++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 23, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #1,726 of 29,490

Quote:

I have looked at dt990pro and will probably get them if I can't find any other, just worried that my laptop wont have enough volume since they are 250ohm..
Not sure about sennheiser, I had hd555 before my dt770pro and they were horrible for watching movies - no bass at all. Definitively want comfortable headphones since i use them at least 5 hours/day.

Your laptop should be able to produce decent listening levels. If you really want more power and don't want to spend much, a simple usb sound card like the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II (phew that's a mouthful) is a great value at $30 and puts out a LOT of volume. It also acts as a usb-->optical converter.

Quote:
Hello,

I'm looking for closed, comfortable, home-use (longer cable) headphones. As I have HD 25-1 for commuting and such I pretty much know I would not appreciate expensive headphones SQ-wise.

I'd be OK with HD 438 but they might be too small for me. My ears are ca 7x4 cm and I want to be able to wear the headphones for hours without any pain.

So any ideas about similar headphones (around 80USD, closed...) which have their internal size let's say at least 8x5 cm?

Thank you :).

How about just getting an extension cable for the HD25?

Quote:
well i kind of wish i had found this thread before starting one in the IEM section. sorry about that.

But anyways. 

i have up to $150 spending money. can be used on one good set of ear buds or over ear sets. I would prefer ear buds but i am currently interested in the PX360's as well. OR the $150 can be used on a set of headphones and an amp if needed. and if price allows.

Music choice is mainly rock/metal. stuff like that. 

bent jack is preferred but not totally needed. I'm just tired of having shorts because the cord gets unnaturally bent.

Current and only source is a 4th gen. iTouch. Is there anything I can/should do to it to make it a bit better in SQ. i have the EQU app but have not really played with it alot yet.

Give a look at the ultrasones in your price range.

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #1,727 of 29,490
Ok after reading the forums sometimes I just signed up to let you guys help me with my dilemma.

At the moment i own a Alessandro MS1i which is great but I am looking for a second set which has more soundstage and isn't that 'attacking'

After some reading and searching I am looking at the Creative Aurvana Live! at $73 (recalculated from euro's, i'm Dutch) or a bit more expensive the ATH-M50 at $119
Am I missing out some other headphones which really deserve to be looked at?

I mostly listen to music (allround, all types of music, I will keep the MS1i's) on my computer, so the headphone will be powered by a Creative X-Fi. Because of that I'm also wondering if it's better to buy a USB DAC or will the difference be minimal.

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #1,729 of 29,490

Quote:
Ok after reading the forums sometimes I just signed up to let you guys help me with my dilemma.

At the moment i own a Alessandro MS1i which is great but I am looking for a second set which has more soundstage and isn't that 'attacking'

After some reading and searching I am looking at the Creative Aurvana Live! at $73 (recalculated from euro's, i'm Dutch) or a bit more expensive the ATH-M50 at $119
Am I missing out some other headphones which really deserve to be looked at?

I mostly listen to music (allround, all types of music, I will keep the MS1i's) on my computer, so the headphone will be powered by a Creative X-Fi. Because of that I'm also wondering if it's better to buy a USB DAC or will the difference be minimal.

I feel the CAL! is a better rounded performer and has a better soundstage than the M50. You won't need a DAC; save your money and run away from this awful place!

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #1,730 of 29,490

Quote:
How about just getting an extension cable for the HD25?

HD 25 are small, high preassure HPs, I can hardly wear them for 4 hours without any pain. I'm looking for something bigger than my ears (even on the inner side (at least 8x5cm) so that I can wear them at home without any pain. When I said similar headphones I meant in the same league as HD438.

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #1,731 of 29,490

Quote:
MOTHER OF GOD! ultrasones are SO sexy. I will for sure be looking into those.

Glad to be of service
biggrin.gif

Quote:
HD 25 are small, high preassure HPs, I can hardly wear them for 4 hours without any pain. I'm looking for something bigger than my ears (even on the inner side (at least 8x5cm) so that I can wear them at home without any pain. When I said similar headphones I meant in the same league as HD438.

If you don't mind supraaural, the Senn HD228 are super comfortable. That have a soft flat pad which sits very gently on the ear and doesn't clamp like the HD25. A friend of mine has them and wears them for 5-6 hours at a time.

The HD438 are pretty good in your budget. I used to have one but sold it in my ever continuing quest for new and shiny gear. Maybe look for a used M-Audio Q40. Unfortunately, most of my experience with large circumaurals is a bit above your budget. The Shure 840/750 are quite large, as are the Beyer 770/880/990 but the latter are triple your budget. At about double your budget is the Phiaton PS 500 which is the most comfortable full sized I have owned.

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #1,732 of 29,490
Hello,

So I'm looking for a pair of headphones, preferably closed, that have really good clarity, detail, and sounstage. I really liked the detail and clarity of the HD428, but the bass was way too muddy. I then tried the Koss DJ100 which IMO doesn't have as good seperation of instruments as the HD428, which I miss. I was wondering if there is any headphones that has what I want for under $180. I hated the laidback sound of the M30s

I listen to all types of music, I would like clarity, detail, and soundstage with a little bass (but I have a E5 which can help with that). The budget is up to $180.

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #1,733 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello,

So I'm looking for a pair of headphones, preferably closed, that have really good clarity, detail, and sounstage. I really liked the detail and clarity of the HD428, but the bass was way too muddy. I then tried the Koss DJ100 which IMO doesn't have as good seperation of instruments as the HD428, which I miss. I was wondering if there is any headphones that has what I want for under $180. I hated the laidback sound of the M30s

I listen to all types of music, I would like clarity, detail, and soundstage with a little bass (but I have a E5 which can help with that). The budget is up to $180.

If you could stretch to $250 or so the AD900s are incredible for all you've listed. It is a little low on the bass side, but you can use bass boost if you really like. It's clarity, detail and soundstage are second to none I've heard at that price range (besides AD700 soundstage which can be too large for music IMO).

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #1,734 of 29,490
Hi I'm looking to purchase a new pair of headphones/earbuds in the near future and I wanted to see what suggestions you guys have for me. I'm new here so sorry about the other thread I posted earlier today, I didn't see this thread.

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser CX 300 earbuds (they sound all right; the bass is pretty prevalent but sometimes the high and some mid sounds hurt my ears when I listen to my music even when the volume is fairly low) which replaced my original V-Moda Vibe earbuds (nice bass but highs and mids were muddy).

My parents recently purchased me a pair of Skullcandy Hesh headphones which sound all right as well (the bass seems to be more defined with these than the CX 300's and the sound stage seems to be more open, I'm not sure how to word it). Although these sound okay, they're big and bulky since they don't fold or lie flat, making them rather cumbersome to carry around.

I have a budget of less than $300 at the moment so I was looking for a pair of headphones or earbuds that have a nice bass, accurate sound, and also look fairly stylish. I would prefer headphones that fold or lay flat since I'm a college student and when I don't need them around my head I would like to store them in my backpack safely.

The types of music I like to listen to are quite unique, I like Chinese-pop, Korean-pop, Japanese-rock, American pop, and some techno. I will primarily be using the headphones/earbuds at school, on the bus/carpool, and at home using either my iPod Touch or Macbook.

I've looked through some of Head-Fi's forum posts and I think I've narrowed it down to a few headphones:

(Not in any particular order)
  1. Studio Beats by Dre-White (they have the nice bass sound but people say the overall sound quality is pretty muddy; I haven't had much time with these at the Apple store so I can't say for sure)
  2. Audio Technica ATH-M50 (highly respected in the Head-Fi community as it seems with decent bass and accurate sound quality)
  3. Ultrasone HFI-580 (also another respected heaphone in this community, I was thinking of purchasing these but my friends think the M50's look cooler >_<')
  4. Phiaton MS-400 (I've read that these are pretty good for the amount of bass they output)
  5. Monster Turbine Pro Copper (I haven't looked into these much but I've heard they're actually pretty decent)

In these forums I've read mixed opinions for the bass level of the M50's and the 580's. On one review it said that the M50's had better bass, but on a newer thread one review said that the 580's were pretty close to the Studio Beats.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you guys can provide! :)

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #1,735 of 29,490
Hi guys,

Long time lurker here and I've finally decided to make my first account as I will be heading into the hi-fi scene soon. As of right now, I currently an Ipod touch and Sansa Clip+ that is rockbox'd for strictly FLAC usage with my Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10. I personally find these headphones to be a little unbalanced and cold but I do love how analytical they are. I do not like the fact that they are very bright and lack some mid range. Bass is very tight and sounds very clean but isn't deep and hard hitting enough. I listen to all types of music ranging from rap/hiphop such as Kanye West to Jay Z, electronic/trance music such as Armin Van Buuren to Deadmau5, r&b such as John Legend and Alicia Keys, alternative such as Incubus and Gorillaz, to oldies such as The Beatles, and my new favorite genre, Jazz such as Diana Krall (Live in Paris is a MUST hear). 

I've decided to move towards bigger, full size headphones for my desktop and currently have the e7+e9 combo being shipped to me in the near day. These headphones would strictly be used on my desk so portability is not an issue. 

I have been reading a lot of pages and I have used the search function and have read many, many different post in regards to different types of full headphones. With a budget of around ~250-350, I feel as if I am open to a couple of good options. Here is the list I've come up with so far in the order I feel as if I am leaning towards. 

1. Beyerdynamic DT880/600ohm 
2. Senn 600/650
3. Ultrasone 900 pro
4. AKG 701

As of right now, I am leaning towards the DT880/600 but I am afraid of the recessed mids and the brightness that comes with them but like the fact that they seem relatively balanced (as opposed to the DT990's, for example). Senn 600 is really pushing my budget, and the 650's are even pushing it further. Ultrasone 900 was just thrown in there as I've read a couple of threads about them and their amazing bass. While I do like bass (who doesn't?) I would rather have a more balanced headphone (I think?) AKG 701 as the last option as everybody seems to love them. 

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #1,736 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,

Long time lurker here and I've finally decided to make my first account as I will be heading into the hi-fi scene soon. As of right now, I currently an Ipod touch and Sansa Clip+ that is rockbox'd for strictly FLAC usage with my Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10. I personally find these headphones to be a little unbalanced and cold but I do love how analytical they are. I do not like the fact that they are very bright and lack some mid range. Bass is very tight and sounds very clean but isn't deep and hard hitting enough. I listen to all types of music ranging from rap/hiphop such as Kanye West to Jay Z, electronic/trance music such as Armin Van Buuren to Deadmau5, r&b such as John Legend and Alicia Keys, alternative such as Incubus and Gorillaz, to oldies such as The Beatles, and my new favorite genre, Jazz such as Diana Krall (Live in Paris is a MUST hear). 

I've decided to move towards bigger, full size headphones for my desktop and currently have the e7+e9 combo being shipped to me in the near day. These headphones would strictly be used on my desk so portability is not an issue. 

I have been reading a lot of pages and I have used the search function and have read many, many different post in regards to different types of full headphones. With a budget of around ~250-350, I feel as if I am open to a couple of good options. Here is the list I've come up with so far in the order I feel as if I am leaning towards. 

1. Beyerdynamic DT880/600ohm 
2. Senn 600/650
3. Ultrasone 900 pro
4. AKG 701

As of right now, I am leaning towards the DT880/600 but I am afraid of the recessed mids and the brightness that comes with them but like the fact that they seem relatively balanced (as opposed to the DT990's, for example). Senn 600 is really pushing my budget, and the 650's are even pushing it further. Ultrasone 900 was just thrown in there as I've read a couple of threads about them and their amazing bass. While I do like bass (who doesn't?) I would rather have a more balanced headphone (I think?) AKG 701 as the last option as everybody seems to love them. 

Any thoughts? Thanks!

The mids on the 880s aren't really recessed (at least to my ears) but they seem cold and clinical to me.  The Senns have a warmer and more natural midrange.

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #1,739 of 29,490
Quote:

So which would you recommend? 

The DT880s and HD600/650s are all good headphones.  It just depends on your tastes.  I like the mids on Senns better myself.  The 880 are little bright which I also dislike, but many others like them for the same reason.  The HD650s are a little dark, and the HD600s are the most neutral of the 3.

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #1,740 of 29,490
Thanks in advance to any replies.. Newbie here, I've been lurking around and decided to finally ask my first ? after trying to obtain knowledge by reading many posts.  I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means but decided to start my system when I saw the Shure SRH 440's on sale for 60 bucks new online.  I got them and thus are am a bit dissapointed in the bass, but I realize that sometimes they need many hours of burn in to loosen the drivers.  Otherwise Im pretty happy with them thus far as the build quality is good, I wanted the closed setup as not to disturb others around me, and even though these is no active noise cancelling it does a pretty good job of blocking out other noise.  I ordered the earpads for the more expensive shure srh840s for 20 bucks so that should help as I plan on listening to my music for many hours at a time.  After reading these forums I realized that the entire system is only as good as its weakest link, and I was listening to mp3s at a crappy bitrate and off an old ipod nano.  I have ordered the COWON s9 that is coming in soon, so hopefully that will improve things quite a bit.  Anyhow I have just 2 simple questions.

With my cowon s9 mp3 player and mp3 tracks that have a superior bitrate, paired with my shure srh 440 headphones, do you think I would need or benefit greatly from a headphone amp?  Ive seen cheap filo's on amazon for 20 bucks but read that basically there isnt any real quality amps for less than 100 bucks. Im hoping the bbe enhancements and customization in terms of the equalizer on my cowon will help with my lack of heart punching bass on the srh440 headphones I have.  Also I want portability and before I even get to this whole amp buying process I am questioning if I would even need one?  I mostly listen to pop, rock, r and b, rap and dance music, not really classical or country or jazz.

And lastly, I'm going to start buying my mp3's online, not a fan of itunes or apple so ill go with napster or amazon.  I have no problem paying for high quality mp3s but then I read about flacs?  Is there really a discernable audio difference between a high bitrate mp3 that is standard on lets say, amazon and a flac?  If so, can you recommend any good sites with a great music selection that has flacs to download or can any mp3 be converted to a flac?  My cowon s9 is 32 g so I'll have enough room I assume for flacs if they are noticeably higher quality to a non audiophile like me compared to the standard high bitrate mp3 off amazon's site where I'll be purchasing my music. 

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back