++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 18, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #2,236 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm buying right now and am completely torn and need some advice from you nice people.

As the subject mentioned - the K701 whites versus the 880 or 990 - and the price is virtually equal.  Both would be in new condition.

My listening habits are primarily hip-hop, electronic, jazz, indie (kind of all over the place).

Please help any input will do!  I'm leaning toward the K701's as they seem to be more tried and true....

If you like bass, it's really hard to go wrong with the 990.  They sound pretty good for almost every genre to me.

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #2,237 of 29,490

Quote:
I did not like the M50 with classical music in the slightest. Any Sennheiser in that price range will be better. You can get a used ESW9 or K701 for that price which would be excellent (the former does not need an amp).

The ESW9 looks amazing and not need an amp is great but I checked amazon.ca and ebay.ca and no used. Where else can I check for used headphones? I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
I need closed headphones for the isolation because I will be mainly using them at university so the K701 would not be a good option. Any closed Sennheisers would you recommend?

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #2,238 of 29,490

Quote:
The ESW9 looks amazing and not need an amp is great but I checked amazon.ca and ebay.ca and no used. Where else can I check for used headphones? I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
I need closed headphones for the isolation because I will be mainly using them at university so the K701 would not be a good option. Any closed Sennheisers would you recommend?

Keep an eye out on the sale forums here, as well as canuckaudiomart.com

A good closed and portable Sennheiser is the PX200-ii.

Others to consider:
Sony MDR-V6 or 7506
Sennheiser HD280
Phiaton MS300
Shure SRH440

Mar 18, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #2,240 of 29,490
I'm looking into buying some portable headphones to use with my ipod. Was looking into Grado sr80i's and the Alessandro MS1i, but since they are open back headphones they will probably leak too much sound on the bus/train. Simple, black, designs are preferred (no flashy stuff).
Will semi-opens do better? My budget is about 150,- euros max.

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #2,241 of 29,490
The MS1i definetly leak too much for wearing on the bus train. There's very little difference in volume between what you hear when you have them on and what is leaked.That's why I'm looking for some portable IEMs for the bus/train at the moment. I want some that are good at handling hip hop (mainly instrumental) to play on my ipod. My budget is around $70 but it can go up or down depending. Any suggestions anybody?

Mar 18, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #2,242 of 29,490

Quote:
The MS1i definetly leak too much for wearing on the bus train. There's very little difference in volume between what you hear when you have them on and what is leaked.That's why I'm looking for some portable IEMs for the bus/train at the moment. I want some that are good at handling hip hop (mainly instrumental) to play on my ipod. My budget is around $70 but it can go up or down depending. Any suggestions anybody?

You might want to drink from this fire hose.  It contains all the information you will ever want on iems and has a handy ranking at the bottom:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-152-iems-compared-woodees-blues-xears-td-iii-added-03-14#post_6492044

Several iems with bass and good sound ratings can be found in your budget in the fs forum.

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #2,243 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking into buying some portable headphones to use with my ipod. Was looking into Grado sr80i's and the Alessandro MS1i, but since they are open back headphones they will probably leak too much sound on the bus/train. Simple, black, designs are preferred (no flashy stuff).

Just to give you more info, Semi-open isn't much better. I thought it would be without trying first, and my K240 leaks quite a bit. Other headphones might be different, but I doubt it.

Otherwise, check this out:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-71-portable-headphones-reviewed-sony-mdr-zx700-mdr-v6-added-03-07

Mar 19, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #2,244 of 29,490
Hello - great forum and posters you have here.  Kudos on all of that.

I come to all of you, hat in hand, asking your advice before spending 10x more on headphones than I ever have in the past.
Nothing new around here, I'm sure.  I currently have Senn HD201's and really like them.

Here's the breakdown:
Budget: $300 +- 10%
Uses (in order): Xbox360, TV/movies, music. (Sitting back about 12 feet or so from the tv, would like wireless)
Considering: Sennheiser 555/595 with Astro Mixamp 5.8, zalman clip-on mic
Music genres: interested in most things that aren't hip-hop, rap, techno, or country

I'm not a big bass-head, so that's not my main consideration, I don't want it to be missing, but I prefer subtlety I guess.  The 201's lack bass, yes, I still like their sound but it would be nice to have just a tad more.

I'm afraid to pull the trigger though, am I getting the right multi-purpose headphone?  Is the 595 worth $65 more than the 555?  Their Amazon prices are $150 for the 595 and $85 for the 555.  It's the same driver and housing aside from a little foam pad from what I've read.  Are the earcups the same?  Comfort level?  Is the mixamp 5.8 my best solution?

I started out thinking I'd like to watch tv or play games at a reasonable level while my wife sleeps.  After looking at other Senns online b/c I like my 201's, I found the 555/595.  About to buy them and I noticed someone complaining about sound leak, then I learned what "open/closed" means and I've been digging through forums & reviews for a week straight.  Everything I read suggests open is better, and my wife is a solid sleeper, so if what she hears is as loud as our tv at a reasonable level but what I'm hearing is loads better, then it's win-win.  Better quality audio in the bedroom without having to bother with a surround setup.  And I really like the idea of the surround processing and wireless nature of the mixamp 5.8.  The other main reason for the mixamp is its ability to mix adjust the voice chat level independently of game audio.  I've found that using headphones and selecting "send chat audio through speakers" on the xbox provides terrible results.

But you're the experts.  What do you think?

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #2,245 of 29,490

Quote:

And a fire hose for you:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-71-portable-headphones-reviewed-sony-mdr-zx700-mdr-v6-added-03-07#post_5828504

Sound-wise, the top rated portable closed/sound-blocking are MD25 and M50.  Both are also basic black and bling-free.  Haven't heard either so I'll the review do the talking.

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #2,247 of 29,490
Hey just joined this site not to long ago, i was looking to buy my first Hi-fi / pro headphones (for ipod and other things (7.1 Onkyo receiver connected to PC) but i had a problem i didn't know whether to get the  ATH-M50S or the Shure SRH840. So i found this site and read Most of the topics about the 2. I am no expert i am coming from very bad apple ear buds so i have no idea what you guys mean by "Its not fun" "bass is muddy"  "neutral sound" "bass lacks warmth" etc. I listen to something called Vocaloid it's  Japanese rock ,pop ,metal etc.  So after about a week of reading this site i am going to go with the Shure SRH840 1 Main reason is because of the  Detachable Cord and (according to you guys) Clear sound and all that good stuff. I like Bass but i never owend a Pro head phone so i don't know how much is to much for me. I  want to where the 840s outside (don't care if people stair/look/make fun of you)  but it depends on how comfortable it is. To me the ATH-M50s looks like its just Hype ( remember i don't know what i am talking about i am just going off of Post / reviews i read)  but i would like some Final opinions on the matter again

i want Clear sound, no added effects to the sound,  Bass (Not To much bass but i want to hear it /feel it) Noise isolation, comfortable to where outside.

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #2,248 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey just joined this site not to long ago, i was looking to buy my first Hi-fi / pro headphones (for ipod and other things (7.1 Onkyo receiver connected to PC) but i had a problem i didn't know whether to get the  ATH-M50S or the Shure SRH840. So i found this site and read Most of the topics about the 2. I am no expert i am coming from very bad apple ear buds so i have no idea what you guys mean by "Its not fun" "bass is muddy"  "neutral sound" "bass lacks warmth" etc. I listen to something called Vocaloid it's  Japanese rock ,pop ,metal etc.  So after about a week of reading this site i am going to go with the Shure SRH840 1 Main reason is because of the  Detachable Cord and (according to you guys) Clear sound and all that good stuff. I like Bass but i never owend a Pro head phone so i don't know how much is to much for me. I  want to where the 840s outside (don't care if people stair/look/make fun of you)  but it depends on how comfortable it is. To me the ATH-M50s looks like its just Hype ( remember i don't know what i am talking about i am just going off of Post / reviews i read)  but i would like some Final opinions on the matter again
i want Clear sound, no added effects to the sound,  Bass (Not To much bass but i want to hear it /feel it) Noise isolation, comfortable to where outside.

I can't help much with the M50, but they are definitely not a flash in the pan.  They have had many supporters for a long time, and it can't be coincidence.

The Shures are not a bad sounding headphone, but they are a bit bland.  It all has to do with speed (how quickly the headphone seems to respond) and frequency response (how loud they seem to be at various frequencies).  The Shures are designed primarily to be audio tools, not enjoyable listening devices, which means that they are fairly balanced, but don't to anything to make the sound punchy or dynamic.  They might not be the best headphones for on the go, either, as they are quite heavy.  That said, many people really do like them.  If you are looking into them, you may want to wait a month or two for the 940s to come out, as they might be a notable upgrade for not much more money.

If you're looking for clarity, punchy bass, and isolation, I would definitely recommend checking out the Ultrasone HFI-780.  They would be pretty awesome for the genres you listed.  If you have a huge head, you might not find them that comfortable, though.

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #2,249 of 29,490
Thanks for your input Armeagis, but after looking around, I fell in love with the brand Audio-Technica...
Which of these Audio-Technicas is the best?

-D40-fs (€75)
-WS50 (€55)
-M30 (€70)
-M35 (€65)
-910PRO (€80)
-SJ55 (€60)

Thanks in advance. :)

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #2,250 of 29,490
Welcome to the site! Both headphones are great choices, you can't go wrong with either. Buy both and then if you don't like it just return them or if you bought used from this site, then resell them. The only thing I would reconsider is wearing them outside. These headphones are rather large and cumbersome, but they would be comfortable.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back