Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 18, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #51,062 of 75,871
Bk2 arrived, liked its sound i was really expecting more noticed a slight hiss on the background but im sure thats my dac, but the fit is just godlike, they fit so well in my ears
I dont feel like theyre natural, the vocals i heared with them have something that i cant tell, like a metallic hint thats not very enjoyable, the sound is very light lacks power on the notes, liked the imaging the soundstage i average at best, the cable is very nice, loved the pouch, the foam tips i didnt even touched because i have the ones i like better, overall after 30 minutes listening to them id give a 7/10

Dec 18, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #51,063 of 75,871
I dont feel like theyre natural, the vocals i heared with them have something that i cant tell, like a metallic hint thats not very enjoyable, the sound is very light lacks power on the notes, liked the imaging the soundstage i average at best, the cable is very nice, loved the pouch, the foam tips i didnt even touched because i have the ones i like better, overall after 30 minutes listening to them id give a 7/10
Be patient. Give them some time.
Let some music pass through and "shake" them up :wink:

Dec 18, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #51,065 of 75,871
Hope they grow on me over time, loved the fit so much
For example i used to find the smabat st-10 not that good when i first listened to them but now, i fcking love them, my favorite earbuds, just had to change that cable, these made me a believer of burn in because it really changed, they were really harsh when i first listened to them

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #51,066 of 75,871
For example i used to find the smabat st-10 not that good when i first listened to them but now, i fcking love them, my favorite earbuds, just had to change that cable, these made me a believer of burn in because it really changed, they were really harsh when i first listened to them
The BK2 has a treble-centric sound signature, with a peak at 12 kHz.
So to cover these, I used double foam (donut foam on full foam). I also switched from the included Silver Plated cable to the cheaper Single Crystal Copper cable below for more bass power.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32977455076.html
I hope this helps.

Dec 18, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #51,067 of 75,871
Hope they grow on me over time, loved the fit so much
Yeah as jogawag mentioned there's a pronounced 12k spike and sadly they don't eq well. I have some compensation files up either on this thread and/or the earbud test curve thread.

I'll try again to fix things on the bk2 and post results later.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #51,068 of 75,871
Haven't posted in a while, I just got the Yincrow x6, as well as NSC 'clear' buds (https://h5.aliexpress.com/item/4000808625788.html) that vygas recommended which are pretty good. Also got the rw-9 which is currently stuck in USPS covid purgatory.

Bk2 still has the best neutral tuning imo. Yincrow x6 definitely has the "fun" tuning down with a well-executed bass boost, though the resolution could be better. Should also note the subbass is still pretty weak, as is the case with most buds. The NSC clear are somewhere in between, good timbre with a very slight bass boost, also seems to be a bit more airy. Bouncing between it and the bk2, not sure which I prefer. They're all pretty good.

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #51,069 of 75,871
Yeah as jogawag mentioned there's a pronounced 12k spike and sadly they don't eq well. I have some compensation files up either on this thread and/or the earbud test curve thread.

I'll try again to fix things on the bk2 and post results later.
Ive tested your file and it didnt sound right, not because of your compensation but because they really are not good with eq, i loved the nameless one btw, i forgot to comment on your post

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #51,070 of 75,871
Ive tested your file and it didnt sound right, not because of your compensation but because they really are not good with eq, i loved the nameless one btw, i forgot to comment on your post
Yeah, I think I'm going to recommend keeping the bk2 at stock tuning, no eq. They fall apart with eq and on some sources distort easily. I still use my wavelet file on them at 40% though.

A completely opposite experience with the Datura Pro's I just got in today. These transform into an incredible bud after eq. I think they are currently at the top of my list of best compensated buds. It's not just the sound that improves. The soundstage comes alive after compensation.

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #51,071 of 75,871
Yeah, I think I'm going to recommend keeping the bk2 at stock tuning, no eq. They fall apart with eq and on some sources distort easily. I still use my wavelet file on them at 40% though.

A completely opposite experience with the Datura Pro's I just got in today. These transform into an incredible bud after eq. I think they are currently at the top of my list of best compensated buds. It's not just the sound that improves. The soundstage comes alive after compensation.
how does the datura pro sound? they look interesting, would love an earbud with a very good soundstage

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #51,072 of 75,871
how does the datura pro sound? they look interesting, would love an earbud with a very good soundstage
I'm still going through my library. The datura pro sound terrible with stock tuning - lower mid bloat and a congested sound overall. Out of the box they sound like $5 buds with good build quality. Compensated they sound... I don't even know what price to put on it because if they were $200 and sounded like they do with v1.5 bass target, I wouldn't be disappointed.

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #51,073 of 75,871
ok... still on the Datura Pro's with v1.5 bass target. These are easily one of the most headphone like buds I've ever heard.

Here are my top buds when compensated:

1. Datura Pro
2. Qian 29
3. Rambo II
4. Monk lite 120ohm
5. K's Nameless

Each of these buds literally transform into an entirely different listening experience (for the better.) The Nameless and Qian 39 are amazing because they cost so little and still take EQ well. The Monk Lite is still one of my favorite compensated buds, but for essentially the same price, the Datura Pro is much, much better. The Monk's, even after compensation, have this "sennheiser-like" veil. It's subtle but there. The Datura Pro's are incredibly transparent across the entire spectrum. Bass is fast and deep, with borderline legit sub-bass. Mids are perfectly placed and the upper registers are clean and well extended.

**edit**
I've listened to the Datura Pro's all night and adjust my assessment on the sub-bass response. There's is still roll-off in the sub-bass area but it's nowhere near as bad is it is on default tuning. The mid bass is fast and hits hard when the music calls for it, so much so it almost sounds like sub-bass but the rumble isn't really there and it has become clear to me that there simply isn't enough air being moved in the 20hz-50hz area.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #51,074 of 75,871
@furyossa pointed out the merits of Aluminum coated drivers, which is what the Datura Pro has. I'm wondering what other buds have a similar driver?

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #51,075 of 75,871
@furyossa pointed out the merits of Aluminum coated drivers, which is what the Datura Pro has. I'm wondering what other buds have a similar driver?
No earbuds have an Al driver so far, except for DaturaPro. Meze Rai Solo has advanced "in-house-made" Al driver but that's another story

Users who are viewing this thread

Back