Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 4, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #45,182 of 75,272
I just sorta blind bought the Moondrop Chaconne ear bud after not really being in the ear bud game for well over a year (maybe over 2) now. I really hope I didn't make a mistake. :)
Let me know what it's like. I've been out of earbuds for over a year

Oct 4, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #45,183 of 75,272
I'm not a burn-in guy, for the most part I appropriate the so called burn in effects to foam/shell wear-and-tear or change in humidity, even ear shape etc. But I find it possible to be a factor in certain cases so I won't exclude it out of the possibilites.
There is no way brain burn will solve this B40, bass is so severly rolled off that its basically inaudible under 100hz, the sound is basically mids and highs, sounds like a faulty earphone, bass is basically on the level of my sub 1usd earbuds that I bought for diy projects. I measured it and looks just as bad as I hear it. My faulty SR2 has similarly missing bass, but that bud sounds like a complete disaster while this is ok from the mids up. I'm afraid this is a lemon too as after 5 hours of playtime it still sounds the same.
And also when I compare earbuds, I put large effort in to be as objective as possible, I put them on a splitter and switch between them every 10-20seconds on repetitive parts of my testing tracks (which I know very well, listened to them hundreds of time with dozens of gear) to prevent brain burn in, plus check my impressions with frequency response measurement too.

It's not that I exclude the possibility alltogether, but let's be realistic, even a 1mm difference in the way we sit the earbuds makes a whole lot more difference than possible burn-in effect. Already gave my opinion on brain burn-in, which imo is a huge factor (along with how fresh/tired/moody etc. we are)

Oct 4, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #45,184 of 75,272
Oct 4, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #45,185 of 75,272
It's not that I exclude the possibility alltogether, but let's be realistic, even a 1mm difference in the way we sit the earbuds makes a whole lot more difference than possible burn-in effect. Already gave my opinion on brain burn-in, which imo is a huge factor (along with how fresh/tired/moody etc. we are)
I posted my experiences with burn-in here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-3012#post-15224952

I can assure you I am very systematic about these things and ensure like-for-like conditions when doing my comparisons, for example using the same foams and a reference library of various music tracks covering many genres. All my EQ profiles are archived for future reference (I produce up to 15 for each bud so have many hundreds of them). As I said, change doesn't happen in all cases (and is rarely profound) but it does happen. I am not discounting the phenomenon of 'brain burn-in' but it isn't the whole story IME.

Oct 4, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #45,186 of 75,272
1.jpg

Finally decided to order the Remax RM-301 @ $5.

Oct 4, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #45,187 of 75,272
I have only experienced drastic burnin in the case of sr2. Other buds had little to no burnin. But in the case of sr2 I am 100% sure that the sound changed with use. For me brain burnin is not that pronounced as even if I use a bud for a year when a song comes where the buds were bad, it still remains bad.

Oct 4, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #45,188 of 75,272
Oct 4, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #45,189 of 75,272
I have only experienced drastic burnin in the case of sr2. Other buds had little to no burnin. But in the case of sr2 I am 100% sure that the sound changed with use.
Another notable example for me was the Sony E808+. Didn't take as long as the SR2 but it was consistent with all three that I bought over a few weeks.

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #45,190 of 75,272
This morning at work, I've got my homemade Graphene earbuds (2.5TRRS, 400Ω, Wood housing, Tethered cable [$48.00 (Drivers = $27, Shells = $14, Cable = $7)]) connected to my Walnut F2 (OPA627AU), running as a USB DAC, and streaming music from YouTube.

These drivers really do sound good, especially when listening to acoustic (and electric) guitar, like this playlist of William Ellwood tracks -

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #45,191 of 75,272
@robar

You seem to have received a lemon, contact Jim Nicehck to talk about it. If you do a quick search on bud B40, which is a newer product, you will not see low quality complaints or insufficient bass frequency.

Again, i say that this model has an improvement in sound after natural recording; i compared a recorded drive with a new one. Although when new, i do not consider its sound horrible, as you say.

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #45,192 of 75,272
Is that an accurate translation? I've no idea what the terms solid, glossy would mean in relation to frequency response. I'm guessing soft means less treble?

glossy in this case better translates to sensual...I'm not sure that gives you a better idea, but they are saying that the vocals sensuality is pretty good...the whole review is focused on how good the vocals are.

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #45,194 of 75,272
Oct 4, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #45,195 of 75,272
Another notable example for me was the Sony E808+. Didn't take as long as the SR2 but it was consistent with all three that I bought over a few weeks.
That's good to hear. I took out my E808+ the other day and found them a bit lacking. I also wondered if that was a bud that I could/should put a foam on. It's so different from the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back