++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 25, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #4,202 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The M50 is fine, but the mids are a bit lacking for my tastes and the soundstage is meh. The A700 are hit or miss for a lot of people, and they are generally considered bass light which doesn't appeal to most, though they have a nicer sense of soundstage.

The 440 to me are sort of in the middle of those two. Solid sound, relatively flat response, decent soundstage.

Thanks, 440 it is (whenever a local online seller gets it back in stock, or i may just get the M50 if it takes too long). I've heard that its advisable to buy the SRH840 pads to replace the ones the 440 come with, which is supposed to improve the sound and comfort. Is it really worth it? They cost about $40AUD, which makes it a tad more expensive than the M50 if bought with the 440 here.

I'm willing to get them if they make such a big difference, as i'll be wearing them for hours at time for gaming and the like.

May 25, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #4,204 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I'm about to venture into headphone, can someone recommend some model for me to start my audition? My preference is rich warm vocal and fast sparkling string/treble. Bass is less priority, fast and tight will do no need to go too deep.

HD600/650 have very nice mids and are considered by many to be among the best headphones under ~400.  I opted for HD600 because they are reputed to be less dark (or 'veiled', see picture -> 
deadhorse.gif
).  By far the best mids & vocals I have heard are HE-500 and people also rave about LCD-2, but those are about 2x the price.  Both HD600 and HE-500 have fairly smooth/tame highs in case you really want a treble emphasis.  If treble is your thing, RS-1 have good mids and are much brighter (but not nearly as bright as other Grados like SR225).  

May 25, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #4,205 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by faemir

Hi guys, I'm looking to buy some headphones (fullsize) on a budget of about £100.

I mostly listen to rock/metal, and would prefer if they were comfortable for a couple of hours usage.

I was looking at the Sony MDR-V6s or the ATH-AD700s, but I'm not very well geared into what's good apart from looking at this list. The AD700s are pretty garish though, why purple?

The V6 is a solid headphone. The AD700 also sounds excellent and has superb soundstage though light bass. They are easily taken apart and painted though, if the purple really bugs you (it's not that bad in person).

Quote:
The pads on my ATH A900's are starting to fall apart, and rather than getting another set of A900 pads, I was thinking of getting a pair of leather pads meant for their woodies.  Which ones will fit, and what will they do to the sound? 

I'm planning on doing the same to my AD700's, but in this case it's because the stock ones leave metal bits resting on my ears.  I need ones with less tapering towards the inside.  Any ideas?

You could probably start a separate thread for such a specific set of question. I've never switched pads on those, so I can't help you there.

Quote:
Never really looked into the specifics of head phones, but I'm looking for some new ones, and this forum seemed like a good place to get started. I listen to a wide variety of music (mostly anything but metal). My music will be played from my iPhone or laptop. I don't really care for a headphone amp and will be using these just to enjoy music. Price range is hopefully less than $125, but if that is rather low, I am willing to go higher. Any suggestions?

full sized or earpad? do you need isolation or not?

random suggestions for the day: Shure 440, Pioneer HDJ-500, Sony XB500, Audio Technica AD700

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/555447/did-i-get-a-bad-pair-of-ath-ad700-s-i-m-comparing-them-to-steelseries-siberia-v2-s

More specifically I'm referring to these parts of the thread in particular:

and...

So will HD558's offer me the comfort of the AD700's with the quality (on par or better than) of the Siberia V2's...

Sound will be better. Comfort is a tossup. Sennheisers are readily available in most stores; try on any of their full sized to see if the general shape works for you.

Quote:
Sorry to keep buggin ya guys...narrowed it down to two headphones and nowhere in my area has em' on demo.  Grado 60i or MDR-V6.  Wanna keep budget under $100.  As stated before I primarily listen to very heavy music...not fast but very heavy/deep/downtuned....and do a lotta iPhone gaming and all my tunes are stored on an iPhone.  I do lots of podcasting but I can always use a beater pair of headphones for the audio for both shows I work on cuz it gets compressed to hell anyways so clarity isn't a major issue when monitoring....so basically for editing our long podcasts (hours at a time) and enjoying heavy music should I spring for Grado SR60i ($79) or Sony MDR-V6 ($57) ?

-Thanks again guys, your advice has been priceless. 

Go for the V6. Better isolation and durability will go a long way for your purposes.

Quote:
Man.. I can't read all that XD
I just want headphones for all uses.. nothing pariculary.. Do you really think niether of them fit my uses?

They'll fit. You could do better... but they'll work just fine if you don't want to bother reading over your other options.

Quote:
I've always been intrigued by audiophile equipment and I've been on and off lurking the Head-Fi forums for the last few years. But in the end, I've always settled for cheap $20 earphones. This time, I decided to seriously plunge into audiophile equipment. Although I've been lurking for the last few days, I failed to reach a conclusion on which headphones would suit me the best. xD

My budget is around $400 (Was 200, then started moving higher and higher as I browsed Head-Fi. <.<). I do plan on bringing it out to places such as libraries, so open ones are out of the question. I'm also planning on getting FiiO E7 + E9 (Not considered in budget) as a DAC + Desktop amp + Portable amp, so if there are any amp recommendations, I'll be glad to hear them too. In total, for the amp + headphones, my budget would be around $600 or so. It can be raised by around a hundred or two, but I would prefer not to spend over $600 for them.

Currently, I'm using a motherboard integrated sound card and an iPod Classic for my music. I'm using .FLAC files on my computer, and 320kbps MP3 on my iPod. I usually use the Sony MDR-ED12LP until they break, lurk Head-Fi for a couple of days with no access to music, then settle for another MDR-ED12LP, so I have no idea what music from a mid range/high end headphones sound like.

I listen to most if not all genres, but I would say that I mainly listen to metal, symphonic metal, jpop, hardcore, ska, and classical music.

Anyway, after some research over the last few days, these were the headphones that I encountered, and the reasons why I'd consider getting something else over it. Correct me on them if possible, since everything is based on other people's opinions.

XB-1000/700/500 - Would probably not be a decent choice for genres such as jpop and ska.
D2000 - Great but bad build quality, and I'm a really clumsy person. <.< >.>
ATH-M50 - Looking for better ones if that's possible. This is still on my list as it's rather cheap and has decent reviews.
V6 - Same as ATH-M50
ATH-A900 - From what I've read, Ultrasones' headphones seem to be better overall.
SRH-750 - I have a gigantic head. Worried that it may not fit well and cause headaches.
SRH-840 - Same as SRH-750.
HFI-780 - V shaped sound.
HFI-580 & HFI-680 - Currently thinking on which of these to get, but also looking for other recommendations.

Getting two headphones for different genres that do not total up to over $400 is a choice too, but I would probably prefer just sticking to one.

I'm probably being excessively picky as there are so many models to choose from, and each of them sound and feel different. I want to get the best ones possible that are within my budget as selling/returning them isn't really possible, so once I buy it, I'm stuck with it for the next couple of months even if I'm not happy with it.

Sorry about the lengthyness and thanks in advance.

I'll offer comments on each of your choices:
XB series: yeah skip these, accentuated bass will not play that well to your genres
D2000: definitely skip if you're clumsy
M50/V6: good all-rounders, durable, keep them on your shortlist, but you could do better
A900:  also skip if you're clumsy
Shure 750/840: good sound, good isolation, durable, also huge and easily fits large heads
HFi: general good build quality and sound, S-Logic works for some and not for others

Some others to consider (and moving up the price scale) which all have good durability and isolation and play well across most genres:
B&W P5 - excellent isolation, good build quality, sharp looks
Pioneer HDJ-2000 - great isolation and durability, slight V shape but relatively flat and balanced for a DJ headphone
Beyerdynamic T50p or DT1350 - strong all rounders with good build
Beyerdynamic DT150 - huge size, strong build, good soundstage
Sennheiser HD25-1-ii - one of the most durable headphones ever, and all parts easily replaceable

Quote:
Between these 2headsphones which would sound best unamped? Alot of ppl are saying the DT770 sound most better then the M50
1)DT770
2)M50

The M50 is better unamped.

May 25, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #4,206 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks, 440 it is (whenever a local online seller gets it back in stock, or i may just get the M50 if it takes too long). I've heard that its advisable to buy the SRH840 pads to replace the ones the 440 come with, which is supposed to improve the sound and comfort. Is it really worth it? They cost about $40AUD, which makes it a tad more expensive than the M50 if bought with the 440 here.

I'm willing to get them if they make such a big difference, as i'll be wearing them for hours at time for gaming and the like.

Nah, the pads won't make such a difference as to justify that cost. You can always try stuffing some gauze or cotton under the 440 pad to fluff it up a bit and see how that changes things.

The 440 should be easy to find in any music store.

May 25, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #4,208 of 29,490

Quote:

The V6 is a solid headphone. The AD700 also sounds excellent and has superb soundstage though light bass. They are easily taken apart and painted though, if the purple really bugs you (it's not that bad in person).

You could probably start a separate thread for such a specific set of question. I've never switched pads on those, so I can't help you there.

full sized or earpad? do you need isolation or not?

random suggestions for the day: Shure 440, Pioneer HDJ-500, Sony XB500, Audio Technica AD700

Sound will be better. Comfort is a tossup. Sennheisers are readily available in most stores; try on any of their full sized to see if the general shape works for you.

Go for the V6. Better isolation and durability will go a long way for your purposes.

They'll fit. You could do better... but they'll work just fine if you don't want to bother reading over your other options.

I'll offer comments on each of your choices:
XB series: yeah skip these, accentuated bass will not play that well to your genres
D2000: definitely skip if you're clumsy
M50/V6: good all-rounders, durable, keep them on your shortlist, but you could do better
A900:  also skip if you're clumsy
Shure 750/840: good sound, good isolation, durable, also huge and easily fits large heads
HFi: general good build quality and sound, S-Logic works for some and not for others

Some others to consider (and moving up the price scale) which all have good durability and isolation and play well across most genres:
B&W P5 - excellent isolation, good build quality, sharp looks
Pioneer HDJ-2000 - great isolation and durability, slight V shape but relatively flat and balanced for a DJ headphone
Beyerdynamic T50p or DT1350 - strong all rounders with good build
Beyerdynamic DT150 - huge size, strong build, good soundstage
Sennheiser HD25-1-ii - one of the most durable headphones ever, and all parts easily replaceable

The M50 is better unamped.

But which one will fit the most from those I mentiond?
And I dont live in the US, so I dont think I have here the models from the thread you linked.
The SS S v2 costs 20$ more than the HSA1 in my place.

May 25, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #4,210 of 29,490
The more and more I look around here to help narrow down my choices the more choices that actually pop up...
I have decided to dive into higher end audio. I am between choosing the ibasso D6 or the practical devices XM5.
Now the headphones are what trouble me. I have been looking into the following:
AKG K701(mostly because I think they look good, from what I have read they may not be good for what I listen to)
AKG K 271 MKii
ATH M50 (suggested everywhere I look)
ATH A700 or 900
SRH 840 or 940 (just learned about these but don't know much)

Normal listening is rock but I am leaning more and more to Jazz(trios, few horns) and Classical for studying music. 
So far what I know is that:
AKG I hear have low bass power and the M50 rocks the hell out of bass
A700 and 900 have good spacing and are comfortable
The Shures are totally new to me. Are they worth a look? Is the new 940 worth me spending the extra money?
Thanks for any help.

May 25, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #4,211 of 29,490

Quote:
The more and more I look around here to help narrow down my choices the more choices that actually pop up...
I have decided to dive into higher end audio. I am between choosing the ibasso D6 or the practical devices XM5.
Now the headphones are what trouble me. I have been looking into the following:
AKG K701(mostly because I think they look good, from what I have read they may not be good for what I listen to)
AKG K 271 MKii
ATH M50 (suggested everywhere I look)
ATH A700 or 900
SRH 840 or 940 (just learned about these but don't know much)

Normal listening is rock but I am leaning more and more to Jazz(trios, few horns) and Classical for studying music. 
So far what I know is that:
AKG I hear have low bass power and the M50 rocks the hell out of bass
A700 and 900 have good spacing and are comfortable
The Shures are totally new to me. Are they worth a look? Is the new 940 worth me spending the extra money?
Thanks for any help.

I think you first need to decide if you want an open or closed headphone (the latter, for example if you need to block out sounds, or don't want to disturb others with your music).  Open sound much better imo (or as good as closed that cost ~$200 more).

May 25, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #4,212 of 29,490
hello, people of head-fi

currently looking for a headset

the following would be priority
1. comfort
2. SQ is secondary

have narrowed down my choices to the HD555, ATH AD700, akg k240 and maybe the DT440.(2nd hand up for sale in my local forum)

therefore, you can see my budget would be roughly around USD$80-100.

no preference on the type of leathers used. just sick and tired of my grados giving me thumping headaches after 3hours of usage

May 25, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #4,213 of 29,490

Quote:
I think you first need to decide if you want an open or closed headphone (the latter, for example if you need to block out sounds, or don't want to disturb others with your music).  Open sound much better imo (or as good as closed that cost ~$200 more).

Oh sorry, I need closed backs. Thought that I mentioned that. Opens are a possibility.

May 26, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #4,215 of 29,490
Wow, sorry, I thought he said he wasn't worried.  When I think about it, that made no sense...  XD

Quote:

Grado is possibly the worst choice for recording work because they have absolutely zero isolation.

Here are some good studio headphones to look into. They all have fairly neutral sound, good isolation, and are rugged enough to transport.
Sony V6: weakest isolation of the three, strongest mid-highs, also the cheapest (the 7506 is mostly the same, but more $)
Senn HD280: best isolation, strongest sub-bass, strongest clamp/least comfortable
Shure 440: mid strong, most comfortable

Well those all have very different sound signatures. It depends what you're looking for:
K701: strong mids/midhighs, present bass but no deep rumble, great for classical and acoustic
DT880: strong bass and highs, if you have an amp you might as well go for the 250 or 600 ohm
RS1i: just read up on the Grado sound
D2000: this is your only closed can on the list, smoother bass than the DT880, good response across entire spectrum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back