Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 23, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #436 of 75,337
Hi ClieOS

I just got MX985 and SWD2. MX985 has a very dense sound which reminds me of Re272. Unfortunately I don't have Re272 anymore from memory Re272 has fuller sound and perhaps more information. What's your take on this?

SWD2 is very smooth and quite mid-centric, effortless detail. I found it very enjoyable and non-fatiguing at first but over time the sound is a bit too sweet for me. MX985 is realistic and textured, SWD2 is about smoothness and sweetness. Even though the overall sound is very well balanced, SWD2 lacks presence in the lower end so missing quite some instrument there.

I will keep burning these in see how they changes.

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #437 of 75,337
  I just got MX985 and SWD2. MX985 has a very dense sound which reminds me of Re272. Unfortunately I don't have Re272 anymore from memory Re272 has fuller sound and perhaps more information. What's your take on this?

Yes,you are right. MX985 does share a good portion of its sound signature with RE272. However, MX985 does has a bigger soundstage while RE272 has a bit more upper detail, which are not surprisingly given one is earbuds while the other is IEM,

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #438 of 75,337
I forgot to mention that the fit of MX985 isn't as bad as I thought. They are smaller than on the photos. I have trouble with M2C and OK2 but this fits quite well, I have yet to see if I can wear these for longer period of time.

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #439 of 75,337

I just ordered a pair of DIY PK2 since I couldn't find I couldn't find cheap PK3 in europe.
Cheap as they get, 7$ shipping included: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-HIFI-YUIN-PK2-DIY-boutique-sound-quality-of-the-headphones-powerful-bass-wood-headset/854376207.html

Offtopic: Do portapros/sportapros have better sound than the KSC75?

Wow! Are those genuine? Maybe this is where the ebay guy has been getting them?

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #443 of 75,337

Does that mean we have been scammed?

No, I think that the cheap PK2 from Aliexpress are different from the PK3 from the Ebay seller.

There are other mods of PK2 on Aliexpress:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ancient-line-diy-earphones-yuin-pk2-hifi/776501012.html
(I think this is the same seller as on Ebay)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Diy-ancient-earphones-yuin-pk2-pakwai-silverstrand-rainmaker/1121170771.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Diy-yuin-pk2-earphones-heatshrinked-high-pitch-mould/713737107.html
(this one looks much like the cheap one linked to in an earlier post. Also it looks like my pair of modded PK3)

Apparently there are many modders in China and they get their parts from pretty much the same place...

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #446 of 75,337

I just ordered a pair of DIY PK2 since I couldn't find I couldn't find cheap PK3 in europe.
Cheap as they get, 7$ shipping included: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-HIFI-YUIN-PK2-DIY-boutique-sound-quality-of-the-headphones-powerful-bass-wood-headset/854376207.html

Offtopic: Do portapros/sportapros have better sound than the KSC75?

I prefer portapros. I find the KSc75 too bright, but it's totally up to personal preference.

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #447 of 75,337
I bought the GR07 MK2 (first IEM ever), I tried all the tips and not a single one made me feel comfortable wearing it. The sound with the right tip for me is great, but in terms of  comfortability is a pain in the ass. I don't get how anyone can wear these for more than 30 minutes without discomfort. I've been recomended the Comply Comfort tips but im scared I will buy them for nothing and I have the possibility to return the GR07 and get the money back so... I think I will not risk it. I just want to buy an earbud (or whatever you call this, an earphone that doesn't need you to stick the tip INSIDE your ear canal), it has to sit comfortably outside the ear and barely be noticeable so I can wear them for a long time. It also has to have the best isolation and sound quality possible WITHOUT compromising comfortability.
It would be great if they are good enough to produce with them besides casual usage. I have headphones as my main weapon for production but the headband gives me a headache after a while, so I want to take rests with a super comfortable non-headband device at night (i cant use speakers at night)
Thanks

Oct 9, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #449 of 75,337
  I bought the GR07 MK2 (first IEM ever), I tried all the tips and not a single one made me feel comfortable wearing it. The sound with the right tip for me is great, but in terms of  comfortability is a pain in the ass. I don't get how anyone can wear these for more than 30 minutes without discomfort. I've been recomended the Comply Comfort tips but im scared I will buy them for nothing and I have the possibility to return the GR07 and get the money back so... I think I will not risk it. I just want to buy an earbud (or whatever you call this, an earphone that doesn't need you to stick the tip INSIDE your ear canal), it has to sit comfortably outside the ear and barely be noticeable so I can wear them for a long time. It also has to have the best isolation and sound quality possible WITHOUT compromising comfortability.
It would be great if they are good enough to produce with them besides casual usage. I have headphones as my main weapon for production but the headband gives me a headache after a while, so I want to take rests with a super comfortable non-headband device at night (i cant use speakers at night)
Thanks

IEM just needs some getting used to. Most people will eventually find them comfortable enough in the long run. Of course, there will be some that will never get used to it. The point is, if you never want to get used to it, you'll never do. But it is a decision you have to make.

There is really no such thing as an earbuds with isolation. It would be like double-decker bus with sport car handling. You just can't have them all.

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #450 of 75,337
Thanks

In terms of comfort I don't think anything beats the Yuin PK line, but it depends on the size of your ear entrance. If you have big ear entrance you might find the bigger earbuds as comfortable, in which case, judging by the appreciation of everyone I know which tried them, the best buy right now might be the Sennheiser MX 985. If you have ears like mine, you will prefer the Yuin PK3 (cheaper and don't need amp), or the Yuin PK1 (better but as expensive as MX 985 and people say it needs a good amp), but it might be worth it if you plan to produce music with them. Another thing I dislike on the Sennheiser are the controls on the cable which add some weight and might get trapped in clothes, but this is a personal annoyance as it seems.

NOTE: Take my advise with a grain of salt because it is mostly based on what I read here and in my experience with the following headphones: Yuin PK3 (2 pairs), Sennheiser MX560 (2 pairs), Sennheiser CX300, Audio Technica ATH M-50 and AKG K550.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back