enjoy my RP-HTF600's but they lack detail and crispness. Closed is best for me although I will be using them mostly at home.

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #9,187 of 29,490

Quote:

I can not find any Ohm rating for the AX 720, So I'm guessing it was not made to work with high Ohm headphones.
If it did work well with high Ohm headphones, the manufacturer would print it somewhere, as a great feature.
I'm sure headphones between 25 to 60-Ohm would work fine.

I really do not like the XB500s and think my DT770 Pro 80-Ohms have great bass and overall great sound.
Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones sound best with a good (or decent) headphone amplifier.
DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm will work decently without a dedicated headphone amp.
DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm have to have a headphone amplifier.
Sennheiser HD-598s are only 50-Ohm, easy to drive.
but does not hurt to use with a headphone amplifier with them.

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #9,188 of 29,490

Quote:

So me good friend is looking at headphones, and I told him Beats are generally pretty overpriced. I told him that there are some really good options, and now he wants me to give him suggestions. 

2. Something he can use out in public, like on the bus to football games, etc. so they have to be somewhat portable. 
  3. It sounds like he doesn't want to have to carry an amp around. (I'll try to change his mind)

I would usually try to find something for him, but I'm afraid if i take too long he'll loose interest, and you guys probably know much more about things in the $500 price range than me. 

Thanks a bunch!

I'll chip in 1. ESW9 Great look, heavy on the bass side, and make human voice sound silky smooth. Works great without AMP.

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #9,189 of 29,490

Quote:
Check the Tokyo meet posts, I think audio technica just came out with a new limited flagship. Its on pre-order now with so worth looking into. Nice woodies.

Jeez, just read about these and looked at how the preorders are. I wonder if there will still be any out there in a month or two - I'd feel more comfortable affording the ATH-W3000ANV then, but not today - and it looks like I'd really have to order very soon if I want to get in on the limited run action.

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #9,190 of 29,490
All right... New question... PORTABLE HEADPHONE AMPS!!! the main ones i'm looking at and the SoundMAGIC A10 *affordable, long battery life, lots of accessories* DigiZoid ZO2 *longer battery life, really small, really powerful, bass oriented* iBasso D ZERO *longest battery life but I don't know much about it* and the Fiio E11 *second longest battery life, I've heard good and bad about Fiio amps* so that's where I stand... if anyone has any helpful information PLEASE pm me and help me out.

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #9,191 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks a bunch!

Ultrasone Pro750/900
Phiaton MS400
Pioneer HDJ-2000

Quote:

I had some Skullcandy credit collecting dust, so I decided to purchase a pair of Aviators. I'm no longer interested in Skullcandy, and although these sounded like higher quality headphones based on other reviews I think I can do much better for $150. I haven't opened them yet so unless you convince me otherwise I will probably sell them (some advice about where to sell them would be nice). The main reason they didn't look to good is because of a lack of bass. I mainly listen to electronic so I need the bass, but also stuff like Radiohead and Sublime. So a neutral sound would be ideal. I'm willing to spend all the money I get from selling these headphones (unopened, so probably be $140-150). Some that interested me:
Shure 440/750 DJ/840
ATH M50
Ultrasone HFI-780
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

I enjoy my RP-HTF600's but they lack detail and crispness. Closed is best for me although I will be using them mostly at home.

The Aviators are actually pretty decent headphones, and among the comfiest I've owned. Bass extension is good, though a little loose and rattles before modding (5 minutes of time and a bit of clay).  

As for your other alternatives, I would say the Shure 750/840 perhaps fits best for electronica.

Quote:
All right... New question... PORTABLE HEADPHONE AMPS!!! the main ones i'm looking at and the SoundMAGIC A10 *affordable, long battery life, lots of accessories* DigiZoid ZO2 *longer battery life, really small, really powerful, bass oriented* iBasso D ZERO *longest battery life but I don't know much about it* and the Fiio E11 *second longest battery life, I've heard good and bad about Fiio amps* so that's where I stand... if anyone has any helpful information PLEASE pm me and help me out.

The only thing I can suggest is reading some of the threads or perhaps asking Mike over at Headfonia.

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #9,192 of 29,490
Hi, I need help on chooding a headphone that meets these criterias:
  1. $150-$500
  2. Sweet mid (like the HD598's mid)
  3. Good for pop, instrumental
  4. Not too dependent on amp
  5. Decent soundstage
Is there even one? Bass and treble is not a problem, though.
Thanks for any help :D

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #9,193 of 29,490

Hello,

I'd just like to start off by saying I'm not too educated with regards to audio in general. Sure, my collection is in FLAC and I know terrible audio when I hear it, but I don't understand much of the technical side.

With that out the way, my first and only decent pair of headphones have been the Sennheiser HD280. I like these so much that, after my first pair died, I bought another pair. In total I've been using these things for something like 8-9 years. As my HD280s decided to die today -- a long and painful death, at that -- I'm in the market for some new headphones. I generally like to try something different, so I'm looking for something else this time.

As they are my benchmark, the HD280s sounded like headphones should sound. I'm sure many of you will probably tell me they're actually a terrible pair of headphones, but for the most part I loved them. I spent so much time with them that I really got used to them, although I did notice that they clamped too tight for my liking and sometimes gave me headaches as a result. And those damnable ear pads got torn up in no time.

So! Could anyone possibly recommend me some new headphones? My budget is very low at the moment, but I don't want something that will feel like a big downgrade from the HD280s. As long as they sound close to what they did, I'm happy. If they sound better, great. And comfort is very important to me, and portability (for outdoor use) would be a big plus if the sacrifice is minimal.

I'm in the UK, so talking GBP, I'd rather not spend more than £100 if at all possible -- ideally less. I really like the look of the HD 598s, but they're well above budget at about £150. Possible if there's no lower-priced alternative, but I'd rather not go there. I've also heard great things about the Sony MDR V6, but at only £51.41 I'm afraid they'll be a huge downgrade.

I've taken a look at the excellent price range guide, but I hoped someone could offer me something a little more tailored to me -- the eternal HD280 user, living in the UK (and therefore unable to find all models).

Many thanks in advance!

tl;dr: I want something cheap-ish without sacrificing quality/comfort. My quality benchmark is the HD280s, but something more comfortable with good pads.

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #9,194 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I need help on chooding a headphone that meets these criterias:
  1. $150-$500
  2. Sweet mid (like the HD598's mid)
  3. Good for pop, instrumental
  4. Not too dependent on amp
  5. Decent soundstage
Is there even one? Bass and treble is not a problem, though.
Thanks for any help :D

Audio Technica AD900/1000/2000

Quote:

Hello,

I'd just like to start off by saying I'm not too educated with regards to audio in general. Sure, my collection is in FLAC and I know terrible audio when I hear it, but I don't understand much of the technical side.

With that out the way, my first and only decent pair of headphones have been the Sennheiser HD280. I like these so much that, after my first pair died, I bought another pair. In total I've been using these things for something like 8-9 years. As my HD280s decided to die today -- a long and painful death, at that -- I'm in the market for some new headphones. I generally like to try something different, so I'm looking for something else this time.

As they are my benchmark, the HD280s sounded like headphones should sound. I'm sure many of you will probably tell me they're actually a terrible pair of headphones, but for the most part I loved them. I spent so much time with them that I really got used to them, although I did notice that they clamped too tight for my liking and sometimes gave me headaches as a result. And those damnable ear pads got torn up in no time.

So! Could anyone possibly recommend me some new headphones? My budget is very low at the moment, but I don't want something that will feel like a big downgrade from the HD280s. As long as they sound close to what they did, I'm happy. If they sound better, great. And comfort is very important to me, and portability (for outdoor use) would be a big plus if the sacrifice is minimal.

I'm in the UK, so talking GBP, I'd rather not spend more than £100 if at all possible -- ideally less. I really like the look of the HD 598s, but they're well above budget at about £150. Possible if there's no lower-priced alternative, but I'd rather not go there. I've also heard great things about the Sony MDR V6, but at only £51.41 I'm afraid they'll be a huge downgrade.

I've taken a look at the excellent price range guide, but I hoped someone could offer me something a little more tailored to me -- the eternal HD280 user, living in the UK (and therefore unable to find all models).

Many thanks in advance!

tl;dr: I want something cheap-ish without sacrificing quality/comfort. My quality benchmark is the HD280s, but something more comfortable with good pads.

How about upgrading to the HD380? It sits right at your budget, and it's a nice step up.

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #9,195 of 29,490
@Armaegis: The HD 380s look like a good idea, but after looking around I'd also realised the coiled cable of the HD 280s drove me absolutely insane. Now I'm looking to avoid that if possible, but I'll definitely keep the 380s on the list of possibilities.

Edit: On second thought, it's replaceable so that's not a problem. Liking the 380s, still got my eye on the MDR V6s though, given the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back