Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 25, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #63,781 of 75,235
I know this question has probably been asked at least a million times here, but I'm bored and would like to see what the answers are.

If, for whatever reason, you were forced to get rid of your entire collection except for a single pair of earbuds, what pair of buds are you keeping? It has to be a pair you currently own and of course you are supposed to assume that you are allowed to keep whatever source/DAC/amp/combo that you need to run them properly.
I'm listening to my Newbsound 32x out of my Soekris dac2541/Lyr 3 pairing and it's hard for me to imagine a more satisfying listen for the types of music I listen to (at the moment, Wilco's latest). Then again, I have the FF3s coming tomorrow, so that might change...

Aug 25, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #63,782 of 75,235
I was finally able to properly (well at least to my limited knowledge) EQ my EM5s to a comfortable listening profile.

I changed my bluetooth source from Shanling UP5 to Earsone ES100 MK2. Before you blast me for not getting a Qudelix-5K, I was totally planning to get one. They were cheap on Amazon Japan even ...until I looked at the shipping price which was the same price as the unit.

Problems with the UP5
1) No belt clip -> fixed with the ES100
2) Bluetooth connectivity problems forced me to connect with "Best effort" rather than "Best quality" -> fixed with the ES100
3) Kinda chonky. I mean not compared to a regular DAP, but considering you still need your phone to play I wanted something small. -> fixed with the ES100
4) EQ is totally unusable and changes don't persist between sessions -> fixed with the ES100
5) Buttons are hard to use intuitively and I routinely made mistakes -> mostly fixed with the ES100

So after fiddling with the EQ for a while I was able to get a profile that gets rid of some of the harshness (to my ears) of the EM5s. It is a breath of fresh air to listen to them now. I had mentioned before that sometimes I liked to switch to my Blessing 2 IEMs for more clarity. I don't feel like I need to do that anymore. The Blessing 2s will probably be relegated entirely to train duty. I think the bulk of the change is from EQ, but bluetooth connectivity issues on the UP5 were also stopping me from the highest quality data transfer.

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #63,786 of 75,235
The part when they brag about their bass extension and measurement has a footnote that "normal listening condition without foam", so I guess that they measure without foam.
I'm sure that they measure every possible combination, with and without foam. For their marketing material, they will selectively choose the one shows what they want to highlight about the product. That's how it works in all businesses selling to the public.

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #63,787 of 75,235
I'm listening to my Newbsound 32x out of my Soekris dac2541/Lyr 3 pairing and it's hard for me to imagine a more satisfying listen for the types of music I listen to (at the moment, Wilco's latest). Then again, I have the FF3s coming tomorrow, so that might change...

I have never heard the Newbsound 32x, but the FF3s are a great earbud regardless so I'm sure they'll find a place in the rotation. You'll have to let me/us know how you like them.

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #63,790 of 75,235
diy thread isn't very active
any of the particularly pinna sensitive people have any suggestions on particular buds or drivers and tuning materials for those? is there any way to dampen pinna in general?

Aug 25, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #63,793 of 75,235
I need some help. I'm using kbear stellar for 2 years now and i really like the sound signature but i want a upgrade that has detachable cable, right now im thinking of buying either the TRN EMA or the RY4S mmcx, do you have some recommendations in the same price range?
TRN EMA all the way...! They are amazing! I can't seem to find any fault in these for their insane low price. No need to add the sponge either, which sometimes alters the sound. They insert my ears gracefully and sound so balanced and accurate.

-Clear

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #63,794 of 75,235
Looking for the best 30 dollarish earbuds I can find on aliexpress to help a friend with a YouTube video about deals from Chinese sellers. Ideally having controls on the wire.

Any recommendations?

Look for HifiEnd HE 150Pro earbuds from the Penon Audio store on AliExpress. They're probably my favorite earbud around that price as they sell for $29, IIRC. They're a great option. I really like the FAAEAL Rosemarys as well. They're a little harder to drive, but they have a nice relaxed neutral tuning that I like for a good casual listen.

Edit: I didn't see the part about controls somehow. I don't like having an inline mic or controls so I'm not sure which buds are available with them and which aren't. Sorry.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #63,795 of 75,235
I need some help. I'm using kbear stellar for 2 years now and i really like the sound signature but i want a upgrade that has detachable cable, right now im thinking of buying either the TRN EMA or the RY4S mmcx, do you have some recommendations in the same price range?

I think the TRN EMAs are a good option and I like them more than my RY4S. The EMAs are built pretty nicely. I also recently got a pair copper shelled mmcx earbuds with an LCP driver from a store on AliExpress called NSC Audio DIY Store that are a little bit more expensive (I think $17) and they're a pretty good bud as well. And Openheart sells a pair of metal shelled mmcx buds for like $13 that are a solid choice, too.

Bottom line though, for a detachable cable option under $10 you'd be hard pressed to beat the EMAs, IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back