Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 16, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #40,742 of 75,342
The TO65 is like the forgotton son of the toneking family. Has anyone here actually heard it? Haven't seen anything written about it as far as I can remember.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/toneking-t065.22748/reviews

Lows

The sub-bass extension of the TO65 is rather average. I find the decay to be fast and it is accompanied with a quick rumble that speeds up the overall sound. This helps to create more impact and I find the dynamics face a significant improvement as a result. The mid-bass does not have a huge slam to it. It presents itself in a rather laid back approach so you will not feel it overpowering the other aspects of the frequency range. The quantity may be lacking for some but it has a polite presentation. The transition from bass to lower mids is quite smooth. I find the bass to be fatigue-free as it is enjoyable and the quantity is appropriate.

Mids

The TO65 has a rather smooth and balanced midrange that is quite polite. The lower mids has a rather good amount of body and male vocals does not sound hollow here. Moving on to the upper mids, I personally find it slightly forward and this aids the reproduction of female vocals. It is not the thick and lush kind of midrange but it operates on a rather conservative approach. There is good control with decent level of details retrieval.

Highs

The treble is extended quite decently and it is controlled and tight in its presentation. I find the energy is slightly lacking and the sparkle is minimal. There is no sibilance and harshness in the sound at all. The amount of air presents is not a lot but I feel there is still a good quantity to it. Clarity is rather decent and the details retrieval is quite good. There is lack of crisp at times but the definition is there.

Soundstage

The TO65 has nice width and depth for its soundstage. The width is not the widest I have heard but there is space to minimise the congestion of tracks. Positioning of vocals and instruments are quite good. The depth is quite close in. I find the TO65 soundstage performs up to its price point.

Conclusion

The TO65 is a smooth sounding detachable earbud that one can listen to, especially for music with a slower pace. With such a polite sound signature, I find that it is very easy to listen to. The treble is detailed and precise in its articulation. The earbud has good build quality and visual appeal. In addition, it comes with a nice carrying case to store the earbud so you can bring it around.

Mar 16, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #40,743 of 75,342
My wife has been itching for a reason to get that same model but she she insist i buy our next toy (she has twice the gear as i do) so if you persuaded me to get one, i am sure she would be very happy :wink: i dont mind waiting till you could give me your impressions, hasnt steared me wrong so far! :ksc75smile:

If the Walnut F1 amp was still available (~$30 - $35), I would certainly recommend it. It works well with both high and low impedance earbuds.
I have sent messages to several AliExpress vendors, asking if they could request that the manufacturer make some more F1 amps. :ksc75smile:

I've got one that works, and one that I accidentally damaged (etches broken while removing op-amp socket).
The F1 doesn't have much space for op-amp / capacitor rolling (since the battery is above the socket), but if it's re-housed in a case that's deeper (or wider), there would be space for larger op-amps & capacitors.

Mar 16, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #40,744 of 75,342
If the Walnut F1 amp was still available (~$30 - $35), I would certainly recommend it. It works well with both high and low impedance earbuds.
I have sent messages to several AliExpress vendors, asking if they could request that the manufacturer make some more F1 amps. :ksc75smile:

I've got one that works, and one that I accidentally damaged (etches broken while removing op-amp socket).
The F1 doesn't have much space for op-amp / capacitor rolling (since the battery is above the socket), but if it's re-housed in a case that's deeper (or wider), there would be space for larger op-amps & capacitors.
Yeah i like the f1, powers all my buds just right, i am thinking about rolling caps on it but the little bears balanced tubes have me curious, wonder if they can push it he ty hi z hp650

Mar 16, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #40,745 of 75,342
I am addicted to high impedance buds with my zishan ak4497 dsd, does anyone know and good cheap diy destop amps for high impedance buds? (cheap like $60-90) i am curious to see how much better they get. I know yhis isnt the right thread but would like to hear of uour guys input before i ask in the appropriate thread
I ordered a few cheap opamp-based headphone amp recently; should be arriving next week:

1. Topping NX3s - impressive output claims for the price.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top...ni-3-5mm-dac-amp-topping-nx3/32932901194.html

2. Apheared 47-based DIY amp - currently using the earlier version of this amp. Ridiculously cheap.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HIF...o-Noise-Finished-Board-T0029/32965829001.html

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #40,746 of 75,342
Can anyone compare ty hi z hp650 to k's samsara, or seahf f400s, been eyeballing them for a year and getting really tempted

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #40,747 of 75,342
Can anyone compare ty hi z hp650 to k's samsara, or seahf f400s, been eyeballing them for a year and getting really tempted

I've got a set of the TY Hi-Z HP650 (2.5mm TRRS - I converted them with my own plug) - and they have a good amount of Bass, the Treble is OK, but the Midrange seems to be pretty recessed.
I prefer the sound of my K's 500, and I believe others have said that the newer Samsara sound even better than the 500.

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #40,748 of 75,342
I ordered a few cheap opamp-based headphone amp recently; should be arriving next week:

1. Topping NX3s - impressive output claims for the price.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top...ni-3-5mm-dac-amp-topping-nx3/32932901194.html

I was just looking at the pictures and the topping NX3s has an amazing style.

77245c69f5f27f11c0a44e18982dc022.png

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #40,749 of 75,342
I've got a set of the TY Hi-Z HP650 (2.5mm TRRS - I converted them with my own plug) - and they have a good amount of Bass, the Treble is OK, but the Midrange seems to be pretty recessed.
I prefer the sound of my K's 500, and I believe others have said that the newer Samsara sound even better than the 500.
Thanks for that, i am glad i havent grabbed them yet, can anyone say how the original rose masya (black plastic version) compares to samsara??

Basically my wife hasent gound "her pair" of buds yet, she likes the samsara but wants a bit more mids

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #40,750 of 75,342
I was just looking at the pictures and the topping NX3s has an amazing style.
Umm... thanks, I think. Not exactly what I was going for in the NX3s.
I think portable headphone amp setups look rather nerdy to me anyway.
:)

Edit: just read your PC setup in the signature. Now that is amazing style! Appears audio listening must be, at best, your second most expensive hobby :)

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #40,751 of 75,342
But which one? I found k's 500 k's 500 samsara, k's 600, k's 300. This is a mess. Ty line is easy to pick. I have many k's in my basket but I don't know which one to choose.

Mar 17, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #40,752 of 75,342
But which one? I found k's 500 k's 500 samsara, k's 600, k's 300. This is a mess. Ty line is easy to pick. I have many k's in my basket but I don't know which one to choose.
K's600, Ks 500, k's 300 samsara, k's 300 are all very different models, he was mentioning the 500 and samsara, many say the samsara are better then the 500, i dont have the 500 but i can say samsara are really really good, someone told me the 500 has a wider soundstage wile the samsara are "smoother and slightly warmer" but i couldnt say for sure.

Mar 17, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #40,753 of 75,342
K's600, Ks 500, k's 300 samsara, k's 300 are all very different models, he was mentioning the 500 and samsara, many say the samsara are better then the 500, i dont have the 500 but i can say samsara are really really good, someone told me the 500 has a wider soundstage wile the samsara are "smoother and slightly warmer" but i couldnt say for sure.
Thank you,

So, I think that k's 500 is more suitable for me. Soundstage is really important. Do you know anything about the 600?

Mar 17, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #40,754 of 75,342
Thank you,

So, I think that k's 500 is more suitable for me. Soundstage is really important. Do you know anything about the 600?
Cant say much, have to check the thread i was told but cant remember details, if you search my posts in this thread i am sure you can find, and i remember someone made a good comparison of these buds on this thread that had helped me choose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back