Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 21, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #57,346 of 75,400
ahah that's the apple tax but you're also paying for the convenience and comfort.
anyway i just orderered the X6 on aliexpress i would have really loved a true wireless version.
If you are wanting TWS then I would suggest checking out this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/going-fully-wireless-iems-too-soon-or-are-we-there-yet.861024/ it is pretty fast moving, but keeps up with the current tech... If you like mainly rap, I might suggest the Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch. They are on sale atm for $119. These will have the bass required to listen to your genre.

Otherwise, you have some great recs from here... Just keep in mind with earbuds; unlike IEMs $150 is a lot of money for an earbud compared to IEMs/headphones. There are some really great earbuds for very little money. Also keep in mind (out of the box), there aren't a ton of flathead buds that will have the quantity of bass that the airpods have (not saying there AREN'T any, just not many). This is because they are so open and non sealing. While the Airpods don't really seal, they direct the sound into your ear similar to in ears.

If you get some buds and find that you are not liking them as much because of this, you can always get some aftermarket pads like THIS, though these won't fit (couldn't find them at a glace, but have seen them), I have seen some on Aliexpress that are the normal flathead size that have the nozzle that directs the sound into your ears like Airpods do.

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #57,347 of 75,400
How do the Smabat M2Spro and the LBBS compare? These seem like two good bang for your buck contenders when compared to my current Datura Pro (first attempt to get the shell to stick together securely failed) if I'm reading things right. Reading your review @RikudouGoku it seems like they're somewhat similar? Both lean towards the neutral-ish side, but the Smabats do the low end better while the LBBS do the mids/highs better?
Yeah, thats how you can put it. I do think the LBBS is the better bud though, not only with mids/treble but also technicalities and timbre

And if you can use PEQ, you already have the (better) X6 with that one bud.
But even if you do not use PEQ, the stock LBBS + X6 is a great combo.

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #57,348 of 75,400
How do the Smabat M2Spro and the LBBS compare? These seem like two good bang for your buck contenders when compared to my current Datura Pro (first attempt to get the shell to stick together securely failed) if I'm reading things right. Reading your review @RikudouGoku it seems like they're somewhat similar? Both lean towards the neutral-ish side, but the Smabats do the low end better while the LBBS do the mids/highs better?

I'm sorta looking over my options here, and I feel like I might get myself two buds. One for active listening and trying to really hear the most out of each track, and one for mellowness/background music, to just throw on when reading a book when I'm not focusing on the music so much. So I was thinking of either the M2Spro + RY4S plus, or the LBBS + Yincrow X6 or Cat Ear Mimi, for example.

I'm still leaning towards the M2Spro overall, but maybe I'm just getting too hung up on the whole MMCX cable thing. It seems like the LBBS also has the upper hand when it comes to EQ'ing, and I am able to use wavelet pretty much always when using earbuds.
You really can't go wrong with the M2S Pro because of them being modular. You can not only change the pads, and the cable, but you can also change the drivers, and even the filters inside. So if you aren't satisfied with the sound of them out of the box (even with some EQ) it is pretty cheap to get upgrades for these...

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #57,349 of 75,400
Yeah, thats how you can put it. I do think the LBBS is the better bud though, not only with mids/treble but also technicalities and timbre

And if you can use PEQ, you already have the (better) X6 with that one bud.
But even if you do not use PEQ, the stock LBBS + X6 is a great combo.

Does wavelet count as PEQ? Sorry, I'm still not very good at all the terminology of these kinds of things.

You really can't go wrong with the M2S Pro because of them being modular. You can not only change the pads, and the cable, but you can also change the drivers, and even the filters inside. So if you aren't satisfied with the sound of them out of the box (even with some EQ) it is pretty cheap to get upgrades for these...

Argh, you're kinda like the little devil to RikudouGoku's angel on my shoulder, tempting from one earbud to another. Or is it the other way around? :stuck_out_tongue:

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #57,350 of 75,400
Alright thanks i can't wait to get my hands on the x6

X6 is epic, but it doesnt have an mmcx so you cant use that trick.

Although you can use something like this:
https://www.qudelix.com/products/qudelix-5k-dac-amp
Just tie up the cable a bit and clip the amp/dac on your shirt and you have a wireless bud.

(although you are paying quite a lot more for those bluetooth amp/dac than the X6, which isnt something I recommend.)

if you have access to a 3D printer, you might want to try this

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3527867

i made one for my ES100, from the clip size i think it would fit the Qudelix too

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #57,351 of 75,400
Does wavelet count as PEQ? Sorry, I'm still not very good at all the terminology of these kinds of things.
No, I believe you can only use graphical EQ and bass boosters and other effects like that.

PEQ, Parametric EQ is a lot more powerful and useful tool because you can adjust anything you want. You can pick the exact frequency and the exact Q value (how wide/narrow the EQ band is) and also use other more advanced bands like Low/high-shelf.

If you are using local music (not apps like spotify) you can get PEQ with apps like Neutron Player, UAPP and Poweramp.

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #57,352 of 75,400
PEQ = Parametric Equalizer vs. Graphic Equalizer (Wavelet)... PEQ allows you to shape the sound exactly like you want to. You can search on this forum in the Sound Science for how the two work if you don't know, or you can visit THIS site for a quick read on the two and how they work, if you like.
Argh, you're kinda like the little devil to RikudouGoku's angel on my shoulder, tempting from one earbud to another. Or is it the other way around?
Of course I am the angel in this .... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: In seriousness though, you really can't go wrong with either IMO....

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #57,353 of 75,400
No, I believe you can only use graphical EQ and bass boosters and other effects like that.

PEQ, Parametric EQ is a lot more powerful and useful tool because you can adjust anything you want. You can pick the exact frequency and the exact Q value (how wide/narrow the EQ band is) and also use other more advanced bands like Low/high-shelf.

If you are using local music (not apps like spotify) you can get PEQ with apps like Neutron Player, UAPP and Poweramp.
Did some googling around, and I found this github page for something that apparently converts peace apo parametric EQ to the autoEQ format wavelet uses. I mean, that's what I'm reading, but I'm unsure if it'll actually have the desired effect. I do use spotify the vast majority of the time (it's just handy on the move and at work).
PEQ = Parametric Equalizer vs. Graphic Equalizer (Wavelet)... PEQ allows you to shape the sound exactly like you want to. You can search on this forum in the Sound Science for how the two work if you don't know, or you can visit THIS site for a quick read on the two and how they work, if you like.

Of course I am the angel in this .... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: In seriousness though, you really can't go wrong with either IMO....
Yeah, they both seem like solid buds in their own right. I'm just a bit stuck on getting the "best" I can, you know? Which is a very abstract thing with audio in general since everyone likes different flavours and hears things differently. And especially so with earbuds because price doesn't seem to mean much at all, annoyingly.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #57,354 of 75,400
Did some googling around, and I found this github page for something that apparently converts peace apo parametric EQ to the autoEQ format wavelet uses. I mean, that's what I'm reading, but I'm unsure if it'll actually have the desired effect. I do use spotify the vast majority of the time (it's just handy on the move and at work).

Yeah, they both seem like solid buds in their own right. I'm just a bit stuck on getting the "best" I can, you know? Which is a very abstract thing with audio in general since everyone likes different flavours and hears things differently. And especially so with earbuds because price doesn't seem to mean much at all, annoyingly.
the thing is with Wavelet, the autoEQ goal is to bring all our earphones' sound to harman target. if you want to customize the sound yourself, it's better to turn off the auto EQ and use the graphic EQ instead

the "mantra" of parametric EQ that I will always use:
boost wide, cut narrow, and always sweep to find the resonance culprit :ksc75smile:

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #57,355 of 75,400

Yes, that is true... And go into the auto-eq function of Wavelet, you can actually click add, and then it will go online to a huge database of premade auto-eq profiles you can download and use with it. I doubt that most of the earbuds mentioned here will be on that list, but you can play around with profiles (and edit them afterwards also) if you like.

If you have the money, then just get them both. If you don't, then it might come down to what you want (besides sound) that you can and can't live without. Neither me, nor @RikudouGoku, nor anybody else here can choose for you, but only lead you to some options that seem to match what you are looking for. Those 2 seem to be in your category for sound, price, etc...

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #57,356 of 75,400
the thing is with Wavelet, the autoEQ goal is to bring all our earphones' sound to harman target. if you want to customize the sound yourself, it's better to turn off the auto EQ and use the graphic EQ instead
That is so true... It was created to fix the "Issues" that various phone/IEMs have. So it isn't so much for tuning, but more for correcting. Good call!
the "mantra" of parametric EQ that I will always use:
boost wide, cut narrow, and always sweep to find the resonance culprit :ksc75smile:
That is a fantastic way of looking at it! I live by those words, even though I've not heard them before. I usually always go to that tone generator page I linked earlier before I start doing any sort of EQ'ing, so that that I know where the offending bands are at.

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #57,357 of 75,400

True, but those are only for the included ones, right? From the "standard" database. If I were to use RikudouGoku's lbbs EQ settings in peace apo and then convert them to the wavelet format, wouldn't it be the same as using an app with PEQ? It's very possible I'm totally misunderstanding things here.

If you have the money, then just get them both. If you don't, then it might come down to what you want (besides sound) that you can and can't live without. Neither me, nor @RikudouGoku, nor anybody else here can choose for you, but only lead you to some options that seem to match what you are looking for. Those 2 seem to be in your category for sound, price, etc...

Yeah, that's both something enjoyable about earbuds/headphones but also gets annoying at times, at least to me. It's easier with pc components and such where it's just "look, component X will do this and component Y will do that", and you can just figure out what would objectively be the better choice.
It's not like getting both isn't doable, but then I run into the "well, if I'm spending close to 90 euro on two sets of buds, maybe I should just get 90 euro buds which are all-round better than both?". Rinse and repeat until we're spending an evening browsing 300 euro earbuds :stuck_out_tongue:

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #57,358 of 75,400
Received the M2S Pro (stock drivers) yesterday. A very nice set indeed for those who want a bit more bass but don't want to deal with EQ. Not so much a problem on Android, but on my iPhone I'm just using the stock music player which is a pain to EQ anything. Personally, the LBBS's tuning suits my taste more and I think it's more technically capable, but the M2S Pro is very enjoyable too in its own ways. Plus it has a removable cable and that modular driver system too. :grin:

1.jpg
These two are the best bang-for-buck I can think of and make an excellent complementary set. The M2s Pro can give a fun, bassy sound, while the LBBs can give a clear, airy presentation. Both have good tuning and technicalities IMO. Fit is good on both, LBBs is the best, but M2s Pro has so much versatility in being able to be worn down or over the ear, and is completely modular. If you want a solid neutral performer and don't care about modularity or balanced or messing with tip rolling or anything, LBBs is an easy reco. If you listen to genres where you need bass or need balanced out for whatever reason, M2s Pro. If you want to be free from reading this thread and trying to upgrade to TOTL and keeping your budget in check, buy both and then run away :)

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #57,359 of 75,400
True, but those are only for the included ones, right? From the "standard" database. If I were to use RikudouGoku's lbbs EQ settings in peace apo and then convert them to the wavelet format, wouldn't it be the same as using an app with PEQ? It's very possible I'm totally misunderstanding things here.

you are totally correct, with that scenario you do exactly using it to transfer Riku's Lbbs setting into the Wavelet

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #57,360 of 75,400
As I said some pages ago, there's no wrong pick

I like m2s pro golden driver over the ear and lbbs used down.

Both down I think LBBS is superior and handles eq like a champ. M2S over the ear gets a different signature, close to VE Zen with bass, being like an open back airy headphone. Of course you lose a little bit of sub bass with this.

Also I use lbbs full foam and m2s with donuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back