++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 3, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #18,737 of 29,490
Quote:
It was on sale at the Danish hifi store Hi-Fi Klubben: http://www.hifiklubben.dk/produkter/tilbehor/hovedtelefoner/denon_ah-d600_hovedtelefon.htm at dkr 3.000 which is aprox €400

Damn, shipping to the United States must cost more than just buying them here in the U.S. 
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #18,738 of 29,490
Hey! I'm looking for a good pair of closed over-ear headphones under $500. I listen to mostly hardcore/metal, but a lot of other genres as well and I listen on my 160GB iPod Classic (just AAC files), hopefully I'll be getting a Fiio E7 as an amp soon.

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 558 and they're awesome! Just not good for on-the-go use seeing as their open, have a huge cable and bulky jack. So pretty much what I'm looking for is:

- Closed
- Over-ear
- Good for metal/hardcore
- Under $500
- Short cable
- Good for on-the-go

Thanks!

P.S. The new Sennheiser Momentum is looking AWESOME, any idea if they might suit my needs? Also been looking at the Denon AH-D600EM, but I'm favouring the Momentum. Of course, I'm open to any other suggestions.

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #18,741 of 29,490
Quote:
OK, everyone, here is my situation:

Currently own:  AKG K701 + Sennheiser HD650.   Using my high-end Onkyo reciever as headphone amp (and its headphone out is very capable, it can drive even the Hifiman HE6s well).    

I alternate between the two headphones depending on what style of music I am listening to (701 for classical/acoustic/jazz/experimental, HD650 for rap, electronic, rock, basically anything bass heavy).

I am not happy with either headphone:  I mourn the lack of bass impact on the K701, but mourn the HD650's dearth of soundstage, imaging, and top-end clarity that are the K701's strengths.   

- Thusly I am in the process of determining a suitable headphone upgrade that combines the strengths of both of these headphones.  I am leaning (heavily) towards the Beyerdynamics T1.    

-Also considering the Hifiman HE500, but, from what I understand, their soundstage will not be as good as the T1.   Is this true???     

- Audeze are out of the question (can't afford the LCD3, and the LCD2 do not have the wide open soundstage that I like about the K701s.  Furthermore, I am not interested in leather earpads; I prefer velour)

-Sennheiser HD800 don't have the bass that I love about the HD650s, thus they are out of the question.   HD 700 don't seem to offer comparable bass performance either. 

-Grados are out of the question (I find them overpriced, especially their higher-end models)

-Not interested in Audio-Technica or Denon

To reiterate:   are the Beyerdynamic T1 my solution headphone - my ideal replacement for both the 701s AND the HD650s?   Or are the Hifiman 500's also a worthy alternative, despite their smaller soundstage?    I would also consider the Hifiman HE6's, but I will buying used, and I have not seen too many used HE6's for sale.   

Edit:  would it be a sin to repost this somewhere on the Summit-Fi board, since it seems that I am mainly considering Summit-fi grade headphones here?   If I do not get enough helpful responses on this thread I will repost this on that board. 

You're going to get your best answers at Summit-Fi, as those are the folks who best know all the high end cans.

What I can tell you is that the HE-500 is hands down the best buy in the upper level of the market--even if it might not have the price tag to get there.  Being a planar, the HE-500 is quite heavy on the head. They are darker and slower than the T1, which is a good, if usually very expensive (when bought new), solution to your issue.

Sep 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #18,742 of 29,490
2 Questions:

1) Top 5 BA IEM's arond $400 price mark

2) How effective are EQ's? For example, the Panasonic SHE 3580 is said to rival the Ety ER4P by user Joe Bloggs. Could you essentially do the same thing with a lush/colored headphone e.g. Miles Davis Tribute or something really bass heavy like Sennheiser IE8?

Sep 3, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #18,743 of 29,490
Quote:
2 Questions:

2) How effective are EQ's? For example, the Panasonic SHE 3580 is said to rival the Ety ER4P by user Joe Bloggs. Could you essentially do the same thing with a lush/colored headphone e.g. Miles Davis Tribute or something really bass heavy like Sennheiser IE8?

You posted this in the "Headphones (full-size)" forum. You'll have better luck posting in the "Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors" forum.

Sep 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #18,744 of 29,490
Quote:
2 Questions:

KG is probably going to kick you to a different section :p but to answer your question...  EQing is a bad substitute for a sound signature you like.  I personally don't know too much about IEMs, but you would probably be pretty safe with the Ety ER4P.

Sep 3, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #18,745 of 29,490
Quote:
KG is probably going to kick you to a different section :p but to answer your question...  EQing is a bad substitute for a sound signature you like.  I personally don't know too much about IEMs, but you would probably be pretty safe with the Ety ER4P.

Someone else beat me to it!  Glad you could help the poster.  However, it benefits everyone, especially those asking questions, when folks post in the correct sections of the forum.  Nice to see that this thread is so popular, as reflected by "everyone" wanting to post their questions here about nearly everything.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #18,746 of 29,490
This is a comment about the HARX-300, which someone inquired about.

The HARX-300 are my 17-year old son's daily use headphone.  He is a good trombone and marching band baritone player.  They are bass heavy, efficient, comfortable, and isolate rather well.  I bought three pairs for $10 each on sale at H.H. Gregg around Christmas 2011.  They were also on sale for $10 at Fry's for a while in fall 2011.  I gave him one for Christmas, and then another when the first one broke.  I have one at work that I rarely use.  At one point, I preferred it to the Sennheiser HD-201 (a more neutral but less extended headphone; also twice as expensive and non-quite circumaural), but I have not listened to HARX-300 for too long to make a good comparison.  I suspect you will be satisfied with the HARX-300 for a starter headphone.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #18,747 of 29,490
I have to disagree on the comment that the Samson SR850 and the ATH-AD700 are of similar quality.  I have owned both the Samson SR850 and the ATH-AD700 for a while.  The ATH-AD700 is a better can in detail, soundstage, speed, and just overall musicality and realism.  The Samson does not even have much of an advantage in the bass department.  I also happen to agree with Tyll Heystens that the Samson (or the equivalent Superlux) is unlistenable because of its shrill highs, but I guess that may be an issue of "sound signature" and could be tamed with proper equalization.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #18,749 of 29,490
Quote:
I have to disagree on the comment that the Samson SR850 and the ATH-AD700 are of similar quality.  I have owned both the Samson SR850 and the ATH-AD700 for a while.  The ATH-AD700 is a better can in detail, soundstage, speed, and just overall musicality and realism.  The Samson does not even have much of an advantage in the bass department.  I also happen to agree with Tyll Heystens that the Samson (or the equivalent Superlux) is unlistenable because of its shrill highs, but I guess that may be an issue of "sound signature" and could be tamed with proper equalization.

This is Tyll's Summary of his review of the Superlux HD 668B & HD 681:

"Assuming you have the ability to EQ out 7-10dB of treble energy above about 5kHz I think these make an excellent entry-level can for a budding headphone enthusiast on a tight budget and I'll gladly recommend them under those circumstances. But excessive high frequencies make these cans too harsh to recommend broadly, and lack of good isolation make these a poor choice for recording studio work, or for travel and commuting purposes. "

Link to entire review:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/superlux-hd-668b-and-hd-681-headphones

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #18,750 of 29,490
So I currently have the Sennheiser HD 600s. Although they are quite enjoyable, I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones that can complement them. I want something that is very bassy, fun, and colored. In other words, something that is the opposite of the HD 600s. I've been very interested in the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm headphones which can be had for around $160 on Amazon. Would those be a good choice or would they just sound inferior to my HD 600s? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. My budget would probably be  under $200.

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back