++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 13, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #1,486 of 29,490
Help me find some headphones, used for listening to music on my laptop. mainly hip hop, and RnB

I don't know anything about headphones. Style is somewhat important to me, I want something not too big, foldable, and it would be nice if the ear muffs swiveled as well. Looking for something non-dependant on source/amp (don't want to go hunting for additional equipment) should have good bass but i don't want crappy mids and highs either.

short list of what i listen to: tribe called quest, nas, biggie, 2pac, jay-z, de la soul, dilated peoples, lupe fiasco, j.cole, B.O.B, pharcyde, fugees, talib kweli, mos def, j electronica, marques houston, brian mcknight, ne-yo, usher, marvin gaye, aaliyah, alicia keys, musiq soulchild, j. holiday..

looking to spend $50-$75 obviously less is better

edit: forgot to mention that i'd also like them not to cover my whole ear because i wear earings

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #1,487 of 29,490

Quote:
Thinking of buying the Denon AH-D2000's. Im into house, dubstep, rock, and some acoustic stuff. From what ive been reading, these look to be the ideal fit, as they have slightly more-powerful bass (which i would enjoy).

Anything i should consider or know before i make the leap? 

Not really, I think the D2000s should do fairly well with those genres.
Quote:
So I was looking for headphones that are an 'upgrade' over my old Creative Aurvana Live that I broke last week. 

Looking for something similar to the CALs, has to be semi-portable, closed at least and be decent enough at gaming.

Tried out my friends pair of ATH-50s for gaming and was honestly amazed at how awful they are for them. The soundstage is absolutely terrible compared to my old CALs. Tried listening to music on some SRH440s and HD280s and wasn't really impressed. They feel really dull in general in terms of sound. And the SRH's were some of the most uncomfortable headphones I've worn.  

Is there something around 150 dollars or so that has the vibrant feel that my old CALs had. What am I looking for?

Well, if you have an emphasis on soundstage, you could try an Ultrasone headphone. They don't sound very "dull," and the S-Logic Plus really does make a difference - to me, at least.

Seems like this thread is reaching a hundred pages - I really do hope it's helped some people.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #1,488 of 29,490
Hello guys,

I am looking for  headphones to be used at home when listening to music. I listen mostly to all kinds of metal as well as rock, alternative, a bit of jazz etc...
I have a budget of 500 $ max and will be purchasing an RSA predator to be used with my ipod touch. I already own three IEM's, and I think it is time to get myself some decent headphones. I've owned the Beats in the past and sold them because they offered nothing better than my shure se530's and were much larger, so I am looking for 
something different. I've auditioned the new B&W p5 headphones and I really liked the soundstage that wasn't present in my se535s, but unfortunately, there are no stores that sell all types of headphones for me to listen to and pick one. I want something with a nice airy sound with huge soundstage and good stereo imaging. Any suggestions on what I should get? 

Thanks!

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #1,489 of 29,490
Hey guys I'm seeking headphone guidance! Originally i was going to buy a m50, but recently i've started thinking i should just jump to something more expensive like the AKG k701's or the HD 650's. The main reason for this is that i could see myself craving for even better sounding cans right after the purchase. I listen mostly to rock/pop/instrumental/classic, and mids are pretty important to me. I also want a neutral sound. So far the ones i'm looking into are:
DT 990 (pro/not pro)
DT 880
HD 600
HD 650
AKG k701/702
AKG k501
Having not heard any of them other than the k701's(not for extended periods), and i don't know what to decide on. Which would you guys recommend, or are there any other ones out there in the 200~500ish price range that would suit me. My set up right now is only the uDAC, but i will probably build a Millet Hybrid and use the uDAC as a DAC only. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #1,490 of 29,490
Hi head-fi community,

i've been lurking the forums the past few days in search of a new headphone. I'll be using it mostly for music while studying and surfing the net, which takes ~5hours a day, so comfort is an important point for me.

Music wise i listen to nerly all genres but i'd like the headphones to be more on the bassy side.

They should cost around ~200$, be drive-able without amp and a telephone cord would be nice too but is no must. As i will be using them often i'll probably need spare earpads 2 years down the road and they shouldn't cost half the price of new headphones.
During my research i found the Denon D2000s and ATH-M50, but spare parts for the Denon are hard to get in Europe and very expensive. The ATH-M50 would cost over 200$ here and there are probably better headphones at that price range.

Hopefully i'll get some good suggestions

Thanks in advance

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #1,492 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm in need of help,

I have two sets of headphones right now: AKG K240s and the Astro A30's. Both are great. I use them with the Mixamp for xbox and ps3 gaming mostly.

I'm looking for a step up from the K240's and dont want another headset because I got the A30's not too long ago.

I have heard good things from:
HD595 (now they have the HD 558 and 598 which are supposedly good too?)
AD700
DT770 pro 80's
DT880,
DT990
K701/K702

As far as price range, i'd like to stay in the 200$ mark. Are the 300$ headphones I mentionned really that much better than the DT770's?

Will I see a huge improvement from my current setup if i do not plan on buying an additionnal amp (only using mixamp)?

Are there any other alternatives you would suggest?

I play FPS's (halo mostly).

Thanks

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #1,493 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello guys,

I am looking for  headphones to be used at home when listening to music. I listen mostly to all kinds of metal as well as rock, alternative, a bit of jazz etc...
I have a budget of 500 $ max and will be purchasing an RSA predator to be used with my ipod touch. I already own three IEM's, and I think it is time to get myself some decent headphones. I've owned the Beats in the past and sold them because they offered nothing better than my shure se530's and were much larger, so I am looking for 
something different. I've auditioned the new B&W p5 headphones and I really liked the soundstage that wasn't present in my se535s, but unfortunately, there are no stores that sell all types of headphones for me to listen to and pick one. I want something with a nice airy sound with huge soundstage and good stereo imaging. Any suggestions on what I should get? 

Thanks!

Woo-hoo, large budgets are always fun to play with. The audio-technica ES10s should do a good job with the genres you listen to, and the amp will make them sound even better. If they're anything like my ESW9s, the soundstage is very good for a headphone of its size.
Quote:
cx300 versus skullcandy inkd.describe.

Skullcandy loses 99.9 percent of the time. Just sayin'.
Quote:
Hi head-fi community,

i've been lurking the forums the past few days in search of a new headphone. I'll be using it mostly for music while studying and surfing the net, which takes ~5hours a day, so comfort is an important point for me.

Music wise i listen to nerly all genres but i'd like the headphones to be more on the bassy side.

They should cost around ~200$, be drive-able without amp and a telephone cord would be nice too but is no must. As i will be using them often i'll probably need spare earpads 2 years down the road and they shouldn't cost half the price of new headphones.
During my research i found the Denon D2000s and ATH-M50, but spare parts for the Denon are hard to get in Europe and very expensive. The ATH-M50 would cost over 200$ here and there are probably better headphones at that price range.

Hopefully i'll get some good suggestions

Thanks in advance

The Shure SRH840s have a mostly neutral sound that's slightly tilted towards the low end, they have a strong, replaceable coiled cable and come with spare earpads. Some people say they place too much weight on the top of your head, but I didn't get that feeling. They also sound good even without an amp. They fit all your criteria, really.

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #1,494 of 29,490

Originally Posted by Slumdog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Help me find some headphones, used for listening to music on my laptop. mainly hip hop, and RnB

I don't know anything about headphones. Style is somewhat important to me, I want something not too big, foldable, and it would be nice if the ear muffs swiveled as well. Looking for something non-dependant on source/amp (don't want to go hunting for additional equipment) should have good bass but i don't want crappy mids and highs either.

short list of what i listen to: tribe called quest, nas, biggie, 2pac, jay-z, de la soul, dilated peoples, lupe fiasco, j.cole, B.O.B, pharcyde, fugees, talib kweli, mos def, j electronica, marques houston, brian mcknight, ne-yo, usher, marvin gaye, aaliyah, alicia keys, musiq soulchild, j. holiday..

looking to spend $50-$75 obviously less is better

edit: forgot to mention that i'd also like them not to cover my whole ear because i wear earings

bump......................

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #1,495 of 29,490
Been looking for advice on some headphones for my styles of music. I see a lot suggest the M50s but I'm looking for some other alternatives to look into. One question I have is are there a pair of phones that sound fine powered by a computer or ipod, but can definitely get that much better if a portable amp is purchased later.

Music Style: I listen to an all around mix of styles on a day to day basis. Radiohead, Dubstep, Older Rap (Wu-Tang, OutKast, BIG), Jazz, Classical, Rock, lots of jam band, Indie.

Portable: YES, but I don't mind having some big cans on my head walking around. I definitely want over ear, closed back headphones. I have some floor speakers I listen to while at home.

Player: I mostly listen off my ipod.

Price: 100-250. I'd be willing to spend a little more if I think it's necessary.

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #1,496 of 29,490
Hi guys,

Im in the market for some headphones and if it wasn't for finding this forum I would have probably either bough the Beats By Dre Studio or the Bose QC15's.

The main reason I was looking at these two headphones is because I travel quite regularly, so I would be using them for watching movies, listening to music but at the same time would need them to be comfortable. The only thing I like about the Bose in all honesty is the fact that it blocks out the aircraft engine, and the fact that they are extremely comfortable.

I know people dont particularly like the Studios on here but when I listened to them, I quite liked the way they sounded. The thing that I wasn't sure about is if the amount of bass would get too much to stand after a while, although I like my bass, I think it might be a bit OTT. Plus the ridiculous price tag. 

So my question is: What headphones will be a good choice, I need them to be comfortable, I like my bass so bassy, Not to leak too much, The ability to enjoy movies with them and quite fashionable. I listen to mostly everything, Rock, Metal, Hip-hop, RnB, Rap, Electro House, Minimal Tech etc..

Thanks to this forum I am between the Audiotechnica M50's, ES7's or Phiaton M400's but any recommedations would be great. My budget is up to $300, as long as they are worth it.

Thanks

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #1,497 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,

Im in the market for some headphones and if it wasn't for finding this forum I would have probably either bough the Beats By Dre Studio or the Bose QC15's.

The main reason I was looking at these two headphones is because I travel quite regularly, so I would be using them for watching movies, listening to music but at the same time would need them to be comfortable. The only thing I like about the Bose in all honesty is the fact that it blocks out the aircraft engine, and the fact that they are extremely comfortable.

I know people dont particularly like the Studios on here but when I listened to them, I quite liked the way they sounded. The thing that I wasn't sure about is if the amount of bass would get too much to stand after a while, although I like my bass, I think it might be a bit OTT. Plus the ridiculous price tag. 

So my question is: What headphones will be a good choice, I need them to be comfortable, I like my bass so bassy, Not to leak too much, The ability to enjoy movies with them and quite fashionable. I listen to mostly everything, Rock, Metal, Hip-hop, RnB, Rap, Electro House, Minimal Tech etc..

Thanks to this forum I am between the Audiotechnica M50's, ES7's or Phiaton M400's but any recommedations would be great. My budget is up to $300, as long as they are worth it.

Thanks

You aren't going to find anything that blocks more sound than the Bose QCs except for IEMs.  If you don't know if you'll find them comfortable I'd buy a cheap pair and try out the comfort before buying an expensive pair unless you buy from someplace with a good return policy.  If you don't like the idea of sticking things in your ears and isolation is your biggest concern then I'd go with the Bose.  They don't sound the best, but they do isolate the best.

Just stay away from the beats unless you're completely in love with the sound signature.  They're noise canceling but they do an awful job of it.  They fall short of the isolation provided by many non-NC closed 'phones which in turn all fall short of the Bose's isolation.

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #1,498 of 29,490
Looking to pick up my first set of decent-good cans.  Need some advice.

Music genres: I'd say 5% hiphop, 80% classic rock, 15% other.  

Portable: No, only at the computer/tv.

Price range: $100'ish

Amped: Someday I'm sure it's going to happen but immediately now, no.

Closed/Open: Don't have a lot of experience with this topic.  Does open mean the speaker enclosure being open to 'breath'?  Will this let sound escape?  Or open as sitting on the ear type headphones.

I do not want sound escaping (tiny is ok) and would prefer the headphones to fully enclose the ear.  Other than that, I don't care. 

Headphone preference: I love a good soundstage.  It's not an elite setup if the stage is setup properly if you ask me.  I don't require the speakers to be too neutral or anything.  I'm looking for the purest experience where I feel like the band is playing right in front of me. 

Only thing to add in is that the headphones will probably be used for a lot of movies too.  A long straight cord would be a plus.  I do have a creative audigy sound card on my computer, not sure if that provides me with more power or not.

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #1,499 of 29,490

Little history. Own some HD650's and some Denon 2K's. I game a LOT, as well as listen to music...and the Denon's were just better for my all around use, Senns weren't being used much. Friend lives in Canada, could not find them for less than 400, so I sold him mine for 300. We are both happy. 

Now I want to snag some open cans again though. I was looking at the HE-5LE. I like what I have read on the reviews, they are within my budget, and they may add a fuller bass than the HD650's.

I know they aren't an open can, but I was also looking at the Denon 7K since I liked the 2K's so much. But I have a couple questions.

I have the Maverick Audio A1/D1 setup, and even though I have read up a bit on the HE-5LE's I'm not sure if my Mav setup can do these cans justice. Secondly, compared to the HD650's what am I looking at as far as sound quality and change goes? Up, down sideways? Better highs? Better bass? Better soundstage? My 2 issues with the HD650's were that "veil" and I wanted a tad deeper bass in my headphones. BUT I could literally listen to music for hours on end with them. The Denon 2K's I really need to take them off every so often. 

Also, coming from the Denon 2K's and going to the Denon 7K's, am I better off snagging a totally different can like the HE-5LE's?  I already do own the 2K's? Are another headphone a better choice because I do own the 2K's? Or are the 7k's such an upgrade in overall quality I may be better served snagging them?

Any other recommendations? I can afford to spend about 1k or so, but keep in mind I really wish to keep my Mav Audio setup. I like the versatility it offers, and the sound. But I am open to a new amp if it really is the better solution. But again a budget of 1k is what I am looking at.

Thanks in advance. (I hope I shouldn't have tagged this under another thread).

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #1,500 of 29,490

Quote:

Hey there,

I've had the DT990 Pro 250 ohm for a couple of months now, and I just recently got the udac-2 dac/amp, and I think that it sounds great. I love the great bass and the bright highs, it really makes the music come alive.

After getting the udac-2, I've been bitten by the upgrade bug and I'm a little unsure as to what to do. I really like the sound of the dt-990, but I'm also interested in getting something to compliment it. 

For now, I've been looking a lot at the DT880 and the HD600/HD580. I think that I would like the lush mid-range of the Senns as a compliment to the DT 990s, but I hear a lot of great things about the DT 880s as a great all-around analytical phone, but since I've only had the DT990, it's hard to tell what any of them would sound like (I should note that I don't know of anywhere nearby where I could sample these headphones).

I know that there are a lot of threads on this specifically, but I was wondering, strictly out of a udac-2, listening primarily to rock (killers), pop (nelly furtado, rachael yamagata) and a lot of movie scores (last samurai, inception, dark knight), which would compliment the dt-990 better?

Also, if anyone has any thoughts on whether it would be worth upgrading from dt990-250 to dt990-600/ any other good upgrades from the dt990 sound, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks so much.

hi,

at least the 990-600 do anything a step betters than the 990 pro. looking at price, i can't tell your circumstances what you can expect for old one s reselling. your choice so far. if it s gonna stay below 80 bucks total difference i would recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back