++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 24, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #1,741 of 29,490

Quote:
The vast majority of headphones, especially circumaural ones, don't have in-line microphones. Have you considered buying a separate in-line mic accessory and using it with said headphones? If you did that, it would greatly expand your choices.

Thanks for the response 1234512, If I add a Mic phone adapter, it will just add up to the lengthy cable that those headphones already have. Unless you can suggest for a good mic accessory that will not make the cables REALLY long. I'm really eye-ing for ATH-M50 or the HFI-580, are they perfect for my type of music? (Rap/Hiphop/Rock/Metal...and more metal \m/)

My budget is $100 - $250.

TIA!

Quote:

Look at Klipsch Image One.  They might be supra-aural though...

Hi R-audiohead, i've checked out Klipsch Image One, but it isn't portable, I am mostly mobile and goin from one place to another, so portability is really a big thing for me as well. Any other inputs?

Thanks!

Feb 24, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #1,742 of 29,490
Hey Guys! 

So I'm looking for a pair of IEMs that I can bring to and from school, preferably something sturdy enough that I can throw into my bag wrapped around my iPod Touch (3rd Gen) without being afraid that they will break. My budget is around 200 USD.

My source will be from my iPod Touch 3rd Gen most of the time, however I may use a line out to an iBasso D4 at times. 

The sound signature I'm after is one with clear highs and mids, with strong, tight bass. I normally prefer a warmer sound signature. Most of my music is in AIFF lossless format, however I do have tracks that go down to 192kbps so it would be nice if the IEMs were a bit forgiving, and if possible without forgoing too much detail (although I am aware I won't be getting much out of my headphone out on my iPod Touch). 

It would be very useful if these IEMs were easy to insert and take out as I may need to remove them quite often during class. 

If it helps, some other gear I have includes: UE Super.fi 5 Pros, Sennheiser CX500s, Grado 325is, Sennheiser PXC450, and Sony XB500s.

Any help or suggestions as to what I could take a look into would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance! :D

P.S. my wallet doesn't like me very much anymore... :O

Feb 24, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #1,743 of 29,490

Hi R-audiohead, i've checked out Klipsch Image One, but it isn't portable, I am mostly mobile and goin from one place to another, so portability is really a big thing for me as well. Any other inputs?

Thanks!

I guess "portable" is a somewhat subjective term.  Are you looking for collapsible headphones?  For some reason I thought I saw a Sennheiser built just like my PX 360 with a mobile mike function, but I don't know....  Might be worth browsing Senn's site.

Feb 24, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #1,744 of 29,490
Current headphones - Sony MDR-CD380

These are open in the back, closed in the front.  I really like the sound these produce however, I'm wanting some better sound isolation for working in my home office.

Idealy, I'd like to spend ~$100 and get:

- Fabric covered ear pads
- Closed back for sound isolation - sound leakage out, is fine - want them to quiet incoming background noise
- large cans as these will be used at a desk 99% of the time is all good
- large head friendly
- good lows
- cable not an issue - will replace if needed

Primary use for listening to MP3s and gaming.

I note that many of the closed headphones use the vinyl covered pads - do these help with sound isolation?

Candidates I can see so far:

Audio Technica Pro Studio Monitor $129
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000P62ND6/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_closed17es

Sennheiser HD448 Closed Circumaural Hi-Fi Headphone - $99
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD448-Closed-Circumaural-Headphone/dp/B002DGTGO0/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_closed17es

These have the vinyl pads but it sounds like there are fabric replacemnents out there?
Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones - $97
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_hd_280

Appreciate any input.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #1,745 of 29,490
what are headphones as good / better sound than these http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297451335&sr=8-1 (portapro)that is the same size or smaller (not in ear, fit in pocket), that does not leak sound and isolate sound better? (under $100)

Are any of these good for the price? Also which is the best of these for rock or pop music?
Sennheiser PX200ii, Ultrasone Zino, Nuforce UF-30, any of the mini AKG K4xx line. Your best isolation will probably be from the Senn and AKGs. The Senn has a nice balanced sound. the AKGs are probably the most rugged.

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #1,746 of 29,490

Quote:
I guess "portable" is a somewhat subjective term.  Are you looking for collapsible headphones?  For some reason I thought I saw a Sennheiser built just like my PX 360 with a mobile mike function, but I don't know....  Might be worth browsing Senn's site.

@R-Audiohead
Yes, collapsible is what I meant. Since you've mentioned Senns, Is the MM550 good for my choice of music? Anyone?

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #1,747 of 29,490
                                                                  {[Get the ath-m50's]}
The senn (448) are really uncomfortable (tried them at best buy)
I got my m50's 3 days ago
-they are large head friendly
-Sound amazing
-Very very comfortable
-The cable is not a problem (i got coiled)
-They look very good
Ive heard that the senn 280 are awful in comparison to the Ath-M50's

get them, they are amazing

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #1,748 of 29,490
yoyoyo i need some help guys. im looking for a pair of over the ear headphones that i will use pretty much every day on my laptop/ipod. im no audiophile but i still want good quality headphones. my budget is 125$. im only really going to be using the phones to listen to music. i mostly listen to electronic dance music (electro/house not really trance) also hip hop and rock like RHCP blink 182. that being said i want some headphones with decent bass. also they have to be closed, i want minimal leak. right now my options are

[size=1.7em] Shure SRH440[/size]

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica ATH-M50[/size]

are these good for my needs? please give me your thoughts and and recommendations of other headphones.

also, is the fiio L3 for the ipod worth the 15 bucks? thanks in advanced!
o2smile.gif

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #1,750 of 29,490

Quote:
yoyoyo i need some help guys. im looking for a pair of over the ear headphones that i will use pretty much every day on my laptop/ipod. im no audiophile but i still want good quality headphones. my budget is 125$. im only really going to be using the phones to listen to music. i mostly listen to electronic dance music (electro/house not really trance) also hip hop and rock like RHCP blink 182. that being said i want some headphones with decent bass. also they have to be closed, i want minimal leak. right now my options are

are these good for my needs? please give me your thoughts and and recommendations of other headphones.

o2smile.gif

With your budget, you could go a step up with a used set of SRH840 - there's at least 1 now in the fs forum within your budget.  And a set of M50 for $100.  I love the SRH840 but haven't heard the M50 so can't advise you- do a search for one the many threads that compares them (and don't listen to anybody who hasn't heard both).

Feb 25, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #1,751 of 29,490

Quote:

o2smile.gif

Look at the xb series from sony also if you like bass the ath may not be as bass heavy as you would like it to be.

Feb 25, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #1,752 of 29,490

Quote:
Just wondering why you use AIFF over ALAC for playing on your iPod?

Quote:

o2smile.gif

Also look at the shure dj 750's

Feb 25, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #1,753 of 29,490
So, I write to you guys as a some what new guy to the scene. I have a NuForce Icon Mobile which I carry around with my G2 (htc Desire Z) which runs power amp and my sennheiser hd202's with me. I like my mobile set up. I want to really up my home audio, I had a pair of AKG K270s headphones which I ran through my Icon Mobile as a DAC, I bought the AKG's used and they lasted about a month before they died, and In an attempt to figure out what was up with them I found out that the metal part of the headband was totally thrashed and had been hot glued in place on both ear cups . I want to replace these headphones with something similar, maybe even better. I am also wondering if I should upgrade my DAC? Also is the used gear on this site usually in good condition, IE better than random guys on craigslist?

Also  A little about my Listening habits. I like metal, I listen to a whole lot of Rush as well. I am also a fan of big beat and electroclash. I would say that half of my listening is metal a quarter is just the band rush and the rest is mostly some sort of electro music. I am not really looking for deep bass if it compromises the highs. The headphones that I have used are my HD 202's which are great for chucking in my rucksack, but don't deliver the sound I want. I have also spent a lot of time using sony v6's which I use exclusively for editing in final cut. The k270s I had where fine headphones and comfortable for my small head (I wear a 6 7/8 hat size) . I feel as if I did not spend enough time using them, but overall they where much better than my HD 202's in bass and in highs. Also, I don't want to spend more than $100, but I am open to the idea of spending more, just means I will have to wait for that tax return check!

TL;DR

I am a bit of a newb, I want some $100 headphones that will be good for Metal and Elctroclash as well. I've used AKG k270s and liked them fine, I just wish they had better highs and lows. I also have a small head and comfort is an issue. Also Should I get a new DAC? I use a NuForce Icon Mobile as my primary DAC.

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #1,754 of 29,490
Not wanting to start a new thread I've got a quick question concerning the Senheiser HD 555 and the HD 515. 

I've been looking at these two cans for my brother as a gift but I'm thinking that that the 515 fits his listening habits better since he mostly will use them to watch movies, clips online and listening to music on his ipod (That mostly has 320 kbs files or VBR and some on lower bit rates, with music that is mostly rock, grunge, alt/indie) 

And since the audio quality of the movies (mostly streamd) might not be so good and I'm concerned that if I get the HD 555 the lack of quality in the files will be more apparent and sound more grainy that compared to the HD 515, but I dont know this of course and that's why I'm asking.  

So would you recommend getting the HD 515 instead or does this problem still apply? 

My budget is around 50-90$ if you feel there are better headphones to get.

Thanks in advance. 

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #1,755 of 29,490
budget shrank some stuff came up -__- so the 840s are out of the question as are the ath m50 (plus the 32839402834 ft cord was a deal breaker). the sonys look silly/excessive to me.

so its down to the shure srh440s and now the 

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

[size=1.7em] Ultrasone HFI-450[/size]

again these are my first real headphones so anything will be a real step up. im weighing my options and will order either one of them (new) tonight. once i burn em in ill let you guys know what i think. thanks for your help btw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back