Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 1, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #62,297 of 75,272
Aug 1, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #62,298 of 75,272
FF5 are the same shape of FF3?
Because the FF3 to me look like the LBBS, thick and deep. Not ideal for small ears.

Aug 1, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #62,299 of 75,272
FF5 are the same shape of FF3?
Because the FF3 to me look like the LBBS, thick and deep. Not ideal for small ears.
1659370469840.png
1659370512097.png

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fiio-2022-new-product-schedule-from-jamesfiio.963268/post-16952115

Aug 1, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #62,300 of 75,272
Hi guys, I have a couple questions
  • What are the benefit of extremely high impedance drivers in earbuds? I think I have seen one with 500ohms, 93db/mW@1k. I don’t think any portable gear beside the Fiio M17 can drive that.
  • Can a tuner fine-tune individual part of the FR with a dynamic driver? Say, a couple db dip around 1k, some extra db around 16k. I imagine it’s kind of impossible without multi-driver topology and cross-over.

Aug 1, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #62,301 of 75,272
  • What are the benefit of extremely high impedance drivers in earbuds? I think I have seen one with 500ohms, 93db/mW@1k. I don’t think any portable gear beside the Fiio M17 can drive that.
  • Can a tuner fine-tune individual part of the FR with a dynamic driver? Say, a couple db dip around 1k, some extra db around 16k. I imagine it’s kind of impossible without multi-driver topology and cross-over.
Theoretically higher impedance should be able to get you better resolution and delineated instruments etc all things being equal (equality is impossible). The extra weight of the VC comes with its own set of compromises. Most higher impedance bud drivers have less bass and less treble than their low impedance equivalent. With that said, some of the highest resolution buds I’ve heard are 32Ohm—the FiiO FF3 and the Tingo TG38. The Tingo is low impedance but has no deep bass. The FiiO perhaps only lacks in treble output, but it does have treble and it sounds nice and smooth and free of resonance. Both the FiiO and the Tingo have aluminum Voice Coils and should have a better magnetic strength to weight ratio. My guess is that it’s how these 2 buds manage to sound like higher impedance buds without the need for more power.

And you can definitely tune buds that way. It can be tricky if you are striving for perfection like me, or you can just buy the FiiO FF3 and just change its socks to fit your ear and preferences:) Depends on how far down the rabbit hole you are looking to go. As far as I know there are no books on the subject and it requires tons of experience. When I saw the response from this FiiO, I knew they had done their homework and you’re unlikely to outdo their engineers. It’s a fun hobby though and I do like a couple of my buds as much or more than this FiiO, but I am biased. None of the ones I like to a similar amount fit as nice as this does barring one that I’ve done in a PK shell. Unfortunately that driver is old and fragile and several of them have died on me. So yeah, just stick with the FiiO and see what’s coming next unless you truly enjoy the DIY process.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #62,302 of 75,272
You would need a source that can put out 5.05Vrms to run those. I normally go extra when figuring this because of swing, and headroom. I can think of quit a few DAPS that can push those. Heck, I use my 600 ohm buds on my DX160 (mid tier), because it puts out 6.7Vrms (IIRC).

On the other hand, that is quite a bit of power from a portable even today (though there is quite a bit higher out there).

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #62,303 of 75,272
hi earbud experts.
I am looking to try some earbuds as I am a little unsatisfied with iems in terms of overall body and soundstage.
I listen to a wide variety of genres and play lots of games and I am looking for something with a good range of use cases but in general I prefer some bass with good timbre and a little sparkle on the high end.
right now my budget is around 100$ and would love some recommendations to start down this rabbit hole :)
thanks in advance!

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #62,304 of 75,272
hi earbud experts.
I am looking to try some earbuds as I am a little unsatisfied with iems in terms of overall body and soundstage.
I listen to a wide variety of genres and play lots of games and I am looking for something with a good range of use cases but in general I prefer some bass with good timbre and a little sparkle on the high end.
right now my budget is around 100$ and would love some recommendations to start down this rabbit hole :)
thanks in advance!
I love FF3 and my VE copper sun but might over your budget.

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #62,305 of 75,272
hi earbud experts.
thanks in advance!
IMHO the Yincrow RW2000 are still one of the best all-rounders that fit your description, but they are a bit above your budget. Most of the others I have heard below that price have more than a little sparkle (again IMO).

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #62,306 of 75,272
Aug 1, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #62,308 of 75,272
ff3 and the yin crow are still within my range.
I definitely dont want TOO much sparkle as I can get fairly fatigued.
those both sound like good options. hows the comfort on the yincrow?
For me, top notch but YMMV. They seem a bit smaller than the typical bud, I could be wrong though. But because of the shape and lack of stem, they can easily be worn over ear as well, and I don't find the sound changed much (if at all).

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #62,309 of 75,272
Did anyone purchase or own the TRN EMA? They sound surprisingly good!
I could actually hear clear sub-bass notes while the midrange and treble are upfront clear and smooth and not at all harsh or sibilant, which is often the case with many earbuds. Personally, this is a rare and happy find for me. They are very light and comfortable and no need for the sponges (IMHO) for their size and WOW can they take power!
Sorry, I can't send you my personal PIC's since I am away for a week on vacation, but below are some PIC's from Aliexpress...
TRM EMA.jpgTRM EMA 2.jpg

-Clear
I had a look at this on AE recently quite a few times. Nice to see that you actually bought them and found good too. I was considering them too but wasn't sure abt the sound quality and also not having MMCX type. But I can order as it comes with Cable too. But does it has Straight plug type? Good Bass too as you already mentioned abt Sub-Bass feel as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back