++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 14, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #1,501 of 29,490
Okay, than I'll try it here:

My needs:

1. The cans should be over-ear built. (If an on-ear headphone offers better sound, then I'd take it, too.)

2. The cans should work out of an headphone amp as well as out of a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer sound card.

3. soundstage: small to average size
4. bass: strong (defined, but not overpowering)
5. bass impact: strong to very strong
6. mids: good resolution, not recessed (maybe only slightly recessed)
7. highs: not too harsh (the lesser the sibilance is, the better it is for my taste)
8. comfort: very good (it should easily be able to be worn several hours at a time)

PRICE: max. 200 €uros

The competitors:

Ultrasone HFI-580
Shure SRH-750 DJ
Audio-Technica ATH-M50S
Sony MDR-XB 500
Sony MDR-XB 700

Maybe too expansive:

[Audio-Technica ATH-A900]
[beyerdynamic DT770/250 Ed.05]
[Denon AH-D2000]

On-Ear ones:

[Sennheiser HD25-1 II]
[beyerdynamic DT250/250]
[Klipsch Image ONE]

So you see, I know what I want, but I'm not sure how to get it.

If you think, that there is any other headphone that could satisfy my needs, than let me know it.

Frank
beerchug.gif

PS:

Here a shorter question:

ATH-M50s vs. HFI-580 vs. SHR-750DJ --> which makes the most fun (bass impact, clear sound, good comfort, less harsh highs) ?!

or is there a headphone (<200 Euros) that destroys them in terms of fun?

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #1,502 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay, than I'll try it here:

My needs:

1. The cans should be over-ear built. (If an on-ear headphone offers better sound, then I'd take it, too.)

2. The cans should work out of an headphone amp as well as out of a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer sound card.

3. soundstage: small to average size
4. bass: strong (defined, but not overpowering)
5. bass impact: strong to very strong
6. mids: good resolution, not recessed (maybe only slightly recessed)
7. highs: not too harsh (the lesser the sibilance is, the better it is for my taste)
8. comfort: very good (it should easily be able to be worn several hours at a time)

PRICE: max. 200 €uros

The competitors:

Ultrasone HFI-580
Shure SRH-750 DJ
Audio-Technica ATH-M50S
Sony MDR-XB 500
Sony MDR-XB 700

Maybe too expansive:

[Audio-Technica ATH-A900]
[beyerdynamic DT770/250 Ed.05]
[Denon AH-D2000]

On-Ear ones:

[Sennheiser HD25-1 II]
[beyerdynamic DT250/250]
[Klipsch Image ONE]

So you see, I know what I want, but I'm not sure how to get it.

If you think, that there is any other headphone that could satisfy my needs, than let me know it.

Frank
beerchug.gif

PS:

Here a shorter question:

ATH-M50s vs. HFI-580 vs. SHR-750DJ --> which makes the most fun (bass impact, clear sound, good comfort, less harsh highs) ?!

or is there a headphone (<200 Euros) that destroys them in terms of fun?

I'd stay away from the XBs unless the vast majority of your music is trance/techno/etc.  That's where they really excel.  They do surprisingly well with acoustic, jazz, and light rock but pretty awful with most hard rock and metal.

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #1,503 of 29,490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slumdog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Help me find some headphones, used for listening to music on my laptop. mainly hip hop, and RnB

I don't know anything about headphones. Style is somewhat important to me, I want something not too big, foldable, and it would be nice if the ear muffs swiveled as well. Looking for something non-dependant on source/amp (don't want to go hunting for additional equipment) should have good bass but i don't want crappy mids and highs either.

short list of what i listen to: tribe called quest, nas, biggie, 2pac, jay-z, de la soul, dilated peoples, lupe fiasco, j.cole, B.O.B, pharcyde, fugees, talib kweli, mos def, j electronica, marques houston, brian mcknight, ne-yo, usher, marvin gaye, aaliyah, alicia keys, musiq soulchild, j. holiday..

looking to spend $50-$75 obviously less is better

edit: forgot to mention that i'd also like them not to cover my whole ear because i wear earings

bump......................

The best I can think of that meets all those criteria is the Sennheiser HD 228. Small and portable, folds flat, super comfortable, plenty of bass, and comes in at $80 on Amazon which is just a sliver over your budget.

Quote:
Been looking for advice on some headphones for my styles of music. I see a lot suggest the M50s but I'm looking for some other alternatives to look into. One question I have is are there a pair of phones that sound fine powered by a computer or ipod, but can definitely get that much better if a portable amp is purchased later.

Music Style: I listen to an all around mix of styles on a day to day basis. Radiohead, Dubstep, Older Rap (Wu-Tang, OutKast, BIG), Jazz, Classical, Rock, lots of jam band, Indie.

Portable: YES, but I don't mind having some big cans on my head walking around. I definitely want over ear, closed back headphones. I have some floor speakers I listen to while at home.

Player: I mostly listen off my ipod.

Price: 100-250. I'd be willing to spend a little more if I think it's necessary.

As an alternative to the M50, I would suggest the M-Audio Q40. Lots of bass yet more neutral sounding than the M50, detacheable cord, very large earpads (that don't heat up as much as the M50, but on the downside don't isolate as well), can be driven very easily from an ipod, and has a very noticeable improvement when amped.

Quote:
Looking to pick up my first set of decent-good cans.  Need some advice.

Music genres: I'd say 5% hiphop, 80% classic rock, 15% other.  
Portable: No, only at the computer/tv.
Price range: $100'ish
Amped: Someday I'm sure it's going to happen but immediately now, no.
Closed/Open: Don't have a lot of experience with this topic.  Does open mean the speaker enclosure being open to 'breath'?  Will this let sound escape?  Or open as sitting on the ear type headphones.
I do not want sound escaping (tiny is ok) and would prefer the headphones to fully enclose the ear.  Other than that, I don't care. 

Headphone preference: I love a good soundstage.  It's not an elite setup if the stage is setup properly if you ask me.  I don't require the speakers to be too neutral or anything.  I'm looking for the purest experience where I feel like the band is playing right in front of me. 

Only thing to add in is that the headphones will probably be used for a lot of movies too.  A long straight cord would be a plus.  I do have a creative audigy sound card on my computer, not sure if that provides me with more power or not.

"Open" means that the headphones do not seal around the ear. In general, open headphones have a better soundstage and less bass than their closed counterparts.

Whenever someone wants a closed headphone for rock, my default recommendation is an Ultrasone. Look up the Zino or whatever Pro or HFI model is within your budget.

Quote:

Little history. Own some HD650's and some Denon 2K's. I game a LOT, as well as listen to music...and the Denon's were just better for my all around use, Senns weren't being used much. Friend lives in Canada, could not find them for less than 400, so I sold him mine for 300. We are both happy. 

Now I want to snag some open cans again though. I was looking at the HE-5LE. I like what I have read on the reviews, they are within my budget, and they may add a fuller bass than the HD650's.

I know they aren't an open can, but I was also looking at the Denon 7K since I liked the 2K's so much. But I have a couple questions.

I have the Maverick Audio A1/D1 setup, and even though I have read up a bit on the HE-5LE's I'm not sure if my Mav setup can do these cans justice. Secondly, compared to the HD650's what am I looking at as far as sound quality and change goes? Up, down sideways? Better highs? Better bass? Better soundstage? My 2 issues with the HD650's were that "veil" and I wanted a tad deeper bass in my headphones. BUT I could literally listen to music for hours on end with them. The Denon 2K's I really need to take them off every so often. 

Also, coming from the Denon 2K's and going to the Denon 7K's, am I better off snagging a totally different can like the HE-5LE's?  I already do own the 2K's? Are another headphone a better choice because I do own the 2K's? Or are the 7k's such an upgrade in overall quality I may be better served snagging them?

Any other recommendations? I can afford to spend about 1k or so, but keep in mind I really wish to keep my Mav Audio setup. I like the versatility it offers, and the sound. But I am open to a new amp if it really is the better solution. But again a budget of 1k is what I am looking at.

Thanks in advance. (I hope I shouldn't have tagged this under another thread).

I say give those orthos a try, and spend a few extra bucks to get the latest Jmoney leather earpads for your D2k which greatly increase the comfort and sound quality (by improving seal).

Popular consensus here from my readings is for the higher line Denons to stop at the D5k.

Feb 14, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #1,505 of 29,490
Hi all i have been reading here and researching on Google and to be honest the more i read the more i get confused, so i am asking if you guys could recommend some good headphone up to $700.Music i listen its little bit of everything r&b roc hip hop it really all depends what mood i am in, i am looking also for something that i can use with my ipod and that i can use at home for my computer, also i am planning to get amp in near future as well. Thanks heaps.

Feb 14, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #1,506 of 29,490
I have been reading up on getting some new headphones for a few days now as my 485s are starting to get a little... boring. I've had them for over 5 years so it seems like it's time to move on. Most of the "comparisons" I will say will be in regard to how I feel about them, so if you've listened to them, you can probably know a little better where I am coming from.

1. Open-Air is a must! I will be using these... a lot right now. Between music 6+ hours at work and gaming at home with friends in skype (speakers not an option there), I will likely be wearing these almost the entire day at times.
2. The thicker the ear cushions, the better. My 485s let my ears rub the inside of the headphone frame, which gets very annoying after a few hours. It's really irritating to the point I sometimes have to just take them off for a while. So obviously, comfort is priority.
3. Preferably, they'd be great with an amp, and ok without. I don't really want to carry an amp with me everyday to work, etc. But at home, I'm definitely open to the idea of getting a $100-200 amp a few weeks down the road if it will help.

4. More bass than the 485s would be nice. I was looking at the 595s and they seemed to not have very good bass from what I read. At the very least, the 485s bass is mildly adequate, but I'd prefer it a little tighter and punchier.
5. These will not just be music, but also games and movies. Priority would be music, but I will game with them a few hours a day as well.

Price range is max $200. I'd prefer around $150, but if something that good is just out of reach of $150, I'm fine if it's a huge deal better. Looks are mildly important, but not THAT big a deal.

Thank you for your help!

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #1,508 of 29,490
The Noise Cancellation feature isn't really important to me. The most important thing to me I would say is sound quality, comfort, and not leaking out sound.

Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

Im in the market for some headphones and if it wasn't for finding this forum I would have probably either bough the Beats By Dre Studio or the Bose QC15's.

The main reason I was looking at these two headphones is because I travel quite regularly, so I would be using them for watching movies, listening to music but at the same time would need them to be comfortable. The only thing I like about the Bose in all honesty is the fact that it blocks out the aircraft engine, and the fact that they are extremely comfortable.

I know people dont particularly like the Studios on here but when I listened to them, I quite liked the way they sounded. The thing that I wasn't sure about is if the amount of bass would get too much to stand after a while, although I like my bass, I think it might be a bit OTT. Plus the ridiculous price tag. 

So my question is: What headphones will be a good choice, I need them to be comfortable, I like my bass so bassy, Not to leak too much, The ability to enjoy movies with them and quite fashionable. I listen to mostly everything, Rock, Metal, Hip-hop, RnB, Rap, Electro House, Minimal Tech etc..

Thanks to this forum I am between the Audiotechnica M50's, ES7's or Phiaton M400's but any recommedations would be great. My budget is up to $300, as long as they are worth it.

Thanks

You aren't going to find anything that blocks more sound than the Bose QCs except for IEMs.  If you don't know if you'll find them comfortable I'd buy a cheap pair and try out the comfort before buying an expensive pair unless you buy from someplace with a good return policy.  If you don't like the idea of sticking things in your ears and isolation is your biggest concern then I'd go with the Bose.  They don't sound the best, but they do isolate the best.

Just stay away from the beats unless you're completely in love with the sound signature.  They're noise canceling but they do an awful job of it.  They fall short of the isolation provided by many non-NC closed 'phones which in turn all fall short of the Bose's isolation.

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #1,509 of 29,490

Look into some Ultrasone PRO750s

I hear those have some extended, robust bass mixed with digital-like mids and highs
Quote:
Hi guys,

Im in the market for some headphones and if it wasn't for finding this forum I would have probably either bough the Beats By Dre Studio or the Bose QC15's.

The main reason I was looking at these two headphones is because I travel quite regularly, so I would be using them for watching movies, listening to music but at the same time would need them to be comfortable. The only thing I like about the Bose in all honesty is the fact that it blocks out the aircraft engine, and the fact that they are extremely comfortable.

I know people dont particularly like the Studios on here but when I listened to them, I quite liked the way they sounded. The thing that I wasn't sure about is if the amount of bass would get too much to stand after a while, although I like my bass, I think it might be a bit OTT. Plus the ridiculous price tag. 

So my question is: What headphones will be a good choice, I need them to be comfortable, I like my bass so bassy, Not to leak too much, The ability to enjoy movies with them and quite fashionable. I listen to mostly everything, Rock, Metal, Hip-hop, RnB, Rap, Electro House, Minimal Tech etc..

Thanks to this forum I am between the Audiotechnica M50's, ES7's or Phiaton M400's but any recommedations would be great. My budget is up to $300, as long as they are worth it.

Thanks

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #1,510 of 29,490
Also, if isolation is a must, Sennheiser's new PX 360 have the best passive isolation I've heard, are easily portable, super easy to drive, and sound on par with their price tag (~150)

I'd say they are one of the bassier Senns I have heard as well, without intruding on the mids.  If you like a little juice on the low end these might be a great option and fall well below your spending limit.

I've been meaning to write an extended review for some time now, I should get around to that.

Feel free to ask me specific questions about it if you like and I can respond/test for you.

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #1,511 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi all i have been reading here and researching on Google and to be honest the more i read the more i get confused, so i am asking if you guys could recommend some good headphone up to $700.Music i listen its little bit of everything r&b roc hip hop it really all depends what mood i am in, i am looking also for something that i can use with my ipod and that i can use at home for my computer, also i am planning to get amp in near future as well. Thanks heaps.

Denon D5000 is a strong all-rounder headphone, and will benefit from amping down the road. Other upgrades I highly recommend are the Jmoney leather earpads, which are much more comfortable and improve sound quality by improving the seal around your ear.

Quote:
I have been reading up on getting some new headphones for a few days now as my 485s are starting to get a little... boring. I've had them for over 5 years so it seems like it's time to move on. Most of the "comparisons" I will say will be in regard to how I feel about them, so if you've listened to them, you can probably know a little better where I am coming from.

1. Open-Air is a must! I will be using these... a lot right now. Between music 6+ hours at work and gaming at home with friends in skype (speakers not an option there), I will likely be wearing these almost the entire day at times.
2. The thicker the ear cushions, the better. My 485s let my ears rub the inside of the headphone frame, which gets very annoying after a few hours. It's really irritating to the point I sometimes have to just take them off for a while. So obviously, comfort is priority.
3. Preferably, they'd be great with an amp, and ok without. I don't really want to carry an amp with me everyday to work, etc. But at home, I'm definitely open to the idea of getting a $100-200 amp a few weeks down the road if it will help.

4. More bass than the 485s would be nice. I was looking at the 595s and they seemed to not have very good bass from what I read. At the very least, the 485s bass is mildly adequate, but I'd prefer it a little tighter and punchier.
5. These will not just be music, but also games and movies. Priority would be music, but I will game with them a few hours a day as well.

Price range is max $200. I'd prefer around $150, but if something that good is just out of reach of $150, I'm fine if it's a huge deal better. Looks are mildly important, but not THAT big a deal.

Thank you for your help!

I say stay within the Sennheiser family since that is what you are familiar with. Get an old 555 and 580 and mod them into the 595 or 600 respectively (very cheap to do), or try out the newer 558 (or 598, but I think that one is outside your budget if you buy new).

Quote:
Can someone tell me where's the cheapest to purchase the K701s ? :D

Amazon and ebay are typically good starting points to check prices. Find a reputable dealer online with an advertised price, then take that and show it to your local store and have them price match.

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #1,512 of 29,490
Armaegis, I like Sennheiser but how is the bass on those models? Most of the reviews I remember about the 485s said one of their strong points was bass, but the 500 series sennheisers say the bass is weak. I listen to a lot of Trance, hip hop, rap, etc. I listen to a lot of rock and alternative as well, so I don't want something where bass just drowns everything out, but I like to be able to hear it as well.

I was also looking at the ATH-AD700/900s, but I think the 900 is a little more than I'd want to spend. As long as the 595s have at least as much bass as the 485s I think I'd be fine with them though.

Feb 14, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #1,513 of 29,490

Quote:
Armaegis, I like Sennheiser but how is the bass on those models? Most of the reviews I remember about the 485s said one of their strong points was bass, but the 500 series sennheisers say the bass is weak. I listen to a lot of Trance, hip hop, rap, etc. I listen to a lot of rock and alternative as well, so I don't want something where bass just drowns everything out, but I like to be able to hear it as well.

I was also looking at the ATH-AD700/900s, but I think the 900 is a little more than I'd want to spend. As long as the 595s have at least as much bass as the 485s I think I'd be fine with them though.

I'd say the bass response in the 595 is tonally accurate and very, very weak.

Feb 14, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #1,515 of 29,490

Users who are viewing this thread

Back