++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #15,481 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I want neutral can which has very deep, very tight and very punchy bass up to being neutral which doesn't bleed into the mid-range at all, want mids which should not recessed nor the center image of the sound signature. I want treble which is smooth and extends very well aka I want smooth very extended treble. Very good soundstage, instrument separation all of this under $200. I have 2 cans in my mind - Fischer Audio FA-003 and Beyerdynamic DT1350

You're not going to get all that new (and maybe not used) for under $200.

Jun 15, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #15,482 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for:

1. closed headphones (no IEMs, they cause a mild sense of pressure in my head after a while)
  2. decent amount of isolation
  3. comfortable enough to wear for the entire work day (with a few breaks here and there)
  4. can be driven either without an amp or with an entry level amp like my Portaphile V2
  5. acceptable for general music listening (most genres)
  6. < $350 - $400

If anyone has a recommendation, I'd love to hear it.  Thanks!

Sony MDR-V900HD,  Sony MDR-7520.

Jun 15, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #15,483 of 29,490
Reposting my question here~

Looking for an upgrade from my headset and wanting better sound for my music and stuff. Currently, I narrowed it down to the AKG K550 and K701/702. I mainly listen to Anime, JPop, OSTs (sound tracks), and sometimes electronic. Alot of the music I listen have vocals as well.

I currently have an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card in my computer, and the headphones will be mainly plugged in there. Can the sound card be able to power these headphones? Or I have to get an amp to really make these headphones shine?

I been reading alot on both of the headphones and hearing alot of mix stuff with them, can anyone point me in the right direction? Or even suggest better headphones? That would be great!

Thanks in advance for the advice :3

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #15,484 of 29,490
I'm looking for a closed pair of headphones for progressive metal, I will be using these in an open-office environment, at home I use (and love) my grado sr80i.
My upper price range is $250, has to be a bit less if they require an amp.
I was looking at the beyer dt 770 pros but the upper mid trough put me off quite a bit.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Velour/velvet earpads are a plus, portability isn't a concern as they will be used at my desk.

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #15,485 of 29,490
I would definitely recommend the K701s for vocals because I own a pair and they are great; wonderful midrange and incredible detail. You cannot really go wrong with these but if you are really into electronic music then i would suggest the Denon AH-d2000 or d5000 is you have the cash. I have both the D2000 and K701.

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #15,486 of 29,490

Quote:
I currently have an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card in my computer, and the headphones will be mainly plugged in there. Can the sound card be able to power these headphones? Or I have to get an amp to really make these headphones shine?

The STX has a built in headphone amplifier which can easily power most high impedance headphones (asus say up to 600ohm)

Jun 15, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #15,487 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for a closed pair of headphones for progressive metal, I will be using these in an open-office environment, at home I use (and love) my grado sr80i.
My upper price range is $250, has to be a bit less if they require an amp.
I was looking at the beyer dt 770 pros but the upper mid trough put me off quite a bit.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Velour/velvet earpads are a plus, portability isn't a concern as they will be used at my desk.

As a Grado lover, you might like the Ultrasone Pro 750.  They need and amp though...

Jun 15, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #15,488 of 29,490
Quote:
Reposting my question here~

Looking for an upgrade from my headset and wanting better sound for my music and stuff. Currently, I narrowed it down to the AKG K550 and K701/702. I mainly listen to Anime, JPop, OSTs (sound tracks), and sometimes electronic. Alot of the music I listen have vocals as well.

I been reading alot on both of the headphones and hearing alot of mix stuff with them, can anyone point me in the right direction? Or even suggest better headphones? That would be great!

Thanks in advance for the advice :3

Don't know your genres, but having heard from another poster that your sound card can push them, I recommend the Q 701 over the three you have listed.  In the States it's cheaper than all of them as well.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #15,489 of 29,490
Quote:

No offense to the OP--but color me amazed!  Recently we have seen more than a couple of folks who are looking for $150 closed cans that are great for gaming, movies, mutiple kinds of music; have a great sound stage; fantastic frequency response; even better sound; are very durable; are portable; don't need an amp; and have detachable cables. [or something very similar] They don't exist.  If you ever find them (other than on sale for 30 seconds) please tell all of us.  We want to buy them too!

What I can suggest is that you read this thread and tell us what might best meet your needs (I doubt it will be $150 or even $200):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-6-10-2012-ultrasone-pro-2900-added-many-edits

Next--it's helpful that you told us what you don't like, but please give us more of an idea of what sound signature you want.  You may  have to listen to a few cans or at least read some reviews to accomplish this.  The fact is we can't help very much unless we know.

Let me rephrase. I'm not looking for for "great sound and a great soundstage" and I could care less about the quality of the frequency response. I've stated my priorities. They are build quality, decent isolation, and comfort. I think I can get that with $200. I'm coming to you guys because I think you're qualified to tell me what headphone I can get that satisfies all of those and will supply me with the best sound possible... for under $200.

Again, build quality(including detachable wire), decent isolation, comfortable. Can't I get those 3 properties with <$200? If not, then I stand corrected.

If i can't get all of it, at least tell me where to start looking... I'm willing to make compromises in quality, what I'm not willing to do is spend $500 on a pair of headphones.

KG Jag... what do you think about the 3 choices I've narrowed my search down to... which would you recommend for me (unless you have something else in mind)
Shure SRH840
Brainwavz HM5
KRK KNS6400

They all seem to meet my 3 requirements outside of SQ.. and they're all $100-150... I just don't know enough about sound quality to be able to pick the best one for me?

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #15,490 of 29,490
Hey guys, I know this may not be the right thread, and i may have posted about this before but, here we go. 

Im looking for someone to make custom molded ear plugs for me, professionally, I just bought a motorcycle and learned about how loud wind noise can be, and I know ill use them considering how much loud noise im around either at work, home, or on the new favorite hobby. 

So how much does it usually cost for professional custom molded hearing protection? Who usually does it? (what company is good or whatever) Are there different material choices? Like latex, silicon, foam etc.? How much is it usually for an extra pair?

Any information much appreciated, DD.  

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #15,491 of 29,490
Quote:

Let me rephrase. I'm not looking for for "great sound and a great soundstage" and I could care less about the quality of the frequency response. I've stated my priorities. They are build quality, decent isolation, and comfort. I think I can get that with $200. I'm coming to you guys because I think you're qualified to tell me what headphone I can get that satisfies all of those and will supply me with the best sound possible... for under $200.

Again, build quality(including detachable wire), decent isolation, comfortable. Can't I get those 3 properties with <$200? If not, then I stand corrected.

If i can't get all of it, at least tell me where to start looking... I'm willing to make compromises in quality, what I'm not willing to do is spend $500 on a pair of headphones.

KG Jag... what do you think about the 3 choices I've narrowed my search down to... which would you recommend for me (unless you have something else in mind)

Shure SRH840--Best sound of the three: neutralish with mid-bass hump; great mids for the price range.  Will work out of many portable devices without an amp, but it works better amped.  Build quality it a problem if you're rough or careless with them.  I find them to be comfortable; some others don't.  Isolation is decent.

Brainwavz HM5--neutral but on the bland side.  Come with case and many extras.  Initially clamp hard but will probably be OK with stretching and use.  Has the best isolation of the three.

KRK KNS6400--Excellent value and maybe the best/safest choice if unamped.  Solid "B" across the board.

They all seem to meet my 3 requirements outside of SQ.. and they're all $100-150... I just don't know enough about sound quality to be able to pick the best one for me?

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #15,492 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I know this may not be the right thread, and i may have posted about this before but, here we go. 

Im looking for someone to make custom molded ear plugs for me, professionally, I just bought a motorcycle and learned about how loud wind noise can be, and I know ill use them considering how much loud noise im around either at work, home, or on the new favorite hobby. 

So how much does it usually cost for professional custom molded hearing protection? Who usually does it? (what company is good or whatever) Are there different material choices? Like latex, silicon, foam etc.? How much is it usually for an extra pair?

An audiologist can do the impressions, for me it was $20NZD and I imagine it would be similar (if not cheaper) in the US.

try 1964s (http://1964ears.com/products_solid_earplugs.html $50) I havent bought their solids, but I own a pair of their dual armature custom IEMS and am very happy.

They also offer 'musicians earplugs' (http://1964ears.com/products_musician_earplugs.html) which are solid except for a small opening with a seal, these will let small amounts of noise through (may be useful to hear other vehicles around you) although I havent heard of anyone using these on a bike.

Good luck.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #15,493 of 29,490
Quote:
As a Grado lover, you might like the Ultrasone Pro 750.  They need and amp though...

I have been looking at them actually, sadly I cant hear them locally anywhere (nor can I hear most headphones locally) and I also cant seem to find much information online (headfi reviews, freq resp graphs, etc.).

I do love my grado sr80i, at times they can be slightly too harsh but they just sound awesome most of the time. Maybe a little less bright could be good, but im not sure.

What kind of amping would the pro 750s need?

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #15,494 of 29,490
Quote:
An audiologist can do the impressions, for me it was $20NZD and I imagine it would be similar (if not cheaper) in the US.

try 1964s (http://1964ears.com/products_solid_earplugs.html $50) I havent bought their solids, but I own a pair of their dual armature custom IEMS and am very happy.

They also offer 'musicians earplugs' (http://1964ears.com/products_musician_earplugs.html) which are solid except for a small opening with a seal, these will let small amounts of noise through (may be useful to hear other vehicles around you) although I havent heard of anyone using these on a bike.

Good luck.

Ah I quite like the pricing on the solid ones, quite a bit cheaper than JH audio. While the solids im sure will be good enough for any type of noise reduction, for the bike I may opt for musicians plugs, as I would like to hear vehicles around me. Im thinking -15db probably. thanks a bunch for the input. And that would be awesome to get impressions done for that cheap, but I get the uneasy feeling that it will be more. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #15,495 of 29,490
Quote:
Ah I quite like the pricing on the solid ones, quite a bit cheaper than JH audio. While the solids im sure will be good enough for any type of noise reduction, for the bike I may opt for musicians plugs, as I would like to hear vehicles around me. Im thinking -15db probably. thanks a bunch for the input. And that would be awesome to get impressions done for that cheap, but I get the uneasy feeling that it will be more. 

Before you send your impressions away make sure to photograph them and email 1964 (or whoever you go with) pictures of them, my first set didnt go far enough into my ear canal.

Id also email them about the musicians plugs for biking with as Im not sure what kind of sound levels you will be dealing with.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back