Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 11, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #60,091 of 75,265
What earbud had the bass rumble ya? I love my Chaconne, going to have fiio em5 soon, but I sometime hungry for some earth shaking bass 😂. I know IEM is better for rumbling bass, just wonder if earbuds can exhibit something like that.
After swapping to a 4.4mm cable to run them balanced and over the ear, the RW-3000 do hit pretty deep actually. But I find it’s easier to just tune/DIY drivers to get the sound signatures I like, rumble included. Hard to get that from factory tuned manufactured buds

Feb 12, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #60,092 of 75,265
IMG_20220212_134839.jpg

IMG_20220212_134947.jpg

IMG_20220212_135025.jpg

IMG_20220212_135047.jpg

IMG_20220212_135123.jpg

DIY 3d printed buds from @ValSuki, hybrid between a MX500 and the Qian39 shell. :fire:

Feb 12, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #60,095 of 75,265
whoa

Whoa a planar earbuds?
Yep, some pages back this was posted:

Hey all!
I have a few earbud projects in mind but lately some communities who have known me made jokes on this, but i am going to develop a planar earbud.

Why?
Well, simply because it hasnt been done with being build up from the ground up! I want to create a completely original ear friendly shell similar to the mx500 and a brand new designed face plate to increase bass. Another reason is that @ClieOS development and work on doing his own versions have seriously helped in idea making and performance on how I can do this and approach it. I will be using a PLA printer to prototype this.

How?
Like mentioned before, I am going to design the earbud from the ground up, starting with the planar of choice (@captione ty for finding this!) with this 14.2mm planar speaker. The face plate will be adjusted and altered in order to fix bass issues as from ClieOS' work, the holes in an mx500 faceplate is simply too small. This limits the bass flow and I will be spending some time tuning the drivers with the shells and material. Input will be greatly appreciated!

Have you done this before?
Nope! But I have experience in product design and tuning for earbuds, though im no tuning master like Wong. I will do my best however.

valirl.png

Obligatory mascot thinking about this

Feb 12, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #60,096 of 75,265
Feb 12, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #60,098 of 75,265
Faaeal Datura Pro with VE Monk Plus foam is totally fabulous!! (better than most donut foam)

bass is increase 4x level higher, while mid and high is tame to be more refinement (less shouty but still same level of loundness)

totally recommended it!! (also can buy VE MONK EX FOAM pack too)

Feb 12, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #60,099 of 75,265
Thanks @WoodyLuvr @samandhi @n00b for the input. Appreciate it Sorry I dont really know how to use the multi quotes function hehe
Any time!

If you click quote below the person's name that you want to quote; you can do this as many times as you want, then down at the bottom of the page where you write your reply, click the button "Insert Quotes". A new pop-up will come up where you can choose the quotes you want to insert, or the bottom button will insert all of them. Hope that helps?!

Feb 12, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #60,100 of 75,265
I believe that is on the back burner for the moment as he shelved the project until he has completed more in-depth research on planar magnetic design.
I can live with that. I think having done one's "homework" on a product they plan to produce will make it better in the end; even though a throw-together project might be fun to play with in the meantime. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 12, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #60,101 of 75,265
I believe that is on the back burner for the moment as he shelved the project until he has completed more in-depth research on planar magnetic design.
I can live with that. I think having done one's "homework" on a product they plan to produce will make it better in the end; even though a throw-together project might be fun to play with in the meantime. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That is true! I want to make the planar earbuds as good as they can be, rather than a gimmick. My biggest issue is getting a seal around an ear while having the openness of a bud that doesn't actually go inside the ear canal. I have some ideas thankfully! Stay tuned.

Feb 12, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #60,102 of 75,265
That is true! I want to make the planar earbuds as good as they can be, rather than a gimmick. My biggest issue is getting a seal around an ear while having the openness of a bud that doesn't actually go inside the ear canal. I have some ideas thankfully! Stay tuned.
Dunu's solution (although it doesn't seal, it is directional and works very well for a DD and BA set of buds). the DD comes from the flat piece, and the BA sound comes from the directional tube. Pictures after the text:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/brief-impression-of-dunu-topsound-alpha-1-hybrid-earbud.748141/

I realize this is a total different problem to engineer around acoustically, but I figure any inspiration from other sources might actually give you choices you might not have otherwise had. Discard the ones that don't fit your goal. :)

Feb 12, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #60,104 of 75,265
Have you listened to them yet?
It was mainly to test the shell, the driver is pretty meh.

Also got the MOT classification so I cant talk about buds anymore. (at least here lol.)

Feb 12, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #60,105 of 75,265

but while the driver costs €120.... no experimented in that area

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back