++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 4, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #18,751 of 29,490
Quote:
2 Questions:

1) Top 5 BA IEM's arond $400 price mark

2) How effective are EQ's? For example, the Panasonic SHE 3580 is said to rival the Ety ER4P by user Joe Bloggs. Could you essentially do the same thing with a lush/colored headphone e.g. Miles Davis Tribute or something really bass heavy like Sennheiser IE8?

In general you want to start with headphones that are close to your ideal signature so that you can at least stand listening to them without EQ when necessary (youtube, podcasts, Spotify and whatnot; although there are ways to EQ just about any source if you try hard enough--e.g. VAC+VSTHost will EQ anything coming out of a computer and Rockbox will EQ anything out of a portable short of FM radio.)  But

1. You may not know what sound sig you want starting out and descriptions of sound sig online aren't very reliable, so if what you buy doesn't end up aligning with your tastes, it's better to EQ it than to let it be a doorstop (and an ineffective one at that)

2. After EQing, you can post your EQ results and ask around for a phone that differs from the set you bought in the way shown by the EQ.  That's a pretty precise description of the sound you want and can get you much closer to your goal

3. I still use my SHE3580 as beater go-everywhere phones with great sound quality.  With a full parametric EQ I am indeed hearing better sound than even stock etys.  Using EQ this way can get you sound quality and "beatability" (ability to financially withstand bumps and knocks that would put phones out of commission) in a combo that can't even be bought anywhere.

4. Done expertly, EQ (especially precise parametric EQ) can correct for sound aberrations that can't practically be corrected mechanically for a specific listener.  The most obvious example is half-wave resonance of the ear canal plugged by the IEM--the length of this plugged canal varies by listener and creates an unwanted response peak of frequency inversely proportional to the length of the plugged canal.  It can only be corrected by custom parametric EQ.

I write more about how to EQ in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 4, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #18,752 of 29,490
Bored and looking for my next headphone purchase. Just a heads up, my last two purchases I love equally, and they are the Audio Technica PRO700MK2 and Shure SRH440. Since I listen to mostly electronic and metal equally, both have their uses. Also note that I use my Android phone for music and have a Fiio E7 coming in the mail. I'm comfortable spending up to about $200-300, but not more because I abuse my gear and use them outside at work for the entire shift and also at home. I don't care about looks, but prefer plain black. I prefer them to be able to fold/flip out or fold down so that they are away from my chin and I can move and talk easier. The choices I have made are: - Shure 940 - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - AKG 550 - Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio No objections on the SRH940, if I love the SRH440, then I'll surely (shurely?) love these. I'll paint them black though. I'm interested in the Beyerdynamic COP, because they have slightly smaller earcups compared to their usual DT770/880 size. Also the adjustable slider sounds like it would be useful instead of swapping headphones. AKG 550's are maybe too fancy for me. Unless somone thinks they can take some abuse? The hinge design scares me a bit for something in this price. TMA-1 Studio. /shrug. I heard the TMA-1 DJ recently and if these a clearer, slightly less bassy version, then I'd probably like them. The thin shape might be just what I need to be more agile. Thoughts?

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #18,753 of 29,490
Quote:
So I currently have the Sennheiser HD 600s. Although they are quite enjoyable, I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones that can complement them. I want something that is very bassy, fun, and colored. In other words, something that is the opposite of the HD 600s. I've been very interested in the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm headphones which can be had for around $160 on Amazon. Would those be a good choice or would they just sound inferior to my HD 600s? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. My budget would probably be  under $200.

Thanks in advance!

The DT 990 has very exaggerated bass and treble. I remember it sounding thinner than the HD 580/600 because it has a heavily boosted mid bass, but the sub bass is still at about the same level as the DT 880. It's not incredibly forward either, putting you a couple of rows further away from the music than the HD 600. It's a technically competent headphone, just make sure that the treble levels work for you.

If treble doesn't work for you, you can try some Grados. I like the HF2 and PS500 since they have boosted bass, forward vocals, and can maintain a fast pace while remaining somewhat nonfatiguing. HE-400 also seems to be a common recommendation around here for a slight v-shaped signature with excellent bass extension.

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #18,754 of 29,490
I just recently moved into the world of tubes with my upgrade from the HDP to the wa6 and now I find myself, once again, itching to upgrade my hd600s in the near future.
I have done some research into some possible upgrades that fit my budget (<$500). I am open to any opinions or alternatives that might help me come to a firm and informed decision.

My current setup:
[DAC] Schiit Bifrost
[AMP] Woo Audio WA6 (newly added)
[Primary Headphone] Sennheiser HD600 (In the process of selling)

My short list as it stands:
Hifiman HE-400
Senn HD 650

Music (some of my favorite genres):
Classic Rock
Jazz
Classical
Old School Hip-hop
R&B
Country (a little)

I want to note that my experience with the hd600s were for the most part positive, which is a reason why I have been considering simply upgrading to the 650s.
That said, I am not adverse to trying something new/different.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #18,755 of 29,490
Quote:
I just recently moved into the world of tubes with my upgrade from the HDP to the wa6 and now I find myself, once again, itching to upgrade my hd600s in the near future.
I have done some research into some possible upgrades that fit my budget (<$500). I am open to any opinions or alternatives that might help me come to a firm and informed decision.

My current setup:
[DAC] Schiit Bifrost

Hifiman HE-400
Senn HD 650

Classic Rock
Jazz
Classical
Old School Hip-hop
R&B
Country (a little)

I want to note that my experience with the hd600s were for the most part positive, which is a reason why I have been considering simply upgrading to the 650s.

The HD 650 is darker and bassier than the HD 600 and it's usually not considered a definite upgrade. It's a slightly different version of a similar sound.

The HE-400 gets a lot of love around here for making the ortho sound affordable. Some think it's close to the HE-500 for a lot less money and the HE-500 is definitely a tier above the 600 series Senns. Reviews usually mention the excellent sub bass.

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #18,756 of 29,490
Hi guys, I'm a new member of head-fiers family but I've been following u guys a long time. I just need some advice for my next headphone.

I currently own a Sennheiser HD 595 which is open air but I don't really like the fact that people can hear my music. Also, I tend to go outside alot nowadays so it's not my perfect choice anymore :frowning2: It's good at home though :)

Can you guys recommend some headphone for me which I can use at home, library, or even outside at the park? I can afford a pair of headphone in $80-$150 price range and I really want it to be durable to last a long time. Also I need a comfortable headphone because I listen to music for approx 6-8 hrs everyday :D I'm not the "basshead" person so I really love something that has bass but not over-power. I listen to ballad, R&B, Pop, Acoustic, and some Hip Hop type of music :)

All help is appreciated. Thank you, guys.

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #18,757 of 29,490
Quote:

My current setup:
[DAC] Schiit Bifrost

Hifiman HE-400
Senn HD 650

Classic Rock
Jazz
Classical
Old School Hip-hop
R&B
Country (a little)

Your listed options, while different than the 600, are lateral moves.  Your next step up is logically the HE-500.

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #18,758 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys, I'm a new member of head-fiers family but I've been following u guys a long time. I just need some advice for my next headphone.

I currently own a Sennheiser HD 595 which is open air but I don't really like the fact that people can hear my music. Also, I tend to go outside alot nowadays so it's not my perfect choice anymore :frowning2: It's good at home though :)

Can you guys recommend some headphone for me which I can use at home, library, or even outside at the park? I can afford a pair of headphone in $80-$150 price range and I really want it to be durable to last a long time. Also I need a comfortable headphone because I listen to music for approx 6-8 hrs everyday :D I'm not the "basshead" person so I really love something that has bass but not over-power. I listen to ballad, R&B, Pop, Acoustic, and some Hip Hop type of music :)

All help is appreciated. Thank you, guys.

Coming from the 595, you should like the KRK KNS 8400.  For a little more bass (and a bit less in the highs), you can select the Shure SRH 840.  Both arrive with replaceable cables.  The Shure has an extra pair of ear pads.

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #18,759 of 29,490
Quote:
Coming from the 595, you should like the KRK KNS 8400.  For a little more bass (and a bit less in the highs), you can select the Shure SRH 840.  Both arrive with replaceable cables.  The Shure has an extra pair of ear pads.

Thank you so much, I was just looking at Audio Technica ATH M50s because it's ranked #4 on the headphone category and it's in my budget but I'm not sure those ranking is any good ^^ Thank you anyway :D 

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #18,760 of 29,490
Quote:
Thank you so much, I was just looking at Audio Technica ATH M50s because it's ranked #4 on the headphone category and it's in my budget but I'm not sure those ranking is any good ^^ Thank you anyway :D 

While the rankings here are worth a look, I would not rely upon them as a rank order of quality.

You might note that the M50S, currently ranked #4, is exactly the same headphone as the M50, which is ranked #34--except the M50 has a coiled instead of a straight cable.

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #18,761 of 29,490
Quote:
While the rankings here are worth a look, I would not rely upon them as a rank order of quality.

You might note that the M50S, currently ranked #4, is exactly the same headphone as the M50, which is ranked #34--except the M50 has a coiled instead of a straight cable.

That's why I got confused :)) and are there any more headphone that u would recommend for me? I just need some more choices cuz of style :p

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #18,762 of 29,490
Quote:
That's why I got confused :)) and are there any more headphone that u would recommend for me? I just need some more choices cuz of style :p

Sorry--I'm much too old to worry about or be a good judge of current style for yutes.  The Ultrasone HiFi 780 has a bit more bass and is just above the top of your budget by a handful and a half of dollars.

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #18,764 of 29,490
Quote:
Your listed options, while different than the 600, are lateral moves.  Your next step up is logically the HE-500.

I see what you are saying, but my problem lies with my budget limitations. The HE-500  I would love to step up to the he-500, but unless I am able to spot a decent 2nd hand deal I could not see myself getting them.

As steve2151 mentions below, the he-400 is in some ways the younger brother of the he-500 that provides similar sound with a more affordable price tag. That was my train of thought that lead me to seriously consider the he-400.

The HD 650 is darker and bassier than the HD 600 and it's usually not considered a definite upgrade. It's a slightly different version of a similar sound.

The HE-400 gets a lot of love around here for making the ortho sound affordable. Some think it's close to the HE-500 for a lot less money and the HE-500 is definitely a tier above the 600 series Senns. Reviews usually mention the excellent sub bass.

There seems to be a consensus that the hd650 cannot be called a upgrade from the hd600.
I might have to look that over and rethink the hd650, but thanks for the useful impressions on both the he400 and hd650.

Putting that aside, could someone suggest some headphones that might give me a more clear upgrade from the hd600 while keeping under $500 (and at the very most $550-$600). I am finding my list/options dwindling unless I were to wait a bit longer to move into a higher price point.

Edit -- Thinking on it, I am perhaps not looking for a clear upgrade due to the budget I have placed on myself but instead just something new/slightly different to replace my old hd600 headphones.

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #18,765 of 29,490
Quote:

I see what you are saying, but my problem lies with my budget limitations. The HE-500  I would love to step up to the he-500, but unless I am able to spot a decent 2nd hand deal I could not see myself getting them.

As steve2151 mentions below, the he-400 is in some ways the younger brother of the he-500 that provides similar sound with a more affordable price tag. That was my train of thought that lead me to seriously consider the he-400.

There seems to be a consensus that the hd650 cannot be called a upgrade from the hd600.
I might have to look that over and rethink the hd650, but thanks for the useful impressions on both the he400 and hd650.

Putting that aside, could someone suggest some headphones that might give me a more clear upgrade from the hd600 while keeping under $500 (and at the very most $550-$600). I am finding my list/options dwindling unless I were to wait a bit longer to move into a higher price point.

Edit -- Thinking on it, I am perhaps not looking for a clear upgrade due to the budget I have placed on myself but instead just something new/slightly different to replace my old hd600 headphones.

Audio Advisor has a demo HE-500 for $615 and Amazon has a "like new" for $620.  You won't be sorry you spent the extra few $ once you hear them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back