++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 26, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #4,231 of 29,490
I would love to buy a new headset for under $100. I would prefer that it would be compatible with my 360 and PS3 even if I'd mainly use it for the PC and my iPad. I saw the Corsair HS1's and were fascinated by them. What would you guys recommend? I want the latest and greatest for the buck, so I would also prefer that the set came out in late 2010 until now.

May 26, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #4,232 of 29,490
Looking to buy my first  pair of headphones. My budget is current ~100$. Mainly I want to use them to watch movies, listen to music, and play some games.  I have my eye on these three so far:

Audio Technica ATH-AD700
Sennheiser HD555
Fostex T50RPs

Which one would give me more value for the money? Also I am open to other suggestions.

May 27, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #4,233 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello Head'fier

I am looking for a pair of headphones with impactful and rich bass for music ... seeking open and closed phones that would also go great with movies. They have to run unamped, but if amp makes them better please write a suggestion for a nice amp that go with the phones. My price limited 225 buck ... i appreciate your effort, thanks.

Shure 750
Sony XB700
M-Audio Q40

Quote:
I would love to buy a new headset for under $100. I would prefer that it would be compatible with my 360 and PS3 even if I'd mainly use it for the PC and my iPad. I saw the Corsair HS1's and were fascinated by them. What would you guys recommend? I want the latest and greatest for the buck, so I would also prefer that the set came out in late 2010 until now.

Beyerdynamic MMX2

Quote:
Looking to buy my first  pair of headphones. My budget is current ~100$. Mainly I want to use them to watch movies, listen to music, and play some games.  I have my eye on these three so far:

Audio Technica ATH-AD700
Sennheiser HD555
Fostex T50RPs

Which one would give me more value for the money? Also I am open to other suggestions.

I think the T50RP is a great well rounded headphone with tons of modding potential. It likes to have a bit more power behind it though. If you have a home receiver to plug it into, great.

May 27, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #4,234 of 29,490

Quote:
For anyone with experience with the SRH-840s, what sort of isolation do they have?  I'm thinking about picking up a set for work, where I'd use them in a very noisy environment, but I want to make sure they have decent isolation before I order anything.  IEMs are a no-go as an alternative.

as someone else already said, they are decent.  I actually think they isolate a tad better than my beyer 770s.  The big plus is you can get good volume unamped and also some richness. 
I know that i can't wear them even at low low volume if im waiting on someone to come by cause ill never hear the door bell.  But your work is probably significantly louder.
but yeah, good, but not great.  however the sound out of them is pretty damn sweet

May 27, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #4,237 of 29,490

Quote:
Just do it! Do you wanna be the only kid on the block without new toys? C'mooooon, everyone else has one....

/peer pressure

Might as well add a few bucks and get the AD700 for $80. I felt the bass was adequate. You can always bass boost if required.

Unamped? 250 (and that's kinda pushing it already if you like loud volumes)

Amped? 600

Can you explain what you mean by ''kinda pushing it already''?

May 27, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #4,239 of 29,490
Hello,

I'm looking for a closed headphone (it will be used at tubes, street, plane...). I was using the HD 448 (I broke it, that's the why I'm looking for a new pair now :)), and I have the HD 598 at home. I must say I really enjoy the Senns' sound, but I wanted to try something different (instead of buying the HD 448 again).

I listen to lots of different genres, from classical to drum and bass, so I guess this doesn't help much.

And I have the Fiio E7 to amp and my budget < 200 USD.

Thanks!

edit: forgot to mention... I use glasses, so comfort is really important to me

May 27, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #4,240 of 29,490
First post.

I'm a noob wondering where to next ... until recently I've only ever used cheap headsets.  Now I've bought UE in-ears, Senn MX580 buds then PX100ii.  I found the in-ears a little uncomfortable even if the sound was an eye-opener; loved the MX580's clarity; and although the PX100ii had a lovely rich sound it felt muddied.

So I am asking for suggestions for an easily driven (by PMP/laptop), open, preferably circumaural set.  From reading here and elsewhere on the 'net maybe the ATK AD700 is a logical choice?  Also I live in the tropics and know from using a gaming set of headphones that vinyl/leather gets sticky in the heat.

I listen to most varieties of music except metal and techno ... budget a few hundred dollars (doesn't go very far in Australia).

Thanks in advance.

May 27, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #4,241 of 29,490
Alright lads.

Quick Q - Feedback appreciated!

Need help deciding between:
Audio Technica Pro700MK2
vs

Seinnheiser 598

I mainly listen to Electronic music - energetic; think Progressive/Deep Tech + Dubstep. Other than that, Hip Hop/RandB.

Thanks in Advance!

May 27, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #4,242 of 29,490

Quote:
The point is that I already have a pair og m50s but would like a pair with more fun in it ... what about grado's for bass and mid's

More colored ... i want a fun headphone

Fun and coloured: Phiaton MS400

The Grados might not satisfy in the bass department, but it's tough to say. They have good clarity, but lack "oomph" for lack of a better word. They won't hit and rumble as hard as a closed can.

Quote:
Can you explain what you mean by ''kinda pushing it already''?

It depends on your source. 32 ohm is ok for most portable players, 250 is where you'll probably struggle to make it play loud (but moderate volumes should be ok), 600 will be quiet and sound a bit anemic.

Quote:
I have a question, will you upgrade your headphone cable or buy a new headphone? I just bought SAA cable for $700 but i feel regret now.

Get a new headphone.

Quote:
Hello,

I'm looking for a closed headphone (it will be used at tubes, street, plane...). I was using the HD 448 (I broke it, that's the why I'm looking for a new pair now :)), and I have the HD 598 at home. I must say I really enjoy the Senns' sound, but I wanted to try something different (instead of buying the HD 448 again).

I listen to lots of different genres, from classical to drum and bass, so I guess this doesn't help much.

And I have the Fiio E7 to amp and my budget < 200 USD.

Thanks!

edit: forgot to mention... I use glasses, so comfort is really important to me

Since you were carting the 448 around, I guess you don't mind them being on the larger/non-collapsible side. For good isolation with a modicum of portability, studio/dj headphones are generally pretty good although they tend to have recessed mids so won't necessarily play well across all genres. Some other recommendations:
- Shure 840
- Phiaton MS400
- Senn HD380
- Sony V6
- Beyer DT770
- Senn HD25-1-ii

I wear glasses too, and the only one I found a bit uncomfortable were the DT770.

Quote:
First post.

I'm a noob wondering where to next ... until recently I've only ever used cheap headsets.  Now I've bought UE in-ears, Senn MX580 buds then PX100ii.  I found the in-ears a little uncomfortable even if the sound was an eye-opener; loved the MX580's clarity; and although the PX100ii had a lovely rich sound it felt muddied.

So I am asking for suggestions for an easily driven (by PMP/laptop), open, preferably circumaural set.  From reading here and elsewhere on the 'net maybe the ATK AD700 is a logical choice?  Also I live in the tropics and know from using a gaming set of headphones that vinyl/leather gets sticky in the heat.

I listen to most varieties of music except metal and techno ... budget a few hundred dollars (doesn't go very far in Australia).

Thanks in advance.

The AD700/900 are a fine open set, though they're a bit too big for portable use. A Senn 555/558 is fairly cheap and a good open headphone; one step up from those is the 595/598, though you can easily mod the former into the latter.

Quote:
Alright lads.

Quick Q - Feedback appreciated!

Need help deciding between:
Audio Technica Pro700MK2
vs

Seinnheiser 598

I mainly listen to Electronic music - energetic; think Progressive/Deep Tech + Dubstep. Other than that, Hip Hop/RandB.

Thanks in Advance!

Easily the Audio Technica for your genres. Here's a review: http://www.headfonia.com/bass-to-the-power-of-two-pro700-mk2/

May 27, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #4,243 of 29,490
Hey Armaegis,

thanks for the recommendations! I had the 7506, they sound great indeed. But after some research here, I end up with 2 finalists: Shure SRH-440 (I read in a thread that the sound difference between the 440 and the 840 is not worth the price difference, and I also intend to use it as a portable can, so I think the 840 would be a little too big) and the HD 25-1.

What would be your suggestion? I must say I'm a bit biased towards the Shure just because of the different sound signature I'd have.

So, is the sound signature of the HD 25 a lot different compared to the HD 448? And sound-wise, which one has the best quality?

Thanks again

May 27, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #4,244 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey Armaegis,

thanks for the recommendations! I had the 7506, they sound great indeed. But after some research here, I end up with 2 finalists: Shure SRH-440 (I read in a thread that the sound difference between the 440 and the 840 is not worth the price difference, and I also intend to use it as a portable can, so I think the 840 would be a little too big) and the HD 25-1.

What would be your suggestion? I must say I'm a bit biased towards the Shure just because of the different sound signature I'd have.

So, is the sound signature of the HD 25 a lot different compared to the HD 448? And sound-wise, which one has the best quality?

Thanks again

The HD25 has better bass and durability, but it's also twice the price. The sound is more punchy vs the Shure's smoother presentation. It's also supraaural, vs the 440 being circumaural. This affects comfort and durability for people differently.

While I prefer the sound of the HD25, the higher clamp with the earpad makes it uncomfortable for me, particularly since I wear glasses. Many people find the HD25 very comfortable though, so it's a bit of a tossup. Check out your local music store and see if they have these models available for audition.

May 27, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #4,245 of 29,490
Looking to buy full size headphones for around $100, looking at these:

V-moda Crossfade LP (how much worse are the sound in these headphones?)
ATH-PRO700MK2
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

using for music (rock, pop, metal,etc), movies, video games

Have these headphones:
AKG K 81 DJ
Koss UR55

what would be the best upgrade sound, comfort, durable, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back