++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 24, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #4,171 of 29,490

Hi all,

I have been browsing through this forum for a few days now searching for reviews of beyerdynamic dt880 250 ohm headphones(cought my eye while browsing for headphones on internet).Found plenty of reviews,they seem like quality headphones and I am close to ordering them from "moon-audio" on ebay.But,will they be an upgrade from my current headphones Denon D1001? I am using Aune Hifidiy USB DAC MKII SE and Nuforce UDAC.D1001 sound good (mids kinda lacking) and are very comfortable,but how are they compared to DT880?

I live in Croatia and chances for auditioning DT880 are slim to none.So any advice would be appreciated.Maybe suggest other headphones? BTW i listen to a variety of music- jazz,rock,blues,pop...

Edit: my budget is  350 USD..

Thank you in advance

PC-->Aune USB DAC MKII SE-->D1001

LAPTOP-->Nuforce UDAC--->D1001

May 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #4,173 of 29,490
May 24, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #4,174 of 29,490
Hello all,

I am seeking for headphones for every use.
Music, gaming and skype.

I thought of SS Siberia V2 .vs. ‏Corsair HS1A.
I want them to be comfortable and the microphone should be high quality..
I dont really care about insolation, but I do want them not to presure my ears or make them sweat..

Which should I take?
Thank you.

May 24, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #4,175 of 29,490

Quote:

Hi all,
I have been browsing through this forum for a few days now searching for reviews of beyerdynamic dt880 250 ohm headphones(cought my eye while browsing for headphones on internet).Found plenty of reviews,they seem like quality headphones and I am close to ordering them from "moon-audio" on ebay.But,will they be an upgrade from my current headphones Denon D1001? I am using Aune Hifidiy USB DAC MKII SE and Nuforce UDAC.D1001 sound good (mids kinda lacking) and are very comfortable,but how are they compared to DT880?
I live in Croatia and chances for auditioning DT880 are slim to none.So any advice would be appreciated.Maybe suggest other headphones? BTW i listen to a variety of music- jazz,rock,blues,pop...

Edit: my budget is  350 USD..

Thank you in advance

PC-->Aune USB DAC MKII SE-->D1001
LAPTOP-->Nuforce UDAC--->D1001

The DT880 has recessed mids and pronounced bass/highs compared to the D1001. If you found the D1001 mids lacking, you probably won't like the DT880. I would suggest moving up to the D2000 or maybe a used D5000.

Quote:
How much do ATH-M50s leak sound? 

Not much. Even better if you slap the Shure840 pads on them.

Quote:
Hello all,

I am seeking for headphones for every use.
Music, gaming and skype.

I thought of SS Siberia V2 .vs. ‏Corsair HS1A.
I want them to be comfortable and the microphone should be high quality..
I dont really care about insolation, but I do want them not to presure my ears or make them sweat..

Which should I take?
Thank you.

Skip the gaming brands and go with a company that makes pro headphones and microphones... I would suggest something like the Beyerdynamic MMX2 or Sennheiser PC line. They both make higher end models, but those might be out of your budget.

May 24, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #4,176 of 29,490
I can't thank you guys enough for steering me in the right direction!  You've successfully weened me away from another Skullcandy pair, lol.  I really wanted a Grado set for listening to tunes, yet I'm nervous as hell about the lack of isolation when working in-studio on our podcasts.  Do you guys see the Sony V6, Shure 440, or Senn HD280s still pulling their weigh compared to a Grados 60i or 80 sound-wise?  For the amount of podcasting i'm involved with, I still do listen to a ton of very heavy downtuned rock music the other half the week...I wanna make sure I get a set around $80 or under that sound pretty good even outside of our recordings....

Once again...THANKS!

May 24, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #4,177 of 29,490
Hi everyone. I want to buy my first set of good headphones to use on my laptop (with onboard sound, my future build will have a sound card), but for the price i want to pay here in Australia, i've narrowed it down to three...

SRH-440
ATH-A700
ATH-M50

I'll be using it for both music and gaming. Some of the bands i listen to are Foo Fighters, Airborne Toxic Event, Smashing Pumpkins, Silversun Pickups, and so on. Mostly Rock/Alt. Rock and the like. Out of those, which has the better sound quality and will be more comfortable to use for hours at a time?
The best audio i've heard comes from my ipod touch earphones, so i'm sure i'll be amazed no matter what haha.

May 24, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #4,178 of 29,490

Quote:

The DT880 has recessed mids and pronounced bass/highs compared to the D1001. If you found the D1001 mids lacking, you probably won't like the DT880. I would suggest moving up to the D2000 or maybe a used D5000.

Not much. Even better if you slap the Shure840 pads on them.

Skip the gaming brands and go with a company that makes pro headphones and microphones... I would suggest something like the Beyerdynamic MMX2 or Sennheiser PC line. They both make higher end models, but those might be out of your budget.

Yes I guess they are out of budget..
I just want a normal budget (aprox. SS S V2 and HS1A..)
I think they are the best for my budget..
So.. should I take one of them? and which one?

Thanks.

May 24, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #4,179 of 29,490
This is a great thread because I was just about to create a new one about the same information in this thread!

I am new to the scene and I am ready to get some nice headphones to listen to my music.  I listen to mainly rock/heavy metal so I am not sure what is the best one to get.  I am open for suggestions on what is out there for price from barely anything to high dollar.  Sometimes you get what you pay for so that is why I am open.  I listen to music off of my home stereo and my ipod.  I hope this information helps.  :)

May 24, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #4,180 of 29,490

Quote:
I can't thank you guys enough for steering me in the right direction!  You've successfully weened me away from another Skullcandy pair, lol.  I really wanted a Grado set for listening to tunes, yet I'm nervous as hell about the lack of isolation when working in-studio on our podcasts.  Do you guys see the Sony V6, Shure 440, or Senn HD280s still pulling their weigh compared to a Grados 60i or 80 sound-wise?  For the amount of podcasting i'm involved with, I still do listen to a ton of very heavy downtuned rock music the other half the week...I wanna make sure I get a set around $80 or under that sound pretty good even outside of our recordings....

Once again...THANKS!

The V6/440/280 are all good headphones. I would personally pick the Shure 440 out of them. The Grado is really completely unsuitable for studio work; not portable, not durable, just as loud on the outside as in, no isolation whatsoever.

Quote:
Hi everyone. I want to buy my first set of good headphones to use on my laptop (with onboard sound, my future build will have a sound card), but for the price i want to pay here in Australia, i've narrowed it down to three...

SRH-440
ATH-A700
ATH-M50

I'll be using it for both music and gaming. Some of the bands i listen to are Foo Fighters, Airborne Toxic Event, Smashing Pumpkins, Silversun Pickups, and so on. Mostly Rock/Alt. Rock and the like. Out of those, which has the better sound quality and will be more comfortable to use for hours at a time?
The best audio i've heard comes from my ipod touch earphones, so i'm sure i'll be amazed no matter what haha.

I would choose the Shure 440.

Quote:
Yes I guess they are out of budget..
I just want a normal budget (aprox. SS S V2 and HS1A..)
I think they are the best for my budget..
So.. should I take one of them? and which one?

Thanks.

The Beyer MMX 2 should be within budget for you. If not that, then get a good budget headphone with a standalone microphone.

May 24, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #4,181 of 29,490

Quote:
The V6/440/280 are all good headphones. I would personally pick the Shure 440 out of them. The Grado is really completely unsuitable for studio work; not portable, not durable, just as loud on the outside as in, no isolation whatsoever.

I would choose the Shure 440.

The Beyer MMX 2 should be within budget for you. If not that, then get a good budget headphone with a standalone microphone.

What's wrong with the models I gave? As I know they are higly recomended..
And I really prefer good HP with a mic..

May 24, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #4,182 of 29,490
hey guys, I currently own a pair of ATH-M50s. Although I like them, I feel that they dont have enough bass in them and would want something with a bit more bass. I mainly listen to r&b, electro, and some rock every now and then. I would set this up with a Fiio e5 with my ipod, and so far I cant decide between the MS400 and Ultrasone HFI models.  Anyone has any suggestions ? Thanks

May 24, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #4,183 of 29,490

Quote:
hey guys, I currently own a pair of ATH-M50s. Although I like them, I feel that they dont have enough bass in them and would want something with a bit more bass. I mainly listen to r&b, electro, and some rock every now and then. I would set this up with a Fiio e5 with my ipod, and so far I cant decide between the MS400 and Ultrasone HFI models.  Anyone has any suggestions ? Thanks

M50s have plenty of bass ... if you want to ~feel bass, get a subwoover (physical limits)

May 24, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #4,185 of 29,490

Quote:
What's wrong with the models I gave? As I know they are higly recomended..
And I really prefer good HP with a mic..

Nothing wrong per se... you could just do better for your money.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

Quote:

The MS400 is good, as is the M-Audio Q40 and Sony XB500/700.

Quote:
Thanks. If you wouldn't mind, could you explain to me why? No reason, i'd just like to know why you'd choose the 440 over the other two. :)

The M50 is fine, but the mids are a bit lacking for my tastes and the soundstage is meh. The A700 are hit or miss for a lot of people, and they are generally considered bass light which doesn't appeal to most, though they have a nicer sense of soundstage.

The 440 to me are sort of in the middle of those two. Solid sound, relatively flat response, decent soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back