++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 19, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #2,266 of 29,490

Quote:
Well, sorry to butt in on everybody, but..

Hey all,
I'm a newb when it comes to headphones. I use a program called Fruity Loops to compose music regularly. When I get so many instruments going at once, my laptop speakers crackle. I've used external speakers and they crackle as well. I've determinded that my sound card can't handle the amount of processing I'm asking it to do. I plan to upgrade my sound card to the Asus Xonar Essence STX
ir
card. It's high end and I'll need some equal quality headphones to go with it.

I don't want to spend more than $150 on the phones. I have my eye on the Sennheiser HD595
ir
but like I said, I'm a newb and could use advice. Although I do most of my work at home, I don't want to have to use an amp to get the full quality out of my phones. I believe that the higher the impedence, the better it is to have an amp, correct? These phones have an impedence of only 50 ohms. From the research I've done I don't think these would need an amp. Am I right?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't need noise canceling and I don't want a mic. Just some good quality headphones that will allow me to listen to trance, piano, rock, metal, electropop... everything, without hindrance.

You're going to want monitor headphones for producing music, a pair of Sony MDR-V150's are better than the 595's for producing. I thought ATH-M50's were studio but people say they're good for bass which confuses me as shouldn't the bass be normal if they're monitors?

Ignore me but what I'm saying is that your definitely going to want monitor headphones or speakers.

Mar 19, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #2,268 of 29,490
I am planning to get HD650, but I realized that I need good DAC and amp to push these

I am not that rich, so I cant spend thousands of dollar on every component.

I got my eyes on the HLLY DMK-IV, I know they are criticized for being a replica of LD and so, but if it does the job for $320, then I'll be happy to get it

Any suggestion on what I have to get to "push" HD 650? I have a budget around 350

Mar 19, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #2,269 of 29,490

Hey guys, I've purchased the Ultrasone PRO 2500's and have virtually no money left, but still would like a portable pair!

I found the Koss Porta Pro for just £17.99 on amazon...

Now, I know virtually nothing about these apart from that they're apparently very comfortable. Are they good in terms of sound quality?

I don't know what to expect because they are priced very low, but apparently sound good?

Is it worth £17.99 or should I just keep my Sennheiser CX400 II's for travel etc?

Mar 19, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #2,270 of 29,490
I have a $500 more or less budget.

I currently own the ATH-M50s and had them for awhile, so I believe it is time for a upgrade.

I don't own any DACs or headphone amps, but I am planning to build a home rig. I also do most of my music listening on my desktop computer.

I enjoy listening to:
Electro
House
Dubstep
Hip-Hop
K-Pop
R&B

Some of the headphones that interest me:
Ultrasone Pro 900
Denon 2000
Beyerdynamic DT880/990 600ohm
Any other headphone suggestions?

Would the FiiO E7/E9 be able to efficiently amp these headphones?
Headstage Arrow, Yulong U100, Matrix M Stage, Audinst HUD-MX1?
Any suggestions for other DACs or amps?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 19, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #2,271 of 29,490
I am currently looking to purchase a pair of headphones that I will use for mostly portable applications through my iPhone 4. 
I like to listen to a lot of Dubstep as well as Alternative and Soft Rock.  I would really prefer these to have a big booming base, seeing as Dubstep is basically all about the bass.
Currently I am looking at the Skullcandy Skullcrushers seeing as a lot of people have said good things about their in-line bass boost control. I am looking to probably spend about $100-200.
I know many people also suggest an amp such as the FiiO E5 or E7.
I am hoping you could confirm my selection or perhaps suggest a better one.

Mar 19, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #2,273 of 29,490
[size=11pt]All right so I”m looking for full size headphones and it while I suspect it’s may be impossible to meet all my criteria, perhaps you can help me find the lesser evil or at least something I can live with. [/size]

[size=11pt]The reason it may be impossible is I want something to use at work, so they need to be closed.  I’ve used Shure 530’s for the last couple years, and for my listening they’re perfect.  The reason for not getting 535s or customs and using the 530s for work is they’re a bit too good at sound isolation.  I need to at least be aware when someone walks up behind me to talk.  [/size]

[size=11pt]These two threads reinforce the case it may not be able to be done with closed cans: [/size]
[size=11pt]http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/363339/headphones-with-sound-sig-similar-to-se530[/size]
[size=11pt]http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497913/full-size-most-similar-to-se530[/size]

[size=11pt]The music is apple lossless, currently from iPod classic, (in a month iMod 240g) 90% is 19th century opera, the rest a mix of late romantic and 20th century symphonic, concertos (piano, violin, cello), bluegrass, acoustic and electric folk, and odds and ends.   You can see why I don't think neutral is not dirty word.[/size]

[size=11pt]Between the iPod and the 530s is an iQube v.1 with an ALO low rider dock.   [/size]

[size=11pt]The last week I’ve spent listening to the B&W P 5, and the Shure SHR840.   The problem with the 840’s is a complete lack of top.  It’s a matter of what I don’t hear.   Missing overtones, lack of detail, it’s like listening through a veil or wall OR to get really technical:  thick and fuzzy.  The P 5, has the highs, plenty of detail, but my issues with them are almost the opposite.  I find the bass maybe enhanced a bit, and rather than excessive fuzzy warmth, I hear an artificial brightness, or crispness.  I also fine the sound stage a bit smaller and a bit divided. [/size]

[size=11pt]The 840’s may get another couple days, but the constant, “Where the hell are the overtones/breath/bow attack, footsteps on the stage, etc.” that constantly pops in my head when using them is overwhelming distracting.  The P5s, I think I can get used to, if I have to.   For a price point, since they’re for work I don’t want, go crazy, so probably not too much more than $500 give or take.    [/size]

[size=11pt]What I’ve considered: Though I was initially excited about the impending arrival of the SRH 940, after the 840s I’m not sure I even want to try them.   HD650 keeps coming up as a possible, but they’re open, and I don’t think the people around me would appreciate it.   Remarks regarding the bass on the D2000/5000/LA2000 make me leery.    [/size]

[size=11pt]Any thoughts or recommendations?  [/size]

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #2,275 of 29,490

Quote:
I am planning to get HD650, but I realized that I need good DAC and amp to push these

I am not that rich, so I cant spend thousands of dollar on every component.

I got my eyes on the HLLY DMK-IV, I know they are criticized for being a replica of LD and so, but if it does the job for $320, then I'll be happy to get it

Any suggestion on what I have to get to "push" HD 650? I have a budget around 350

That puts you in the Audio-GD Fun price range. It has a very good neutral amp section with sufficient power to effortlessly handle dynamics, a transparent and resolving dac with a sound signature that can be tailored to your preferences (by swapping out hdams in its output stage), and is incredibly versatile with its input and preamp options.

Check out the Fun thread. There are many there that can vouch for the wonderful synergy these cans have with the Audio-GD gear.

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #2,276 of 29,490

Quote:
That puts you in the Audio-GD Fun price range. It has a very good neutral amp section with sufficient power to effortlessly handle dynamics, a transparent and resolving dac with a sound signature that can be tailored to your preferences (by swapping out hdams in its output stage), and is incredibly versatile with its input and preamp options.

Check out the Fun thread. There are many there that can vouch for the wonderful synergy these cans have with the Audio-GD gear.

greatly appreciated. I'll definitely check that out.
in fact, ima go now

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #2,277 of 29,490
Hey guys, im new here and i've decided to look into getting a decent set of cans for some immersive gaming with a tad of music once in a while. Ideally i'd like good bass but not too overpowering so I can still hear footsteps and help seek out enemies etc. However im not a competitive gamer so its more about having realistic sound ingame to help feel like you're actually there :)

I'm currently running onboard Realtek sound and was hoping to just get a set of cans, plug em in and away you go...i've since learnt that that won't suffice...so I am investing in a Xonar DG soundcard purely for using these headphones and since it has dolby headphone i understand this will help with positioning using any stereo headphones.

I've been recommended Sennheisers for what im wanting to use them for. Would you agree?

I'm in New Zealand and have trouble finding a lot of the gear you guys have on your side of the planet so heres a website I will be using to order from. Please if you could take a look and with your expertise recommend me a pair that you would choose and the reasons behind it :)
Note : I originally was going after the senn HD555's from this link - turns out I can't get them from any of the listed stores in my country anymore :frowning2:

My budget is $170NZD - however i may stretch to $200 if it'll be worth my while

http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?l=s67527748&o=produkt_pris_inkmoms&cols=

looking at senns only, from most expensive pairs within my budget  to cheapest i can find are :
HD518's - ive heard these are crap?
HD485
HD448
HD438
HD435
HD428

Thoughts? Suggestions?

If by some chance I could get the HD555's would they be the most preferred out of this list for a gamer wanting epic sound at an affordable price?

I've also been recommended the steelseries Siberia V2 from several people...yet others are saying hell no! dont buy gaming headsets as the likes of sennheiser will sound a thousand times better. True?

Thank you very much for your help! :) cheers.

edit: just found this website too. again i have a budget of $170 - what do you guys think?
http://www.ifocus.co.nz/index.php?cPath=96_64&sort=4a&filter_id=&special_sort=lowtohigh

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #2,278 of 29,490
Hey guys, I've been ghosting for a while but I haven't really found any threads running parallel to my specific queries in regards to the Audio Technica ATH-A700s. My price cap is $150. I will NOT be using a soundcard for the most part, mostly listening through my iPod while using a FiiO E5 amp. 

Here's a breakdown of what I'll be listening to:

Rap/Hip-Hop: 25%
Trance/House: 25%
Movie/Game OSTs: 25%*
Gaming: 25% 

I've never quite experienced audiophile headphones in-depth before, but I'm assuming that if I'm going to be listening to bass-centered music genres (basically contemporary music), then I'm going to preferably need closed cans such as the A700s? I've noticed that the overwhelming majority of the Head-Fi community listen to far more established and "pristine" genres such as classical, acoustic, etc. Subsequently, my needs are slightly different than many other members. 

I'm basically looking for, 

• Decent soundstage and isolation (the gaming part, nothing too competitive). 
  • Punchy bass that accentuates trance music.
  • Whatever would make an OST/VGM sound good. 

So am I making a good choice? 

Here's what else I considered: 

1. Sennheiser HD555 (I heard they had weak bass)
2. Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 
3. Sennheiser HD 280
4. Audio-Technica ATH-M50

*OST = Original Soundtrack (Yes, I listen to movie/VGM, problem?) 

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #2,279 of 29,490
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I've been reading up, but I hope that you all can help me pick out a decent pair of headphones as my first good pair.

Basically, I'm looking to spend up to $300 dollars on headphones. I will be using them for listening to rock / alternative (Radiohead, Muse, System of a Down, Incubus, etc.), and mainly from a laptop but also from an iPod device.

I've been looking at the AKG K701's but it seems I may need an amp for that pair. Are there any recommendations you can make for me?

My main priority is comfort and sound quality, but of course stylishness is a plus as well.

Thank you all very much :)

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #2,280 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I've been reading up, but I hope that you all can help me pick out a decent pair of headphones as my first good pair.

Basically, I'm looking to spend up to $300 dollars on headphones. I will be using them for listening to rock / alternative (Radiohead, Muse, System of a Down, Incubus, etc.), and mainly from a laptop but also from an iPod device.

I've been looking at the AKG K701's but it seems I may need an amp for that pair. Are there any recommendations you can make for me?

My main priority is comfort and sound quality, but of course stylishness is a plus as well.

Thank you all very much :)

The Audio Technica Ad900s sound great with alt rock and are easy to power. You'll get recommendations for Grado sr225i, but I found them to be very dull in comparison to my Ad900s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back