++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 19, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #2,251 of 29,490
I heard the m30's sounded like the little brother's of the m50's. Try those out and tell us what you think.

Quote:
Thanks for your input Armeagis, but after looking around, I fell in love with the brand Audio-Technica...

Which of these Audio-Technicas is the best?

-D40-fs (€75)

-WS50 (€55)

-M30 (€70)

-M35 (€65)

-910PRO (€80)

-SJ55 (€60)

Thanks in advance. :)

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #2,252 of 29,490

[size=medium] I am not able to test one. [/size]
[size=medium] They are not sold in stores around here.[/size]
[size=medium] I have to buy one from the internet... :L [/size]
[size=medium] So, if I want one of those, the M30 is probably the best choice?[/size]

Quote:
I heard the m30's sounded like the little brother's of the m50's. Try those out and tell us what you think.

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #2,253 of 29,490
Thanks for the input, i don't really know what balanced and unbalanced sounds like lol i am coming from Apple ear buds ( Imo they are very bad they have a crackling sound to them, if that even makes sence) also can they be more "enjoyable"  if i use the ipods equalizer settings?
rite know i think anything i get will be better then the buds i have now haha also i will check out the 940 thanks.

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #2,255 of 29,490

You can't go wrong with them. I think headfonia reviewed them and said they had very similar sq to the m50's and a lot of people seem to enjoy them on this forum. I think I have the link somewhere if you can't find the review.
Quote:

[size=medium] I am not able to test one. [/size]
[size=medium] They are not sold in stores around here.[/size]
[size=medium] I have to buy one from the internet... :L [/size]
[size=medium] So, if I want one of those, the M30 is probably the best choice?[/size]

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #2,257 of 29,490
You are using apple earbuds?! Get rid of them now! Anyhow balanced vs unbalanced can mean two things. It could mean the headphones have a good balanced sound quality as in no specific sound overwhelms the spectrum, such as the hd600's. While if you were get something like the dt770's then the bass would be a little overwhelming.  The other meaning would be that the headphones are balanced meaning they used different type of connector and cable that only works with balanced amplifiers. The benefit of these headphones are no ground in the wire, reducing crosstalk and the end result, an overall better sound.

Quote:
Thanks for the input, i don't really know what balanced and unbalanced sounds like lol i am coming from Apple ear buds ( Imo they are very bad they have a crackling sound to them, if that even makes sence) also can they be more "enjoyable"  if i use the ipods equalizer settings?

rite know i think anything i get will be better then the buds i have now haha also i will check out the 940 thanks.

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #2,258 of 29,490
I do agree i need to remove the ear buds from my house now they started to hurt me and have a crackle sound to them . I guess you have convinced me further to get the 840s because a lot of people talk about how "Balanced" they are i don't think i am to picky when it  comes to that stuff (Look at me i been using apple ear buds forever haha) BUT i don't want any after noise / effect in the music  just want to here Hatsune Miku with no crackling/ distortion  (she has a Very high pitch Voice) Thanks agian.

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #2,260 of 29,490

Quote:

Balanced: giving an overall even emphasis to all the frequencies in the audible spectrum.  Generally, these sound closer to life and are what studios use and what many audiophiles seek.  For example, Shure SRH840 & Sennheiser HD600.

Unbalanced: emphasizing one or more frequency ranges at the relative expense of others.  These can have an effect of booming bass, or emphasized treble, giving the illusion of detail and space.  These might be preferred by people who want lots of bass for hip-hop, etc.  For example, Denon D2000/D5000/D7000 (emphasize bass and highs),  and most Grados (have lots of treble, quieter bass).  Often people go from preferring the latter to the former.  Quick test- is the eq on your home/car stereo flat?  (eq settings for ibuds might not be as telling, those are borken to begin with)

SRH940 do look very promising.  
smily_headphones1.gif
   imo SRH840 are also amazing for the price.  

Mar 19, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #2,262 of 29,490
Well, sorry to butt in on everybody, but..

Hey all,
I'm a newb when it comes to headphones. I use a program called Fruity Loops to compose music regularly. When I get so many instruments going at once, my laptop speakers crackle. I've used external speakers and they crackle as well. I've determinded that my sound card can't handle the amount of processing I'm asking it to do. I plan to upgrade my sound card to the Asus Xonar Essence STX
ir
card. It's high end and I'll need some equal quality headphones to go with it.

I don't want to spend more than $150 on the phones. I have my eye on the Sennheiser HD595
ir
but like I said, I'm a newb and could use advice. Although I do most of my work at home, I don't want to have to use an amp to get the full quality out of my phones. I believe that the higher the impedence, the better it is to have an amp, correct? These phones have an impedence of only 50 ohms. From the research I've done I don't think these would need an amp. Am I right?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't need noise canceling and I don't want a mic. Just some good quality headphones that will allow me to listen to trance, piano, rock, metal, electropop... everything, without hindrance.

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #2,263 of 29,490

Quote:
Well, sorry to butt in on everybody, but..

Hey all,
I'm a newb when it comes to headphones. I use a program called Fruity Loops to compose music regularly. When I get so many instruments going at once, my laptop speakers crackle. I've used external speakers and they crackle as well. I've determinded that my sound card can't handle the amount of processing I'm asking it to do. I plan to upgrade my sound card to the Asus Xonar Essence STX
ir
card. It's high end and I'll need some equal quality headphones to go with it.

I don't want to spend more than $150 on the phones. I have my eye on the Sennheiser HD595
ir
but like I said, I'm a newb and could use advice. Although I do most of my work at home, I don't want to have to use an amp to get the full quality out of my phones. I believe that the higher the impedence, the better it is to have an amp, correct? These phones have an impedence of only 50 ohms. From the research I've done I don't think these would need an amp. Am I right?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't need noise canceling and I don't want a mic. Just some good quality headphones that will allow me to listen to trance, piano, rock, metal, electropop... everything, without hindrance.

Instead of getting an expensive consumer sound card, why not drop the same amount of money into the M-Audio Delta and an entry-level amp.  You'll end up with better sound quality, and much better pro audio support.  Wait, though, you know you can't install a PCI card into a laptop, right?

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #2,264 of 29,490
I need some circumaural headphones and cant spend more than $30 dollars. I've seen the Skullcandy Hesh for $20: these may not be the best sounding but look good, are pretty portable, and have a built in mic and the chord is nice, even comes with a nice pouch. I've also seen the Sony MDR-XB300, which ive seen for $25, these look a little better sounding, but are big and idk about any features or build quality. I also saw the Audio Technica ATH-M20 for $25, these look pretty decent but have a really long (11ft) chord and idk how portable they are. I listen to all music from hard rock, to hip-hop, to heavy metal, to dubstep, to pop, and classical. Please tell me which are the best in terms of value, like best sound, features, comfort, included accessories, and overall value. If there are any other options for under $30 then please let me know
I greatly appreciate it

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #2,265 of 29,490

Quote:

Instead of getting an expensive consumer sound card, why not drop the same amount of money into the M-Audio Delta and an entry-level amp.  You'll end up with better sound quality, and much better pro audio support.  Wait, though, you know you can't install a PCI card into a laptop, right?

No, I didn't know that
frown.gif
 Are you saying that it's impossible to upgrade a sound card on a laptop? You're stuck with the one that the manufacturer installs??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back