++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 10, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #1,457 of 29,490
Hello, I'm looking for some headphones. I will be using them for rock music on my Denon AVR-3300, PC, Xbox gaming (mostly first person shooters), and ipod. I do not want to use a headphone amp. I'm looking to spend up to $150 U.S. I'm looking for something that will sound good with music, but also let me hear positional cues in gaming. I'm considering HD595 and AD700. From what I've seen on the forum, it looks like the AD700 is great for gaming, but will not shine for rock music. The HD595 looks like it might suit my music better, but I would lose the soundstage for gaming. Are there any other headphones I should be considering in this price range for my use? I currently do not own any higher end headphones. I had some nice Koss about 10 years ago til' they broke. Looking to get another nice pair of headphones. Currently I own PX100ii, which are nice for the PC or the ipod. Any thoughts?

Feb 10, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #1,458 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, I'm looking for some headphones. I will be using them for rock music on my Denon AVR-3300, PC, Xbox gaming (mostly first person shooters), and ipod. I do not want to use a headphone amp. I'm looking to spend up to $150 U.S. I'm looking for something that will sound good with music, but also let me hear positional cues in gaming. I'm considering HD595 and AD700. From what I've seen on the forum, it looks like the AD700 is great for gaming, but will not shine for rock music. The HD595 looks like it might suit my music better, but I would lose the soundstage for gaming. Are there any other headphones I should be considering in this price range for my use? I currently do not own any higher end headphones. I had some nice Koss about 10 years ago til' they broke. Looking to get another nice pair of headphones. Currently I own PX100ii, which are nice for the PC or the ipod. Any thoughts?

A used set of Beyerdynamic DT990s might work.  They have a huge soundstage and great directionality.  They are pretty bright though.  Too much for some people, like me.  That's why I got rid of mine.  I miss the soundstage though.

Feb 10, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #1,459 of 29,490

Quote:
Too late! I'm hooked before I even owned anything. Went ahead and cancelled the D2000s and gonna go for the D5000. I gotta go for a good amp next but that's another thread. Though, I do have another question. I want to get my daughter a good set of headphones. She's a classical music finatic just like her dad ; )  and I don't want something too bassy but maybe something with good soundstage that really separates the instruments with minimal simbilance (did I spell that right?). Any recommendations for under $100?

Good choice.  I owned 3 of the headphones on your list (SRH840, D5000, DT770-80) and D5000 were my favorite.  They do especially well with classical music.  Try your stereo for an amp- chances are that it'll perform nearly as well as a dedicated headphone amp.  If it works, save those pennies for a good inexpensive dac (e.g. used uDac) to feed it via $5 RCA cables.

Feb 10, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #1,460 of 29,490

Quote:

So...call me presumptious, but I dedited a nice green line of what seems to me the ideal. The DT-880 seems to be pretty damn close, and that there is the "normal" version, 250Ohm I believe. Treble seems (at least according to these graphs) right, bass...probably as well. DT880s - the weay forward? Or do I interpret too much into these curves? 

Maybe a Denon? D2000/5000 might be up your alley.

Quote:
if the ps500 had a better stage, it would be the only set I would actually use :)

Didn't you say the same thing about the MS400?
cool.gif

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #1,462 of 29,490
I need a recommendation.  I listen to mainly hip hop so I guess I want bass heavy.  I'm looking for a great pair of headphones up to $450.
I want DJ headphones because I wanna be able to plug into amps and what not as well as my ipod. My buddy pointed me toward Pioneer HDJ-2000.
What other headphones meet this criterion?

Thank you!

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #1,463 of 29,490

Quote:
I need a recommendation.  I listen to mainly hip hop so I guess I want bass heavy.  I'm looking for a great pair of headphones up to $450.
I want DJ headphones because I wanna be able to plug into amps and what not as well as my ipod. My buddy pointed me toward Pioneer HDJ-2000.
What other headphones meet this criterion?

Thank you!

Well, $450 really opens up a lot of possibilities. The HDJ-2000s are quite good, or so I've heard, but I bet you can do better with $450. The audio-technica ES10s are a pair of bassy portables that may be within your reach. I've also been enjoying the Ultrasone Pro 900s, which have a huge amount of bass. You might also want to consider buying a more inexpensive headphone and allocating part of your budget towards an amp to really bring out the former's potential.

I'm not sure what you mean by "DJ headphones" there, though. Every headphone can plug into an amp and an iPod, with the right adapter. It's not like they'll be incompatible.

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #1,464 of 29,490
Price it cost to buy in my country

atd ad900: 230USD
atd ad700: 115USD
SRH840:    200USD

which one is more worth buying?

also, MS1 (alessandro) cost 115USD, is it worth buying?

i listen to every kind of music, basically, i listen to songs which is on the chart

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #1,465 of 29,490
I had a pair of Creative Aurvana Live, and these CAL's lasted me a good year and half or so. But the other day the right earphone somehow detached so I'm on a quest now to find a replacement set.

I would totally buy another set of CALs but at the time I paid $50 for it at the time and now they are a good $100 on Amazon now for some reason. 

Basically looking for something with similar sound quality for about $50, but a little bit sturdier than my CALs which I always feared would break down at some point. Really hate the "portable" headphones because I want something that go over my ear but at this price point I know my options are kind of limited but was wondering what I'm looking for.

Really need something that's closed (minimal leakage) because these will mainly be for riding the bus and for media and music. Sound quality is the most important thing to me but I don't really like those mammoth JVCs which sound great but run extremely hot. Want some bass but I don't want the kind of headphones with the overbearing obnoxious type bass.

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #1,466 of 29,490
what are headphones as good / better sound than these http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297451335&sr=8-1 (portapro)
that is the same size or smaller (not in ear, fit in pocket), that does not leak sound and isolate sound better? (under $100)

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #1,467 of 29,490
Right. Am looking for cheap cans. £50 ish or less, pref less. New or used, i ain't fussed.

I guess on-ear because my husband's Superlux 681s hurt my jaws under my ears because they are so flipping huge and envelop my entire skull, but am open to suggestions.

I largely listen to tv shows on the lappy, rock, folk, pop. Want something even sounding, not huge on bass, not huge on treble either.

I get headaches really easily from cans squeezing my skull - in fact, i ebayed my behringer HPS5000s because they hurt my head - though they were what i wanted :/

So.... getting by with sony mdr -v150s at the mo, bored with them though they dont squeeze too tight.

Rec me some cans? ta.

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #1,468 of 29,490

Quote:

i listen to every kind of music, basically, i listen to songs which is on the chart

Of those options and at those prices, I would say the the AD700 or MS1 are your best choices. The AD700 is good for jazzy type music, and the Grados/Alessandros are always recommended for rock. If you want something bass heavy though, neither of these will satisfy you.

Quote:
I had a pair of Creative Aurvana Live, and these CAL's lasted me a good year and half or so. But the other day the right earphone somehow detached so I'm on a quest now to find a replacement set.

I would totally buy another set of CALs but at the time I paid $50 for it at the time and now they are a good $100 on Amazon now for some reason. 

Basically looking for something with similar sound quality for about $50, but a little bit sturdier than my CALs which I always feared would break down at some point. Really hate the "portable" headphones because I want something that go over my ear but at this price point I know my options are kind of limited but was wondering what I'm looking for.

Really need something that's closed (minimal leakage) because these will mainly be for riding the bus and for media and music. Sound quality is the most important thing to me but I don't really like those mammoth JVCs which sound great but run extremely hot. Want some bass but I don't want the kind of headphones with the overbearing obnoxious type bass.

Have you tried reading through Joker's huge portables thread? http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-65-portable-headphones-reviewed

The JVC Blacks might be suitable for you.

Quote:
what are headphones as good / better sound than these http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297451335&sr=8-1 (portapro)
that is the same size or smaller (not in ear, fit in pocket), that does not leak sound and isolate sound better? (under $100)

Sennheiser PX200ii, Ultrasone Zino, Nuforce UF-30, any of the mini AKG K4xx line. Your best isolation will probably be from the Senn and AKGs. The Senn has a nice balanced sound. the AKGs are probably the most rugged.

Quote:
Right. Am looking for cheap cans. £50 ish or less, pref less. New or used, i ain't fussed.

I guess on-ear because my husband's Superlux 681s hurt my jaws under my ears because they are so flipping huge and envelop my entire skull, but am open to suggestions.

I largely listen to tv shows on the lappy, rock, folk, pop. Want something even sounding, not huge on bass, not huge on treble either.

I get headaches really easily from cans squeezing my skull - in fact, i ebayed my behringer HPS5000s because they hurt my head - though they were what i wanted :/

So.... getting by with sony mdr -v150s at the mo, bored with them though they dont squeeze too tight.

Rec me some cans? ta.

Sennheiser PX100ii (or the original PX100 if you can find it) is one of the most comfortable cans I've ever worn. Senn HD228/238 are right up there as well. They are small and fit on the ear, with very little clamp.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #1,469 of 29,490

Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD900-Open-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B00070GXBS

The Ad900 are $200 now, jump on that and you won't be sad.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #1,470 of 29,490
Sennheiser PX100ii (or the original PX100 if you can find it) is one of the most comfortable cans I've ever worn. Senn HD228/238 are right up there as well. They are small and fit on the ear, with very little clamp.

cool - they look great, right about the right size. i wouldnt mind bigger ones, as long as they dont push in under my ears - its agonising.

Any other suggestions, anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back