++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 26, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #4,216 of 29,490

Quote:
But which one will fit the most from those I mentiond
And I dont live in the US, so I dont think I have here the models from the thread you linked.
The SS S v2 costs 20$ more than the HSA1 in my place.

Why not just go ask in one of the gaming headphone threads then? You'll get more useful feedback there. I'm just going to wind up saying more of the same.

Quote:
The more and more I look around here to help narrow down my choices the more choices that actually pop up...
I have decided to dive into higher end audio. I am between choosing the ibasso D6 or the practical devices XM5.
Now the headphones are what trouble me. I have been looking into the following:
AKG K701(mostly because I think they look good, from what I have read they may not be good for what I listen to)
AKG K 271 MKii
ATH M50 (suggested everywhere I look)
ATH A700 or 900
SRH 840 or 940 (just learned about these but don't know much)

Normal listening is rock but I am leaning more and more to Jazz(trios, few horns) and Classical for studying music. 
So far what I know is that:
AKG I hear have low bass power and the M50 rocks the hell out of bass
A700 and 900 have good spacing and are comfortable
The Shures are totally new to me. Are they worth a look? Is the new 940 worth me spending the extra money?
Thanks for any help.

Quote:
Oh sorry, I need closed backs. Thought that I mentioned that. Opens are a possibility.

For a closed headphone with good balanced sound that plays well to jazz and horns, I would choose the 840. The 940 looks quite promising and it seems to have a vastly improved headband which was my main gripe with the 840. It hasn't been out very long though, so reviews are scarce.

Quote:
hello, people of head-fi

currently looking for a headset

the following would be priority
1. comfort
2. SQ is secondary

have narrowed down my choices to the HD555, ATH AD700, akg k240 and maybe the DT440.(2nd hand up for sale in my local forum)

therefore, you can see my budget would be roughly around USD$80-100.

no preference on the type of leathers used. just sick and tired of my grados giving me thumping headaches after 3hours of usage

The AD700 (or any of the Audio Technica "wing" headphones) are incredibly comfortable. Moreso than the Senns and AKGs and Beyers... but that's just for me. Comfort is difficult to judge for other people.

May 26, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #4,217 of 29,490
Currently own a Sennheiser HD555 that I use for my main computer.  It's pretty worn out with cracks and a duct tape holding it together.  Now I'm looking for a closed headphone that I will use for my ipod nano 6g/iphone 3gs.  While I liked HD555's quality, I didn't like how the sound leaks out from the headphone.  I also have a Sony DRBT-50 that I previously used for my iphone but when I use it with my ipod nano with a bt transmitter, the power drain is ridiculous that I have a maximum of 3 hours before battery runs out on nano without pressing any buttons.  After comparing my Sony headset and my HD555's sound quality side by side, they feel almost the same with the difference that the HD555's is more clearer.  Now for the main topic,  I have narrowed it down to HD 438 and HD 448.  I've heard that the HD448's bass was not that good but its more clearer.  Will I hear a big difference if I get the HD448 instead of the HD438? Mostly listens to J-Pop. This btw is not for replacing my HD555.

May 26, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #4,218 of 29,490
^

[size=medium]

Quote:
correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the HD25 is the top of the like closed senn.
and its a hell or a portable, I wont trade it for any of the other's I have for portable use.

edit: lol moved where?

wink_face.gif
[/size]

May 26, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #4,221 of 29,490
Hi Gregole,

Both HD 448 and HD 438 are great headphones. The HD 438 come with a punchier bass and are great for pop and rock while the HD 448 really shine with jazz and classical. Hope this helps!

Quote:
I have narrowed it down to HD 438 and HD 448.  I've heard that the HD448's bass was not that good but its more clearer.  Will I hear a big difference if I get the HD448 instead of the HD438? Mostly listens to J-Pop. This btw is not for replacing my HD555.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 26, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #4,222 of 29,490
I see.  I wish the HD438 uses the same body as the HD448.  Its not that I don't like the chrome design, it reminded me of my HD555 and afraid it may break in the same place as my HD555.  If you can rate whether which one comes close to the HD555, what would you rate the HD438 and the HD448?

Screw it, convinced me to get HD438 thanks for the help.
tongue_smile.gif

May 26, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #4,224 of 29,490
Looking at a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-AD400s for approximately $60USD, but I'm worried about the lack of bass that I've heard is endemic to the entire Air Dynamic series. Anyone care to comment? How do they stack up to similar models like the AD300/500/700?

What I'm looking for is a pair of full-sized headphones to complement my closed and portable IEM (Panasonic RP-HJE900-K). In this sense, the Audio-Technicas are appealing in that they're winged, circumaural and open-backed (helps vs sweat?) all suggest a very comfortable pair of cans for long durations (watching movies/playing games/etc.). Full-sized, I'm hard pressed to think of anything that can compete at this price segment. I can go higher if there's a compelling offer on hand, it all depends on the aforementioned bass issue. I'm not someone who demands NASTY NASTY FILTHY EPIK DANK BASS BRAH, but I do listen to electronic music that features quite a bit of it. If they are as tinny as reports say, I really fear they won't suit me at all.

May 26, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #4,226 of 29,490
Why not the 80 Ohm version??

May 26, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #4,227 of 29,490
For anyone with experience with the SRH-840s, what sort of isolation do they have?  I'm thinking about picking up a set for work, where I'd use them in a very noisy environment, but I want to make sure they have decent isolation before I order anything.  IEMs are a no-go as an alternative.

May 26, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #4,228 of 29,490

Quote:
Anyone tried the JVC HA-S700s?
They're under $30 on Amazon right now, and I feel like I should feel the trigger.

Just do it! Do you wanna be the only kid on the block without new toys? C'mooooon, everyone else has one....

/peer pressure

Quote:
Looking at a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-AD400s for approximately $60USD, but I'm worried about the lack of bass that I've heard is endemic to the entire Air Dynamic series. Anyone care to comment? How do they stack up to similar models like the AD300/500/700?

What I'm looking for is a pair of full-sized headphones to complement my closed and portable IEM (Panasonic RP-HJE900-K). In this sense, the Audio-Technicas are appealing in that they're winged, circumaural and open-backed (helps vs sweat?) all suggest a very comfortable pair of cans for long durations (watching movies/playing games/etc.). Full-sized, I'm hard pressed to think of anything that can compete at this price segment. I can go higher if there's a compelling offer on hand, it all depends on the aforementioned bass issue. I'm not someone who demands NASTY NASTY FILTHY EPIK DANK BASS BRAH, but I do listen to electronic music that features quite a bit of it. If they are as tinny as reports say, I really fear they won't suit me at all.

Might as well add a few bucks and get the AD700 for $80. I felt the bass was adequate. You can always bass boost if required.

Quote:
Which DT770 model should i get the 250o or 600o?

Unamped? 250 (and that's kinda pushing it already if you like loud volumes)

Amped? 600

May 26, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #4,229 of 29,490

Quote:
For anyone with experience with the SRH-840s, what sort of isolation do they have?  I'm thinking about picking up a set for work, where I'd use them in a very noisy environment, but I want to make sure they have decent isolation before I order anything.  IEMs are a no-go as an alternative.

Good for their class, but not the best. Better than Shure 750, Audio Technica M50.

Higher up, I give the nods to: Senn HD25-1-ii, HD280, HD380, Beyer DT770 and B&W P5.

May 26, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #4,230 of 29,490
Hello Head'fier

I am looking for a pair of headphones with impactful and rich bass for music ... seeking open and closed phones that would also go great with movies. They have to run unamped, but if amp makes them better please write a suggestion for a nice amp that go with the phones. My price limited 225 buck ... i appreciate your effort, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back