++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 14, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #1,516 of 29,490
I think I'm almost to the point now where I am just going to get the AD700s now, and maybe when those Sony XB1000s come out I will pick that up as well for my bassy needs (or maybe just the XB700 if the 1000 is bad or too expensive). Everything I've read about the AD700s say they're amazing for movies and games as well as most music. Is an amp required at all for the AD700s?

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #1,517 of 29,490

Quote:
Armaegis, I like Sennheiser but how is the bass on those models? Most of the reviews I remember about the 485s said one of their strong points was bass, but the 500 series sennheisers say the bass is weak. I listen to a lot of Trance, hip hop, rap, etc. I listen to a lot of rock and alternative as well, so I don't want something where bass just drowns everything out, but I like to be able to hear it as well.

I was also looking at the ATH-AD700/900s, but I think the 900 is a little more than I'd want to spend. As long as the 595s have at least as much bass as the 485s I think I'd be fine with them though.

The AD700 are not known for being bassy headphones, although I still like their sound despite its under-emphasis.  I would recommend looking into something like the Beyerdynamic DT990 as well as the Sennheiser 580.  Having not heard the 485s, I can't comment on or compare their bass to that of either of these other headphones, but both are well liked by many people here at this forum. 

A good idea may be to buy one of these headphones used from another Head-fier, that way if they are not to your liking you can resell them for virtually the same price you bought them for. 

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #1,518 of 29,490

Quote:
I think I'm almost to the point now where I am just going to get the AD700s now, and maybe when those Sony XB1000s come out I will pick that up as well for my bassy needs (or maybe just the XB700 if the 1000 is bad or too expensive). Everything I've read about the AD700s say they're amazing for movies and games as well as most music. Is an amp required at all for the AD700s?

The AD700s for gaming are pure sex. I don't think I've heard anything better.
Not sure about movies but I bet they'd be the same. 
The AD700s dont need an amp but you know, it wouldnt hurt

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #1,519 of 29,490
I'd imagine that the AD700s wouldn't be that great for action movies.  They don't have much bass and explosions and what not will be rather weak.  They'll still be great for competitive FPS gaming because of the soundstaging but won't be as good for immersion in single player games.

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #1,520 of 29,490

Quote:
I've been lurking around a bit reading and looking at the wiki and reviews, great job to everyone on the site!

I have never owned any quality headphones, nor do I know too much about them, which is why I'm posting here with a few questions.

I will primarily be using them through my computer. I do not have a sound card, and these are the specs my motherboard has for 'audio' if it helps at all.

1)Knowing this would it be necessary to buy an audio card?

Here's some stuff I listen to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrVAGliL36w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqNFkQmmbcQ
Indie rock, Experimental (Hip Hop), Electronic, etc

Amps?
I hear a lot of mixed things about them, I know it sort of depends on the source of my music and what headphones I choose, so maybe this question can be answered later.

I'm looking to spend a MAX of around $80 on the headphones.

I did some mild research, and Sennheiser HD 555s are looking good to me:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001FTVDQ/
ir

Would these be appropriate for what I listen do, and a good product for the price?

Suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
YoHoJo

Quoting own post since it didn't get any responses yet. :]

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #1,521 of 29,490
Quote:

Quoting own post since it didn't get any responses yet. :]

The 555s would be a decent all 'rounder, especially for the price.  They lack the really deep bass that's present in your second link though.  If you want more bass, but less soundstage a pair of used Audio Technica M50 would be around the same price.

At this level you really don't need to worry about a separate amp or DAC/soundcard unless your current one is really bad, like having a ton of noise or static or a hum or something.  Both of those pairs of 'phones should be just fine out of most standard onboard soundcards like you have now.

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #1,523 of 29,490
Why hello, I have questions and I hear you guys can answer.

After buying Turtle beach x11's for my xbox, my poor ear buds for my ipod have never been the same. I can no longer listen and enjoy my music with the buds, but sadly my x11's are usb powerd and thus non-mobile. It's time I manned up and got a real pair of headphones to satisfy my needs. Now to explain my wants.

Music I listen too:
The killers
Cold play
Phoenix
Breaking benjamin
The Kooks
Foo fighters
Lemaitre
Plenty of movie scores. With a BA chorus and epic sorts of music. (ex:transformers soundtrack)

I do listen to rap and other things of that sort, but not often enough on my ipod to be of real mentioning. The bumpin bass is for my car sound system.

I don't do much in the form of public transit and at my college generally I will use my old buds for the portability. Thus, the whole open or closed speaker thing doesn't really matter.

What I want:
I love the retro look in headphones, well... what I think is retro...
Yes, the look is somewhat important, I just dont like those smooth rounded headphones that look like ear protectors.
Occasionally the headphones will go on walks in the outside world, and on a bike, through a park. I live in the suburbs so its not terrible noisy out.

So far I like the grados sr60i and the AKG style headphones

My budget is $100 and maybe I could be pursuaded by a good arguement to go as high as $120-130

Please help me oh great head-fi-ians. Reading all the recomendations and discussions has made me even more lost on what exactly I am looking for.

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #1,524 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey, guys. I'm planning on grabbing a JVC HA-RX900 and was wondering whether you guys had any other headphones that I should consider in the same price range (50-60 USD). 

Those are probably a good bet, especially if you're into modding them.  There's not a whole lot of competition in that price bracket.  Maybe a pair of used Grados if you don't need to keep the sound from leaking out and bothering other people, but that's about it.

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #1,525 of 29,490
Need some new headphones soon. I am using the Lehmann Audio Black Cube as an amp and mostly listening to Classic and sometimes Jazz.

Till now I got 3 headphones in my mind : AKG Q 701 , Denon AH-A100 & Beyerdynamic DT 880 / 990 ...

Which one would you recommend also in terms of construction quality etc...

Thanks very much !

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #1,526 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Audiohead

How about the ATH-AD700? I think the AD900s are out of my price range as I really don't want to spend $200, but the 700s are only $120 on Amazon.

It all depends. AD700 has an extended semi punchy bass (out of little Corda Arietta). AD900 has slightly lesser bass, but offers more details, where AD700 is a bit muddy. AD700 is pretty good for pop music. AD900 can be very annoying because of its harsh highs. I've discovered that HD800 is the way to go... more details, better bass and a soundstage that is even bigger compared to the AD700.

But bad records sound bad on HD800. AD700 can fix it. It's fun listening to for popular music. My loss, that I listen to classical music most of the time. For this the HD800 is heaven... :)

Back to the topic:

Comparing HD595/120 (which is the same as HD598, but slightly different to HD595) to the AD700, I have to say that HD595/120 sounds slightly more detailed and has a soundstage that is more narrow. Because of the soundstage the bass is not so extending like the bass on the AD700. Both headphones are great. So the normal HD595 should be good as well.

The end of the line:

All (AD700, AD900, HD595, HD555, HD598) can't be recommended for trance, hip hop, rap, etc. - such music, that is not natural, will be reproduced below its requirements in the bass department. An EQ won't help much.

But it is astonishing what the open HD800 can deliver if you use an EQ. It even takes such things like trance to a new level... but that is my personal opinion, which must not be shared by anybody else.

My recommendation for you:

Maybe you should try some closed Ultrasones, closed Audio-Technicas or Sony XB500/XB700 for this kind of music.

You also should try out the beyerdynamic DT231 or DT235. They are very cheap and offer a great sound for a closed headphone at this price.

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #1,527 of 29,490

Quote:
The 555s would be a decent all 'rounder, especially for the price.  They lack the really deep bass that's present in your second link though.  If you want more bass, but less soundstage a pair of used Audio Technica M50 would be around the same price.

At this level you really don't need to worry about a separate amp or DAC/soundcard unless your current one is really bad, like having a ton of noise or static or a hum or something.  Both of those pairs of 'phones should be just fine out of most standard onboard soundcards like you have now.

Any other suggestions? Having trouble finding those at a low enough price for me, and I'd would be nice to be able to compare a few different sets. Very helpful post though, thank you very much! Although the 555s will lack bass, the bass will still be fine overall correct? Most of the music I listen to isn't too bassy nor do I need any emphasis on bass, but I would still like it to sound pretty good, more emphasis on electronics/rock.

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #1,529 of 29,490
Quote:
Any other suggestions? Having trouble finding those at a low enough price for me, and I'd would be nice to be able to compare a few different sets. Very helpful post though, thank you very much! Although the 555s will lack bass, the bass will still be fine overall correct? Most of the music I listen to isn't too bassy nor do I need any emphasis on bass, but I would still like it to sound pretty good, more emphasis on electronics/rock.

The bass that's there isn't necessarily light, it just rolls off a bit early so the really deep bass in most electronic music won't be as present.  It should be fine with most other types of music though.  I don't have much personal experience with much else in your price range so I'm probably out of advice at this point.

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #1,530 of 29,490

Quote:

The bass that's there isn't necessarily light, it just rolls off a bit early so the really deep bass in most electronic music won't be as present.  It should be fine with most other types of music though.  I don't have much personal experience with much else in your price range so I'm probably out of advice at this point.

Yikes, I'm seeing a lot of people at amazon complain about the build quality. Saying that the plastic gets cracked and breaks  on the 555s which is scaring me from getting them:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1PWITLRLLXYIQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R1PWITLRLLXYIQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back