++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 26, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #5,566 of 29,490
Hello.

I'm  looking for a desktop setup for music and some gaming for ~ $200 USD. This can be just headphones, or hp+dac, or hp + amp, or hp+amp+dac.

I listen to vocal trance, uplifting trance, dubstep, and drums and bass half the time. (i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCcaizeVwhohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-T61s1_5RM)

And the other half, to music heavy with female vocals like:
 A Fine Frenzy  - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsWsasqIoyk&ob=av3n

I have a habit of breaking cables, so detachable cables is a plus but not necessary. 
I will also usually be wearing them for hours at a time, so comfort is important.

'Phones friends recommended: (though I suspect its because these are the only phones they own >.>)
  1. Fischer Audio FA-011
  2. AKG K271 Mkii

I tried the D2000 and ATH M50s at B and H and did not like their sound. (D2ks because the mids sounded recessed, and the M50s bass took the forefront)

Additional Info:
My PC uses the motherboard (Asus P8p67Pro) integrated audio which is the Realtek® ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC .

Gaming isn't that important to me - music is first and foremost, gaming performance is to be a tie breaker between two equally good phones (music wise)

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #5,567 of 29,490
What's up. Looking to get some cans. I already own the audiotechnica m50, but I'm looking for something smaller that I can use on the go while around campus/library or on the bus/train.

Fairly tight budget right now... has got to be ~50 USD and max of $100... but I'm shooting for something much less.

I'm not interested in Skullcandy. Contemplating Panasonic htx7 but I'm shopping for something "better" if possible.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I mainly listen to really mellow-y kind of stuff: jazz/blues -- 60s and 50s sort of thing, folk, bit of opera and also tend to give in top 40 stuff and rap occasionally.

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #5,568 of 29,490
looking for something fun to listen to under 200, i already have the Brainwavz M2 IEMs and the ATH-M50's. I listen to dubstep, dnb, electro, house, industrial & rock. i was thinking the Fischer Fa-011 would fit my needs but if anyone else has reccomendations, help would be appreciated.

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #5,569 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello.

I'm  looking for a desktop setup for music and some gaming for ~ $200 USD. This can be just headphones, or hp+dac, or hp + amp, or hp+amp+dac.

I listen to vocal trance, uplifting trance, dubstep, and drums and bass half the time. (i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCcaizeVwhohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-T61s1_5RM)

I have a habit of breaking cables, so detachable cables is a plus but not necessary. 
I will also usually be wearing them for hours at a time, so comfort is important.

'Phones friends recommended: (though I suspect its because these are the only phones they own >.>)
  1. Fischer Audio FA-011
  2. AKG K271 Mkii

I tried the D2000 and ATH M50s at B and H and did not like their sound. (D2ks because the mids sounded recessed, and the M50s bass took the forefront)

Additional Info:
My PC uses the motherboard (Asus P8p67Pro) integrated audio which is the Realtek® ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC .

Gaming isn't that important to me - music is first and foremost, gaming performance is to be a tie breaker between two equally good phones (music wise)

Check out the Audio Technica ATH AD700 - these get reccommended a ton for video games and the type of music you listed, they have a great soundstage as well. Not sure if you were looking for closed or open, these are open.

Quote:
What's up. Looking to get some cans. I already own the audiotechnica m50, but I'm looking for something smaller that I can use on the go while around campus/library or on the bus/train.

Fairly tight budget right now... has got to be ~50 USD and max of $100... but I'm shooting for something much less.

I'm not interested in Skullcandy. Contemplating Panasonic htx7 but I'm shopping for something "better" if possible.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I mainly listen to really mellow-y kind of stuff: jazz/blues -- 60s and 50s sort of thing, folk, bit of opera and also tend to give in top 40 stuff and rap occasionally.

Check out the Brainwavz M2 - they can be found for under 60 usually and are great as well as highly regarded. They are IEMS though, not sure if you are looking for over ear or inner ear. You can't beat the portability of IEMs honestly

Quote:
looking for something fun to listen to under 200, i already have the Brainwavz M2 IEMs and the ATH-M50's. I listen to dubstep, dnb, electro, house, industrial & rock. i was thinking the Fischer Fa-011 would fit my needs but if anyone else has reccomendations, help would be appreciated.

Perhaps try a Grado headphone in your price range? they are definitely fun, however might not be the "best" for the bass type music you like. Maybe look at the ultrasone, beyerdynamic, or denon brands in your price range. Sorry I can't give you a better recc, I haven't tried any of those brands, just tryin to steer you in a direction for research :)

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #5,570 of 29,490
hey im looking for sum new headphones to replace my ATH-ES7s, iv had those for 2 year and i loved them but one headphone started going faulty

iv looked at some Ultrasones HFIs but im not sure which are best, im looking for anything under $200, of course something with great SQ
any other brands or headphones u recommend??

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #5,571 of 29,490
Suggested Upgrade Path: HD555, ATH-M50, ????

History:

My first foray into the headphone universe began on head-fi and I find myself back again as I've been hit with headphone fever.
I started my headphone adventure back in 2006 by posting the obligatory "what headphone should I get?" thread here on head-fi.
A few posts and trips to the store later, I decided on the noob friendly Sennheiser HD555. The triple 5's have served my well and I have not been disappointed with the flat and open sound. It makes for great listening at home and they have also been surprisingly good with gaming and movies.

Present Day:

My musical tastes and needs have not changed over the years but I was in need of something closed and portable. On a slightly tight budget and also somewhat of a whim, I purchased the Audio Technica ATH-M50 which I received about a month ago.

I've been very happy with the M50s thus far, as the closed headphone experience is a welcome change from the openness of the Senns. The added emphasis on the bass and to some extent, treble, made me revisit a lot of my music library. I rediscovered a lot of songs and it felt like 2006 again when the Senns were glued to my head.

I probably have not had enough time to really enjoy the M50s but I find myself very curious of other headphones in a higher price range. I don't know if this is me wanting more out of my headphones, or if I just have some idle hands and some money to throw around.

In terms of sources, I usually listen to music via my PC or iPod paired with a FiiO E7 as a DAC/portable amp. When I'm not at the computer, my headphones are plugged into an entry level receiver (Sony STR-DG720) which is connected to a HTPC via HDMI.

I understand that more expensive headphones require adequate sources in order to utilize them to its full potential. I am not prepared to invest in a mid to high-end amp at this time so I won't be looking at very expensive premium headphones.

My question is, what sort of headphone would suit my tastes/needs?

Genres of music: Electronica, EDT, House, Rock, Alternative Rock, Hip Hop, J-Pop, J-Metal, Ambient/Chill, some Classical/Acoustic/Jazz
Sources & Amps: PC/iPod + FiiO E7, HTPC + Sony STR-DH720 Receiver
Current Headphones: Sennheiser HD555, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Budget (headphones only): $250-300

I am open to both closed back and open headphones, as I do enjoy both types of sounds for different applications.

Thanks for any opinions and suggestions!

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #5,572 of 29,490

Hello headfi-ers!

I have $400 and i'm planning to buy:

- Beyerdynamic DT 990 32 ohm ($300)

- Ear Force DSS 7.1 Channel Dolby Surround Processor ($70) 

- Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II USB Analog & Digital Audio Adapter ($25)

- Digital Audio Toslik Cable ($5)

From Amazon (i can only buy from Amazon)

I want the DT 990 because of its great thumping Bass and great sound stage, and because i want something for music, gaming & movies.

I need the DSS 7.1 for having surround sound for games and movies, and i can't buy a multi channel sound card because i'm using a laptop.

From what i understand the DSS also works as an amplifier of some sort & i'll be using it most of the time.

The Toslik cable and the Micro II USB are because i don't have an optical input in my laptop.

THE QUESTION:

Can i get a 250 ohm DT 990 if i use the amplification on the DSS? and is it better if i do?

Also if you have any remarks and suggestions i would be GRATEFUL  ^_^

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #5,574 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello.

1. Fischer Audio FA-011
  2. AKG K271 Mkii

Additional Info:

It's tough to cover that range within your budget. How about something like the Fostex T50rp with a Nuforce uDac2.

Quote:

Sennheiser PX200-ii springs to mind. Small and portable, nice balanced sound, isolation is ok (not as good as the M50 though). Since you're coming from the M50 though, consider saving up for a nicer step up rather than going down with your budget.

Quote:

M-Audio Q40
Beyer DT770 pro
Audio Technica Pro700mk2
Phiaton MS400

Quote:
hey im looking for sum new headphones to replace my ATH-ES7s, iv had those for 2 year and i loved them but one headphone started going faulty

iv looked at some Ultrasones HFIs but im not sure which are best, im looking for anything under $200, of course something with great SQ
any other brands or headphones u recommend??

The ESW9a is a nice step up if you like the sound of the ES7. They're just a touch above your budget at $220 from Beachcamera.com

Quote:

History:

My first foray into the headphone universe began on head-fi and I find myself back again as I've been hit with headphone fever.
I started my headphone adventure back in 2006 by posting the obligatory "what headphone should I get?" thread here on head-fi.
A few posts and trips to the store later, I decided on the noob friendly Sennheiser HD555. The triple 5's have served my well and I have not been disappointed with the flat and open sound. It makes for great listening at home and they have also been surprisingly good with gaming and movies.

Present Day:

My musical tastes and needs have not changed over the years but I was in need of something closed and portable. On a slightly tight budget and also somewhat of a whim, I purchased the Audio Technica ATH-M50 which I received about a month ago.

I've been very happy with the M50s thus far, as the closed headphone experience is a welcome change from the openness of the Senns. The added emphasis on the bass and to some extent, treble, made me revisit a lot of my music library. I rediscovered a lot of songs and it felt like 2006 again when the Senns were glued to my head.

I probably have not had enough time to really enjoy the M50s but I find myself very curious of other headphones in a higher price range. I don't know if this is me wanting more out of my headphones, or if I just have some idle hands and some money to throw around.

In terms of sources, I usually listen to music via my PC or iPod paired with a FiiO E7 as a DAC/portable amp. When I'm not at the computer, my headphones are plugged into an entry level receiver (Sony STR-DG720) which is connected to a HTPC via HDMI.

I understand that more expensive headphones require adequate sources in order to utilize them to its full potential. I am not prepared to invest in a mid to high-end amp at this time so I won't be looking at very expensive premium headphones.

Genres of music: Electronica, EDT, House, Rock, Alternative Rock, Hip Hop, J-Pop, J-Metal, Ambient/Chill, some Classical/Acoustic/Jazz

I am open to both closed back and open headphones, as I do enjoy both types of sounds for different applications.

The more expensive headphones don't *need* a premium amp and/or source. They won't make your music sound worse unless you're working with some really low grade and poorly encoded mp3 files. 

I would say give the Denon D2000 a try, or perhaps a Beyer DT880/990.

Quote:

Hello headfi-ers!

- Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II USB Analog & Digital Audio Adapter ($25)

I want the DT 990 because of its great thumping Bass and great sound stage, and because i want something for music, gaming & movies.

I need the DSS 7.1 for having surround sound for games and movies, and i can't buy a multi channel sound card because i'm using a laptop.

From what i understand the DSS also works as an amplifier of some sort & i'll be using it most of the time.

The Toslik cable and the Micro II USB are because i don't have an optical input in my laptop.

THE QUESTION:

Can i get a 250 ohm DT 990 if i use the amplification on the DSS? and is it better if i do?

It will probably be enough unless you want to drive your music very loudly.

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #5,575 of 29,490
Jul 26, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #5,576 of 29,490

Quote:
Again sound-wise, the SR80i wins. I don't know how to describe the sound from headphones but I felt that the SR80is had more life to their sound than the M50s. My friend disagrees, saying that the M50s had more bass than the SR80i. Psh. The cables on both the SR80i and M50 were a lot thicker than the ones on my HD438.

ATH-M50 - S$238
SR80i - S$170

Imo, the SR80i wins.
amazon has the sr80i for 100 dollars http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-SR80i-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B000G3LCQC
i was recommended the hd25-1-ii but when the grados are only 100 dollars should i be gettin those instead? will they be sweet with ipod or need amp? would the hd25-1-ii outperform them quite handily? if so i dont mind eating the extra 100 bucks
thanks alot for all the replies aermenis and i do intend to post some feedback from my uneducated ears when i receive the goods

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #5,577 of 29,490

Quote:

History:

Present Day:

I'll second the Denon D2k or Beyer DT880/990. Mind you, the Beyers may sound sharp/too trebly for some, but should do really well for EDM. Denons if you listen to Classical/Jazz more often.

Quote:

Hello headfi-ers!

THE QUESTION:

Not sure why you want to buy an extra soundcard to have a toslink cable going to the DSS? the output from the laptop is USB anyway, so adding a toslink cable wouldn't do any good. In case the DSS only accepts toslink input (which would be strange and you'd probably have to connect it an external power source), you could just cut everything but the headphones and buy an Asus Xonar U1 instead. Actually, I'd recommend just getting the U1 and DT990 anyway. Mind you, I've never seen or heard of the DSS, so unless it's something new and very well priced, I wouldn't bother. The U1 (as far as I can see) does everything the DSS can, but is more reputable. Gaming is no problem on it with Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Headphone and EAX emulation.
Also, there should be too much of a difference between the 32 and the 250 Ohm versions anyway.. just buy whatever is cheaper.

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #5,578 of 29,490
So, I'm looking at the Pro 900 (upgrading from heavily modded M50) but I have a fear of them not sounding the way I want them to. I'm looking for something warm+bright, but also has smooth mids, immersive lows, deep bass clarity, and a clever soundstage. To the Pro 900 owners, should I go for it? Or will it be cold and harsh for my tastes? In that case, what's a suitable headphone for around $350?

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #5,579 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

The presence boost, looks like it's around 5k maybe?

How much of a difference does the portapro Kramer mod do? I've done the quarter mod but more treble would be nice for sure.

The Kramer mod is great, it brings out the mids, the upper mid range 2.5KHz-5KHz, the presence range and the trebles, it also tightens up the bass so that it's not booming around. I cringe a bit now when cymbals crash when I'm listening to Smooth Jazz, it's wonderful. Just make sure to make your holes equal in size, BTW I've seen using a drill, like the guys in the Kramer mod threaf ,doesn't allow for small increments, as I used a Philips screwdrivers of diameters from 2mm upto a half a centimetre to see if I liked the sound, as I increased the diameters of the holes on the grill of the headphones. A drill won't allow for this unless you have drill bits of different diameters.
I increased the diametres of the holes slowly, trying to find my perfect sound and I found it! I would post a pic, if I had a camera closeby. I made holes like this guys, I copied from  buffpants24 on the Kramer thread

the outer holes tighten up the bass, the inner holes bring out more of the treble, though I made the holes I've highlighted in red just a bit wider(yes I hv mad MS Paint skillz too:).
The magical result, after hours of turning those screws, listening to increments made on the holes is that vocals are recessed again where they were once too much, because I made holes on the periphery to bring out the bass and holes I have highlighted in red/orange and now I hear the absolute highs of the sax, yes It's like heaven listening to Euge Groove.
They're perfect for my Jazz and Pop, not for my metal though the guitars are still abit recessed to my ears, though the vocals are perfect. Hope I've answered your question.
You can reverse it too, just use electrical tape with the diameter of the hole you want over the larger hole you made on the grill, it's just not advisable.
I wonder where people get the idea that the HFI 780 have bass that gives one a headache, when the sound sig of the Portapros and the 780's are about the same, well thanx for your help, the HFI 780's it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #5,580 of 29,490
Hi all,

I am new to the Head-Fi scene and have just bought a Woo Audio 3 Amp, iBasso D10 Cobra (for DAC only obviously) and some Senn HD650's. I am pretty happy with the sound that it is producing but I feel it is lacking. The bass, for me is sub-par and isn't even up to my $40 clip ons off ebay (possibly a slight exaggeration).

I am thinking that I could vastly improve performance with the proper wiring, I'm currently connecting the DAC from my Computer via usb, the DAC goes into the amp using a solid but pretty cheap RCA cable and the headphones have not been modded.

Is there anything that I can do to improve bass and sound-stage performance with upgrading wires? I have ordered new tubes but I was expecting the stock tubes to provide decent bass.

The headphones have been burned in for around 40 hours so I'm pretty sure that is not a factor.

Would love some help if possible.

Many thanks in advance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back