Earbuds Round-Up
May 7, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #53,836 of 75,451
Just out of curiousity, I put an apple pod just after the EM5, and OMG, the apple sounded like some broken toy. I put the Fiio back and it sounded fully detailed rich warm full etc...

I already put the EM5 to sell, but I may change my mind and keep it.
lol, you can go ahead and test out the "fake details theory" by using a PEQ and removing like 5 db from the bass using a low-shelf band at 250hz and then also boost the treble by 5 db with a high-shelf band at 3000hz. :joy:

May 7, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #53,837 of 75,451
lol, you can go ahead and test out the "fake details theory" by using a PEQ and removing like 5 db from the bass using a low-shelf band at 250hz and then also boost the treble by 5 db with a high-shelf band at 3000hz. :joy:
hahaah of course ! In the headphone world there are the usual suspects: Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser HD800 (although it has REAL details and a bright sound), Fostex th900, etc...
And there are the masters of details and perfect tone: Audeze LCD3.

May 7, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #53,839 of 75,451
Pardon the low effort posting, but the Zen black (although a disaster in cable stiffness and microphonics) has more body than the Fiio em5.
Can you guys tell me if the Sun Dice and Copper keep the same “full bodied” sound?
Or with more resolution comes “thinness”?

Is there any other kind? :)

May 7, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #53,840 of 75,451
Just out of curiousity, I put an apple pod just after the EM5, and OMG, the apple sounded like some broken toy. I put the Fiio back and it sounded fully detailed rich warm full etc...

I already put the EM5 to sell, but I may change my mind and keep it.

I'm realizing that the more I get into the earbud world the more I get used to their magic and higher my expactations to a degree that could get dangerously unrealistic.

I'd hold off on selling the em5 until you put it through 200 hours of burn in. I was not very impressed with mine either, though I did think they sounded "better"-ish than my cheaper earbuds initially. I'm not a proponent of burn-in but I think the large bery driver in the em5 needs the burn-in. the em5 is definitely not a bass monster. my maria II puts out much more bass, but the quality of bass on the em5 is extraordinary.

What type of music do you typically listen to?

May 7, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #53,841 of 75,451
I'd hold off on selling the em5 until you put it through 200 hours of burn in. I was not very impressed with mine either, though I did think they sounded "better"-ish than my cheaper earbuds initially. I'm not a proponent of burn-in but I think the large bery driver in the em5 needs the burn-in. the em5 is definitely not a bass monster. my maria II puts out much more bass, but the quality of bass on the em5 is extraordinary.

What type of music do you typically listen to?
Thank you very much for this advice. Especially since you're not a burn in apostle and that the EM5 would be hard to sell. I will hold on to it. I only listen to classical music from Renaissance (vocal) to Modern (Bartok ,Shostakovich). I don't listen to pop, rap, folk or jazz. I just have way too many classical albums. So: Voice, opera, choral, Chamber, Piano, concertos and symphonies.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #53,843 of 75,451
May 7, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #53,845 of 75,451
the em5 is definitely not a bass monster. my maria II puts out much more bass, but the quality of bass on the em5 is extraordinary.
How do you feel overall about the EM5 vs Maria II? I have the older Rose Mojito and like it very much except that the size is large for my ear, and I'm considering the smaller Maria II. EM5 has the best bass I've heard from an earbud, but its treble has some sizzle that I'm sensitive to, and I ended up selling it.

May 7, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #53,846 of 75,451
How do you feel overall about the EM5 vs Maria II? I have the older Rose Mojito and like it very much except that the size is large for my ear, and I'm considering the smaller Maria II. EM5 has the best bass I've heard from an earbud, but its treble has some sizzle that I'm sensitive to, and I ended up selling it.
Did you try double foaming it ?

May 7, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #53,848 of 75,451
Yes I did. I require a smooth non-fatiguing treble, but it isn't the character of the EM5. I loved the bass and wanted it to work out, but long burn-in and foam variations didn't change it enough for me.
Yes I see. I really don't want to open this can of worms but I always wondered: if burn-in is real, let's say you stop using the device for some time (weeks? months?), logically, wouldn't it require a whole new "burn in" again ?
I mean it's not like a loss of virginity here, a sort of deflowering, or is it ?

May 7, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #53,849 of 75,451
Yes I see. I really don't want to open this can of worms but I always wondered: if burn-in is real, let's say you stop using the device for some time (weeks? months?), logically, wouldn't it require a whole new "burn in" again ?
I mean it's not like a loss of virginity here, a sort of deflowering, or is it ?
There are 2 camps when it comes to burn in.

1. Physical burn-in, this is what most people/brands want you to believe in. AKA, "real" burn in and you wont need to burn it in again later. (maybe you noticed how some brands are claiming you need 100-200 hours of burn-in. Its more like a way for you to run out of warranty time to return it if you dont like it lol.)

2. Brain burn-in, AKA getting used to the sound of the particular transducer and IMO is what is really happening when people claim stuff needs to burn in.

May 7, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #53,850 of 75,451
I really don't want to open this can of worms but I always wondered: if burn-in is real
Haha, I specifically mentioned burn-in to preempt being asked whether I'd done it :o2smile:. I'm ambivalent about whether it is a real thing, but in fact I did burn-in for many many hours to eliminate the possibility that it might make the difference between keeping the EM5 or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back