++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 4, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #5,806 of 29,490
Can anyone comment on sound quality with the Senn PC360 headset? Both this and the HD 598s are available at my local store for the same price and I'm curious how they compare. The reason I want to know is because if the sound quality is comparable I'd rather get the headset than have to mess around with getting an extra microphone (these headphones are to be for computer use and I do a lot of gaming/voip on a regular basis). Note that I don't really care about "positional" audio for games, I'm more concerned with musical quality. Also, I'm only concerned with PC360 vs HD598 since I can get them locally, so please don't give me other recommendations.

(I already got my 598s today and they sound great, but since I can return them for full price to the store maybe tomorrow I'll just pick up the PC360 and compare them for myself before returning one.)

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #5,807 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm a fan of the aesthetics of Grado products. Open-air headphones, not so much. Is there anything that has a similar style, but one that wouldn't bother anyone else in the room?

Hmm, none that I can think of. You could always try the odd experiment of closing off the cup on a grado...

Quote:

looks good i think id prefer closed. but the cable on the 440 is too long

You could just get a coiled cord for it.

Quote:
Hello guys, I was wondering if you could help me select a new pair of headphones. I have used the JVC Marshmallow headphones all my life and finally decided to upgrade to over-the-head headphones.

My criteria for headphones goes like this
1) Value (My budget is about 70 dollars. If you have any better recommendations than the ones I have below, please say so)
2) Sound Quality (I mainly listen to alternative rock, jazz, and classical)
3) Comfort
4) Portability
5) Durability (Lasts at least 3 years?)
6) Fitting (My head is slightly big)

My standards aren't very high, as you can see. I would mainly be using these headphones at home for watching movies or going on youtube, listening to alternative rock, jazz, classical and I would occasionally use them outside.

The headphones I have in mind are:
1) Sony MDR - V6 (I've heard extremely good reviews for these. Any negatives? And why are these considered "Studio" headphones?)
2) Sony MDR - V600 (I hear these are inferior to the MDR - V6. Should I not even consider these?)
3) Sennheiser HD-515 (I know the Sennheiser company is known for producing good headphones, and these look really good but seem to have gotten bad reviews)
4) Sennheiser HD- 428 (again, looks good, seems to have gotten good reviews.  Do Sennheiser headphones close? How are these for portability?)
5) Sony MDR - XB500

I'd appreciate it if you could narrow down some choices for me, stating your preferences and dislikes. (Please don't use any in-depth terminology relating to specs and whatnot, I won't understand it!) Again, I'm coming from JVC Marshmallow headphones, so I don't have high standards. Thank you!

1) They're good and have been a nearly an industry standard for years (up there with HD280 and K240/270)
2) pass on it
3) spend the few extra bucks to get the 555 then pull out the foam and you have a virtual 595 for half the price
4) I would not consider these portable since they do not fold up in any fashion
5) lots of bass that's kinda muddy and bleeds into the mids

Of those choices presented, the Sony V6 is easily recommended above the others.

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm searching for new over-head headphones for my PC at home. I will listen to some music (rock, Drum'n'bass, pop) and watch movies. Don't want to buy an amplifier. Got around $100. The most important thing is comfort, they shouln't heat the ears. I want to use them for a couple of hours without my ears hurting after that. A cable should be around 2 meters, but that is not critical.

Thanks!

Senn HD555, pull the foam to mod to the 595 and you're at a top notch headphone for under $100. 

Quote:
Can anyone comment on sound quality with the Senn PC360 headset? Both this and the HD 598s are available at my local store for the same price and I'm curious how they compare. The reason I want to know is because if the sound quality is comparable I'd rather get the headset than have to mess around with getting an extra microphone (these headphones are to be for computer use and I do a lot of gaming/voip on a regular basis). Note that I don't really care about "positional" audio for games, I'm more concerned with musical quality. Also, I'm only concerned with PC360 vs HD598 since I can get them locally, so please don't give me other recommendations.

(I already got my 598s today and they sound great, but since I can return them for full price to the store maybe tomorrow I'll just pick up the PC360 and compare them for myself before returning one.)

I believe they're the same headphone (or the PC360 is based on the 595 predecessor), with the only difference being the mic. 

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #5,808 of 29,490
     Quote:
Yipes your choices are going all over the place. One active noise cancelling, one open, two DJ/studio types. How about going somewhere in between with the Senn HD380, which is like the PXC450 but without the extra cost of noise cancellation circuitry.

Thanks for the reply, I was at one stage considering the Hd380 but the reviews on headroom were fairly dodgy so I strayed away from them. I'm fairly new so I'm impartial to the open/closed thing, hence the mix between my choices but I think the DJ type headphones look best because of the suitability to electronic music and the like.
Many thanks for replying again,
windyridge4

Aug 4, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #5,810 of 29,490
Hey guys, I was hoping that I could get some recommendations for a new set of headphones. I am upgrading from ATH-M50s, and am trying to spend 300$ or less if possible. I listen to pretty much every genre of music, and it will be for mainly in house use and probably for walking outside sometimes. If possible, I would also like it to be more comfortable than the M50s as they were a bit rough over long periods of time for me. Sound quality is my top priority though, the M50s were my first real set of headphones and I would love to add to my collection. I've been looking at the DT880s but I'm unsure of how much better if at all they are than the M50s. Any information or other suggestions would be highly appreciated!

I also understand that I may need an amp for whatever headphones I decide to purchase, I would take any recommendations of an amp as well as I have no idea about them.

Thanks guys!

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #5,811 of 29,490
Hi all,

[size=10.0pt]I would like to buy full size cans to go with my Xonar Essence STX soundcard, and I'd really like to hear your thoughts.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]About me[/size]

[size=10.0pt]I've never been into high end audio and have a hard time connecting with some of the jargon around here. This is my first purchase but I'm really hoping to skip the "getting started" phase which has you constantly itching to upgrade. I'd rather skip the beginner's class, so to speak, and get today something that'll last me a while. [/size]

[size=10.0pt]I believe I'm pretty sensitive to audio quality. Even with rudimentary setups I notice a difference between lossy and lossless and appreciate the clarity gained from bypassing Microsoft's signal processing in Windows XP.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]The headphones need to be comfortable for long sessions and fit a big head. Cable needs to be long enough to reach the STX.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Source[/size]

[size=10.0pt]For now I'll stick with the STX but I'm willing to upgrade the opamps if you recommend. I do not want to use EQ or Dolby effects. Seasonic was kind enough to send an X-series power supply my way (a model known for low ripple) and I hope the card will benefit from it (would it?) It is pretty quiet around here so open-air design is fine.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Budget[/size]

[size=10.0pt]$500 enough?[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Past Experience[/size]

[size=10.0pt]I previously had a Creative Gigaworks T40 powered set and it was nice for the most part. The Gigaworks T20 and T40 are known to have some audiophile qualities. I thought the highs were brilliant. They were very detailed yet soft and pleasant to the ear. Vocals were free of sibilance which was a blessing because I cannot stand it. The mids were good too. Unfortunately, the bass was weak and that spoiled the experience big time. I also couldn't get a good sound stage because the speakers were not designed for a small space.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Interestingly, volume control on the T40 speakers behaved differently from ordinary equipment. Cranking up the volume did not make the output outright loud, but instead increased the presence of individual parts of the music.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]I also briefly tested the Audioengine A5 speakers and really liked how vocals sounded lifelike. With Coldplay - Fix You I could close my eyes and imagine the band was right there in front of me. I wasn't impressed with the bass and details but maybe my source was not good enough -- a Meizu M6 MP3 player. But then again, the A5s were designed for portable players, so maybe they're forgiving by design, concealing MP3 artifacts at the cost of finer details? That wouldn't be my taste.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Music[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Mostly accessible stuff. I listen to pop and movie soundtracks, all lossless. Movies are equally important and my favorite genres are drama, horror and Disney but not action or crime. The film audio track is typically a lossy 192 K. As for games I'm not much into competitive levels so positional accuracy doesn't matter, but I could do justice to cinematic moments from Modern Warfare 2, then I'm a happy camper. I'd also love to jump into the scenery of Bioshock.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]What's most important is that the headphones capture the atmosphere in both film and music material, essentially helping one "escape." I'd really like them deliver epic and dramatic moments with full awesomeness, but in a way which is not aggressive or unpleasantly loud.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Some pieces, in particular, that I would love to hear "done right":[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Madonna - Rain[/size] (2:36)
[size=10.0pt]Dido - Life for Rent[/size]
[size=10.0pt]The Prince Of Egypt - Deliver Us[/size] (2:10)
[size=10.0pt]Gladiator - The General who Became a Slave[/size] (0:29)
[size=10.0pt]Lion King - Ending[/size] (4:20)
[size=10.0pt]Spirited Away - The Empty Restaurant[/size] (2:18)
Spirited Away - The Sixth Station (2:16)
[size=10.0pt]Spirited Away - Reprise[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Princess Mononoke - Journey to the West[/size] (1:27)
[size=10.0pt]Princess Mononoke - A****aka and San[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Phantom of the Opera - Journey to the Cemetery[/size] (esp. 2:28)
[size=10.0pt]Frank Klepacki - Hell March[/size][size=10.0pt]... quite a departure from others, yeah[/size][size=10.0pt].[/size]
[size=10.0pt]CoD - Modern Warfare 2 Mission 6[/size]

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #5,812 of 29,490
Hi Guys!

Current Setup(Sig): Foobar(FLAC, WASAPI) -> Asus Xonar ST -> Shure SRH840
Budget: $700 ~ $800
Everything new, i dont have access for used stuff (cant see/try anything, im not from US; and i hate gambling xD)

Poll:
1) HD650 + Amp(suggestion?)
2) PSB Image B6 + Onkyo TX-8255
3) Monitor Audio BX2 + Onkyo TX-8255
4) PSB Image B5 + NAD C316BEE
5) Monitor Audio M@ + NAD C316BEE

Would anything of this make a noticeable difference in SQ ? I wanted to get open headphones, which means I'll hear everything and everything hears me ! So i started thinking about speakers, Thanks for your input!

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #5,813 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks for the reply!

I only discovered Nico Touches the Walls quite recently as the song 'Hologram' was one of the openings for the anime Fullmetal Alchemist!!
I've only heard a few more of their singles but I think 'Nico Touches the Walls' and another japanese band called 'FLOW' (you should check them out) are what rock should sound like. Which album for Nico touches the Walls do you think is worth getting?

Now back to headphones. I haven't considered earphones/IEM's for jrock much but since checking out other posts on MDR-E888 they might be worth considering instead of headphones. I've read about the RE0's before but the microphonics(?)/crackling puts me off.  What is it about E888 that is good for jrock? Also would the E888 be could for soundtracks which include classical instruments, and softer jrock.

EDIT:How to the  Fostex T-5 compare with E888s. also have you heard any audio technica. They are apparently good for Jrock/Jpop. One user uses CK1000 but i think thats more for Jpop, and queit a few recommend ES7.
Is the crackling noticeable with RE0's 'cos they are rated as one the best IEMs

Yes the E888 and RE0 work with heavier visual kei type stuff, neither of them are overly bassy, and they don't deliver goosebumps (apart from vocals, which excel on both!), they mostly just deliver the "tonality" of J-rock type music correctly, the correct delivery of frequencies from their ESP guitars I guess is the most important, alongside vocals and a good sensation of the drum patterns and synthy sounds, I could use the word "magic" but that's not very technical :wink:

I haven't heard any microphonics on the RE0 yet, but haven't taken them outside yet either so.

Please check the following threads and we can continue the discussion there, these should be useful to you.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/558427/kiteki-review-audio-technica-ath-ck10-the-calvin-klein-various-iem-sound-impressions (look for where I mention the band Pierrot)

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/514102/testing-for-speed-in-iem-s-please-participate-in-my-test-speed-metal-visual-kei-symphonic-metal-instrumental-electric-guitar-shredding

I'll check out the band FLOW as you mentioned, but please remind me.

As for the Fostex T-5, well it's not amazing or anything, it's just pretty upfront and engaging, I have limited experience with portable headphones so I don't have much good advice there really, but I've heard quite a few IEM's and I know what I like and when I hear it and which are suitable for J-rock and which are not, it's not too hard.

You can follow my RE0 thread as well since I recommended that for J-rock (an easy recommendation, espeically for $79) but you'll need some amplification for it, or a DAP with loud volume.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/565498/kiteki-review-what-s-up-re0

Quote:

Kiteki

I mostly listen to rock, techno and songs with a heavy bass, so i would say bass and warmth. The IEMS tend to hurt my ears so i would prefer headphones

Then perhaps the Beyerdynamic DT 770, they come in different Ohm sizes, choose lower for easy to drive, and higher if you have good amplification.

If you're willing to "take a risk" and go for clarity check out the Shure SRH-940, trust me they work fantastic with rock and techno, and will sound 3 times better than your friends Dr. Dre Studio (I listened to both of them on the same day).

Quote:
I listen to alternative rock stuff at the most, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, The National, a lot of more mellow stuff, like Norah Jones, Fleet Foxes, Kings of Convenience, very few HEAVY stuff, i also like Blues and Jazz, but not that much, i don't plan to listen to classical music, i think that's a important point.

I'm looking for a natural sound, since i don't have a amp, our a DAC, and i'm planning to use then with my computer and iPod.

Yes, now that Paypal it's a possibility, a new horizon is in front of me, but now i feel kinda lost, i feel like the Grados are the most simple choice, since like everyone say good things about then.

About my budget, i was planning to spend that much because it was the only option, now, i really want to keep it under $100 mark, because the shipping rates are insane (the lowest one is about $35.

Under $100? Then don't feel lost, just go for the Grado SR60's like you originally intended.

Here's some interesting articles on stuff under $100 if you want to keep searching http://www.headfonia.com/category/budget/1-100/

Check out the Fostex TH-7 review, it's a "flagship" under $100 and he said it sounds great with Norah Jones which you mentioned you like.

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #5,814 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi all,

[size=10pt]I would like to buy full size cans to go with my Xonar Essence STX soundcard, and I'd really like to hear your thoughts.[/size]

[size=10pt]About me[/size]

[size=10pt]I've never been into high end audio and have a hard time connecting with some of the jargon around here. This is my first purchase but I'm really hoping to skip the "getting started" phase which has you constantly itching to upgrade. I'd rather skip the beginner's class, so to speak, and get today something that'll last me a while. [/size]

[size=10pt]I believe I'm pretty sensitive to audio quality. Even with rudimentary setups I notice a difference between lossy and lossless and appreciate the clarity gained from bypassing Microsoft's signal processing in Windows XP.[/size]

[size=10pt]The headphones need to be comfortable for long sessions and fit a big head. Cable needs to be long enough to reach the STX.[/size]

[size=10pt]Source[/size]

[size=10pt]For now I'll stick with the STX but I'm willing to upgrade the opamps if you recommend. I do not want to use EQ or Dolby effects. Seasonic was kind enough to send an X-series power supply my way (a model known for low ripple) and I hope the card will benefit from it (would it?) It is pretty quiet around here so open-air design is fine.[/size]

[size=10pt]Budget[/size]

[size=10pt]$500 enough?[/size]

[size=10pt]Past Experience[/size]

[size=10pt]I previously had a Creative Gigaworks T40 powered set and it was nice for the most part. The Gigaworks T20 and T40 are known to have some audiophile qualities. I thought the highs were brilliant. They were very detailed yet soft and pleasant to the ear. Vocals were free of sibilance which was a blessing because I cannot stand it. The mids were good too. Unfortunately, the bass was weak and that spoiled the experience big time. I also couldn't get a good sound stage because the speakers were not designed for a small space.[/size]

[size=10pt]Interestingly, volume control on the T40 speakers behaved differently from ordinary equipment. Cranking up the volume did not make the output outright loud, but instead increased the presence of individual parts of the music.[/size]

[size=10pt]I also briefly tested the Audioengine A5 speakers and really liked how vocals sounded lifelike. With Coldplay - Fix You I could close my eyes and imagine the band was right there in front of me. I wasn't impressed with the bass and details but maybe my source was not good enough -- a Meizu M6 MP3 player. But then again, the A5s were designed for portable players, so maybe they're forgiving by design, concealing MP3 artifacts at the cost of finer details? That wouldn't be my taste.[/size]

[size=10pt]Music[/size]

[size=10pt]Mostly accessible stuff. I listen to pop and movie soundtracks, all lossless. Movies are equally important and my favorite genres are drama, horror and Disney but not action or crime. The film audio track is typically a lossy 192 K. As for games I'm not much into competitive levels so positional accuracy doesn't matter, but I could do justice to cinematic moments from Modern Warfare 2, then I'm a happy camper. I'd also love to jump into the scenery of Bioshock.[/size]

[size=10pt]What's most important is that the headphones capture the atmosphere in both film and music material, essentially helping one "escape." I'd really like them deliver epic and dramatic moments with full awesomeness, but in a way which is not aggressive or unpleasantly loud.[/size]

[size=10pt]Some pieces, in particular, that I would love to hear "done right":[/size]

[size=10pt]Madonna - Rain[/size] (2:36)
[size=10pt]Dido - Life for Rent[/size]
[size=10pt]The Prince Of Egypt - Deliver Us[/size] (2:10)
[size=10pt]Gladiator - The General who Became a Slave[/size] (0:29)
[size=10pt]Lion King - Ending[/size] (4:20)
[size=10pt]Spirited Away - The Empty Restaurant[/size] (2:18)
[size=10pt]Spirited Away - Reprise[/size]
[size=10pt]Princess Mononoke - Journey to the West[/size] (1:27)
[size=10pt]Princess Mononoke - A****aka and San[/size]
[size=10pt]Phantom of the Opera - Journey to the Cemetery[/size] (esp. 2:28)
[size=10pt]Frank Klepacki - Hell March[/size][size=10pt]... quite a departure from others, yeah[/size][size=10pt].[/size]
[size=10pt]CoD - Modern Warfare 2 Mission 6[/size]

Wow, long post!

You seem pretty perceptive with that windows bypassing and lossy vs lossless, I guess you need some quality cans!

I know what you're talking about with "skipping the upgrade path", well all I can say is I've been on the upgrade path for a while now, and I found the Shure SRH-940 and the Audio Technica A2000X as the only headphones I feel reached a "summit" for me, I wish a knew that sound quality existed years ago, then I would have bought one of those two (especially the A2000X I guess) and been very happy enjoying music more the last few years.

That's just my personal story, but with your budget and wanting to skip the chain, those are the only two headphones I can comfortably recommend to you!

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #5,815 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi Guys!

Everything new, i dont have access for used stuff (cant see/try anything, im not from US; and i hate gambling xD)

Poll:

Would anything of this make a noticeable difference in SQ ? I wanted to get open headphones, which means I'll hear everything and everything hears me ! So i started thinking about speakers, Thanks for your input!

Save your money and upgrade to Shure SRH-940, the difference is massive, if the 840 is a level 5 the 940 is a level 8.

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #5,816 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys, I was hoping that I could get some recommendations for a new set of headphones. I am upgrading from ATH-M50s, and am trying to spend 300$ or less if possible. I listen to pretty much every genre of music, and it will be for mainly in house use and probably for walking outside sometimes. If possible, I would also like it to be more comfortable than the M50s as they were a bit rough over long periods of time for me. Sound quality is my top priority though, the M50s were my first real set of headphones and I would love to add to my collection. I've been looking at the DT880s but I'm unsure of how much better if at all they are than the M50s. Any information or other suggestions would be highly appreciated!

I also understand that I may need an amp for whatever headphones I decide to purchase, I would take any recommendations of an amp as well as I have no idea about them.

Thanks guys!

Unless you live in a very quiet neighbourhood, you'll want something closed to block out noise when you go outside. You could go with the DT770 which is the closed one in that family. The Beyers do like to have a little more grunt behind them, though most of the modern portable amps should do an ok job pushing them (even those around the $100 mark). 

One of the most comfortable full sized cans I've ever worn are the Phiaton PS500. You could also consider a Senn HD380 or B&W P5, the latter being quite different in sound and form than the others, but offers excellent comfort and isolation as well as portability. 

Quote:
Hi all,

[size=10.0pt]I would like to buy full size cans to go with my Xonar Essence STX soundcard, and I'd really like to hear your thoughts.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]About me[/size]

[size=10.0pt]I've never been into high end audio and have a hard time connecting with some of the jargon around here. This is my first purchase but I'm really hoping to skip the "getting started" phase which has you constantly itching to upgrade. I'd rather skip the beginner's class, so to speak, and get today something that'll last me a while. [/size]

[size=10.0pt]I believe I'm pretty sensitive to audio quality. Even with rudimentary setups I notice a difference between lossy and lossless and appreciate the clarity gained from bypassing Microsoft's signal processing in Windows XP.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]The headphones need to be comfortable for long sessions and fit a big head. Cable needs to be long enough to reach the STX.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Source[/size]

[size=10.0pt]For now I'll stick with the STX but I'm willing to upgrade the opamps if you recommend. I do not want to use EQ or Dolby effects. Seasonic was kind enough to send an X-series power supply my way (a model known for low ripple) and I hope the card will benefit from it (would it?) It is pretty quiet around here so open-air design is fine.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Budget[/size]

[size=10.0pt]$500 enough?[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Past Experience[/size]

[size=10.0pt]I previously had a Creative Gigaworks T40 powered set and it was nice for the most part. The Gigaworks T20 and T40 are known to have some audiophile qualities. I thought the highs were brilliant. They were very detailed yet soft and pleasant to the ear. Vocals were free of sibilance which was a blessing because I cannot stand it. The mids were good too. Unfortunately, the bass was weak and that spoiled the experience big time. I also couldn't get a good sound stage because the speakers were not designed for a small space.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Interestingly, volume control on the T40 speakers behaved differently from ordinary equipment. Cranking up the volume did not make the output outright loud, but instead increased the presence of individual parts of the music.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]I also briefly tested the Audioengine A5 speakers and really liked how vocals sounded lifelike. With Coldplay - Fix You I could close my eyes and imagine the band was right there in front of me. I wasn't impressed with the bass and details but maybe my source was not good enough -- a Meizu M6 MP3 player. But then again, the A5s were designed for portable players, so maybe they're forgiving by design, concealing MP3 artifacts at the cost of finer details? That wouldn't be my taste.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Music[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Mostly accessible stuff. I listen to pop and movie soundtracks, all lossless. Movies are equally important and my favorite genres are drama, horror and Disney but not action or crime. The film audio track is typically a lossy 192 K. As for games I'm not much into competitive levels so positional accuracy doesn't matter, but I could do justice to cinematic moments from Modern Warfare 2, then I'm a happy camper. I'd also love to jump into the scenery of Bioshock.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]What's most important is that the headphones capture the atmosphere in both film and music material, essentially helping one "escape." I'd really like them deliver epic and dramatic moments with full awesomeness, but in a way which is not aggressive or unpleasantly loud.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Some pieces, in particular, that I would love to hear "done right":[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Madonna - Rain[/size] (2:36)
[size=10.0pt]Dido - Life for Rent[/size]
[size=10.0pt]The Prince Of Egypt - Deliver Us[/size] (2:10)
[size=10.0pt]Gladiator - The General who Became a Slave[/size] (0:29)
[size=10.0pt]Lion King - Ending[/size] (4:20)
[size=10.0pt]Spirited Away - The Empty Restaurant[/size] (2:18)
[size=10.0pt]Spirited Away - Reprise[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Princess Mononoke - Journey to the West[/size] (1:27)
[size=10.0pt]Princess Mononoke - A****aka and San[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Phantom of the Opera - Journey to the Cemetery[/size] (esp. 2:28)
[size=10.0pt]Frank Klepacki - Hell March[/size][size=10.0pt]... quite a departure from others, yeah[/size][size=10.0pt].[/size]
[size=10.0pt]CoD - Modern Warfare 2 Mission 6[/size]

Your soundcard should be fine. For headphones, how about diving right into something like the Hifiman HE-4. Orthos in my experience are just excellent all-rounders and give great presentation and staging along with fairly balanced sound. For escaping into music with dramatic moments, I feel the winged Audio Technicas do a great job of that. You can start poking around at options like the W1000x or AD2000 (a bit more expensive, but you can find them used in your price range).

Quote:
Hi Guys!

Poll:

If you've got the room for it, go for speakers man. That said, I can't help on the speaker end so I'll let someone else offer thoughts there.

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #5,817 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Your soundcard should be fine. For headphones, how about diving right into something like the Hifiman HE-4. Orthos in my experience are just excellent all-rounders and give great presentation and staging along with fairly balanced sound. For escaping into music with dramatic moments, I feel the winged Audio Technicas do a great job of that. You can start poking around at options like the W1000x or AD2000 (a bit more expensive, but you can find them used in your price range).

If you've got the room for it, go for speakers man. That said, I can't help on the speaker end so I'll let someone else offer thoughts there.

Lol, I recommended A2000X, well I guess any of those 3 AT models are very good choices!

For speakers, I don't think $500 is good enough to "skip the upgrade chain", especially not if you include the amp or receiver necessary.

A2000X you can drive directly from a soundcard and they sound surreal =) Well almost... on max volume...

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #5,818 of 29,490

Quote:

[size=10pt]Some pieces, in particular, that I would love to hear "done right":[/size]

[size=10pt]Madonna - Rain[/size] (2:36)
[size=10pt]Dido - Life for Rent[/size]
[size=10pt]The Prince Of Egypt - Deliver Us[/size] (2:10)
[size=10pt]Gladiator - The General who Became a Slave[/size] (0:29)
[size=10pt]Lion King - Ending[/size] (4:20)
[size=10pt]Spirited Away - The Empty Restaurant[/size] (2:18)
[size=10pt]Spirited Away - Reprise[/size]
[size=10pt]Princess Mononoke - Journey to the West[/size] (1:27)
[size=10pt]Princess Mononoke - A****aka and San[/size]
[size=10pt]Phantom of the Opera - Journey to the Cemetery[/size] (esp. 2:28)
[size=10pt]Frank Klepacki - Hell March[/size][size=10pt]... quite a departure from others, yeah[/size][size=10pt].[/size]
[size=10pt]CoD - Modern Warfare 2 Mission 6[/size]

Ok, after listening to several of those, it seems like you really like the "epic bass moments", so maybe the AT's aren't for you afterall and you need something bass-heavy to deliver that orchestration in all it's glory.

Not sure what to recommend now, but I never heard Madonna - Rain sound so good before as on the A2000X. =) Thanks for that.

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #5,819 of 29,490
I've decided i want another pair of headphones ^_^ 

What i have are
  1. Audio Technica ATH-M50
  2. Alessandro MS-1i
  3. PortaPros
  4. Shure SE215s

I love the M50s, and the MS-1s, but now i want something that isnt like them..
I want something neutral, to show the music for what it really is.

Budget.. i'll say 300euro or less
Amp: None.. (will consider gettting one, feel free to suggest)
I dont mind if it's open or closed, they'll never be leaving the house.

Thanks.

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #5,820 of 29,490

Quote:
It may be worth looking at JBL's latest cans (Quicksilver's and Roxy's). They're super portable and really come alive after some burn-in. They're a little up on the bass curve, though.
http://www.jbl.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductList.aspx?SID=ONH

is jbl like akg both by harmon or something?

Quote:
Hmm, none that I can think of. You could always try the odd experiment of closing off the cup on a grado...

You could just get a coiled cord for it.

1) They're good and have been a nearly an industry standard for years (up there with HD280 and K240/270)
2) pass on it
3) spend the few extra bucks to get the 555 then pull out the foam and you have a virtual 595 for half the price
4) I would not consider these portable since they do not fold up in any fashion
5) lots of bass that's kinda muddy and bleeds into the mids

Of those choices presented, the Sony V6 is easily recommended above the others.

Senn HD555, pull the foam to mod to the 595 and you're at a top notch headphone for under $100. 

I believe they're the same headphone (or the PC360 is based on the 595 predecessor), with the only difference being the mic. 

coiled cord? h0w or should i just save up for m50 coiled?

Quote:
Holy cow! The AKG K701 headphones are only $240 direct. Check it out here: http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/outlet.asp?status=C&brand=AKG

They also have the JBL Reference 430 cans for a good price in the clearance section... and those are surprisingly good at double their price after a week of burn-in.

Looks like they're also phasing out the K242HD and K181DJ... the latter being good bass thumpers.

Quote:
Senn PX200-ii

Would he consider an iem? Those work much better for blocking noise.

For headphones with good isolation: Senn HD25-1-ii, B&W P5, Beyer DT770, Shure 840/940

I say go with the LCD2 just for something more different sounding.

Sony V6/7506
Shure 440

Check out local music stores. They should have a good selection of headphones to choose from.

The XB700 are generally well liked around here for their bass. Also look at Ultrasone HFI580.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back