++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 27, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #5,596 of 29,490

Quote:
How much would it cost to adequately cover that range, in your opinion?

Thanks for the suggestion, 
How is the bass on the AD700?
I'm not really a basshead, but I would still like to "feel" the bass drop.
Also would you recommend any amp and/or dac to pair them with?

Trying to find headphones that have a very deep reaching bass that don't have muddy/recessed mids is tricky. The D2000 was my first thought, but if you felt that had recessed mids, then you're looking for something with stronger/clearer midrange detail. Orthos are good for that, but are expensive with the exception of the Fostex line. Maybe something like the new Shure 940 might be good. A vintage AKG K240 Sextett is also quite good, though at 600 ohms you'll want a budget amp to power them (though a receiver will do). 

The AD700 is great for vocals and soundstage, but you will feel it lacking when playing your bass heavy dubstep. 

Quote:
I would say out of for every 10 hours of listening, only 1 hour is devoted to Classical/Jazz/Acoustic. I mainly listen to EDT/electronica/DHT and rock. This was the primary reason I went with the M50s because they match up adequately with the types of music I listen to.

Is the sound signature of the Denons more suited towards Classical/Jazz as oppossed to the Beyers? One common complaint about the M50s is that the bass is too prominent, mids are recessed, and highs can be sharp/bright. I find the bass to be adequate, maybe slightly overpowering but I have yet to experience the recessed mids. Need more listening to see if this really bothers me.

Also correct me if I'm wrong here: are the Denons closed back and the Beyers open? What are the common characteristics of the D2000 / DT880?

The Denons are good all-rounders, with a reasonably flat frequency response and deep bass extension. The Denons are closed back, but have terrible isolation/leakage. I would say they are better than the Beyers for classical/jazz. 

The Beyers are typically U-shaped, more pronounced than the M50. The DT770 are fully closed, the DT880/990 are semi-open and open respectively, although the 990 is still technically "semi closed". For electronica, I would say it's a tossup between the Denons or Beyers.

Quote:
Hi Everybody!

I have decided to buy a new headphone after Grado SR-225i, but I can't decide what to buy. I would like to stay in the 500$ budget if possible.
My choices are the following:

Sennheiser HD650
Denon D2000
Beyerdynamic DT880Pro

If you could tell me which one is the best from these three, that would be really great. If you suggest anything else, please don't hesitate to tell me, but it has to be circumaural.

Is there any particular sound that you're looking for? Do you have an amp?

Simply based on personal preference, I would choose the HD650.

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #5,597 of 29,490

Quote:
Well, you can't really go wrong with either, as I find that they do things very well with the genres you listed, but each sort of in their own way: D2000 a little more natural, organic, warmer, and possibly a little more immersive; DT880 colder, more analytical, punchier bass and higher treble extension and louder treble. That is the reason I said the Denons sound better with Classical and Jazz. But then, everything is relative, since purely for Classical and Jazz, in a comparable price range, the HD 650 does things better than the Denons.
Yes, the Denons are closed back, but don't really isolate too well and leak sound, the Beyers are open. I think both cans - which ever you choose, will suit you quite well; both have good bass, good soundstage (the Denons may sound more hollow since they are closed back, the Beyers more airy due to their increased treble) and are forward sounding, all of which are really important for EDM. I don't really know what EDT is? I found DHT on youtube, and from the one track I listened to, it's trance, right (which falls under EDM)?
Which can you prefer in the end is a choice I cannot make for you, but both should do their job well. Mind you, people recommend Ultrasones a lot too, so you might want to look into those as well, but I can't comment since I haven't heard all/didn't like the sound signature of those I heard (that doesn't mean they're no good for the genres you listed though, just a matter of personal preference). Also, I don't listen too much to EDM, so someone who listens to this genre more may have a more valid opinion.

feNcheL, thanks for your detailed replies.

From your comments and the reviews/other comments I have read about the D2000, I believe it has a similar presentation to the ATH-M50 but excels in some areas where the M50 falls short. Definitely interested and curious about the D2000 and I must look into it further.

About the acronyms, I do apologize as sometimes I get too fancy. EDT is/was an old term that some people referred to as Electronic, Dance, Techno. Another old school term is DHT, which I know as Dance House Trance. EDM was a catch all phrase for Electronic Dance Music. With so many classifications it began to get confusing with the acronyms and arguing about which came first... I think I'll just use Electronica from now on for ease of discussion :)

Your comment about the Beyers being bright and treble emphatic is echoed by lots of reviews and comments by other users. I can appreciate the distinction that a good sharp treble can bring, but I am not sure if I can enjoy this in a pair of headphones as it might make the listening experience a bit dry or unspirited. (Don't you love how headphone enthusiasts bring the best out of adjectives?) For this reason, I am not as interested in the DT880.

That said, everything is subjective and I do need a listen/demo of each headphone before taking any comments/reviews to heart. Not that I don't appreciate the comments and suggestions - they definitely point me in the right direction.

In looking at possible upgrades from the M50 I came across the Sony MDR-Z1000. Any thoughts on this offering?

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #5,598 of 29,490

Quote:
The Denons are good all-rounders, with a reasonably flat frequency response and deep bass extension. The Denons are closed back, but have terrible isolation/leakage. I would say they are better than the Beyers for classical/jazz.   
The Beyers are typically U-shaped, more pronounced than the M50. The DT770 are fully closed, the DT880/990 are semi-open and open respectively, although the 990 is still technically "semi closed". For electronica, I would say it's a tossup between the Denons or Beyers.

Again, thanks for the replies and comments.
I find myself leaning towards the D2000 to experiment. Between the D2000/DT880/990, which of the three have better bass response? I read your other replies about how it was tricky to find a headphone that has deep reaching bass without recessed mids. Of the three, which addresses the bass without sacrificing too much mids?

Any thoughts on the Sony MDR-Z1000?

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #5,599 of 29,490
Quote:
feNcheL, thanks for your detailed replies.

From your comments and the reviews/other comments I have read about the D2000, I believe it has a similar presentation to the ATH-M50 but excels in some areas where the M50 falls short. Definitely interested and curious about the D2000 and I must look into it further.

About the acronyms, I do apologize as sometimes I get too fancy. EDT is/was an old term that some people referred to as Electronic, Dance, Techno. Another old school term is DHT, which I know as Dance House Trance. EDM was a catch all phrase for Electronic Dance Music. With so many classifications it began to get confusing with the acronyms and arguing about which came first... I think I'll just use Electronica from now on for ease of discussion :)

Your comment about the Beyers being bright and treble emphatic is echoed by lots of reviews and comments by other users. I can appreciate the distinction that a good sharp treble can bring, but I am not sure if I can enjoy this in a pair of headphones as it might make the listening experience a bit dry or unspirited. (Don't you love how headphone enthusiasts bring the best out of adjectives?) For this reason, I am not as interested in the DT880.

That said, everything is subjective and I do need a listen/demo of each headphone before taking any comments/reviews to heart. Not that I don't appreciate the comments and suggestions - they definitely point me in the right direction.

In looking at possible upgrades from the M50 I came across the Sony MDR-Z1000. Any thoughts on this offering?

As someone who listens to various genres of electronica, I can safely say that Ultrasones are very good performers, and if you're considering the Sony Z1000, then you should definitely put the Ultrasone Pro 900 on your list.

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #5,600 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally posted by Armaegis 
Trying to find headphones that have a very deep reaching bass that don't have muddy/recessed mids is tricky. The D2000 was my first thought, but if you felt that had recessed mids, then you're looking for something with stronger/clearer midrange detail. Orthos are good for that, but are expensive with the exception of the Fostex line. Maybe something like the new Shure 940 might be good. A vintage AKG K240 Sextett is also quite good, though at 600 ohms you'll want a budget amp to power them (though a receiver will do). 

The AD700 is great for vocals and soundstage, but you will feel it lacking when playing your bass heavy dubstep. 

Is there any particular sound that you're looking for? Do you have an amp?

Simply based on personal preference, I would choose the HD650.

I have just built an M3 and I am using it with y2. I usually listen to rock, metal.
First I have thought of the HD650, but is it a big step up from the SR--225i?

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #5,601 of 29,490

Quote:
As someone who listens to various genres of electronica, I can safely say that Ultrasones are very good performers, and if you're considering the Sony Z1000, then you should definitely put the Ultrasone Pro 900 on your list.

The price tag of the Ultrasone Pro 900 puts it a bit out of my reach right now. I am able to get the Sony Z1000 via a colleague at a decent discount that's within my budget.
The Pro 900 do look very good though...

Jul 27, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #5,603 of 29,490
Ok so I'm looking for a gaming headSET. I don't know what I will be doing in the future. I think I will mostly get into gamebattles with either Halo or COD. If I just play regular gamebattles then I won't need noise cancellation. If I play LAN then I will definitely get the Steelseries Siberia v2. However if I don't I will either get Razer Charcarias or the overpriced Sennheisers PC 360. Out of the Razers and Sennheiser which ones give you the best sound for footsteps. Comfortability is not an issue but I definitely want a good mic. I want my voice to be clear when I'm making callouts. Also I'd rather have a low bass and want really detailed highs.I'm not sure what else I need in a headset I just want the best one for sounds and a good mic, but money isn't an issue though it would be nice if the Razers were just as good or even better than the Sennheisers. 

Jul 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #5,604 of 29,490

Hi, 

I bought eterna 4 months ago.. but they somehow stopped working since last 2 weeks and nobody from bugden audio has replied for warranty problem. So, I am left with no choice to buy a new one. First, does anybody have similar kind of problem ??... Please let me know , so i do not b uy a new one..

If i am going to buy a new one, I am in dilemma between these two..

Shure SE215 due to dynamic driver and etymotic research HF3 ( IPod/Iphone control) or Hf5 for sound quality? how about Boss IE2? is it good also??

Which one is good to buy.. i dont want to spend around 130-150$ . Also, let me know if any thing else is also good for this range.. I do not like westones.... 

Is there any aprticular difference between hf3 and hf5 other than ipod control?? . 

Thanks...

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #5,605 of 29,490

Quote:
Again, thanks for the replies and comments.
I find myself leaning towards the D2000 to experiment. Between the D2000/DT880/990, which of the three have better bass response? I read your other replies about how it was tricky to find a headphone that has deep reaching bass without recessed mids. Of the three, which addresses the bass without sacrificing too much mids?

Any thoughts on the Sony MDR-Z1000?

The Beyers have more impactful bass, but the Denons rumble and reach deeper.

Quote:
The price tag of the Ultrasone Pro 900 puts it a bit out of my reach right now. I am able to get the Sony Z1000 via a colleague at a decent discount that's within my budget.
The Pro 900 do look very good though...

If you can get a good deal on the Z1000, I say jump on it. You can always sell it later at cost to fund other toys.

Quote:
I have just built an M3 and I am using it with y2. I usually listen to rock, metal.

First I have thought of the HD650, but is it a big step up from the SR--225i?

They are very different sounds... the grado is mid-high centric with a lot of bite in its presentation. The Senn is more laid back with a lowermid emphasis. I would personally go with the Senn, but that's just my preference.

Quote:
Ok so I'm looking for a gaming headSET. I don't know what I will be doing in the future. I think I will mostly get into gamebattles with either Halo or COD. If I just play regular gamebattles then I won't need noise cancellation. If I play LAN then I will definitely get the Steelseries Siberia v2. However if I don't I will either get Razer Charcarias or the overpriced Sennheisers PC 360. Out of the Razers and Sennheiser which ones give you the best sound for footsteps. Comfortability is not an issue but I definitely want a good mic. I want my voice to be clear when I'm making callouts. Also I'd rather have a low bass and want really detailed highs.I'm not sure what else I need in a headset I just want the best one for sounds and a good mic, but money isn't an issue though it would be nice if the Razers were just as good or even better than the Sennheisers. 

I have not been impressed with any gaming headphones I've heard. The Senns are a pretty safe bet, and the PC360 is very highly rated. From what I can tell, it's based on the HD595 or 598 platform which is already a very solid headphone.

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #5,606 of 29,490
M50s or the V-MODA Crossfade LPs??

Hi, I'm new to head-fi and do not really know a lot about headphones and what is good. However, my research has led me to these two choice for headphones. I am a teenager. I listen to rap,pop, hip hop, and dubstep like deadmau5 and skrillex. Needless to say I like bass. However, I also like to listen to music without a lot of bass as well like Bob Marley and music in that genre. WHat I'm wondoring is which headphone would fit my taste? I want the sound to be crisp but also when listening to dubstep I want the bass to be aggressive and tight. Also, if there is better headphones other than these two sets, mentio0n those as well but please dont bring up Sony XB's or Sennheisers because I will probably be wearing these in public. My price range is like $80 to $120. I heard the M50s were overrated from some reviews and others said they were the best they've ever heard, so I am unsure about the M50s. Also, the Crossfade LPs apparently don't sound good to some people but to others they are great.

Please help I have no idea what to choose!

Also, I'm using an iPhone 4 for most of my music listening.

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #5,607 of 29,490

The M50s aren't going to be any less conspicuous than the Sony XBs in public...

A few of my students who listen to similar music have tried my Phiaton MS400s, and really liked them a lot.  Ultrasones are also still a great choice for those genres, look into the HFI-580 and HFI-780.  Especially if you want both awesome bass and crispness, Ultrasone is likely your dream brand.
Quote:
M50s or the V-MODA Crossfade LPs??

Hi, I'm new to head-fi and do not really know a lot about headphones and what is good. However, my research has led me to these two choice for headphones. I am a teenager. I listen to rap,pop, hip hop, and dubstep like deadmau5 and skrillex. Needless to say I like bass. However, I also like to listen to music without a lot of bass as well like Bob Marley and music in that genre. WHat I'm wondoring is which headphone would fit my taste? I want the sound to be crisp but also when listening to dubstep I want the bass to be aggressive and tight. Also, if there is better headphones other than these two sets, mentio0n those as well but please dont bring up Sony XB's or Sennheisers because I will probably be wearing these in public. My price range is like $80 to $120. I heard the M50s were overrated from some reviews and others said they were the best they've ever heard, so I am unsure about the M50s. Also, the Crossfade LPs apparently don't sound good to some people but to others they are great.

Please help I have no idea what to choose!

Also, I'm using an iPhone 4 for most of my music listening.

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #5,608 of 29,490
Quote:
I wonder where people get the idea that the HFI 780 have bass that gives one a headache, when the sound sig of the Portapros and the 780's are about the same, well thanx for your help, the HFI 780's it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Well... the portapros have a ton of bass too! Hope the 780s have the sound you're looking for, even thought the 680s are supposed to be really close I hate recommending something I haven't heard. Personally I think the drivers are very detailed and grainless, slightly less than the srh940 even. For the price definitely not bad at all.

Just give them lots of burn in, takes about 100 hours before the treble settles down. Out of the box they're nightmare inducing lol.

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #5,609 of 29,490
Hello,
Okay so here's my problem I have had the Sennheiser 202's for a couple months now and even though I think the sound quality it great the comfort just isn't there. I want to upgrade but I have no idea what I should get. I generally listen to music when I go to bed and I can't sleep if it's quiet so I have a fan next to me which means a open headset probably isn't a good idea? I was thinking maybe the 280's or the HD 448 but I have really no clue lol I would like to stay with Sennheiser though cuz that's the only brand I'm familiar with. Also I'm not going to spend over 100 bucks for a headset since I don't listen to music that much but when I do I want to be comfortable both physically and sound wise.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #5,610 of 29,490
I'm in the market for closed headphones. I listen to all types of music, and that will be their primary purpose. Everything from Simon and Garfunkel to a little bit of techno and dubstep - really, the full gamut: jazz, everything from the 50s and 60s, kpop. I'll also use them occasionally for Ventrilo, and probably all of my TV/movie watching will be done with them. I've researched extensively and narrowed my long list (previously included Ultrasone HFI 580, Pro550, and DJ1, for instance), to the following: Audio Technica ATH-M50, ATH-A700, Ultrasone DJ1PRO, and Shure SRH750DJ.

I would prefer something with accurate mids and highs, but also solid bass. I've read that the M50s can have an overpowering bass which makes the mids less clear. I've read that the A700s shine in mids, but can be lacking in bass. I chose the DJ1PRO over the DJ1 because of the detachable cable - I mean really, how convenient is that? I've also read that they represent various frequencies well and can be lots of fun, but some people are a little weirded out about how the S-logic surround sound thing works (apparently placement of these cans on your head can affect this a lot). And the 750DJ? I don't know much about them, except they're supposed to sound similar to the DJ1PRO (with some of those convenience features!) at a lower price and without the possible issues created by S-logic. Their build quality is also lacking compared to the others.
I haven't read anything positive or negative about any of them for comfort. (okay, the M50s clamp hard)

I know I should probably just take the plunge and buy something, especially because I have nowhere local to listen first, but I'm just looking for a little more feedback. I would really like the cans to be comfortable, portable, and durable - they're going to college with me in three weeks. (and I read the Closed Cans Shootout, but all it did was make me start reconsidering whether I wanted the DJ1PROs or not. Also, I would be willing to try something else if enough convincing can be done).

Oh, and I really don't want to spend more than $130 USD, but the prices I've found are $125 refurbed M50s, $110 new A700s, $140 new DJ1PROs, and $125 new 750DJs. I was willing to spend more on the DJ1PROs because I was favoring them up until a day or two ago, as they met all of my desires, but then the 750DJs came on my radar. It was at that point I put the M50s and A700s back on my list, too.

So, uh, help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back