++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 5, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #5,836 of 29,490

Quote:
pay the 30 difference, it's totally worth it.
The K240s outplay the Q460 by a huge margin, a whole different class of headphones, almost mid-fi.

I don't think they really wanted to go above $100 at all, so I'm betting $170 is simply out of the question.

@drugcpp
the CALs will most likely be the most comfortable out of those suggestions,  but perhaps at the sacrifice of build quality in comparison to the other two.

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #5,837 of 29,490
I previously posted in this thread, seeking a match for my listening preferences.  However, I have a few questions.  Armaegis replied stating that I should try the Shure 840.  However, I have looked at its description, stating that it was a monitoring headphone, and I wonder what this means.  Also, I may not have made it clear in my previous post, but I listen to Rap, Classic Rock, and Hip-Hop in equal if not greater amounts than I listen to Classical (which I still significantly listen to).  My price limit is still around $200-$250 and I listen in a dorm environment on my Ipod and laptop (Preferably not requiring use of an amp).

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #5,838 of 29,490

Quote:
I don't think they really wanted to go above $100 at all, so I'm betting $170 is simply out of the question.

@drugcpp
the CALs will most likely be the most comfortable out of those suggestions,  but perhaps at the sacrifice of build quality in comparison to the other two.

I think I'll go with Creative Aurvana Live, if you say that they are probably most comfortable.
My old headphones broke, so initially I bought Sennheiser HD205 which doesn't fit to my ears, heat them and presses hard on my head. So I bought Sony MDR-V700 recently and I'm not satisfied with them either, after 40 mins my ears start to hurt. So I said to myself that if I do this mistake third time, I'll kill myself.

Thank you!

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #5,839 of 29,490
Ok guys, so turns out that i'm not actually able to use my bank account linked to paypal to buy things, just for receiving payments, so i'm back at square one at the "buy a headphone in a 3rd world country without a credit card" game.

My two options are still the Grado SR60i and the SR80 (which will be actually cheaper by 10 bucks). The choice is pretty clear, right? Go with the superior model, or i'm missing something here?

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #5,840 of 29,490
I posted a few days ago and to summarize, I'm looking for headphones with the thump-feeling the beats by dre give in the lows, but without losing clarity in the mids and highs. Music ranges from trance, house, 80s freestyle, dub step, hip hop, rap, rock, pop, 80s rock&pop, alternative rock, some metal, and some piano. These headphones are going to be used mainly for on-the-go purposes. So coiled and 12ft cords are not ideal. My budget is $200. I've been reading reviews and what not and from previous suggestions, I came up with a new list. I apologize for being a pain. 

Sennheiser HD25-1 ii
Ultrasone HFI-580
Denon AH-D11000
Phiaton MS400

AKGs and M-Audio Q40s are not on my list because multiple reviews claimed these were uncomfortable and the AT M50s seem like it doesn't offer the bass feeling that I would like. Thank you again for comments and suggestions. 

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #5,841 of 29,490
hey guys i need some help picking a mid-level set of cans

right now im kind of stuck between 
akg k701
beyerdynamic dt880
sennheiser hd600
sennheiser hd650

but i am open to other recommendations. i prefer over ear cans.

ive read tons of reviews but im really not sure which pair would best suit me.

right now i have a starving student millet hybrid but i will be building a soha II shortly.

i listen to mostly alternative/indie stuff, some post hardcore/pop punk, folk, and traditional irish. lots of acoustic music, but some of my music needs great bass response along with mids and highs.

Aug 5, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #5,842 of 29,490

Quote:
I've decided i want another pair of headphones ^_^ 

What i have are
  1. Audio Technica ATH-M50
  2. Alessandro MS-1i
  3. PortaPros
  4. Shure SE215s

I love the M50s, and the MS-1s, but now i want something that isnt like them..
I want something neutral, to show the music for what it really is.

Budget.. i'll say 300euro or less
Amp: None.. (will consider gettting one, feel free to suggest)
I dont mind if it's open or closed, they'll never be leaving the house.

Thanks.

Audio Technica AD900/1000/2000 or Denon D2000/5000 will give you a very different sound and are fine without extra amping.

Quote:

is jbl like akg both by harmon or something?

coiled cord? h0w or should i just save up for m50 coiled?

Yes, both are owned by Harman

The Shure 840 comes with a coiled and straight cord, I don't remember if the 440 comes with both, but you can always buy the coiled cord separately if need be.

Quote:

I am looking to upgrade my headphones and I was hoping to get some recommendations. For background, I am currently using Sennheiser 485s.  I have 2 sources for them: my iMac and a turntable. Both sources are being amplified by an Onkyo TX8255 which I plug my headphones directly into.  I mainly listen to raw rock (like Sonic Youth), electronic, indie rock and jazz. Looking to spend 100-150. 

The Audio Technica M50 is a safe bet for most people. Some other options to look into:
Shure 440/840
Sony V6
Grado whatever model fits the budget, or Alessandro MS1

Quote:
Been on this site for about six months now, but first post for me.
Got some Turbine's for $50 about three months ago. First impressions left me pretty meh. I actually would have taken them off after an hour if I wasn't so disappointed at how 'expensive' it was. I would have taken a pair of inkd headphones better. That being said, after actually putting some time in, I can confidently say it was possibly the greatest $50 I've ever spent. Seriously, how much iem-time per day is too much, health-wise? Even after 3 months, they consistently amaze every time I put them in. Anyone looking for their first pair should give these a strong consideration. I'd be surprised if someone could recommend a better iem under $100 value wise, considering Joker thought they were an impressive value at three times the price.
I have had some pretty significant issues with getting a good seal though, so much so that constantly reinsterting them rubbed my right ear pretty raw and my left ear was deaf for a week because some earwax got trapped. Sony hybrids helped but im still not quite where I want to be comfort wise. In regards to sound, they sound really really good, no complaints there, but everything has an upgrade.
SO as much as I love them, new headphone budget is $125, MAYBE $150. Priorities: 
*Sound. Somewhat analytical as I pay a lot of attention to my music while listening. Turbines did bass pretty well imo in terms of a quality, powerful low end rumble, but I prefer a bit more treble, and mids are recessed.
*Comfort. Either its there or it isn't. Listening sessions can be pretty long though.
*Convienence. Power, portability, durability, accessories etc.
*Soundstage and isolation. Prefer as much as possible of both.
I'm looking at Closed fullsized headphones mostly, as I don't get why you'd want open phones, and I don't think I'll have much luck finding better Iems in the price range (although def. open to suggestion) So far I am looking very strongly at the ath m50s but if there are better options, I'm all ears lol
I listen to Electronic (Infected musroom! Aphex twin, Spor, dubstep)
Rap (Aesop Rock, Del, Tech N9ne)
Rock/metal (RATM, Whitechapel, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Rammstein)
Mostly from an ipod nano or desktop headphone jack, rarely from a 4G ipod touch (WAY better SQ than nano)

Any suggestions would be sweet. Also, good new music is always appreciated.

Sorry for long post but audio is pretty addicting...

The M50 is a strong contender. Also consider the Sony V6 and Sennheiser HD280. These should all be available at your local music store, so give them a try and see how the comfort is.

Quote:
Thanks so much for the reply! I will take a look at your suggestions, I appreciate it.

It's not a big deal if it's closed or not, the vast majority of its use will be inside my home. I was also taking look at the Denon AH-D2000 along with the DT880. How would you say these headphones and your suggested cans compare to the M50s? Are they better quality/very different sounding?

The DT880 has a more aggressive bottom and high end compared to the M50. It's also semi-open, so does not isolate as well. I find comfort better than the M50.

The D2000 has a flat frequency response but feels bass heavy due to the resonance and longer decay. It also reaches deeper than the M50. Isolation is terrible for a closed can and has very low clamping pressure, but is also very comfortable. Comfort and isolation (and bass response) improve with jmoney leather earpads, although there have been some people squawking about quality control lately.

Quote:
Hello.
I'm looking for a pair of full-size headphones under 70 dollars.
I will be using these headphones mainly on my computer, which has some crappy onboard sound card, and sometimes an iPod Touch.
Comfort is kind of important, because I would be using them pretty much all day.
I listen to acoustic singer/song writer stuff, piano rock, regular rock, trip-hop, indie rock, Burial-type Dubstep (2-step? Ambient Dubstep?), though it's not that important that it be tailored to those specific sounds, just as long as it isn't *bad* for them. 
I don't really care if they're closed or open.
I would like them to be durable.
Well, I think that's about it, but I am open to any questions, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm personally not a big fan of the Sony XB series sound, but the 500/700 are like wearing pillows on your head. The bass will also play well to triphop and substep. While it's just a smidge above your budget, I would spring for the 700 for the better clarity over the 500.

Quote:
Heyo, I'm upgrading from a busted pair of Bose Triports.

They need to be around ear, and I don't care if they're open/closed as long as the leakage is low. (The Triports are considered semi-open. What I really like about them is that I can pretty much hear what's going on around me, but my music is only audible if it's turned very loud.) This is going to be for listening on my ipod and laptop, so I need something that won't sound like complete garbage without an amp. I'm fine with expensive headphones not being used to their full potential, I just don't want them to sound *bad* due to the source. I'd be willing to get a portable amp.

I want a warm, lush sound with good bass impact. I listen to mainly rock, indie (this genre needs a better name Dx), and trip-hop. Sometimes baroque and romantic. They must be comfortable enough to wear for like 5+ hours and have good build quality. Looks can be a deal-breaker.

Some that I've made note of so far:
-Beyer DT770
-Denon D2000
-AKG K271

I'd appreciate suggestions and advice of any kind!

The DT770 isolate a lot and you probably won't hear what's going on around you. Consider the DT880/990 instead. All of these like to have a bit more amping power behind them, but are ok if you don't need to listen loudly. Go with the 32 ohm, or maybe the 250 if you'll consider a small amp or dac/amp in the future.

The D2000 do have that nice warm/lush sound, but they leak a lot and would bother people around you if that's a concern.

The K271 do not have a warm lush sound. The K240 do, but those are fully open.

Quote:

Thank you for your answer! HD555 are a little pricey for me. What do you think of AGK Q460? Are they comfortable? Or do you got any other set to recommend?

Quote:
I live in Israel, HD555 is around $190-200 here. Even on ebay it's $110, so I need something that worth about $70 in the US. I don't care much about quality, since I'm not an audiophile, just regular guy that don't want his ears to hurt. Don't get me wrong, I do want some quality over all, it's just on my scale of importance the comfort is much more important.

It would help if you could give us an idea of what headphones are available to you, as well as their rough pricing.

Quote:
Looking for a pair of Headphones to replace my Samsom Sr850's

I listen to mostly Prog metal, Djent, alt rock, indie and a very small amount of Classical.
I would like a larger soundstage than the Sr850's
I like a fairly even response, dislike scooped mids, as I play guitar, so I like to really hear the guitars well.
Must be able to be driven from Mp3 player, Cdp, without an amp.
Must be circumaural (I can't stand on-ear)
Budget is £150.

Grado is a pretty safe recommendation for rock/guitar. Since you're in Europe, get the Alessandro MS1 (which is basically a Grado without the international markup in price), or if you're feelnig adventurous the MS2 which is just a touch above your budget.

Aug 5, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #5,843 of 29,490

Quote:
I previously posted in this thread, seeking a match for my listening preferences.  However, I have a few questions.  Armaegis replied stating that I should try the Shure 840.  However, I have looked at its description, stating that it was a monitoring headphone, and I wonder what this means.  Also, I may not have made it clear in my previous post, but I listen to Rap, Classic Rock, and Hip-Hop in equal if not greater amounts than I listen to Classical (which I still significantly listen to).  My price limit is still around $200-$250 and I listen in a dorm environment on my Ipod and laptop (Preferably not requiring use of an amp).

It's a lot of marketing speak nowadays. A "monitor" headphone is supposed to have a flat frequency response. In reality, most headphones are tipped bass (and sometimes treble) response but are labled as monitoring or studio headphones anyways. Common "monitor" headphones are the M50, Shure 840, Sony V6, Senn HD280.

The M50 has a mildly pronounced bass and treble region. The 840 is a bit flatter overall, but still sloped towards the bass. Both play well to hiphop genres, but I feel the 840 handles classical better. The The Senn HD280 is quite flat, with perhaps a bit of a bass hump. Isolation is better than all the other. The Sony V6 has the least bass of them all, possibly the flattest frequency response, the least isolation, and also the brightest feeling sound as it has a stronger treble extension than the others.

Quote:
Ok guys, so turns out that i'm not actually able to use my bank account linked to paypal to buy things, just for receiving payments, so i'm back at square one at the "buy a headphone in a 3rd world country without a credit card" game.

My two options are still the Grado SR60i and the SR80 (which will be actually cheaper by 10 bucks). The choice is pretty clear, right? Go with the superior model, or i'm missing something here?

Go with the SR80. If nothing else, your resale value will be higher if/when you decide to upgrade.

Quote:
I posted a few days ago and to summarize, I'm looking for headphones with the thump-feeling the beats by dre give in the lows, but without losing clarity in the mids and highs. Music ranges from trance, house, 80s freestyle, dub step, hip hop, rap, rock, pop, 80s rock&pop, alternative rock, some metal, and some piano. These headphones are going to be used mainly for on-the-go purposes. So coiled and 12ft cords are not ideal. My budget is $200. I've been reading reviews and what not and from previous suggestions, I came up with a new list. I apologize for being a pain. 

Sennheiser HD25-1 ii
Ultrasone HFI-580
Denon AH-D11000
Phiaton MS400

AKGs and M-Audio Q40s are not on my list because multiple reviews claimed these were uncomfortable and the AT M50s seem like it doesn't offer the bass feeling that I would like. Thank you again for comments and suggestions. 

The headphones you listed are all good contenders. Based on personal preference, I would choose the HD25-1-ii or Phiaton MS400.

Quote:
hey guys i need some help picking a mid-level set of cans

right now im kind of stuck between 
akg k701
beyerdynamic dt880
sennheiser hd600
sennheiser hd650

but i am open to other recommendations. i prefer over ear cans.

ive read tons of reviews but im really not sure which pair would best suit me.

right now i have a starving student millet hybrid but i will be building a soha II shortly.

i listen to mostly alternative/indie stuff, some post hardcore/pop punk, folk, and traditional irish. lots of acoustic music, but some of my music needs great bass response along with mids and highs.

I would pick the HD600 (I don't feel the HD650 is worth the price bump). The K701 is great for classical and acoustic, but lacks that bass oomph. The DT880 has oomph, but lacks in the mids for acoustics.

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #5,844 of 29,490

Quote:

I think you can find a store (online or physical) in Brazil with better prices, or acquire a Visa Debit (or similiar) card from one of your banks, which works just like a Credit card, unless you're under 18 or something =)

If you're going to pay $190 for a Grado SR60 (or whatever the price was) perhaps you should browse head-fi FS/FT (For Sale) section and check what's available for $120 second hand, just in case =P

I'm sure you can buy stuff with bank transfer too, if you have internet banking, the whole internet is not paypal/CC.

Anyway if you get the SR60i, hope you enjoy it.

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #5,846 of 29,490

Quote:

It's a lot of marketing speak nowadays. A "monitor" headphone is supposed to have a flat frequency response. In reality, most headphones are tipped bass (and sometimes treble) response but are labled as monitoring or studio headphones anyways. Common "monitor" headphones are the M50, Shure 840, Sony V6, Senn HD280.

The M50 has a mildly pronounced bass and treble region. The 840 is a bit flatter overall, but still sloped towards the bass. Both play well to hiphop genres, but I feel the 840 handles classical better. The The Senn HD280 is quite flat, with perhaps a bit of a bass hump. Isolation is better than all the other. The Sony V6 has the least bass of them all, possibly the flattest frequency response, the least isolation, and also the brightest feeling sound as it has a stronger treble extension than the others.

Go with the SR80. If nothing else, your resale value will be higher if/when you decide to upgrade.

The headphones you listed are all good contenders. Based on personal preference, I would choose the HD25-1-ii or Phiaton MS400.

I would pick the HD600 (I don't feel the HD650 is worth the price bump). The K701 is great for classical and acoustic, but lacks that bass oomph. The DT880 has oomph, but lacks in the mids for acoustics.

thanks for the advice! hows the bass on the hd600's? i dont necessarily want massive bass, but i certainly dont want it to lack oomph. as long as its detailed, clear (not distorted), and reasonably impactful without taking away from the mids ill be happy.

can anyone compare the hd600's to the hd555's? thats what i have currently and im afraid there is no way for me to audition cans before i buy

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #5,848 of 29,490

Quote:
thanks for the advice! hows the bass on the hd600's? i dont necessarily want massive bass, but i certainly dont want it to lack oomph. as long as its detailed, clear (not distorted), and reasonably impactful without taking away from the mids ill be happy.

can anyone compare the hd600's to the hd555's? thats what i have currently and im afraid there is no way for me to audition cans before i buy

While there is an upgrade going from the 555/595 to the 600, to me it's just more of the same. Unless you're really keen on the Sennheiser sound, I would suggest trying out a different brand. Also, don't forget to pull out that foam in the 555 and give yourself a virtual upgrade to the 595.

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #5,849 of 29,490
Armaegis, here is a list of some:
Koss PortaPro $60
Sony MDRXD100 $25 (owned them for 2 years, where pretty comfort)
Sennheiser HD205 $70 (tried them and sold them, heat the ears and presses to much)
Sony MDR V-700 $130 (own them now, not satisfied. after 40 mins my ears hurt)
Sennheiser HD201 $30
Bose on ear $190
AKG K518 $110 (I've read that they press on the head too much, so I'm suspicious about them)
AKG K403 $50
Sennheiser HD515 $140
philips SHP1900 $40
philips SHM7110U $60
philips SHL9560 $65
Platronics USB Audio 995 $100
Sennheiser PX100 $70
Hesh Skullcandy $100
Sennheiser HD215 $130
Grado SR60 $110
Sennheiser PX200 $100
RPDH1200 Technics $170
Sennheiser HD202 $65
SportaPro koss $60
Sennheiser HD428 $115
Sennheiser HD25 $235
Sennheiser HD218 $60
Sennheiser HD203 $70
Grado SR80 $140
AKG K420 $100
AKG K512 $70
AKG K450 $140
AKG K430  $130
AKG K240 $170
Aurvana live creative $170
HQ1400 creative $50

I don't want any of them in particular, just picked some to give you a feel about prices here. Heard today from a friend that PortaPro are very comfy... And my budget is around $150.

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #5,850 of 29,490

Quote:

While there is an upgrade going from the 555/595 to the 600, to me it's just more of the same. Unless you're really keen on the Sennheiser sound, I would suggest trying out a different brand. Also, don't forget to pull out that foam in the 555 and give yourself a virtual upgrade to the 595.

de-foamed them the day i got them
smily_headphones1.gif
 but i was afraid the 600/650 would sound too similar...i like the way my 555's sound but im not in love with it. i feel like the bass could extend lower and be more detailed and the mids and highs could be more detailed and maybe warmer. plus some more soundstage couldnt hurt. 

i would love the k701 if they had more bass. while i listen to lots of acoustic stuff, i also listen to metal and indie stuff that just wont sound good with lacking bass.

that takes me to the dt880 which ive been told have better bass and great highs, but recessed mids which isnt good for my acoustic stuff 
frown.gif

can you guys confirm/deny? this is all based on what ive read. i dont really have any way of trying any cans out.
im leaning towards the akg's...could i use eq to bring the bass out?

i dont really want to buy any more senns right now, what should i get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back