Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 28, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #60,376 of 75,289
The great thing about the Maria II is that you can order either the smaller sized ones or the bigger sized ones to fit your ear better. From what I have read they sound exactly the same (using the same drivers).

Maybe tomorrow I will put up a link for you. I got them off of amazon. I cannot put up the link today because my Amazon account was hacked this weekend, so until I stop the bleeding, and they reverse the charges made to my accounts, it is locked.

Anyhow, they were very cheap, and come with sizes that would fit the Maria II all the way down to the Chaconne.
20210803_122309.jpg
20210803_122349.jpg

20210803_122429.jpg

The RW2000 aren't near the size of the Maria II. They are actually smaller than the Smabat ST10S. About the size of the M2S Pro IMO.
I thought RW2000 was bigger than Maria II smaller size, ST20 sounds very well with jazz

Feb 28, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #60,377 of 75,289
How is its tuning?
qian39_Newbsound32Pro.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/qianyun-qian39.21879/

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #60,378 of 75,289
I like ST20 but I’d prefer something brighter, maybe I can try RW1000 bass boosted for 75€

Feb 28, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #60,379 of 75,289
ST20 is growing a lot and has huge bass with iFi Gryphon, maybe I’d consider a better cable because stock one looks a cheap Y***nY**o
Something like this one
https://a.aliexpress.com/_v0vuq5

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #60,380 of 75,289
I thought RW2000 was bigger than Maria II smaller size, ST20 sounds very well with jazz
Yeah, I guess you are right @15mm, but the Smabat M2S Pro are 15.4MM. Most earbuds are around this size. I was referring to the whole shell of the Maria II (double DD drivers) and the ST20 (also double driver). The smallest double driver I have seen in an earbud is the DUNU Alpha 1 (also DD + BA):

20210804_183031.jpg
ST20 is growing a lot and has huge bass with iFi Gryphon, maybe I’d consider a better cable because stock one looks a cheap Y***nY**o
Something like this one
https://a.aliexpress.com/_v0vuq5
I am using one of those cables (not graphene or XINHS though; MMCX version) with my 7Hz Timeless. It is a decent cable. One of these days, I will have to try one of the graphene cables to see if they are decent. I am hearing good things about them, but could just be the hype with the "new" material (even though it is not new hehe).

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #60,381 of 75,289
Mar 1, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #60,382 of 75,289
The MX500 shell is larger than the PK shell and allows more bass. The PK shell is more comfortable for most people.

Edit: The two styles of shells are MX500 and PK (popularized by the Yuin PK series of earbuds). This vendor (NiceHCK) likes to call it PK1, which is the name of Yuin's flagship model.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #60,383 of 75,289
Hello
I am looking for silicone earhooks (the little wings that fit inside the ear concha) compatible with bell/horn shaped earbuds. This means the silicone ring that comes to block the narrowest part of the earbud has to be very small...
Could someone manage to find this ?

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 0
  • wp-content.png
    wp-content.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 0
Mar 1, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #60,384 of 75,289
Hello
I am looking for silicone earhooks (the little wings that fit inside the ear concha) compatible with bell/horn shaped earbuds. This means the silicone ring that comes to block the narrowest part of the earbud has to be very small...
VE Clan has some.

Mar 1, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #60,385 of 75,289
Mar 1, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #60,386 of 75,289
Hello
Like this picture?
If so, @samandhi knows.
20210803_122441.jpg

Edit:
Looks like I was wrong...

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #60,387 of 75,289
Hello

Like this picture?
If so, @samandhi knows.
20210803_122441.jpg

Edit:
Looks like I was wrong...
I have a couple different set i am using. I posted a picture of the ones I am using on my Maria II a page or so back. These two are both obtainable from Aliexpress:

20220301_064658.jpg

When I get home from work, I will try and dig up my order to send a link.

Mar 1, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #60,388 of 75,289
So for those that have the non pro ST20, how do you folks find the sound? Is it competitive with $100 bracket earbuds? Fit seems big like the Pro version though.

I'm kinda bummed I didn't receive the non pro ST20 as ordered, but for the ST20 Pro that came instead, I would rate it a 3.5/5. Very good technically, but let down by horrendous fit. Takes some effort to secure the fitting, and for most folk, it might not work out of the box. Also, for the non crowdfunding price now of $316 USD, that's really quite a lot for a earbud, so diminishing returns are huge. Imagine, one can buy 300 vidos with that coin!!!

Anyways, Smabat Lin has a post here about the acoustic designs and implementation of the ST20 series earbuds:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2386473901653225/posts/2821849761448968/

I think the huge shells do influence the sound of these buds, so not sure if he can get the same sound with a smaller bud (with better fit)?

Mar 1, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #60,389 of 75,289
So for those that have the non pro ST20, how do you folks find the sound? Is it competitive with $100 bracket earbuds? Fit seems big like the Pro version though.

I'm kinda bummed I didn't receive the non pro ST20 as ordered, but for the ST20 Pro that came instead, I would rate it a 3.5/5. Very good technically, but let down by horrendous fit. Takes some effort to secure the fitting, and for most folk, it might not work out of the box. Also, for the non crowdfunding price now of $316 USD, that's really quite a lot for a earbud, so diminishing returns are huge. Imagine, one can buy 300 vidos with that coin!!!

Anyways, Smabat Lin has a post here about the acoustic designs and implementation of the ST20 series earbuds:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2386473901653225/posts/2821849761448968/

I think the huge shells do influence the sound of these buds, so not sure if he can get the same sound with a smaller bud (with better fit)?
In my case I opened the shell and readjusted the tuning of ST20, the presentation I got is according to my preference and the shell brings a different and interesting resonance that I had not heard before in buds, on the other hand I softened the treble and now the sound is quite technical but with a presentation with a good SQ. As I mentioned before, I have no problems with the fit in my ears. From Stock I would rate it as 2.5/5 at €135.

IMG_20220225_093807.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #60,390 of 75,289
There ARE a few that you CAN EQ some really large amounts of bass (for earbuds) into them, but those are the ones using the better drivers in them, and cost more than your budget would allow. Though, I might have to second the notion of the Smabat M2S Pro for the budget you have.

Mabye it IS fitment that is the problem with the Eearpods then for you. I remember when they first came out people were modding them by putting tape over the bass hole on the side to reduce the bass on them because it became fatiguing after time. That tightened them up and made them sound less... cheap. hehe

If you are willing to go the IEM route, I don't think it would be near as long of a quest IMO. While not perfect, the CCA CRA ($20 in the US, cheaper elsewhere) can compete with $100-$200 IEMs. They DO have boosted bass, but it is very tastefully done, and not muddy, nor does it bleed into the mids. It is a slight V signature overall. You SHOULD be able to get those on Amazon (which means you can return them). Oh, and you can order them with a mic if you want (it is a 2 pin replaceable cable).
Many thanks!

I really don't have an issue with EQ. i can load a plugin on the master bus to help with 'correction'. As long as I remember to bypass the EQ when bouncing audio, there'd be no issue. The problem, like you say, is that not all head/ear gear takes well to EQ'ing. And the CCA seem to be very much in line with the KZ stuff, which I've been recommended elsewhere. I'm just so wary of that boosted bass. Even if it wasn't muddy, it'd still likely need some nifty cutting to get it to work for my needs.

The more I listen to the Earpods, the more I think Apple got right with them. But yes, the comfort is still an issue even if I could use EQ to open them up slightly and give a little 'round-ness to the bass. I used to be able to wear them from dawn-to-dusk, but I had these sleeves back then:

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00OBSKSNG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They made the pods so comfortable and stopped them being yanked from my ear during my daily work. But the fit did affect the sound in a negative way, so even though I can probably get something similar now, it'd be counter-productive. I dunno...maybe i should just persist with them and see if I get used to the fit and they stop hurting.

I still can't drop the idea of earbuds, but for the moment I'm likely to get some iems (possibly the Beyerdynamic Soul Byrd), or the Koss KSC75, and just get on with things. I'll keep an eye on the 2nd-hand market, here and maybe one day order a few cheapies from AE, just to silence the doubt :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back