Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 8, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #55,951 of 75,472
The link @fonkepala provide is from official Tingo shop in taobao. The shop name is TIGOOR听哥耳机工厂店 TG, which has been active in taobao for 13 years.

FYI, tingo is a direct pronounciation of 听哥(loosely translate to listen bro).

From that link, they provide customizable option for 150ohm and 300ohm version of TG38SA which is mmcx connected and also normal version of tg38 but has mmcx socket.
Yup. Now I see. They sale also TG-38s with 3 different cables
This version can be found on Chitty store
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32435966900.html
1625731994383.png

With twisted cable
1625732011879.png

with branding on Y-splitter and plug
1625732074859.png

The spec.
  • Impedance: 16Ω
  • Sensitivity: 95dB/mW
  • Frequency response: 20-22000Hz
The main difference in appearance between TC200 and TG-38s is cable.
TG-38s has much better plug and wire is softer.
Also left and right markings on the shell

1625733642745.png

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #55,952 of 75,472

A brief retrospective: TinGo TG-38s

In this post, I will try to explain why TG-38s is still the one of the favorite pair of buds after almost 2 year of use.
The specifications
  • Impedance: 16Ω
  • Sensitivity: 95dB/mW
  • Frequency response: 20-22000Hz
They can be found on Chitty's Store : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32435966900.html
BTW... I have no problem using TG-38s with "Power Match" (turn on) on my iFi Zen DAC.

tingo0.jpg

Why these buds have such a great value? Well ... let's start from the build. The Tingo lineup are recognizable by its silver shell.
These shells are a copy of the good-old Sennheiser MX500 model with a small difference in shell depth and side vents form from inside the shell.
To achieve this "mirror" like finish, they use special water plating technique. Also, the sound of these shells on hit is quite different from standard plastic shells.
Another interesting thing about TG-38s is that it uses an aluminum voice coil. Aluminum is much lighter than copper, so this has an effect on the movement of the diaphragm. They stated that this kind of voice coil can clear the sound, which can be true.
The cables are one of the best single strand cables I have used so far. Most single strand cables, over time, start to become stiffer and change color, but this is not the case with this cable. It's lightweight, decent thickness, soft and tangle-free.

tingo1.jpg

TG-38s has a balanced sound signature with excellent extension on both ends. Sub-bass and bass complement each other very nicely. Quality and quantity are at a decent level, and for buds in this price range are probably above average. The bass decay has moderate speed and the bass texture is rendered well.
As for the mids, clarity of the vocals are the only thing that requires slight improvement but when it comes to instruments and their separation this model really does a great job. Treble is detailed, which is rare to find in budget models. With bad recordings and with songs that are prone to sibilants, low sharpness can be felt.
This pair is not considered bright, and what sets it apart from the others is the presentation of micro-details from the background.
Imaging is average, precision is good but "the star of the show" is soundstage. This is the reason why this model is still on my table and not at the bottom of the drawer.
This is the :crown:KING of 3D soundstage and goes beyond its price range.

I love to use TG-38s for binaural recordings and live music, but it's also good for almost every genre.
This is not professional freq. graph, but it's the only thing I can provide right now :wink:

tg38sgraph.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #55,953 of 75,472
My favorite from that pack is of course Tingo TG-38s. One of my favorite earbuds. Need some burn-in time but after that ... you will enjoy it.
Can be sibilant on some songs but rarely, the sub-bass and bass are tuned beautifully, and highs are not offensive, only I can tell ... nice details.
MX500 silver shell is not cheap plastic but some kind of aluminum-plastic alloy, only on the original model. Can you do a close-up?

Reading through these posts makes me think how the hell the MX980 driver from the real TinGo TC200 would even fit in an MX500 shell, since those drivers are actually fairly thick but even smaller in diameter than the PK drivers. Though I do agree on the TG-38s, after some burn-in and if you have a legit pair, they are very, very good buds.

sub-bass: Tingo > ShoonTH
bass: Tingo (slower) <= SHOONTH (faster) - both are good, but I like faster bass response (personal preference)
mids (vocals): Tingo < ShoonTH
imaging: Tingo < ShoonTH
soundstage: Tingo > ShoonTH - 3D vs Wide (personal preference)
instruments separation and positioning: Tingo >= ShoonTH - because of big stage (personal preference)
treble: Tingo < ShoonTH
value vs price : Tingo > ShoonTH :wink: - Tingo is twice as cheap
cable : Tingo > ShoonTH :joy: - 100% Tingo

Yup that why I use it as sleeping buds :wink: but TG-38s leaves me awake until your playlist is complete:astonished:

Yes, Tingo TG-38s, I have been listening to them for a few hours, they are impressive, I was going to make a description of the negative things, and I have realized that it is a waste of time, @furyossa has better abilities to do a review and more time of listening with them than I do.

IMG-20210708-WA0000.jpg

€ 12, a very impressive value that destroys buds that I have without effort. The MX500 fit has never been my favorite but I was pleasantly surprised by this purchase

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #55,954 of 75,472
:v::wink:

Before I start, understand this as my personal opinion. I have no intention of hype this product line:fingers_crossed:

ESEP-01BL is the good entry level buds which shows its uniqueness and true character of the ShoonTH lineup. IMO, the price is just right. I'm not a fan of the cable, but even if you cut the cable, I will buy it again :wink: By saying this I mean that this driver (32ohm) alone is the strong candidate to be in range $10-$20

Now looking at the ESEP-01BLE and reading product description we see some differences, enhanced driver and cables. They tested each driver and resistor to find a pair
with approximately equal impedance. Also, all of this requires additional driver tuning. The next thing that raises the price here is the cable, of course the beautiful look (my subjective opinion) is not the only reason for that. I personally like how they match plug and Y-splitter with "wasp pattern" snake skin.
I use FURUKAWA silver plated copper cable with my DIY PK1 150ohm "red film" driver and I noticed small improvement in driver performance comparing it with other cheap cables. This cable is thin but rigid (can be good or bad thing, I don't mind that much), and it feels strong.
And now the main question: Is all this worth 4 times the price of previous model?
Well... for overall effort: enhanced driver (150ohm), tuning, quality cable wire and parts, attention to the details, richer package with accessories, the price around $100 would be a complete hit, $120 ...hmm...maybe ok :wink:

ESEP-01BU ... what can incense the price $100? This is a hard one if you ask me, and correct me if I'm wrong.
This is not so important, but I need to mention, the package looks a bit downgraded in comparison with ESEP-01BLE.
As for the driver, I think that they probably chose the best samples of the previous version here with some additional tuning.
Looking at the cable, we see that they use the same plug and Y-splitter, the snake skin has a different pattern.
The main difference is the wire. It's thinner and braided, which may indicate two things: softer cable and no microphonics.
Is asking price ok? I will not agree here. Upper limit will be $200 but $150-$170 is a much more realistic price for this model.

BTW... this lineup is not so new and the TOTL model is not mentioned anywhere in the reviews, which may mean that it was not sold as much.
The only solution I see here is to lower the price and send one pair to @RikudouGoku for testing:beerchug:

Thanks mr. furyossa for the information. I searched through the net and haven't found also any reviews about these buds so maybe I'll wait until the likes of @RikudouGoku or maybe @ClieOS get their hands on it. Besides, the Blur which I purchased from a fellow headfier is still on its way.

Only TOTL model don't have any review, ESEP-01BL and ESEP-01BLE have. If @ClieOS not have these, probably will not get them, and @RikudouGoku rarely buys from Penon.
That's the way it is for now :wink:

Finally, some review for ShoonTH flagship model ESEP-01BU

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #55,955 of 75,472
I am going to get the LBBS as well as the Shoonth Esep-01Bl, so I can hear what is the buzz about!
And the Tingo TG-38s is also on my shopping list...

Btw. my newly acquired VE Zen LL is really pleasant, the people raving about it earlier in this thread did not lie.

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #55,956 of 75,472
I am going to get the LBBS as well as the Shoonth Esep-01Bl, so I can hear what is the buzz about!
And the Tingo TG-38s is also on my shopping list...

Btw. my newly acquired VE Zen LL is really pleasant, the people raving about it earlier in this thread did not lie.
Here on this thread are all good guys, and no one lies :grin::fingers_crossed:
BTW... I wish we had a girl here. Rachel Weisz?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #55,957 of 75,472
The link @fonkepala provide is from official Tingo shop in taobao. The shop name is TIGOOR听哥耳机工厂店 TG, which has been active in taobao for 13 years.

FYI, tingo is a direct pronounciation of 听哥(loosely translate to listen bro).

From that link, they provide customizable option for 150ohm and 300ohm version of TG38SA which is mmcx connected and also normal version of tg38 but has mmcx socket.
Thanks for the very insightful info. Good to know that at least the seller is legit. As somewhat of an aside, so far I've only used my TG38SA with an el-cheapo basic 3.5mm mmcx cable that I probably got from an old pair of Tennmak Pro several years ago. But earlier today, I decided to cable roll and swapped to a 6 core Yinyuuu copper cable with 4.4 termination and then paired everything with the iFi Zen Dac. Wow, to say the sound signature of the TG38SA is an understatement. It now sounds more open and lively is the best way I could put it. Where it sounded muffled and heavily veiled before, it is now much clearer and I'm enjoying it very much. I'm not sure if this is because of running it balanced or if it's due to the cable swap, but if the latter, then I'm about to be a 'cable believer'.

Can you describe sound of the Zen LL for me? Did you get it in 3.5mm or balanced? What source are you using?

BTW... I wish we had a girl here. Rachel Weisz?
I'm a big fan!

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #55,958 of 75,472
Thanks for the very insightful info. Good to know that at least the seller is legit. As somewhat of an aside, so far I've only used my TG38SA with an el-cheapo basic 3.5mm mmcx cable that I probably got from an old pair of Tennmak Pro several years ago. But earlier today, I decided to cable roll and swapped to a 6 core Yinyuuu copper cable with 4.4 termination and then paired everything with the iFi Zen Dac. Wow, to say the sound signature of the TG38SA is an understatement. It now sounds more open and lively is the best way I could put it. Where it sounded muffled and heavily veiled before, it is now much clearer and I'm enjoying it very much. I'm not sure if this is because of running it balanced or if it's due to the cable swap, but if the latter, then I'm about to be a 'cable believer'.
Cable can help, but in your case, I think that your pair required more power from a good DAC/AMP. Going balanced is the right choice for high impedance buds. I will
order probably one more pair of TG-38s for DIY project and I will also try to swap the cable to 2.5 mm or 4.4 mm :wink:

I'm a big fan!
Who is not :yum:

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #55,959 of 75,472
Can you describe sound of the Zen LL for me? Did you get it in 3.5mm or balanced? What source are you using?
Curious about this as well. I have a Monk Lite SPC on its way in; if the Zen LL is significantly different, I may try to order a set next month.

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #55,960 of 75,472
Cable can help, but in your case, I think that your pair required more power from a good DAC/AMP. Going balanced is the right choice for high impedance buds. I will
order probably one more pair of TG-38s for DIY project and I will also try to swap the cable to 2.5 mm or 4.4 mm :wink:
Yup, I suppose that's the case as well. I've paired it with a Qudelix before, but always SE as I thought they were quite easy to drive and never required me to go crazy on the volume dial. I guess what I've learned is that even though something can be driven to listenable levels, that doesn't mean it's 'properly' driven. So, in the case of this TG38SA, pretty much anything (even cheap dongles) can drive it to listenable volumes, but still it needed power that can only be gotten from running it balanced to fully open up and show its true SS. Hmmm, TIL.

I can only imagine how sweet that TG38 of yours will sing when it's run balanced.

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #55,962 of 75,472
Get rid of the 'may', just order it now! That's what I did a few days ago. Quash that wondering and know for sure!!! :)
If I didn't also have a review program I'm going through on the side, I probably would, but I went bonkers the last time I had too much new stuff on my plate! The M2s Pro and Monk Lite SPC 120ohm are going to have to be enough for now :)

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #55,963 of 75,472
Yup, I suppose that's the case as well. I've paired it with a Qudelix before, but always SE as I thought they were quite easy to drive and never required me to go crazy on the volume dial. I guess what I've learned is that even though something can be driven to listenable levels, that doesn't mean it's 'properly' driven. So, in the case of this TG38SA, pretty much anything (even cheap dongles) can drive it to listenable volumes, but still it needed power that can only be gotten from running it balanced to fully open up and show its true SS. Hmmm, TIL.

I can only imagine how sweet that TG38 of yours will sing when it's run balanced.
TG-38s, although they do not seem to require some power, because of low sensitivity (95dB) they do. I use impedance adapter (75ohm) when I use it with LG G7 to be able
to use QuadDAC.
About high impedance buds. I can drive DIY 400ohm buds on LG at the decent volume level, but this is totally absurd.
Burr Brown chip in iFi Zen DAC is way more advanced then LG QuadDAC (saber chip) and it has (at least for me) way better SQ then any ESS or AK chip that I own.
Get rid of the 'may', just order it now! That's what I did a few days ago. Quash that wondering and know for sure!!! :)
Well said.
Don't think too much, the train will leave the station soon.

Jul 8, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #55,964 of 75,472
Well said.
Don't think too much, the train will leave the station soon.
I look at it this way: just from the M2s Pro alone, there are 6 different driver and 3 different tuning disks that can be used within that shell. It'll at least get me miles ahead on learning more about the available tonalities before I go sinking more chasing various companies' house sounds.

https://www.smabat.com/products/m-a-driver-m2-pro-module

Considering how much Chi-Fi, TWS, and random IEMs I've collected throughout the years, I'm hoping I can at least do earbuds with a shred of discipline hahaha.

Jul 8, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #55,965 of 75,472
Considering how much Chi-Fi, TWS, and random IEMs I've collected throughout the years, I'm hoping I can at least do earbuds with a shred of discipline hahaha.
hmmmm, this sounds familiar.

1625756987091.png

Didnt turn out so well for me lol. 24 buds and 5 more incoming and another one I havent even ranked yet. :joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back