++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 26, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #1,756 of 29,490
cant spend that much money anymore -___- so the 840s are outta the question plus i want them new with warranty and stuff. ath 50s are also outta the question ( the 1034823 ft cord was a real deal breaker). the sonys look silly/excessive for my needs. 

right now its between the shure srh440 and ultrasone hf1 540 ( came across them today)

im gonna choose one of the two tonight. remember these are my first real headphones been using apple ones for as long as i can remember. so im sure either one of the two will be good for me. thanks for the help and as soon as i burn in my phones ill let you know what i think! 
dt880smile.png

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #1,757 of 29,490

Hey, I could use some help here. Low budget dude here :p

Budget - USD30 or more

Type - Closed ear

Usage - Watching movies, skype, gaming, music. Long usage hours

I did my own research and i found these.

Plantronics GameCom 367 Closed-Ear Gaming Headset

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E45XT4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=1V9W8EV5QMGYGSNR2NMA&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846

Sennheiser HD201 Lightweight Over-Ear Binaural Headphones

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD201-Lightweight-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0007XJSQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298711210&sr=8-1

JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OWPV4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1NAG2SC6PK4AP3SD4XVP&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
ir

out of all those only the first one has a mic  which means I need to buy the microphone separately.

i also found this one, for that price its quite tempting. 

Sennheiser Hd215 Hd-215

http://www.dakmart.com/Audio-Home-Audio-Headphones/c4_9_28/p9812/Sennheiser-Hd215-Hd-215-Stereo-Headphones-bstock-w-Warranty/product_info.html

Is it alright to buy a refurbished one from that company? I think the original price is around 90 dollars. I can get it for 38 dollars there.

Hope someone could clear this mess in my head for me :D

Cheers and thanks.

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #1,759 of 29,490
well i had originally joined here looking for a pair or 2 of IEM. Though i still want a good set of IEM I started thinking do I really want to spend that kind of money on something i will take out in public? no not really. So ive dropped the thought of IEM for a while and now am trying to decide between the Grado SR125i or the Sennheiser PX360 both are at the very max of my current spending limit. I know people have used or reviewed the Grados but has anyone used the PX360's yet? Im trying to decide on what ones to go with. I have to decide based on reviews as well because there is no store around here that carries both sets or either for that matter that will willy nilly let people try them out.

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #1,760 of 29,490

http://www.dakmart.com/Audio-Home-Audio-Headphones/c4_9_28/p9812/Sennheiser-Hd215-Hd-215-Stereo-Headphones-bstock-w-Warranty/product_info.html

Is it alright to buy a refurbished one from that company? I think the original price is around 90 dollars. I can get it for 38 dollars there.

hey man thats a great link for the sennheiser totally gonna get me a pair of more portable headphones from there. as for advice (not an expert AT ALL), although theyre refurbished they come with a warranty. so i say as long as theyre the best option for you, go for it. if the jvc is better get those. 

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #1,761 of 29,490

Quote:

Hey, I could use some help here. Low budget dude here :p

Budget - USD30 or more

Type - Closed ear

Usage - Watching movies, skype, gaming, music. Long usage hours

I did my own research and i found these.

Plantronics GameCom 367 Closed-Ear Gaming Headset

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E45XT4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=1V9W8EV5QMGYGSNR2NMA&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846

Sennheiser HD201 Lightweight Over-Ear Binaural Headphones

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD201-Lightweight-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0007XJSQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298711210&sr=8-1

JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OWPV4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1NAG2SC6PK4AP3SD4XVP&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
ir

out of all those only the first one has a mic  which means I need to buy the microphone separately.

Sennheiser Hd215 Hd-215

Hope someone could clear this mess in my head for me :D

Cheers and thanks.

Quote:
You posted the same link 3 times moleman4eva, regardless the JVC RX 700 is a terrific balanced headphone for the price.

Ah, my bad. Updated my first post.

Feb 26, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #1,763 of 29,490
Hey guys, nice site.  New to high-end audio via headphones, but have a nice home system.  My requirements are pretty odd I'm guessing, but here goes.

I'm in Afghanistan and need a set of headphones, obviously.  This will be for Mp3/FLAC audio (mostly rock) and movies.  Source will be laptop and an Ipod.  So here is the criteria in order of importance.

-100 dollars max is price point, can afford better but don't want to cry if they get stolen
-Excellent warranty, stuff breaks easily and these will get tossed around in my bag
-Durable, so I don't need warranty
-Good sound isolation, I'm on an airfield
-Moderate size, say slightly smaller than the Dr. Dre Beats garbage
-Not over the ear, but minimal sound leakage if possible
-Earcup material that can handle a lot of sweat
-Collapsable
-Prefer no eq, surround sound maybe but never tried a set
-No microphone
-Decent looking, billet accents or whatever is fine, but nothing over the top
-Case would be nice

Ideally would like a few common models to research on the site.  Especially ones that go on sale a lot.  A quick search netted these
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-DJ1-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000GU77SC

A little pricey but gives you an idea of what I'm looking for.  

Feb 26, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #1,764 of 29,490

Quote:If you want the Sennheisers around 50-90$ here's the 555
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD555-Professional-Headphones-Channeling/dp/B0001FTVDQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298726028&sr=8-1Originally Posted by TonyHarding /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not wanting to start a new thread I've got a quick question concerning the Senheiser HD 555 and the HD 515. 

I've been looking at these two cans for my brother as a gift but I'm thinking that that the 515 fits his listening habits better since he mostly will use them to watch movies, clips online and listening to music on his ipod (That mostly has 320 kbs files or VBR and some on lower bit rates, with music that is mostly rock, grunge, alt/indie) 

And since the audio quality of the movies (mostly streamd) might not be so good and I'm concerned that if I get the HD 555 the lack of quality in the files will be more apparent and sound more grainy that compared to the HD 515, but I dont know this of course and that's why I'm asking.  

So would you recommend getting the HD 515 instead or does this problem still apply? 

My budget is around 50-90$ if you feel there are better headphones to get.

Thanks in advance. 

Feb 26, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #1,765 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys, nice site.  New to high-end audio via headphones, but have a nice home system.  My requirements are pretty odd I'm guessing, but here goes.

I'm in Afghanistan and need a set of headphones, obviously.  This will be for Mp3/FLAC audio (mostly rock) and movies.  Source will be laptop and an Ipod.  So here is the criteria in order of importance.

-100 dollars max is price point, can afford better but don't want to cry if they get stolen
-Excellent warranty, stuff breaks easily and these will get tossed around in my bag
-Durable, so I don't need warranty
-Good sound isolation, I'm on an airfield
-Moderate size, say slightly smaller than the Dr. Dre Beats garbage
-Not over the ear, but minimal sound leakage if possible
-Earcup material that can handle a lot of sweat
-Collapsable
-Prefer no eq, surround sound maybe but never tried a set
-No microphone
-Decent looking, billet accents or whatever is fine, but nothing over the top
-Case would be nice

Ideally would like a few common models to research on the site.  Especially ones that go on sale a lot.  A quick search netted these
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-DJ1-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000GU77SC

A little pricey but gives you an idea of what I'm looking for.  

I see a Sennheiser HD25 in your future.  They fit all your criteria, except for good looks (not bad for a helicopter pilot aesthetic) and maybe price if you can't find them used.  They're unbreakable, isolate extremely well and have the favorite sound of all the headphones in this uber-review:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-69-portable-headphones-reviewed-bowers-wilkins-p5-sony-xb700-added-02-21#post_5828504

The second favorite is cheaper and pops up a lot in the fs forum, but doesn't isolate as well.  If you want to keep in your budget, I'd put a 'wanted' ad for the hd25 in the fs forum.

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #1,766 of 29,490
Budget: $450 absolute max prefer less

Already thinking about HE-4. I had Grado [SR-225i and HF-1] and liked them but I'm really disappointed with how their quality scales with price. So I don't think I'll be looking at 325is or RS2i. I briefly used some Stax [SR-5+SRD-6, and I still have the energizer] which I liked, which makes me consider the HE-4. Seems like a really nice phone for the price. I really like the reports of wide soundstage, deep, authoritative bass, and great midrange (midrange is really important to me, probably why I liked Grado). Also being considered is the Fischer FA-002W. 

Music: I listen to a lot of jam band stuff so i like prominent, musical bass. The Grados really did that for me, and provided the PRAT I like. Guitars have to sound awesome, ditto drums. I also like to get lost in trance/psy-trance like Shpongle, BT, Hallucinogen, Ott, and Infected Mushroom. So detail and soundstage are very important. 

Equipment: I run a Peachtree Decco. I'm sure the FA-002W could run out of the 1/4" tap, but IDK about the HE-4. However, Fang says they are releasing an impedance adapter for speaker outputs, so I could use that in the future. my speaker outs would be more than capable of driving the HE-4.

So really the HE-4 and the FA-002W are the only 2 phones that have come to my attention that fit my wants. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #1,767 of 29,490

At the 100 dollar price point (brand new, can probably find used for 80) The HD 448 is one to consider as well.  It is a personal fav. of mine, and I prefer it over a lot of 150 dollar models I have tried/owned.  You can click the link in my sig for my review.  While it does utilize an amp quite well, it will still drive just fine without one, and if you're running it out of a newer PC soundcard the voltage may match the impedance better than right out of a portable DAP.

The HD 448 had more bass than the HD 595, for perspective.
Quote:
Not wanting to start a new thread I've got a quick question concerning the Senheiser HD 555 and the HD 515. 

I've been looking at these two cans for my brother as a gift but I'm thinking that that the 515 fits his listening habits better since he mostly will use them to watch movies, clips online and listening to music on his ipod (That mostly has 320 kbs files or VBR and some on lower bit rates, with music that is mostly rock, grunge, alt/indie) 

And since the audio quality of the movies (mostly streamd) might not be so good and I'm concerned that if I get the HD 555 the lack of quality in the files will be more apparent and sound more grainy that compared to the HD 515, but I dont know this of course and that's why I'm asking.  

So would you recommend getting the HD 515 instead or does this problem still apply? 

My budget is around 50-90$ if you feel there are better headphones to get.

Thanks in advance. 

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #1,768 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking for cheap headphones, up to $30.
(I'm from South America, adding the cost of shipping not want to spend more than $ 50)

I would like to have good quality, especially bass.
I don't want in-ear 

Thank you very much!

Feb 26, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #1,769 of 29,490
Hi. I've here asked before... but no one answered! Let's try again!

I'm changing what headphones I'm interested in buying again.
My budget is still around $200-250

This will be at home... and soon at the dorm. I have a pair of HD 280 connected to my computer via uDAC, and a pair of PFE connected to my Cowon S9. I prefer the PFEs.

I listen to mostly trance, but also some house, rock, classical, jazz, jpop, kpop, and soundtracks as well. My tastes are pretty varied.
I play video games, but that's not an issue here - I'll just use my 280s when I want to play games.

I'm basically looking for a headphone that will let me have fun with my music, and chill to it when I want to. I was taking a look at Audio Technica's A900 and AD900, but I'm not sure if they're right for me or if they're the ones I want.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #1,770 of 29,490
Senn HD202, but it's not for for bass-head, although the bass is rather good. Senn HD205 f you want more bass
Superlux HD669 if you can get them. Less bass but more spacious and less bright: Superlux HD668B. More fun with slightly stronger bass than HD668B but less than HD669: HD662 series.
Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for cheap headphones, up to $30.
(I'm from South America, adding the cost of shipping not want to spend more than $ 50)

I would like to have good quality, especially bass.
I don't want in-ear 

Thank you very much!

Uh, I practically didn't have experience with this price bracket, so can't help you there. Maybe Beyerdynamic DT880? Try searching for them. Sorry can't help you. Btw, AKG AD series is kinda thin in bass but they has terrific soundstage and positioning. And very comfortable. And very big. Great for gaming.
Quote:
Hi. I've here asked before... but no one answered! Let's try again!

I'm changing what headphones I'm interested in buying again.
My budget is still around $200-250

This will be at home... and soon at the dorm. I have a pair of HD 280 connected to my computer via uDAC, and a pair of PFE connected to my Cowon S9. I prefer the PFEs.

I listen to mostly trance, but also some house, rock, classical, jazz, jpop, kpop, and soundtracks as well. My tastes are pretty varied.
I play video games, but that's not an issue here - I'll just use my 280s when I want to play games.

I'm basically looking for a headphone that will let me have fun with my music, and chill to it when I want to. I was taking a look at Audio Technica's A900 and AD900, but I'm not sure if they're right for me or if they're the ones I want.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back