++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 26, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #1,771 of 29,490
I noticed that there aren't a lot of pop music fans posting in these forums, but I was wondering what pair of headphones would go well with this music genre. Specifically I listen to a lot of mainstream Asian pop music, which is also not very common in this community.

I was hoping to find a pair of headphones that can fold or lie flat, have decent bass (I currently use Sennheiser CX-300 earbuds), have clarity in the mids/vocals, sound decent without amping, and under $200.

Right now I'm kind of torn between the HFI-580's (DJ1), D1100's, and M50's. Thanks for any suggestions!

Feb 26, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #1,772 of 29,490
The Audio Technica Ad900 have an excellent mid-range and sound well unamped. The bass isn't particularly strong, but the bass in Lady GaGa sounds good enough. Not overbearing, but not weak. They definitely won't have the bass of the CX300 though. They are a little above your budget, but I think you'd thoroughly enjoy them.

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #1,773 of 29,490

Quote:UltraSone/BeyerDynamic
I noticed that there aren't a lot of pop music fans posting in these forums, but I was wondering what pair of headphones would go well with this music genre. Specifically I listen to a lot of mainstream Asian pop music, which is also not very common in this community.

I was hoping to find a pair of headphones that can fold or lie flat, have decent bass (I currently use Sennheiser CX-300 earbuds), have clarity in the mids/vocals, sound decent without amping, and under $200.

Right now I'm kind of torn between the HFI-580's (DJ1), D1100's, and M50's. Thanks for any suggestions!

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #1,774 of 29,490

Quote:
The Audio Technica Ad900 have an excellent mid-range and sound well unamped. The bass isn't particularly strong, but the bass in Lady GaGa sounds good enough. Not overbearing, but not weak. They definitely won't have the bass of the CX300 though. They are a little above your budget, but I think you'd thoroughly enjoy them.

Do the AD900's fold or lie flat? From the pictures I've seen, it doesn't look like it does. I was actually hoping to find a pair of headphones that would be fairly portable and have decent noise isolation as well.

Feb 26, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #1,775 of 29,490
Quote:
Do the AD900's fold or lie flat? From the pictures I've seen, it doesn't look like it does. I was actually hoping to find a pair of headphones that would be fairly portable and have decent noise isolation as well.

That's not the AD900s.  They're large, fragile, and if they open so they don't have any isolation.

The M50s I used to own were plenty good with the small amount of Jpop I listen to, but I haven't heard the others you mentioned to give any comparisons.

Feb 26, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #1,776 of 29,490
Well, Ill repost this, the thread I made has pretty much reached the point of no return with one piece of advice

Okay, well context first. I have owned Grado SR-80i's for about a month or two behind a year now. I loved em and all, but, just recently I got to the point where my ears begged for an upgrade. I looked at Beyerdynamic DT990s, but they were getting out of my price range. So, I found out about the vintage K 240 Sextetts. I went ahead and bought them, they seemed like an ABSOLUTE steal.

Well, they're straight up crap compared to my SR-80i's. They suck the life out of music. They're just muddled compared to my SR-80s. Bass is slightly better. It ends there.

Granted, I'm not using either of these with an amp. I got a CMoy amp for christmas. Crapped out like a month ago. They helped notably, nothing crazy, but helped my SR-80s. Would getting another one of these help?

Otherwise, Im really looking for where to go now. Would getting some sort of amp help out my  AKGs to the point where they surpass my grados amped as well? What headphones would surpass my grados in the 150 maybe a bit more range?

I was also looking at a fiio E7 amp. At this point in time I dont really have a static place for my audio, whether it be my ipod, computer, or home stereo. Any thoughts on pairing this with either my SR-80i's or other headphone?

thanks y'all

Feb 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #1,779 of 29,490

Quote:
Well, Ill repost this, the thread I made has pretty much reached the point of no return with one piece of advice

Okay, well context first. I have owned Grado SR-80i's for about a month or two behind a year now. I loved em and all, but, just recently I got to the point where my ears begged for an upgrade. I looked at Beyerdynamic DT990s, but they were getting out of my price range. So, I found out about the vintage K 240 Sextetts. I went ahead and bought them, they seemed like an ABSOLUTE steal.

Well, they're straight up crap compared to my SR-80i's. They suck the life out of music. They're just muddled compared to my SR-80s. Bass is slightly better. It ends there.

Granted, I'm not using either of these with an amp. I got a CMoy amp for christmas. Crapped out like a month ago. They helped notably, nothing crazy, but helped my SR-80s. Would getting another one of these help?

Otherwise, Im really looking for where to go now. Would getting some sort of amp help out my  AKGs to the point where they surpass my grados amped as well? What headphones would surpass my grados in the 150 maybe a bit more range?

I was also looking at a fiio E7 amp. At this point in time I dont really have a static place for my audio, whether it be my ipod, computer, or home stereo. Any thoughts on pairing this with either my SR-80i's or other headphone?

thanks y'all

The Sextetts need an amp, they are 600ohms.

Edit: An amp that can properly drive 600ohms.

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #1,781 of 29,490
Hello

Just joined to ask the gurus on the forums. Have been using earbuds but like the lower end of the spectrum (2 pairs about $30 apiece) and finally decided I wanted to upgrade to some over the ear headphones but wasnt quite sure on where to go from here. Reading a lot of reviews but if i bought 'the best' headphones id have like 10 pairs lol

Ive been looking around on amazon and headphone.com for some different models. I leaning towards grados or sennheisers but open to any opinions.

Preferences:
  1. Im a student so about half of the usage will be traveling to/from class with my ipod / android phone.
  2. I also have a macbook with itunes.
  3. Mainly rock/metal music
  4. dont want wireless/bluetooth

I wouldnt mind getting an amp/converter (know what they are but not sure about what i need) but something that will go to class with me. is it just based on the impedence? ive seen basic ones are 16 and 32ohms while the Sennheiser 650s are like 300.

Sets im looking at
-grado 225/325
-sennheiser 450 / 595
-beyer 770
-any good audio technica or denon models around this price
sennheiser 650? or would it be a waste if a lot of my listening is on my ipod?
Ive also seen the 650s are open back but does that mean other people can hear my music too? thats not what i want.

and ive seen the total bithead for an amp which would be a good price for me. any headphones that would be too much for this too handle?

trying not to go over $320ish. thanks a lot.

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #1,782 of 29,490

Quote:

The general consensus seems to be that the AD900 don't have a large quantity of bass.

Bass is definitely a concern, and I do think in a lot of trance bass has a lot of presence. But I don't think trance is about bass as much as it is the "floating" effect I feel it has. I don't know how to describe it other than like this. Would the AD900 make a good trance headphone?

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #1,783 of 29,490

Quote:
I certainly know that, but will amping let it surpass my grados amped?

To each their own, but with proper amping I feel that my Sextetts (MP) blow the SR80 out of the water. They are very different sound signatures though. The grados offer a sparkly and aggressive sound with good emphasis on the upper mids and highs. The Sextetts are more relaxed and smooth, greats mids and midbass.

Quote:
Hello

Just joined to ask the gurus on the forums. Have been using earbuds but like the lower end of the spectrum (2 pairs about $30 apiece) and finally decided I wanted to upgrade to some over the ear headphones but wasnt quite sure on where to go from here. Reading a lot of reviews but if i bought 'the best' headphones id have like 10 pairs lol

Ive been looking around on amazon and headphone.com for some different models. I leaning towards grados or sennheisers but open to any opinions.

Preferences:
  1. Im a student so about half of the usage will be traveling to/from class with my ipod / android phone.
  2. I also have a macbook with itunes.
  3. Mainly rock/metal music
  4. dont want wireless/bluetooth

I wouldnt mind getting an amp/converter (know what they are but not sure about what i need) but something that will go to class with me. is it just based on the impedence? ive seen basic ones are 16 and 32ohms while the Sennheiser 650s are like 300.

Sets im looking at
-grado 225/325
-sennheiser 450 / 595
-beyer 770
-any good audio technica or denon models around this price
sennheiser 650? or would it be a waste if a lot of my listening is on my ipod?
Ive also seen the 650s are open back but does that mean other people can hear my music too? thats not what i want.

and ive seen the total bithead for an amp which would be a good price for me. any headphones that would be too much for this too handle?

trying not to go over $320ish. thanks a lot.

If you're walking around, you're going to want something smaller and rugged. All of those you listed are rather clunky.

I would suggest a closed portable for ease of carry and being able to actually hear your music while walking around (plus being able to listen to music in quiet areas without disturbing others). A few choices:
Sennheiser PX200-ii or HD25-1-ii
Beyerdynamic T50p
Phiaton MS300 or 400

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #1,784 of 29,490
Please post your opinion:

Current set up:
ath m50's
dt 990/600
e7/e9 combo

I was thinking of upgrading from the m50's with the next best closed option. I am considering the ultrasone Pro 900 or the denon d7000. The only way i will plunge for the d7000's though is if i can get them from electronics expo for less that $600 if they have a coupon code and in stock. What do you guys think?

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #1,785 of 29,490

Quote:
The general consensus seems to be that the AD900 don't have a large quantity of bass.

Bass is definitely a concern, and I do think in a lot of trance bass has a lot of presence. But I don't think trance is about bass as much as it is the "floating" effect I feel it has. I don't know how to describe it other than like this. Would the AD900 make a good trance headphone?

I would pick the A900 over the AD900 for trance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back