Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 12, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #64,726 of 75,283
Guess who's lifetime supply of Fiio Bass Foams showed up today? This guy! 😁🤘

Sep 12, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #64,727 of 75,283
You mean drilling extra holes behind the horse shoes?
No, but that’s an interesting idea as well—one I’ve never done though I’ve done holes with foams for sure. I mean opening up the faux port. It has a similar effect to drilling a hole except that it effects is a bit deeper. Certainly doesn’t work for all drivers however. I only have suspicions about why it works for some drivers and not others. Drilling a hole always “works”.

Sep 12, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #64,729 of 75,283
Sweet bro! Use them wisely, they are powerful things.... :wink:
You know I will. The funny thing is, I have come to use them on a number of my buds, but I don't use them on the FF3s. I actually currently use my own offset donut foams made from Hiegis inspired by the offset foams that @assassin10000 (I think?) posted about making himself on my FF3s.

P.S. I also got a brand new SPL meter rig for volume matched testing amongst other things. I love package arrival days! 😍

Sep 12, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #64,730 of 75,283
551F9D07-D198-4D45-ACE9-B4E2631EC1F5.jpeg

Routine: practice, compare to recording of Perlman, cry, repeat :dt880smile:

What buds do you use today, folks?

Are you refering to Itzhak Perlman? I think I spelled that right. Just wondering if I have the right guy in mind.

Sep 12, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #64,731 of 75,283
I recommend either FiiO FF3, Yincrow RW2000, or Yincrow RW3000 (for a bit more money). They are all great for the type of music you want. The FF3 has the best staging of all of those though. The RW3000 is the brightest of all of them (but still rounded). The RW2000 are a great all-rounder with nothing too far boosted or recessed.

I can't speak to the Calf, as I don't have them, nor have I read on here about anyone having them yet.
Fiio FF3 is quite a popular choice in Head-fi with few pages of discussion already. I think is best i wait for a removable MMCX for the next upgrade for FF3. It's very possible changes in their new release. I also not too sure with the "drum"earbud could sit steady on my ear when i exercise my neck. (it's hard to resist not to headbanging on my music..)
As for Calf's review which i read from China forum, the most detailed review one by far compared to its own RW leagues. The Calf got introduce the soundstage came from RW3000 but not as fully grand yet. There is Depth in Calf had succeed what Yuin PK 1 couldn't deliver. Calf is getting tinnier, less weight and more relaxing for longer listening session. It's mid is less crispy and sparkling like RW-2000. So, it is less fatigues for comfort listening.
If Calf can WoW me like a "headphone", i would consider RW3000 for the Top Flagship in Yincrow. They only releasing One Earphone model in a year. They couldn't afford to fail the product anticipation.

Here's a link if you are interested.

https://shopee.tw/音可若瓦-yincrow-小牛-天牛旗艦技術下放-RW-777-MKII-金屬平頭耳塞发燒耳機hifi-超es100-i.13390068.9358136803?sp_atk=8c20b031-72fa-42f6-8eaf-400bf37774dc&xptdk=8c20b031-72fa-42f6-8eaf-400bf37774dc

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #64,732 of 75,283
Are you refering to Itzhak Perlman? I think I spelled that right. Just wondering if I have the right guy in mind.

Yup, he’s the man. I can never remember the spelling of his first name, but a violinist once told me that “Perlman is pearl, man!”, so I can remember his last name :dt880smile:

Finally working on the FF3 review. I’m surprised that it’s midrange is actually nearly identical to Blessing 2. You know, the current benchmark of “well tuned”.

Sep 12, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #64,733 of 75,283
As @samandhi recommended, the Fiio FF3s sounds like they would be absolutely spectacular for your musical preferences. The FF3s have the low end power, the larger soundstage, and a huge presentation that should be awesome for that stuff.

The two other buds that I own that seem like possible matches would be the Ucotech ES-P1s and the Simphonio Dragon 3s. I think the Dragon 3s might be a little too polite for some of your preferences though they do have a soundstage that is very over ear like. The ES-P1s sound a lot like a good over ear as well and they have a good low end as well, but I think the FF3s would be better for musical acts similar to the ones you mentioned.

I hope this helps!
FF3 will be on my radar in for its upgrade version. Just hope it won't taking many years as earbuds development is slower than IEM market today.
I had checked the Korea Ucotech ES-PS1. The whole earbuds engineering is an eye-opening dark science to me.
i haven't came across this model during my research.
I am hesistate to pay over mid-budget price point for the Listening joy.
Yeah, it's hard to find Flagship earbuds in the store for auditioning.

Do you have ES-PS 1 in using at the moment? This could be potentially the End-game earbuds for me by its overall Looks and Quality built.
Just wondering Older FLagship earbuds technology would be replace by mid-budget earbuds after a year or so?
Guess this is quite a common trend in IEM market today.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #64,734 of 75,283
I was thinking 80mW is not that bad. My BTR5 is 80mW max output via 3.5mm. And then I remember BTR5 is 80mW@32ohm, this is 80mW@500ohm :beyersmile:

Thanks mate. I have never heard Perlman in real life. I remember in one of the interviews, he said that he had to play slower because the reverb in the concert halls make his high-speed passages sound sloppy. Can’t even imagine his speed and precision.

The last violin concert that I attended was by an Australian violinist named Ray Chen. His control over dynamic and phrasing is breath taking. I recommend his Sibelius and Mendelssohn.

Very nice!. That MX500 buds seem so well finished. Mine has molding seams and tool marks all over. Did you do anything to improve the finish?

And how do you tune those wooden buds? I don’t see any vents.
I used stock MX500 shells, I didn't do anything to them. The wooden shells have 3 holes at the top (6 o'clock) which I covered with Y3

15.4mm MX500 Speaker unit Earphones DIY Shell Case Red Sandalwood Flat Earphones Shells
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msYLFtS

4 Pairs 15.4mm Earphone Shell Case MX500 DIY Speaker Unit Shell Case Flat Headphone Housing Baking Varnish Craft
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMmqrCC

Sep 13, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #64,735 of 75,283
FF3 will be on my radar in for its upgrade version. Just hope it won't taking many years as earbuds development is slower than IEM market today.
I had checked the Korea Ucotech ES-PS1. The whole earbuds engineering is an eye-opening dark science to me.
i haven't came across this model during my research.
I am hesistate to pay over mid-budget price point for the Listening joy.
Yeah, it's hard to find Flagship earbuds in the store for auditioning.

Do you have ES-PS 1 in using at the moment? This could be potentially the End-game earbuds for me by its overall Looks and Quality built.
Just wondering Older FLagship earbuds technology would be replace by mid-budget earbuds after a year or so?
Guess this is quite a common trend in IEM market today.

I do own the ES-P1s and they are in fact my favorite earbud I own or have heard if I had to pick just one. On top of sounding wonderful and very much in line with an over ear headphone presentation they are as beautiful and well built as it gets. There is a fantastic review right here on head-fi and another from Headfonics that I will link below. I can say that I own and have tried some of the best earbuds around from new ones to all-time greats from the 80s like the Aiwa HP-V99 and the ES-P1s continue to impress me in new ways every time I listen to them.

For instance, just the other day I was listening to a bunch of prog rock that many IEMs and earbuds struggle with because they have trouble creating adequate staging, layering, and imaging in comparison to over ears which is a shortcoming prog tracks will quickly expose. With the ES-P1s I had to literally keep reminding myself that I was listening on an earbud. Furthermore, as a professional drummer I can tell you that they have some of the most realistic instrument presentation and timbre, especially when it comes to drums, that I have heard and I don't just mean for an earbud, I mean for any transducer medium.

The Ucotech ES-P1s were actually one of the first premium earbuds I picked up and I have listened to many TOTL and flagship offerings since then as I have continued to build my collection and I can say that my opinion of how impressive they are has only grown stronger rather than being diminished by the experience of comparing them to the best of what's available. As with anything in audio, whether or not an earbuds works for you is an entirely subjective experience so at some point you have to either demo it or research and take a leap of faith based upon what others say about a particular pair of buds, but for me these have been worth every penny I paid for them and if I lost them or they were stolen I would absolutely buy them again and in fact I did since my girlfriend decided she needed a pair for herself and started stealing mine whenever I wasn't around. It's important to note that I have been with her for almost 8 years, she has her own impressive headphone and IEM collection and she has never before stolen/borrowed/hijacked any of my sets for her own use since her tastes are often quite different from mine, but the ES-P1s are impressive.

Review links:

https://headfonics.com/ucotech-es-p1-review/

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ucotech-es-p1.23734/reviews

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #64,736 of 75,283
I do own the ES-P1s and they are in fact my favorite earbud I own or have heard if I had to pick just one. On top of sounding wonderful and very much in line with an over ear headphone presentation they are as beautiful and well built as it gets. There is a fantastic review right here on head-fi and another from Headfonics that I will link below. I can say that I own and have tried some of the best earbuds around from new ones to all-time greats from the 80s like the Aiwa HP-V99 and the ES-P1s continue to impress me in new ways every time I listen to them.

For instance, just the other day I was listening to a bunch of prog rock that many IEMs and earbuds struggle with because they have trouble creating adequate stagining, layering, and imaging in comparison to over ears which is a short coming prog tracks will quickly expose. With the ES-P1s I had to literally keep reminding myself that I was listening on an earbud. Furthermore, as a professiobal drummer I can tell you that they have some of the nost realistic instrument presentation and timbre, especially when it comes to drums, that I have heard and I don't just mean for an earbud, I mean for any transducer medium.

The Ucotech ES-P1s were actually one if the first premium earbuds I picked up and I have listened to many TOTL and flagship offerings since then as I have continued to build my collection and I can say that my opinion of how impressive they are has only grown stronger rather than being diminished by the experience of comparing them to the best of what's available. As with anything in audio, whether or not an earbuds works for you is an entirely subjective experience so at some point you have to either demo it or research and take a leap of faith based upon what others say about a particular pair of buds, but for me these have been worth every penny I paid for them and if I lost them or they were stolen I would absolutely buy them again and in fact I did since my girlfriend decided she needed a pair for herself and started stealing mine whenever I wasn't around. It's important to note that I have been with her for almost 8 years, she has her own impressive headphone and IEM collection and she has never before stolen/borrowed/hijacked any of my sets for her own use since her tastes are often quite different from mine, but the ES-P1s are impressive.

Review links:

https://headfonics.com/ucotech-es-p1-review/

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ucotech-es-p1.23734/reviews
Waoh... There would be rounds of rounds of applause i could feel if you are making a product review over the ES-PS1. Since morning, I had search hi & lo over Asia forum. This is a quiet flagship out of radar. Either there's no one dare to touch with its hefty price as Earphones. Or just everyone had been sucked into IEM Flagship price is more reasonable craze of spending.

This statement from Headfonics had boosted my excitement.
"Yep, it sounds even more forward than my Zen 2.0 and the older Yuin PK series. Don’t get me wrong, Yuin was a monster back then with the PK1, but with the most respect, my PK1 sounds like its broken compared to the ES-P1."
There's a youtuber claimed this earbuds are very Bad choice for contemporary Electronic music. These earphones is more for vocalist or unprocessed vocals. You did mentioned its excellent even for Progressive Rock. And that's the problem i encountered when the reviewer music taste are far vary from mine. Same situation goes around when i listened to Asian guys high-praised the audio stuff but their music are from Japanese/China/Taiwan pop songs... by worse anime soundtrack with hyper decibel BPM as auditioning sample. (Well, my music is total garbage to them in vice versa...haha).
Your girlfriend is so lucky to enjoy your massive set of listening gears.
I would only using a pair of premium earphones at home to avoid any misery pain later.

Astrotec Lyra Nature Dynamic Limited Edition Green with 150 Ohm.

I read the head-fi review seems not recommended. Funny thing here is over Headfonics with a High Rating.
Can this get closer/similar presentation to ES-PS1 in yours?
This earphone is easier for me without oversea purchasing to avoid the extra Tax.

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #64,737 of 75,283
236240666837094399.jpg

Probably haha, never heard any yinman before. also the to300 using this lcp driver with the 300 ohm variant. Ohh i remember someone mention that the ff3 and trn emx probably use the same driver, i mean checkout the driver spec, very similiar, it is 45 ohm, 14.2mm and BE plated, except for the sensitivity haha
I'm using these particular drivers on my own MX500 Build. It's basically the 300ohm version of the popular 120/130LCP. Stock form, it's a warm non-fatiguing listen but with some easy tuning you can increase the pinna gain abit and turn it into something of a better reference pair, although treble might be lacking to some.
1663052117600.png
It seems that for these LCP variants, the lesser the impedance, the brighter it gets it seems.. There's a 32ohm, 80ohm, 120/130ohm (impedance readings will only roughly measure to those two values anyway hence the slash) and the 300ohm version.

Sep 13, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #64,738 of 75,283
I'm using these particular drivers on my own MX500 Build. It's basically the 300ohm version of the popular 120/130LCP. Stock form, it's a warm non-fatiguing listen but with some easy tuning you can increase the pinna gain abit and turn it into something of a better reference pair, although treble might be lacking to some.
1663052117600.png
It seems that for these LCP variants, the lesser the impedance, the brighter it gets it seems.. There's a 32ohm, 80ohm, 120/130ohm (impedance readings will only roughly measure to those two values anyway hence the slash) and the 300ohm version.

Somehow I only ended up with the 80, 120, and 300 versions in LCP when I went on my DIY driver ordering binge. Looks like I need to go back and pick up the 32ohm version. Thanks for the info and nice buds! I like the understated silver/white on black look.

Sep 13, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #64,739 of 75,283
I
Waoh... There would be rounds of rounds of applause i could feel if you are making a product review over the ES-PS1. Since morning, I had search hi & lo over Asia forum. This is a quiet flagship out of radar. Either there's no one dare to touch with its hefty price as Earphones. Or just everyone had been sucked into IEM Flagship price is more reasonable craze of spending.

This statement from Headfonics had boosted my excitement.
"Yep, it sounds even more forward than my Zen 2.0 and the older Yuin PK series. Don’t get me wrong, Yuin was a monster back then with the PK1, but with the most respect, my PK1 sounds like its broken compared to the ES-P1."
There's a youtuber claimed this earbuds are very Bad choice for contemporary Electronic music. These earphones is more for vocalist or unprocessed vocals. You did mentioned its excellent even for Progressive Rock. And that's the problem i encountered when the reviewer music taste are far vary from mine. Same situation goes around when i listened to Asian guys high-praised the audio stuff but their music are from Japanese/China/Taiwan pop songs... by worse anime soundtrack with hyper decibel BPM as auditioning sample. (Well, my music is total garbage to them in vice versa...haha).
Your girlfriend is so lucky to enjoy your massive set of listening gears.
I would only using a pair of premium earphones at home to avoid any misery pain later.

Astrotec Lyra Nature Dynamic Limited Edition Green with 150 Ohm.

I read the head-fi review seems not recommended. Funny thing here is over Headfonics with a High Rating.
Can this get closer/similar presentation to ES-PS1 in yours?
This earphone is easier for me without oversea purchasing to avoid the extra Tax.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm not trying to be an advertiser for Ucotech and I think the guys here that have seen my comments on other earbuds will tell you that I try to be honest when I don't like something and I always try to explain why I feel the way I do, good or bad, about a particular pair of earbuds. I genuinely hate it when people overhype products and make unrealistic or hyperbolic claims about them. So with that in mind, I think what I said about the ES-P1s was accurate and it comes off sounding like a really good review for them because, IMO, they earn the praise.

That's brings me to the Astrotecs. The other folks on this thread may have seen my short writeup about the Astrotec Lyra Collections which are the only Astrotec earbuds I have listened to. So unfortunately I can't comment directly on the Natures, but FWIW I thought the Collections were nice, but they didn't really excel at anything and were overpriced for the performance they offered. If you search this thread for Astrotec Lyra Collection you should be able to find the post I made about them if you're interested in checking it out. I went on to sell them after listening to them a few times because it didn't make sense to keep around a pretty expensive set of earbuds that I wasn't likely to listen to very often. I don't want to try to comment too much from memory here because they didn't stand out much and that post would be more accurate and should be easy to find.

As for the ES-P1s not being good for electronic music, I'm not too sure because I don't listen to much EDM, electonica, drum n bass, etc. I will say that given how the excel at the natural sounds of non electronic instruments and sounds, I could see that kind of thing being outside of the ES-P1's area of expertise. On the other hand, they certainly have the low end reach and the physicality to their bass reproduction that makes them sound awesome with tracks with powerful bass lines. If you give me some tracks or artists you'd like me to listen to with the ES-P1s I'd be happy to give them a whirl and get back to you on how they perform.

Sep 13, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #64,740 of 75,283
1663052117600.png

Your buds have very elegant and harmonious color scheme. Seems like a killer piece of head-fi gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back