++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 15, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #9,166 of 29,490

Quote:

Beyerdynamic DT880 or Senn HD600/540 plus whatever desktop dac/amp combo fits the rest of your budget. If you're handy with a soldering iron, I'd recommend the Bottlehead Crack tube amp. 

Cheers Armaegis, 

I have been doing lots of research and am leaning towards the HD650 or grado sr325i with e7/e9 combo, possibly. 

Still it's early days and theres lots more to read up on etc.I'll look into that amp and the beyers.

Thanks again.

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #9,167 of 29,490
I have a pair of Panasonic RP-HTP560s and I am told they are the same as the 600s(still need more verification on this)..I love the 560s..but if the 890s are better or a little different and just as good..then It would be a nice addition..I'm sending my JVC 700s back..not because I hate them but I just really like the Pans for my uses

Simple question--Do I buy a pair of Panasonic RP-HTF890s or RP-HTF600s?..They are the same price..
I listen to Rock..Everything from Tori Amos-->Metallica and Pantera and Everything in between

Sansa Fuze--E6--FLAC only

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #9,168 of 29,490

Quote:

[size=10pt]Hi Guys![/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]I'm not really a fan of IEMs, but since I'm too lazy for storing-taking out my PX-100s on their carrying box, I'm willing to give a new try to IEMs.

Looking for something:
[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]- Under $100 [/size]

[size=10pt]- Not prone to get broken[/size]

[size=10pt]- Really comfortable. I know that this varies for everyone, but there are certain models that there is a common agreement.[/size]

[size=10pt]- Sounding better than my PX-100s[/size]

[size=10pt]- Sounding preferences: Deep and Tight, but not overwhelming bass, Treble not rolled off. Mids not recessed,[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]I was considering Shure SE215 and  RE-0. But then I started to read a lot of posts from people complaining how easily they get broken. Since I live outside the US, it would be very hard to claim the warranty. I'm buying the headphones on my next visit to the US (Thanksgiving).  [/size]

[size=10pt]Maybe I'm asking for too much with such a little budget?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
[/size]

Bump.... anyone?

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #9,169 of 29,490

Quote:

Bump.... anyone?

Maybe try reading up in one of the big IEM review threads? 

I've got limited experience with iems, but I liked the Shure 215. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #9,170 of 29,490
Long time lurker around here, first time poster.

Finally getting into the portable music scene and I could use some advice.  I've been holding off from this for a while until I turned my collection digital, and after months I've finally finished ripping close to 32,000 songs in ALAC from my cds.  I'm ready to play now.

I'm planning on using a 160gb ipod classic.  For the time I'm likely going to be using a CMOY for amping and eventually work up to a Fostex HP-P1 for all around improvement as economy permits.

As for headphones, after all of the reading I've been doing I'm deciding between the Senn hd25-1 ii, Audio Technica A50, and the Beyerdynamic 1350 unless someone has a better suggestion.  I'm hoping to audition anything I can get my hands on, but Jacksonville FL and the surrounding couple of hundred miles seems thoroughly lacking in hi fi.

My genres of choice are all over the place but primarily concentrate on female vocals.  This is a wide spectrum though as it spans things like symphonic metal (Within Temptation, Nightwish, Leaves Eyes), dubstep (Nero), and plenty of indie/other (Cowboy Junkies, Feist, Tori Amos).

My collection covers all genres, but I'm weakest on hip-hop, country, and pop.  I was guessing from the reviews that the three headphones I was considering would be the best bet to handle a wide variety.  If anyone has any suggestions though that would express my musical taste better, or have better synergy with the sources, I'd appreciate it.

Oh yeah, and it is usually really freaking hot down here.  If any of these sit cooler on the ears than the others it would make it that much more enjoyable.

Thanks

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #9,171 of 29,490

Alright, I'm wondering if the D2000 with a Ibasso D2+Boa is a good buy, and probably a Markl mod. And as for future amp use I plan on using the same amp for some Thunderpants when they start going out more regularly. So what would work well for both? Also is there any other phones I should look at in the price range of $500-$600 that would be better than some Marlk'd D2000's, and this $500-$600 would include amps or any other mods the populace deems necessary.  

Music choice is really all kinds, primarily 60's rock, rap, minimalist classical, ie Philip Glass, r&b, jazz, violin concertos and such, just about everything but hardcore and country.

Looking for a punchy, tight and powerful bass, and some silky trebs, I really can't stand strident highs after awhile, it just hurts, hence the change from the M50's. I really need something that will be smooth, good spacing, sound stage, and if it needs an amp it has to be prtable and under $200.

Thanks in advance

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #9,172 of 29,490
Hi
I'm looking into buying new headphones. They must
-Be closed back
-Not leak too much sound
-Be fairly comfortable
-Be circumaural
-Be under $200 and preferably under $150

I like bass but I don't want it to overpower the mids very much and I'm not big on treble.
I listen to pretty much every genre of music except Country and Pop.
And I know I'll probably get recommended the ATH-M50 but I'd like other recommendations as well so I can see what my options are.
Thanks in advance

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #9,173 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi
-Be closed back
-Not leak too much sound
-Be fairly comfortable
-Be circumaural

I like bass but I don't want it to overpower the mids very much and I'm not big on treble.
And I know I'll probably get recommended the ATH-M50 but I'd like other recommendations as well so I can see what my options are.
Thanks in advance

Save your cash and get something nice, like D2000, or THUNDERPANTS! really out of your price range, but they're really good. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #9,174 of 29,490
Okay, still a few months off from tax season but I like getting my planning done as early as possible. At this point, I'm looking for suggestions. I got my MS1 not all that long ago but I'm enjoying them, quite a bit more than anything else I've tried in fact. Come refund season, I plan on spending ~$300 on upgrading. I have the Essence STX and don't have any short term plans on upgrading for probably at least a year. I'm looking for something that will sound better than the MS1 without a decent amp but something that will benefit with one when the time comes that I can afford that. I'm leaning towards the ms2 or sr325i but I'm open to suggestions. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #9,175 of 29,490
I'm primarily an IEM user looking to step into the realm of full-sized headphones. Truthfully, I don't even know where to start.

My current pair of IEMs (and my current benchmark) are a pair of VSonic GR07s (which I love). The R07s are everything I'm looking for in terms of a sound signature. They are a sort of "everyman" headphone. For those of you who have not yet had the pleasure of hearing them, they have fairly speedy bass with just enough punch and good extension, the mids are smooth with a bit a warmth, and the high end is pretty clear and airy, though not quite as present as the rest of the spectrum (at least to me). Overally they have what is more or less a neutral sound that is moderately laid-back and very effortless. They have a pretty spacious soundstage compared to other IEMs I've heard, and I particularly love the positioning of vocals sounding like they are smack in the middle of your head. This is basically what I'm looking for in a full-sized headphone as well. Also worth noting is that I am primarily a mobile listener and have a Fiio E11 out of an iPod (though I'm looking to upgrade to a Cowon J3 very soon).

My music preferences are irrelevant, because I want an accurate headphone and an accurate headphone is supposed to recreate the music as it was intended to sound. I've never understood the concept of buying headphones based on genre or colored headphones being more "fun."

Essentially what I am looking for is this:

- Tight, controlled bass with good punch and extension. I tend to not like bass-heavy headphones, but don't want bass-light headphones either. MY R07s have pretty much the exact bass I am looking for. I'm willing to bend a little in either direction though.
- I like an open, airy sound. I'm a big fan of smooth highs. As I understand it, some headphones that are a bit edgier in the high end can sound more detailed, which is also fine by me.
- I like a neutral mid-range with maybe a touch of warmth.
- Good separation is a must. I HATE congested sound, and I also really hate headphones that come off as being a sort of "wall-of-sound."
- I don't like feeling to disconnected from the music (as in it being positioned very far away and being overly laid-back), but I do tend to prefer a slightly more laid-back sound as opposed to a very "in your face" and intimate sound.
- I'd prefer something with a spacious soundstage and good imaging. I really like the combination of good separation and being able to hear were all the various audio cues are coming from.
- I'd also prefer circumaural headphones, but it's not a requirement.

If I need to be more specific with anything let me know. And thanks in advance!

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #9,176 of 29,490
@Armaegis I'll try that. Thanks! :wink:

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #9,177 of 29,490
Maybe i'll get a more accurate response in here...

Looking for full sized headphones that sound like monster turbines (regular). I like the balance of things, I could use a bit more soundstage and more detail. As far as bass goes, I do listen to 3-4 electronic albums that have sub bass in them. i want to hear that.

i have audioengine A5's paired with a 10 inch sub. I have the sub set so that the bass is definately there and you can easily tell when the sub gets turned on and off, but the bass never overpowers. I'd like something that sounds like that.

I wont put a budget down because that seems to get in the way of everyone's recommendations. I'm a college student who gets $120 a month for allowance/spending.

EDIT: heres my music library

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #9,178 of 29,490

Quote:
Long time lurker around here, first time poster.

Finally getting into the portable music scene and I could use some advice.  I've been holding off from this for a while until I turned my collection digital, and after months I've finally finished ripping close to 32,000 songs in ALAC from my cds.  I'm ready to play now.

I'm planning on using a 160gb ipod classic.  For the time I'm likely going to be using a CMOY for amping and eventually work up to a Fostex HP-P1 for all around improvement as economy permits.

As for headphones, after all of the reading I've been doing I'm deciding between the Senn hd25-1 ii, Audio Technica A50, and the Beyerdynamic 1350 unless someone has a better suggestion.  I'm hoping to audition anything I can get my hands on, but Jacksonville FL and the surrounding couple of hundred miles seems thoroughly lacking in hi fi.

My genres of choice are all over the place but primarily concentrate on female vocals.  This is a wide spectrum though as it spans things like symphonic metal (Within Temptation, Nightwish, Leaves Eyes), dubstep (Nero), and plenty of indie/other (Cowboy Junkies, Feist, Tori Amos).

My collection covers all genres, but I'm weakest on hip-hop, country, and pop.  I was guessing from the reviews that the three headphones I was considering would be the best bet to handle a wide variety.  If anyone has any suggestions though that would express my musical taste better, or have better synergy with the sources, I'd appreciate it.

Oh yeah, and it is usually really freaking hot down here.  If any of these sit cooler on the ears than the others it would make it that much more enjoyable.

Thanks

The headphones you're looking at should be readily available from music stores (guitar centres, PA rentals, etc). See what's available to try out. Also check out my profile for a couple reviews which cover those headphones that you're looking at. 

Quote:

Alright, I'm wondering if the D2000 with a Ibasso D2+Boa is a good buy, and probably a Markl mod. And as for future amp use I plan on using the same amp for some Thunderpants when they start going out more regularly. So what would work well for both? Also is there any other phones I should look at in the price range of $500-$600 that would be better than some Marlk'd D2000's, and this $500-$600 would include amps or any other mods the populace deems necessary.  

Music choice is really all kinds, primarily 60's rock, rap, minimalist classical, ie Philip Glass, r&b, jazz, violin concertos and such, just about everything but hardcore and country.

Looking for a punchy, tight and powerful bass, and some silky trebs, I really can't stand strident highs after awhile, it just hurts, hence the change from the M50's. I really need something that will be smooth, good spacing, sound stage, and if it needs an amp it has to be prtable and under $200.

Thanks in advance

I think a D2000 fits your sound criteria quite nicely, as long as you don't need high isolation (though modding improves this). However, keep in mind that the D2000 is not exactly the most portable nor durable headphone. 

Quote:
Hi
-Be closed back
-Not leak too much sound
-Be fairly comfortable
-Be circumaural

Thanks in advance

I would pick the Shure 840. More bass sloped with a downturned treble, and better isolation.

Quote:
Okay, still a few months off from tax season but I like getting my planning done as early as possible. At this point, I'm looking for suggestions. I got my MS1 not all that long ago but I'm enjoying them, quite a bit more than anything else I've tried in fact. Come refund season, I plan on spending ~$300 on upgrading. I have the Essence STX and don't have any short term plans on upgrading for probably at least a year. I'm looking for something that will sound better than the MS1 without a decent amp but something that will benefit with one when the time comes that I can afford that. I'm leaning towards the ms2 or sr325i but I'm open to suggestions. 

I saw follow that route and consider the Magnum upgrade down the line. 

Quote:
I'm primarily an IEM user looking to step into the realm of full-sized headphones. Truthfully, I don't even know where to start.

My current pair of IEMs (and my current benchmark) are a pair of VSonic GR07s (which I love). The R07s are everything I'm looking for in terms of a sound signature. They are a sort of "everyman" headphone. For those of you who have not yet had the pleasure of hearing them, they have fairly speedy bass with just enough punch and good extension, the mids are smooth with a bit a warmth, and the high end is pretty clear and airy, though not quite as present as the rest of the spectrum (at least to me). Overally they have what is more or less a neutral sound that is moderately laid-back and very effortless. They have a pretty spacious soundstage compared to other IEMs I've heard, and I particularly love the positioning of vocals sounding like they are smack in the middle of your head. This is basically what I'm looking for in a full-sized headphone as well. Also worth noting is that I am primarily a mobile listener and have a Fiio E11 out of an iPod (though I'm looking to upgrade to a Cowon J3 very soon).

My music preferences are irrelevant, because I want an accurate headphone and an accurate headphone is supposed to recreate the music as it was intended to sound. I've never understood the concept of buying headphones based on genre or colored headphones being more "fun."

Essentially what I am looking for is this:

- Tight, controlled bass with good punch and extension. I tend to not like bass-heavy headphones, but don't want bass-light headphones either. MY R07s have pretty much the exact bass I am looking for. I'm willing to bend a little in either direction though.
- I like an open, airy sound. I'm a big fan of smooth highs. As I understand it, some headphones that are a bit edgier in the high end can sound more detailed, which is also fine by me.
- I like a neutral mid-range with maybe a touch of warmth.
- Good separation is a must. I HATE congested sound, and I also really hate headphones that come off as being a sort of "wall-of-sound."
- I don't like feeling to disconnected from the music (as in it being positioned very far away and being overly laid-back), but I do tend to prefer a slightly more laid-back sound as opposed to a very "in your face" and intimate sound.
- I'd prefer something with a spacious soundstage and good imaging. I really like the combination of good separation and being able to hear were all the various audio cues are coming from.
- I'd also prefer circumaural headphones, but it's not a requirement.

If I need to be more specific with anything let me know. And thanks in advance!

I think the Audio Technica AD900 (or higher up) would be a great fit for you. Midcentric sound, great staging, slightly laid back with a light texture. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #9,179 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm heading to the US real soon and I would like to pick a headphone for 70% movies and 30% games. My budget is around $200. I want something with a good amount of bass. I've been hearing good things about the DT770 Pro 80. How does that compare to the DT880 or the DT990? I know these two are out of my budget but I'm curious about them. I see that the HD598, PC360, and the DT770 Pro 80 are all around the same price. Is there a difference between the DT770 Pro 80ohm and the 250ohm? I'm using the Tritton AX 720 surround sound processor to power my the headphones. I don't need isolation. I rather have open and comfortable headphones. I just want it to have some good bass for single player games and movies. If the HD598 is anything like the HD558 I think I wouldn't like them. Sure they were nice for gaming competitively but it had very little bass. 

I also have the Sony XB500 and I find they have too much bass. Everything is muddled by the bass. I want the mid and highs from the HD558 I've tried combine with a little less bass than the XB500

Which one would you guys suggest for my needs? Should I step up and just get the DT990 which from what I've read will do basically all I need? I'm willing to up my budget to $300 if so.

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #9,180 of 29,490

Hi;

I made a new thread for this right before I noticed this 613 page thread right here for this exact purpose! Sorry. 

Feel free to skim. I am a writer by trade, spending my days typing as concisely as possible, so I tend to carelessly ramble and wander with the words I write on my own time.

Which "high end" Audio Technica headphone should I buy?

A long time ago, my first set of good headphones I ever bought was the ATH-A700. I traded them away for HD595s, and from there I went to my current D5000. I still fondly recall the sounds of those ATH-A700s, though. Very pleasant headphones, and very comfortable too!   

Today, I listen to music with my Denon AH-D5000 plugged straight into the headphone output of my Benchmark DAC1 USB, which in turn goes straight into my PC with ASIO and a bevy of flac files. 

NOTE: I am not trying to replace my Denons, I merely want a second pair of headphones to go along with them. 

Anyway, life story aside - I really have this urge to get a high end Audio Technica headphone, for two main reasons:
1: They are beautiful (ATH-W1000x, ATH-W5000, ATH-A2000 -- all look fantastic).
2: Nostalgia for my old long gone ATH-A700 with it's super comfortable wings and nice sound.

Thing is, I am not certain which I should go for. I have heard a few things about the top end Audio Technicas, and each sounds appealing in its own way. 

From what I understand:

W5000 - is absolutely divine for female vocals (I like female vocals a lot). I assume these would be good for everything from Sarah Brightman to Loreena McKennit to Diana Krall to .. dare I say it, The Cranberries, The Cardigans? I hear that the bass is truly lacking in these headphones. Well, the ATH-A700 had "enough" bass to be reasonable for me; I enjoyed trance and electronic music on those headphones. Would the W5000 sound terrible if I played some vocal trance through them, or would it just color the songs in a very unique way? I am not sure how "versatile" these are, but they seem very sophisticated and classy, and it is allegedly the flagship headphone of Audio Technica? That reputation is attractive.

W1000x - These have much cleaner and tighter bass than my Denon AH-D5000. Is the extension down as low? If I listen to dubstep on these (should I feel compelled to...) would they sputter out and gasp for breath during the long and low bass lines? If the bass is allegedly "more controlled," what does that mean? Should I expect these to sound way crisper and punchier than the Denons on tracks with double-bass drums pounding out at a high BPM? What about the rest of the spectrum - are these things anywhere near as good at vocals as the W5000 is supposed to be?  These headphones are absolutely gorgeous and I am most attracted to them visually.

A2000x - I have heard next to nothing about these. Nobody seems to own them at all. They are titanium and look fantastic, though. For some reason, from what little I have read, I suspect these would be really good for stuff like t.A.T.u.? If that's true, I guess they could be my go-to headphone for treble-ly J-pop music and similar? I also heard that these headphones are so utterly transparent that they "let you hear your amp, and have no sound of their own." What? These are a mystery, and I am slightly drawn to them for that mystery.  

On another note, are any of these even audibly more "detailed" or "clear" than my current D5000s? Buying the D5000 as a clear upgrade to my old HD595 was an easy move, but from here on out it seems a lot more complicated to decide which headphones are better than others and for what reasons.

Are there even any other contenders from AT to consider besides these 3?  

And, I don't mean to be rude by pre-empting this, but please don't suggest non Audio Technica headphones. I've really got my heart set on this brand name for my next set of cans, and I still have my entire life ahead of me to explore other brands, too! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back