++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 4, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #5,821 of 29,490

Quote:
I've decided i want another pair of headphones ^_^ 

What i have are
  1. Audio Technica ATH-M50
  2. Alessandro MS-1i
  3. PortaPros
  4. Shure SE215s

I love the M50s, and the MS-1s, but now i want something that isnt like them..
I want something neutral, to show the music for what it really is.

Budget.. i'll say 300euro or less
Amp: None.. (will consider gettting one, feel free to suggest)
I dont mind if it's open or closed, they'll never be leaving the house.

Thanks.

Perhaps Shure SRH-940 and Matrix M-Stage amp.

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #5,822 of 29,490

[size=medium]
I am looking to upgrade my headphones and I was hoping to get some recommendations. For background, I am currently using Sennheiser 485s.  I have 2 sources for them: my iMac and a turntable. Both sources are being amplified by an Onkyo TX8255 which I plug my headphones directly into.  I mainly listen to raw rock (like Sonic Youth), electronic, indie rock and jazz. Looking to spend 100-150. 
[/size]

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #5,823 of 29,490
Been on this site for about six months now, but first post for me.
Got some Turbine's for $50 about three months ago. First impressions left me pretty meh. I actually would have taken them off after an hour if I wasn't so disappointed at how 'expensive' it was. I would have taken a pair of inkd headphones better. That being said, after actually putting some time in, I can confidently say it was possibly the greatest $50 I've ever spent. Seriously, how much iem-time per day is too much, health-wise? Even after 3 months, they consistently amaze every time I put them in. Anyone looking for their first pair should give these a strong consideration. I'd be surprised if someone could recommend a better iem under $100 value wise, considering Joker thought they were an impressive value at three times the price.
I have had some pretty significant issues with getting a good seal though, so much so that constantly reinsterting them rubbed my right ear pretty raw and my left ear was deaf for a week because some earwax got trapped. Sony hybrids helped but im still not quite where I want to be comfort wise. In regards to sound, they sound really really good, no complaints there, but everything has an upgrade.
SO as much as I love them, new headphone budget is $125, MAYBE $150. Priorities: 
*Sound. Somewhat analytical as I pay a lot of attention to my music while listening. Turbines did bass pretty well imo in terms of a quality, powerful low end rumble, but I prefer a bit more treble, and mids are recessed.
*Comfort. Either its there or it isn't. Listening sessions can be pretty long though.
*Convienence. Power, portability, durability, accessories etc.
*Soundstage and isolation. Prefer as much as possible of both.
I'm looking at Closed fullsized headphones mostly, as I don't get why you'd want open phones, and I don't think I'll have much luck finding better Iems in the price range (although def. open to suggestion) So far I am looking very strongly at the ath m50s but if there are better options, I'm all ears lol
I listen to Electronic (Infected musroom! Aphex twin, Spor, dubstep)
Rap (Aesop Rock, Del, Tech N9ne)
Rock/metal (RATM, Whitechapel, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Rammstein)
Mostly from an ipod nano or desktop headphone jack, rarely from a 4G ipod touch (WAY better SQ than nano)

Any suggestions would be sweet. Also, good new music is always appreciated.

Sorry for long post but audio is pretty addicting...

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #5,824 of 29,490

Quote:

Unless you live in a very quiet neighbourhood, you'll want something closed to block out noise when you go outside. You could go with the DT770 which is the closed one in that family. The Beyers do like to have a little more grunt behind them, though most of the modern portable amps should do an ok job pushing them (even those around the $100 mark). 

One of the most comfortable full sized cans I've ever worn are the Phiaton PS500. You could also consider a Senn HD380 or B&W P5, the latter being quite different in sound and form than the others, but offers excellent comfort and isolation as well as portability. 

Thanks so much for the reply! I will take a look at your suggestions, I appreciate it.

It's not a big deal if it's closed or not, the vast majority of its use will be inside my home. I was also taking look at the Denon AH-D2000 along with the DT880. How would you say these headphones and your suggested cans compare to the M50s? Are they better quality/very different sounding?

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #5,825 of 29,490
Hello.
I'm looking for a pair of full-size headphones under 70 dollars.
I will be using these headphones mainly on my computer, which has some crappy onboard sound card, and sometimes an iPod Touch.
Comfort is kind of important, because I would be using them pretty much all day.
I listen to acoustic singer/song writer stuff, piano rock, regular rock, trip-hop, indie rock, Burial-type Dubstep (2-step? Ambient Dubstep?), though it's not that important that it be tailored to those specific sounds, just as long as it isn't *bad* for them. 
I don't really care if they're closed or open.
I would like them to be durable.
Well, I think that's about it, but I am open to any questions, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #5,826 of 29,490
Heyo, I'm upgrading from a busted pair of Bose Triports.

They need to be around ear, and I don't care if they're open/closed as long as the leakage is low. (The Triports are considered semi-open. What I really like about them is that I can pretty much hear what's going on around me, but my music is only audible if it's turned very loud.) This is going to be for listening on my ipod and laptop, so I need something that won't sound like complete garbage without an amp. I'm fine with expensive headphones not being used to their full potential, I just don't want them to sound *bad* due to the source. I'd be willing to get a portable amp.

I want a warm, lush sound with good bass impact. I listen to mainly rock, indie (this genre needs a better name Dx), and trip-hop. Sometimes baroque and romantic. They must be comfortable enough to wear for like 5+ hours and have good build quality. Looks can be a deal-breaker.

Some that I've made note of so far:
-Beyer DT770
-Denon D2000
-AKG K271

I'd appreciate suggestions and advice of any kind!

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #5,827 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

I'm searching for new over-head headphones for my PC at home. I will listen to some music (rock, Drum'n'bass, pop) and watch movies. Don't want to buy an amplifier. Got around $100. The most important thing is comfort, they shouln't heat the ears. I want to use them for a couple of hours without my ears hurting after that. A cable should be around 2 meters, but that is not critical.

Thanks!

Senn HD555, pull the foam to mod to the 595 and you're at a top notch headphone for under $100. 

Thank you for your answer! HD555 are a little pricey for me. What do you think of AGK Q460? Are they comfortable? Or do you got any other set to recommend?

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #5,829 of 29,490
Looking for a pair of Headphones to replace my Samsom Sr850's

I listen to mostly Prog metal, Djent, alt rock, indie and a very small amount of Classical.
I would like a larger soundstage than the Sr850's
I like a fairly even response, dislike scooped mids, as I play guitar, so I like to really hear the guitars well.
Must be able to be driven from Mp3 player, Cdp, without an amp.
Must be circumaural (I can't stand on-ear)
Budget is £150.

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #5,830 of 29,490

Quote:

What are the prices like where you live?

I live in Israel, HD555 is around $190-200 here. Even on ebay it's $110, so I need something that worth about $70 in the US. I don't care much about quality, since I'm not an audiophile, just regular guy that don't want his ears to hurt. Don't get me wrong, I do want some quality over all, it's just on my scale of importance the comfort is much more important.

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #5,831 of 29,490

Quote:
I live in Israel, HD555 is around $190-200 here. Even on ebay it's $110, so I need something that worth about $70 in the US. I don't care much about quality, since I'm not an audiophile, just regular guy that don't want his ears to hurt. Don't get me wrong, I do want some quality over all, it's just on my scale of importance the comfort is much more important.

The Q460s are higher in price here than the HD555s.  That's why I asked.
Look up what a pair of AKG K240s will cost you.

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #5,834 of 29,490

Quote:
AKG Q460 are about $130-140 here. K240s are $170.

pay the 30 difference, it's totally worth it.
The K240s outplay the Q460 by a huge margin, a whole different class of headphones, almost mid-fi.

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #5,835 of 29,490

Quote:
AKG Q460 are about $130-140 here. K240s are $170.

I was thinking maybe AKG had more normal prices there.

Sony MDR-V6 (analytical / more natural)
Creative Aurvana Live (bassy / "fun")
And to cover cases:  JVC RX700 - these are just some very solid cheaper cans here. Surely not to break your price limit.

All sound very different.  If you want sound with more kick / deep bass: CAL > RX700 > V6
The V6 are definitely monitors.  You might not find the sound particularly engaging, but they offer an exceptional clarity and quality for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back