++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 3, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #5,776 of 29,490
Awesome!  Ya I like the challenge to build things or figure them out myself (I just think its a male thing in general) but it got me excited to know that I could build my own amp (with the instructions of course...lol) and learn how the amp actually works.  
On a side note I was looking at the Schiit bifrost dac.  Is it just me or does it look like theres no HP output on the face of the dac?? 
confused.gif

Quote:
Had one, sold it, used the funds to buy another, will probably repeat 
rolleyes.gif
 I just like building things. The Crack is an excellent amp and pairs very well with the large Senns. Here's my latest build... (with my Sextetts)

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #5,777 of 29,490
Hello again!
I got my M-Audio Q40 today and they sounds very good, but it feels like the cups are a little too small. Or maybe it's the pads that fits bad?( i read about that in th Q40 thread). My old headset Steelseries Siberia V1 fits much better. And i know there's a big difference between them because Q40 is closed and Siberia V1 is open. But the Siberia V1 cups fits my ears much better beacause they are a little bigger and have a little different shape inside.

So is there any headphones that is simular to Q40 but with bigger cups? And is the XB700's cups bigger?

My price range is still 0-150$ I maybe can pay a little more if there is any very good alternative.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

//Blabbet

( And excuse my English because I am tired and have English as a second language)

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #5,778 of 29,490
Hello again!
I got my M-Audio Q40 today and they sounds very good, but it feels like the cups are a little too small. Or maybe it's the pads that fits bad?( i read about that in th Q40 thread). My old headset Steelseries Siberia V1 fits much better. And i know there's a big difference between them because Q40 is closed and Siberia V1 is open. But the Siberia V1 cups fits my ears much better beacause they are a little bigger and have a little different shape inside.

So is there any headphones that is simular to Q40 but with bigger cups? And is the XB700's cups bigger?

My price range is still 0-150$ I maybe can pay a little more if there is any very good alternative.

//Blabbet

( And excuse my English because I am tired and have English as a second language)

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #5,780 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello BioRaver.

The beats by Dr. Dre Studio are horribly overpriced for how they sound, I'm not being a snob I just listened to them and was really surprised at the pricetag I'm sorry =)

1. What music do you listen to, and do you want detail and clarity or just bass and warmth?

2. Do you only want headphones, or will consider IEM's?

Kiteki

I mostly listen to rock, techno and songs with a heavy bass, so i would say bass and warmth. The IEMS tend to hurt my ears so i would prefer headphones

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #5,781 of 29,490

Hey all,

I'm looking to get a fairly decent pair of headphones and am stuck between a few pairs. Could anyone please give me some pointers on which of the following is best as I am only a new audiophile :p

So far, I'm looking at:

Pioneer HDJ-1000 DJ

Sennheiser PXC 450 NoiseGard Active Noise-Canceling Headphones

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones

[size=1.7em] Sennheiser HD595 Dynamic High Grade Performance Premiere Headphones (possibly the HD 598 but apparently there isn't much of a difference except from the price and dodgy styling)

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

[size=1.7em]  If anyone reading this has any suggestions or experiences with these headphones or any others, please comment. My budget CAN stretch to about €300 if they are exceptionally good, otherwise I'd prefer it to be under €200/$280ish dollars. My music taste is mixed, but veered towards electronic and rock so bass would be a large factor, so again, closed cup would probably be best althogh I'd be partial to either. Main input device is my iPhone (so it wont just be used for home use) with fairly crappy bitrate MP3s so if they are exceptionally harsh then that'd be another factor. Comfort is an added extra, but not overly important.[/size]

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Thanks so much for reading this and I hope I've supplied all necessary information, if not please comment.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

[/size]

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #5,782 of 29,490
I made a separate thread, but no harm in asking here. Can anyone help me decide between a Sennheiser HD580 and HD598? Source will be my computer w/ an HT Omega Striker soundcard, amplified by a Schiit Asgard. My main genres are rock based (artists being Jimmy Eat World, House of Heroes, The Classic Crime, Say Anything, The Dear Hunter, New Found Glory, etc... and various female vocalists) and classical. If you want more of the bands I listen to, just ask.

I understand that the HD580 is basically the HD600. I also understand that the HD598 will have a larger soundstage and more forward mids (probably better for my genres), but the HD580/600 is technically superior? I have no means of sampling any of these headphones, so that's why I ask. I could just buy both, but I'm thinking that would be a waste of money if there's hardly any difference between the two.

Any advice/comments?

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #5,783 of 29,490
Hi everyone,

I am looking to get two sets of headphones.

One for bass-heavy music (electronica) and most of my lo-fi music. I have a lot of live recordings and outtakes/demos that are of poor quality. I am looking for headphones that can handle this reasonably well. This would be for extended, non-intensive listening. I had initially thought of an Audio Technica M50, but I understand from reviews it may not be the best for bass-heavy music?

The second one for hi quality recordings, for listening to Jazz and fusion, and (less so) classical music. This would be for intensive listening. I had initially considered a Sennheiser HD650 but on reading the forums I am not so sure anymore!

I am intending to buy a desktop headphone amplifier, possibly a little dot IV or similar. I'll be playing music mainly off my laptop or Android phone (using the headphone amp).

My total budget (for the 2 headphones) is US$600 or thereabouts.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #5,784 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello again!

//Blabbet

You could always try adding Beyer DT770 pads to the Q40 which will give some more depth and perhaps make them more comfortable.

The XB700 is indeed bigger.

You could also look into the Beyer DT770/880/990 pro series, which can be found for $170 new off Amazon. The cups are quite large and very deep.

Quote:

Hey all,
 I'm looking to get a fairly decent pair of headphones and am stuck between a few pairs. Could anyone please give me some pointers on which of the following is best as I am only a new audiophile :p
 So far, I'm looking at:

Pioneer HDJ-1000 DJ
Sennheiser PXC 450 NoiseGard Active Noise-Canceling Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones
[size=1.7em] Sennheiser HD595 Dynamic High Grade Performance Premiere Headphones (possibly the HD 598 but apparently there isn't much of a difference except from the price and dodgy styling)
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
[size=1.7em]  If anyone reading this has any suggestions or experiences with these headphones or any others, please comment. My budget CAN stretch to about €300 if they are exceptionally good, otherwise I'd prefer it to be under €200/$280ish dollars. My music taste is mixed, but veered towards electronic and rock so bass would be a large factor, so again, closed cup would probably be best althogh I'd be partial to either. Main input device is my iPhone (so it wont just be used for home use) with fairly crappy bitrate MP3s so if they are exceptionally harsh then that'd be another factor. Comfort is an added extra, but not overly important.[/size]
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
Thanks so much for reading this and I hope I've supplied all necessary information, if not please comment.
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
[/size]

Yipes your choices are going all over the place. One active noise cancelling, one open, two DJ/studio types. How about going somewhere in between with the Senn HD380, which is like the PXC450 but without the extra cost of noise cancellation circuitry.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #5,785 of 29,490

Quote:
I made a separate thread, but no harm in asking here. Can anyone help me decide between a Sennheiser HD580 and HD598? Source will be my computer w/ an HT Omega Striker soundcard, amplified by a Schiit Asgard. My main genres are rock based (artists being Jimmy Eat World, House of Heroes, The Classic Crime, Say Anything, The Dear Hunter, New Found Glory, etc... and various female vocalists) and classical. If you want more of the bands I listen to, just ask.

I understand that the HD580 is basically the HD600. I also understand that the HD598 will have a larger soundstage and more forward mids (probably better for my genres), but the HD580/600 is technically superior? I have no means of sampling any of these headphones, so that's why I ask. I could just buy both, but I'm thinking that would be a waste of money if there's hardly any difference between the two.

Any advice/comments?

Depends on the pricing, but if you can find the HD580 for around $100-120, go for that then spend the $20 to get the grills and cables off ebay and you have a virtual HD600.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I am looking to get two sets of headphones.

One for bass-heavy music (electronica) and most of my lo-fi music. I have a lot of live recordings and outtakes/demos that are of poor quality. I am looking for headphones that can handle this reasonably well. This would be for extended, non-intensive listening. I had initially thought of an Audio Technica M50, but I understand from reviews it may not be the best for bass-heavy music?

The second one for hi quality recordings, for listening to Jazz and fusion, and (less so) classical music. This would be for intensive listening. I had initially considered a Sennheiser HD650 but on reading the forums I am not so sure anymore!

I am intending to buy a desktop headphone amplifier, possibly a little dot IV or similar. I'll be playing music mainly off my laptop or Android phone (using the headphone amp).

My total budget (for the 2 headphones) is US$600 or thereabouts.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

1) Denon D2000 or Phiaton MS400 or Sennheiser PX100-ii
2) AKG K701/702 or Audio Technica AD2000 or Shure 940

(hey not bad, I covered six brands there without even intending it)

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #5,786 of 29,490

Quote:
You could always try adding Beyer DT770 pads to the Q40 which will give some more depth and perhaps make them more comfortable.

The XB700 is indeed bigger.

You could also look into the Beyer DT770/880/990 pro series, which can be found for $170 new off Amazon. The cups are quite large and very deep.

Is the sound in the Beyer DT... simular to the Q40?

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #5,788 of 29,490

Quote:
Is the sound in the Beyer DT... simular to the Q40?

Not really... the Q40 is bass sloped while the DT series are U-shaped in frequency response.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #5,789 of 29,490
Holy cow! The AKG K701 headphones are only $240 direct. Check it out here: http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/outlet.asp?status=C&brand=AKG

They also have the JBL Reference 430 cans for a good price in the clearance section... and those are surprisingly good at double their price after a week of burn-in.

Looks like they're also phasing out the K242HD and K181DJ... the latter being good bass thumpers.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #5,790 of 29,490
totaly irelevent but i kinda needf help........ i want something better then ms1 but less then 100 dollars im thinking about the ad700 but hnot sure about the sound leakage any others i should know btw i also want it to be portable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back