++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 16, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #15,511 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey i wanna find out what the best way to downsample my vinyls for my cowon z2.i know it cant play 24bit/96khz so should i convert it to 16/44.1? ive converted it to 24/44.1 and the size isnt much different from 16/44.1 so should keep it in that format for the pmp or use 16/44.1 and what the best software to do it with to retain quality? further information i downsampled by converting 24/96->24/44.1 wav-->24/44.1 flac to tag.any advice would be appreciated,thank you.

You're in the wrong section of the forum. This section is for full sized headphones.  You probably need to post here:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/46/computer-audio

Jun 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #15,512 of 29,490
I'm looking for a pair of headphones in the $150 range (am willing to use eBay and the like). They need to look good (will be using them at school), sound good, isolate well enough (don't need active noise cancelling) and be built well. I don't like on-ears, so please only give suggestions for over-ears and in-ears. Also, I don't like the look of wood headphones. I prefer the look of metal (like V-Moda's line of products) I will be using these at school, and for gaming. I'd prefer them to be foldable, but it's not a must. 

I don't claim to be an audiophile, and the highest-end headphones I've ever heard are Skullcandy GIs. I do know that I'd like a good bass response, though. 

I've been looking at:

V-Moda Crossfade LP and LP2
Skullcandy Aviators
House of Marley Redemption Song

Please give recommendations for me. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #15,513 of 29,490
I'm new to really nice headphones and I'm looking to buy a pair for mostly at home use, and sometimes at school. I mainly listen to Classic rock and cello music on my ipod . I've looked around the forums and read some reviews and I've narrowed it down to a few.
AKG k702
Sennheiser PXC 450
Beyerdynamic DT 990
Denon AHD2000

Any suggestions on which is best would be very much appreciated. And also I barely even know what an amp is so if any of these need one, or anything like that, advice would be wonderful.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #15,514 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for a pair of headphones in the $150 range (am willing to use eBay and the like). They need to look good (will be using them at school), sound good, isolate well enough (don't need active noise cancelling) and be built well. I don't like on-ears, so please only give suggestions for over-ears and in-ears. Also, I don't like the look of wood headphones. I prefer the look of metal (like V-Moda's line of products) I will be using these at school, and for gaming. I'd prefer them to be foldable, but it's not a must. 

I don't claim to be an audiophile, and the highest-end headphones I've ever heard are Skullcandy GIs. I do know that I'd like a good bass response, though. 

I've been looking at:

V-Moda Crossfade LP and LP2
Skullcandy Aviators
House of Marley Redemption Song

Please give recommendations for me. 

It depends mostly what kind of music you like. The LP2s were designed to sound like a dance club in your head. They have visceral bass. While not my cup of tea (I listen to a lot of jazz, and not at loud volumes) I do use them for gaming. They isolate well. If you want to be super cool, you can get custom plates for them with your own design.

The Aviators lean towards a more "neutral" sound, with less bass than you usually get with fashion headphones. Good if you like a wide variety of genres and not just pop and club music. I can't remember offhand how well they isolated when I tried them in the Apple Store.

I'm not familiar with the last ones.  I hope that helps though.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #15,515 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm new to really nice headphones and I'm looking to buy a pair for mostly at home use, and sometimes at school. I mainly listen to Classic rock and cello music on my ipod . I've looked around the forums and read some reviews and I've narrowed it down to a few.
AKG k702
Sennheiser PXC 450
Beyerdynamic DT 990
Denon AHD2000

Any suggestions on which is best would be very much appreciated. And also I barely even know what an amp is so if any of these need one, or anything like that, advice would be wonderful.

Wow--that's a list of very different cans.  Specifically what drew you to each of them?

The Senn has active noise cancellation.   The AKG is open (or semi open) and is a detail monster.  The Beyer [you did not say which Ohm version(s) you are considering] is open and has "V" shaped EQ.  The closed Denon is also "V" shaped but has a very different tonal quality and lots of sub-bass.  They are so different it is difficult to know where to start.

Unless you have a specific need for active noise cancellation, ditch the Senn.  If you have that need, look to only that type of can.

The AKG definitely will need an amp.  Whether the Beyer needs an amp--and if so--which one, will depend on which Ohm version you prefer.  The Denon will serve you best with an amp.

Do you listen to MP3 or better quality music files?

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #15,516 of 29,490
Quote:
AKG k702
Sennheiser PXC 450
Beyerdynamic DT 990
Denon AHD2000

Some things to note about the above headphones: 

K702s: These are quite large and don't have much isolation, so if you're taking them anywhere where the environment is noisy they wont be so great.
PXC450s: These are noise cancelling and fairly large too. You lose some sound quality in exchange for that.
DT990s: Like the AKGs, they are quite large and don't isolate much.
Denon: Also large and heavy and while closed-back, don't isolate so well. They aren't as strong as their metal design suggests so may not hold up to a lot of travel.

The AKGs sound almost the opposite of the Beyers and Denons, being more mid-forward. The latter two are more mid-recessed which may be a bit less suited to the kind of music you like in some respects, though I used to listen to jazz through a pair of D5000s so I shouldn't talk. :wink:

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #15,517 of 29,490
Quote:

Wow--that's a list of very different cans.  Specifically what drew you to each of them?

The Senn has active noise cancellation.   The AKG is open (or semi open) and is a detail monster.  The Beyer [you did not say which Ohm version(s) you are considering] is open and has "V" shaped EQ.  The closed Denon is also "V" shaped but has a very different tonal quality and lots of sub-bass.  They are so different it is difficult to know where to start.

Unless you have a specific need for active noise cancellation, ditch the Senn.  If you have that need, look to only that type of can.

The AKG definitely will need an amp.  Whether the Beyer needs an amp--and if so--which one, will depend on which Ohm version you prefer.  The Denon will serve you best with an amp.

Do you listen to MP3 or better quality music files?

I've decided It's really between the Denon and the Beyer 32 ohm, and I listen to MP3 files from my ipod mostly.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #15,518 of 29,490
Quote:
I've decided It's really between the Denon and the Beyer 32 ohm, and I listen to MP3 files from my ipod mostly.

Then it probably comes down to which sound signature you like and whether you want open or closed cans.  Both are large and not well suited for portable use for that and other specific reasons (that vary with each choice).

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #15,519 of 29,490
I'm sorry, I made a new thread minutes ago because I hadn't seen this 

I have been searching for the past week for my next pair of headphones, but it has been really hard to decide which one and I'm not able to test any in my area.

I listen literally to ALL genres, from trash metal to bossa nova, I need them to be closed and portable but I would rather an over ear design, since I want to use them at home and at school.

What I don't like:
Harsh sound

Boomy bass

I know it's too much to ask but if you have an opinion about how they would perform as a studio monitor, please let me know.

I have owned:

Grado SR-80i - Still, got them, I found their highs to be at the limit of what I would start to consider harsh, and lack a little bit of bass punch.

Sennheiser HD 555 - I liked their overall sound, but they lacked bass, and I felt like they needed an amp, but I never got one. I no longer own them.

Sennheiser HD 428 - Meh, lacked overall strenght, a good start.

Some crappy $20 Sonys ;D - No comment

Thanks in advance :)

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #15,520 of 29,490
Quote:

Then it probably comes down to which sound signature you like and whether you want open or closed cans.  Both are large and not well suited for portable use for that and other specific reasons (that vary with each choice).

Well, I think it's time I made up my mind, I've been debating between pros and cons for a while and I just need to make a decision.Someone even recommended the Grado SR225i, and they sound like something I would like. All in all I really have no idea what my preferences are, I've tried so many things and loved them all, so it's not really a gamble. Thank you for your input, it helped me narrow it down.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #15,521 of 29,490
Quote:
Well, I think it's time I made up my mind, I've been debating between pros and cons for a while and I just need to make a decision.Someone even recommended the Grado SR225i, and they sound like something I would like. All in all I really have no idea what my preferences are, I've tried so many things and loved them all, so it's not really a gamble. Thank you for your input, it helped me narrow it down.

The 225i is the sweet spot in the Grado SR line.  If you like the Grado sound and are OK with open cans, they are a great choice. 

In any case let us know what you selected and how you think it sounds and works for you after burn in and some ear time.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #15,522 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm sorry, I made a new thread minutes ago because I hadn't seen this 

I have been searching for the past week for my next pair of headphones, but it has been really hard to decide which one and I'm not able to test any in my area.

I listen literally to ALL genres, from trash metal to bossa nova, I need them to be closed and portable but I would rather an over ear design, since I want to use them at home and at school.

What I don't like:
Harsh sound

Boomy bass

I know it's too much to ask but if you have an opinion about how they would perform as a studio monitor, please let me know.

I have owned:

Grado SR-80i - Still, got them, I found their highs to be at the limit of what I would start to consider harsh, and lack a little bit of bass punch.

Sennheiser HD 555 - I liked their overall sound, but they lacked bass, and I felt like they needed an amp, but I never got one. I no longer own them.

Sennheiser HD 428 - Meh, lacked overall strenght, a good start.

Some crappy $20 Sonys ;D - No comment

Thanks in advance :)

What will these headphones be plugged into?  Do they need to be closed?  What is your budget?

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #15,523 of 29,490
They will be plugged mainly into a Samsung Galaxy S II and a M-Audio FastTrack.

I would really rather closed cans, but if there is an open pair that slays anything else, I would consider it, but yeah, closed :)

Oh, and my budget is 150, 180 if it is really necessary.

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #15,524 of 29,490
Quote:
They will be plugged mainly into a Samsung Galaxy S II and a M-Audio FastTrack.
I would really rather closed cans, but if there is an open pair that slays anything else, I would consider it, but yeah, closed :)
Oh, and my budget is 150, 180 if it is really necessary.

Since it appears that you will be using them unamped, check out the Sony MDR-V900HD, Sony MDR-7506 & (newer) 7510, Ultrasone HiFi 780 and KRK KNS-6400 (for the least money of any on this list).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back