++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 28, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #5,626 of 29,490

Quote:
Can someone recommened a pair of headphones that is going to replace my M50's, the same price range, either full sized or IEM's 
And they have too run good unamped (Ipod) I seek good bass and mids, just warmer and more fun than a pair of M50's

M-Audio Q40: tons of bass, easy to drive, improves with amping if you ever get some, warm and rumbly fun sound signature

Quote:
so theyre worth it at $97 though? would prefer not to use ebay since i refuse to deal with paypal  

Yeah, go for it.

Quote:

[size=10pt]Hello head-fi! [/size]

[size=10pt]I am very new to the entire headphone game and I am looking for some serious help. I have never owned any high end headphones and have no idea where to start. I listen to all types of music: rock, heavy metal, hiphop, dubstep, and I am looking for an earphone that will sound great in all genres. I will also be using them often and in public so something comfortable with no leakage is key. I will be listening from my ipod nano. My budget is less than $150 but something cheaper with the best sound quality would be awesome.[/size]

[size=10pt]Very important they have to be extremely durable, I tend to destroy headphones.[/size]

[size=10pt]If you can please come up with some models that I can look more into as well as some personal choices that would be very helpful.[/size]

[size=10pt]Thank you very much![/size]

[size=10pt]ps. If you can clue me in on how to keep them is good shape when not in use that would also be helpful[/size]

Audio Technica M50
Shure 750
Ultrasone HFI-580

These all have good bass and reasonable durability and isolation. As for keeping headphones in one piece, strongly consider getting a bag or case, and look up the proper way to wrap cables. If you are particularly skilled at breaking things, consider a Koss with a lifetime warranty.

Jul 28, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #5,628 of 29,490

Quote:
so theyre worth it at $97 though? would prefer not to use ebay since i refuse to deal with paypal  

Well, you can buy them used from amazon, they're all listed "Like New." Low as $63.

Jul 28, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #5,629 of 29,490
Right out from my audiophile troll images thread.  People can be really mean when it comes to closing threads.  MEANIES!  It was meant to consolidate all the general crap to one place, now as you can see, it is spreading, LIKE THE PLAGUE!  XD

Quote:
In response to the guys bickering above, I think Stitch had good intentions but his wording came off as a little rude, especially so to someone who is really new to the head-fi forums. I agree that the Search button is a useful tool but sometimes after going through a few pages, you still will not be able to find an answer to your question.

What Jackedupmachine should do is list a price range, maybe some criterias to his headphones so that we can give more specific answers. And maybe the guys who have more experience in these forums can be a little nicer to newcomers.. especially the ones who own Beats. It seems like all Beats users are labeled as douchebags. While some may think they look hip-per or richer than the general population, some of them are really quite nice.

That single post stitch made about using the Search function probably isn't going to do much but piss off Jackedupmachine and maybe turn away a few lurkers on these forums. Being new myself, I think the atmosphere in here can be a little unforgiving for us - everyone's using DT880s, MS-1s, HD600s, M50s. Lower-end headphone users don't feel like they belong in here and they'll probably be discouraged from asking questions that might seem silly.

Ok back to the topic
smily_headphones1.gif

I just auditioned both the ATH-M50s and the SR80is for a short while today.

The SR80is definitely leak a lot, but the noise coming in from the outside isn't too big a deal.

The M50s were closed back so they sealed out a little more than the SR80is. Both were quite uncomfortable, compared to my Sennheiser HD438, since they had a lot more clamping force. The pads on the Grado were less smooth and had a slightly rougher surface than my HD438s' velour pads. THe M50's pads are hard and uncomfortable. All in all, I found the SR80i more comfortable than the M50s.

Again sound-wise, the SR80i wins. I don't know how to describe the sound from headphones but I felt that the SR80is had more life to their sound than the M50s. My friend disagrees, saying that the M50s had more bass than the SR80i. Psh. The cables on both the SR80i and M50 were a lot thicker than the ones on my HD438.

ATH-M50 - S$238
SR80i - S$170

Imo, the SR80i wins.

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #5,630 of 29,490
Okay, I finally got to talk to someone in person about all the headphones I was considering. My friends wouldn't listen ("why do you need anything more than earbuds?") so I just ended up talking my dad's ear off about each and every possibility. He said hardly anything, but as I was explaining different intricacies I was thinking clearly - I'll be ordering M50s in the morning. They tick more of the right bells than all the other cans. They're even modification friendly (I suppose this was driven especially by the shear number of people who buy them), so if there's something I don't like I can have some fun and tinker. Thanks all! I'll report back when I get 'em.

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #5,632 of 29,490

Quote:

HI All.....I own XonarDX Soundcard and Sony's MDRXD-100 Headphones.

My Preferrenced used for headphones:

Hardcore Gamer(FPS,RPG,Action,Adventure singleplayers) I love being immersed in games by sound so sound/directive/positional sound (& gun-fire/explosions should be felt/shake)as well as music in gaming are of Utmost imp.  (Infact I ambuying a new headsets for gaming only & was going for a 5.1headsets but heard frm this site that there are other headsets that provides better quality than 5.1 gaming headsets both in terms of sound/music quality as well as direction and positional sound)

I dont have much knowledge of being an audiophile and technical terms but I want to listen Music-all Genres(another imp. preference) and watch movies in highest quality possbile HD-audio etc. So would like to have an all-round headphones which could blow mind in gaming through 5.1 sound and also in music and movies.

Another thing, Are headphones better than speakers and can they provide that bass/impact of guns bombs/missiles exploding in games movies so that you can feel.

My budget is around 100-200$ 

And how good are these sony's xd100 headphones I am using compared to which u all are going to tell .

I see someone else suggested the AD700, but from what I've read the A700 should be another good option, should you prefer closed phones over open. Open headphones don't have a backing, and therefore sound leaks in and out - you'll be able to hear car alarms, traffic, whatever you normally hear without headphones, while anyone in your room will be able to hear what you're listening to. The Audio Technica ATH-A700 is supposed to do similarly to the AD700, but with greater isolation (preventing you from hearing others and others from hearing you), as they are closed headphones. Like the AD700, the A700 also lack may be lacking in bass presence.

You can find both for around $100 (new on Amazon), so you may actually want to pick up one for gaming and something else for music/movies.

If you really want only one pair, you'll have to make a sacrifice. It looks like positional audio and accurate representation of sound in music/movies is most important to you, so I would suggest you decide on open or closed headphones and then pick either the AD700 or A700, respectively. You could also change your EQ settings when listening to music or watching movies, as that may help drive up their bass without sacrificing their quality during gaming.

Jul 29, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #5,634 of 29,490
heheh. was messing around on mspaint when I stumbled on the thread =D

Quote:
Right out from my audiophile troll images thread.  People can be really mean when it comes to closing threads.  MEANIES!  It was meant to consolidate all the general crap to one place, now as you can see, it is spreading, LIKE THE PLAGUE!  XD

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #5,636 of 29,490
Hi i need some advice
i'm searching for some new headphones and i don't really know what to buy^^ currently i got the sennheiser ie8 in-ears and the v-moda crossfade lp's (bought them for durability as the ie8 somehow broke although i handled them like they were some kinda diamonds -.-)
Now i want to buy the best headphones i can get for about 500-1000€ but as i live in germany its not really easy.

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #5,637 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi i need some advice
i'm searching for some new headphones and i don't really know what to buy^^ currently i got the sennheiser ie8 in-ears and the v-moda crossfade lp's (bought them for durability as the ie8 somehow broke although i handled them like they were some kinda diamonds -.-)
Now i want to buy the best headphones i can get for about 500-1000€ but as i live in germany its not really easy.

What's your setup (DAC, amp, et al)?

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #5,639 of 29,490
ONE more question (or two), sorry guys... this is a fairly big purchase for me just wanna make sure im doing it right

im 90% certain ill get the senn HD-25-1-ii

but how does this compare to the ATH-m50s for use on ipod? favourably?

lastly, and more importantly, any specific advice for breaking them in? i have a amp at home i could connect them to if that matters

thanks alot

edit: oh one more thing.... just found out amazon wont ship this to New Zealand.... any ideas on other sites that would potentially ship it? it costs like 600USD to buy these in NZ

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #5,640 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi i need some advice

For now i only got a sound system from harman/kardon that hopefully will be able to power the phones till i buy an dedicated amp for them

Well at that price you're aiming at the flagships... Ultrasone, Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser are all German, so availability shouldn't be a problem there. 

Quote:
ONE more question (or two), sorry guys... this is a fairly big purchase for me just wanna make sure im doing it right

im 90% certain ill get the senn HD-25-1-ii

but how does this compare to the ATH-m50s for use on ipod? favourably?

lastly, and more importantly, any specific advice for breaking them in? i have a amp at home i could connect them to if that matters

thanks alot

edit: oh one more thing.... just found out amazon wont ship this to New Zealand.... any ideas on other sites that would potentially ship it? it costs like 600USD to buy these in NZ

I prefer the HD25-1-ii over the M50. Better isolation, punchier sound, debatably more comfort. 

Don't bother with break in. Just enjoy them. 

Can't really help you with shopping abroad... the HD25-1-ii are very common though. Have you tried checking out your local music stores? 600 USD is a ridiculously high price for them. Maybe ebay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back