Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 26, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #70,381 of 75,673
I do not know of any graphs for Yincrow RW-3000.
I found the graph for ST-10s Gold (150 Ohm) posted in this thread by @ClieOS.
Great, found another one.
Yeah, that spike at 1-3Khz is definitely audible. :disappointed:

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #70,382 of 75,673
Great, found another one.
Yeah, that spike at 1-3Khz is definitely audible. :disappointed:
10dB seems conservative already. My measurements of smabat buds show 15-20dB ear gain.

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #70,384 of 75,673
So appearantly I just pick up an docomo ntt earbud style with the driver have an orange blue like dot on the driver and the sound pretty like the new variant docomo ntt earbud can someone explain to me that have ever you met a driver like that and can I have some image of the driver of new variant docomo earbud pls,thanks.
1687830964046.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #70,385 of 75,673
So appearantly I just pick up an docomo ntt earbud style with the driver have an orange blue like dot on the driver and the sound pretty like the new variant docomo ntt earbud can someone explain to me that have ever you met a driver like that and can I have some image of the driver of new variant docomo earbud pls,thanks.
Yours seem new variant docomos.
new variant docomo.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #70,387 of 75,673
Sorry i post the wrong photo this is the correct ones.
It's hard to tell from the picture, but if the driver cover plastic is light gray, it's a new variant of docomo...

Edit: New variant of docomos have light gray or dark gray or black plastic driver cover.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #70,389 of 75,673
Sure :)SAMPLE.jpg

1) Rn(same as DD R)+Cn - good balance bass and highs;
2) R10+Cn - good bass but so so highs;
3) without Zobel;
4) classic == mx500 shell

Capactior more than 1uF
Hmmm, are you measuring this on a 3D printed canal that's all the rage in the DIY Bud community?

And just to be clear, you're connecting the the components per this schematic?
Screen Shot 2023-06-26 at 10.37.20 PM.png

Thanks bro! It's nice to see someone else probing the mysteries of earbud design and measurements. It's where the Angels fear to tread.

Jun 27, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #70,391 of 75,673
Hmmm, are you measuring this on a 3D printed canal that's all the rage in the DIY Bud community?

And just to be clear, you're connecting the the components per this schematic? Screen Shot 2023-06-26 at 10.37.20 PM.png

Thanks bro! It's nice to see someone else probing the mysteries of earbud design and measurements. It's where the Angels fear to tread.
yes yes, like this :)

Jun 27, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #70,392 of 75,673
Howdy folks, has anyone tried to harvest these drivers for DIY project? I guess they would sound nice with MX500 shells and a bit of tuning

98E721EF-7454-400F-AFA0-1002E98FC6BA.jpeg

Jun 27, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #70,393 of 75,673
yes yes, like this :)
It’s interesting because a zobel shouldn’t be able to change the frequency response unless possibly you are using a high output impedance amp. I know people who use them in full range configurations or even tweeter circuits, but not because of anything measurable in the frequency domain, but because they believe they hear a difference for the better…. Theoretically because the amp is happier driving a constant load. They will certainly allow other reactive, passive components to work more like theory would predict, and that’s been their tradition use.

Are you saying “yes” to the ear canal as well?

Thanks again. Sorry for so many questions.

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #70,394 of 75,673
Some short impressions of the
Rikubuds Alter Rider 3

Rikubuds_4.jpeg

It comes well accessorized. Other than the earbuds, these are included:
1) Semi rigid zipper clam shell case
2) White high-density foams
3) Red medium-density foams
4) Black low-density foams

Rikubuds_Accessories.jpeg

Do foam roll to see what suits your preferences - generally, the white denser foam would add warmth/bass, whereas the thinner black ones would make the sonics brighter and thinner. One can even combine 2 sets of foams (double foam) to add girth and increase warmth if you would like.

The Alter Rider 3 utilizes a RG39 earbud housing, and comfort is top notch, no complaints at all for this department. The buds fit snugly in the ear, and the ergonomics are well-designed with the long stem nicely nested within the intertragal notch of the ear. So far, I've tested the RG39 for the past 2 hours without any discomfort whatsoever.

The Alter Rider 3 is not that easy to drive, and scales with amplification.

Rikubuds_1.jpeg

The Alter Rider 3 uses an innovative Soundsphere technology. Essentially, there are pyramid shaped diffusing breakers within the housing, which reduces unwanted resonances via dispersing and redirecting acoustic waves. I think this may be the first time that this special concept is applied in earbuds, so kudos to such a brave - but thankfully successful - implementation of something considered uncharted waters for DIYers.

image3.png

Now on to sound - impressions below are with the white high density foams. Initial testing done with Questyle M15 dongle. The Alter Rider 3 is neutralish in tonality.

The Alter Rider 3 has exquisite timbral accuracy, and it is a joy to use it with genres featuring acoustic genres such as jazz and classical.

Technicalities are superb. Soundstage is quite expansive in all 3 dimensions, and instrument separation and imaging are commendable. Even with very complex riffs in music with competing instrumentation, the Alter Rider 3 handles these with ease.

Like most traditional earbuds, the bass is focused in the mid-bass, with some sub-bass roll-off. The quantity of bass is neutral, but this earbud goes for quality over quantity, with a very textured bass, zero mid-bass bleed and lightning fast speed. On my go-to test track for bass quality - Sting's Englishman in New York - the Alter Rider 3 showcases nice texture for bass lines, and aces the complex bass solo in the middle of this song.

The midrange is the star of the show. The lower midrange is very transparent, with no bass bleed to impinge here, with a dark background allowing instruments to be layered nicely. The upper mids are boosted and vocals are forwards without veering too much to shouty territory (at moderate volume levels). Vocal and midrange lovers will have a field day and there's something really magical about this bud's synergy with acoustic tunes.

The treble carries on from the upper mids boost, with decent air and sparkle. The treble is quite well-dosed in my opinion, there is minimal sibilance or splashiness of cymbals/high-hats, and it should be safe for treble sensitive folk. I really like that the Alter Rider 3 does not have the fake resolution/clarity that a lot of CHIFI use to trick the ears (via overly boosting the treble for fake details). Details and nuances can still be heard on this earbud, and the tuning is kind of monitor like in that way.

Rikubuds_2.jpeg

I'll be burning in this earbud and will report back with A/B comparisons, but ballpark, I would say that the Alter Rider 3 can be rightly classed as a TOTL bud from my first 2 hours with it. Perhaps only bassheads might wanna look elsewhere, but for most others, the Alter Rider 3 scores high in most departments.

Jun 27, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #70,395 of 75,673
Some short impressions of the
Rikubuds Alter Rider 3

It comes well accessorized. Other than the earbuds, these are included:
1) Semi rigid zipper clam shell case
2) White high-density foams
3) Red medium-density foams
4) Black low-density foams

Do foam roll to see what suits your preferences - generally, the white denser foam would add warmth/bass, whereas the thinner black ones would make the sonics brighter and thinner. One can even combine 2 sets of foams (double foam) to add girth and increase warmth if you would like.

The Alter Rider 3 utilizes a RG39 earbud housing, and comfort is top notch, no complaints at all for this department. The buds fit snugly in the ear, and the ergonomics are well-designed with the long stem nicely nested within the intertragal notch of the ear. So far, I've tested the RG39 for the past 2 hours without any discomfort whatsoever.

The Alter Rider 3 is not that easy to drive, and scales with amplification.

The Alter Rider 3 uses an innovative Soundsphere technology. Essentially, there are pyramid shaped diffusing breakers within the housing, which reduces unwanted resonances via dispersing and redirecting acoustic waves. I think this may be the first time that this special concept is applied in earbuds, so kudos to such a brave - but thankfully successful - implementation of something considered uncharted waters for DIYers.

Now on to sound - impressions below are with the white high density foams. Initial testing done with Questyle M15 dongle. The Alter Rider 3 is neutralish in tonality.

The Alter Rider 3 has exquisite timbral accuracy, and it is a joy to use it with genres featuring acoustic genres such as jazz and classical.

Technicalities are superb. Soundstage is quite expansive in all 3 dimensions, and instrument separation and imaging are commendable. Even with very complex riffs in music with competing instrumentation, the Alter Rider 3 handles these with ease.

Like most traditional earbuds, the bass is focused in the mid-bass, with some sub-bass roll-off. The quantity of bass is neutral, but this earbud goes for quality over quantity, with a very textured bass, zero mid-bass bleed and lightning fast speed. On my go-to test track for bass quality - Sting's Englishman in New York - the Alter Rider 3 showcases nice texture for bass lines, and aces the complex bass solo in the middle of this song.

The midrange is the star of the show. The lower midrange is very transparent, with no bass bleed to impinge here, with a dark background allowing instruments to be layered nicely. The upper mids are boosted and vocals are forwards without veering too much to shouty territory (at moderate volume levels). Vocal and midrange lovers will have a field day and there's something really magical about this bud's synergy with acoustic tunes.

The treble carries on from the upper mids boost, with decent air and sparkle. The treble is quite well-dosed in my opinion, there is minimal sibilance or splashiness of cymbals/high-hats, and it should be safe for treble sensitive folk. I really like that the Alter Rider 3 does not have the fake resolution/clarity that a lot of CHIFI use to trick the ears (via overly boosting the treble for fake details). Details and nuances can still be heard on this earbud, and the tuning is kind of monitor like in that way.

I'll be burning in this earbud and will report back with A/B comparisons, but ballpark, I would say that the Alter Rider 3 can be rightly classed as a TOTL bud from my first 2 hours with it. Perhaps only bassheads might wanna look elsewhere, but for most others, the Alter Rider 3 scores high in most departments.
Kudos on the shape of those shells! Very cool. Unfortunately those little nubs are way too small to effect any audible wavelengths (for humans) in any meaningful way. That's why no other company uses anything like that--they understand the fundamentals of acoustics (and beyond). I like the creative advertising however. They could have other structural benefits, but definitely not diffusion. So much creative thinking these days. It's really sort of a shame that these creative energies are not placed into gaining insight into the fundamentals of electronics and acoustics. We can definitely go above the realms of snake oil selling. This is all 101 level stuff and there are several books that can explain all of these concepts and prevent misconceptions. Even if someone bought The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook of any vintage these mistakes could be avoided. These last couple days have been rather discouraging. This type of thing is ongoing in the hobby and often vehemently supported. A google search on acoustic diffusion or 'Zobel Networks' in loudspeakers could correct the course as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back