Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 4, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #34,321 of 75,272
It's clear.
Your opinion?
The options?
I've heard, to name a few good ones: K's Black Ling, Rose Mojito, Shozy BK, Rose Masya, Penon BS1 Official.

I'd say the Black Ling is potentially the best, Mojito next. If my BS1 had a stronger sub bass and better comfort id rate it very highly, lovely detail and bright but smooth response for the price. Black Ling sounds like the BS1 with a big bass boost, but it's very pick of foams choice.

Others I haven't heard but are very well regarded include Cypherus Red Dragon, Zoomfred/Pro, Cax Black, Moondrop liebesleid, K's Poseidon, Zen 2.0 black edition, Simphonio Dragon 2+...

Sep 4, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #34,323 of 75,272
TM9 is all you need

i see that you forgot to tag @waynes world . I'll relay the message :ksc75smile:

I read on the description page of the Datura-X that it is bass-light, but I believe I also read a review that it has good bass amount/impact...?! Can anyone clarify? My reference for 'good bass' in an earphone is the HE 150 PRO.

Thanks!

:)

haven't heard of the HE150 pro yet, but the Datura x has good amount of them (and certainly good impact) that i even sometimes use it without foams. i use thin foams regularly on mine. just be sure not to accidentally cover the vent holes while wearing them. i also like to wear them over ears and they're still comfortable to use like that.

interestingly, from my own experience and also a couple of reviews that I've read about the daturaX, we all wrote the same conclusion: that you can't go wrong with it, especially considering the sub 20 dollar price.

Sep 4, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #34,324 of 75,272
Trying to figure out if my ears are too small for my Monk+, and most buds in this thread. before I drop serious funds on a TOTL bud. Uploaded an image.

I've edited an image of approximated how my bud sits in my ear (blue), and I how I think the bud is supposed to sit in my ear (red). Just pretend both the blue and red bud are the same size.

As you can see, as indicated by the arrow, that part of my ear doesn't allow the bud to fully seat in my ear. Not sure if anyone has ears big enough that actually allow that, or that's just the way buds are supposed to sit. When I force and hold them in with my fingers, and have them seated approximated how the red bud is sitting, sound quality does get better, less "tinny" and more full, though it probably loses soundstage.

So, are my ears too small or is that just how buds are supposed to sit?

Attachments

• ear edited.jpg
    ear edited.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #34,325 of 75,272
Ok done folks ! TM9 reached my favorite earbuds of all time ! :)

After 150 hours+ of proper burning, I will sum-up TM9 as the following:
Powerful low frequencies (subbass too) but nicely controlled (which almost reach my Fostex headphones TH900 quality).

Do you know if the bass/sub-bass characteristics of your TH900 are similar to TH-X00 Ebony?

Happy to hear the TM9 has some sub-bass. :)

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #34,326 of 75,272
Trying to figure out if my ears are too small for my Monk+, and most buds in this thread. before I drop serious funds on a TOTL bud. Uploaded an image.

I've edited an image of approximated how my bud sits in my ear (blue), and I how I think the bud is supposed to sit in my ear (red). Just pretend both the blue and red bud are the same size.

As you can see, as indicated by the arrow, that part of my ear doesn't allow the bud to fully seat in my ear. Not sure if anyone has ears big enough that actually allow that, or that's just the way buds are supposed to sit. When I force and hold them in with my fingers, and have them seated approximated how the red bud is sitting, sound quality does get better, less "tinny" and more full, though it probably loses soundstage.

Blue is normal for me, I don't think i have any buds that sit inside the red parameter. If you find the seal lacking use smaller buds with thicker foams to allow some margin for a better seal.

Hiegi full foams, hiegi donuts and VE thick donuts work best for a good seal in my ears with PK and smaller size shells.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #34,327 of 75,272
haven't heard of the HE150 pro yet, but the Datura x has good amount of them (and certainly good impact) that i even sometimes use it without foams. i use thin foams regularly on mine. just be sure not to accidentally cover the vent holes while wearing them. i also like to wear them over ears and they're still comfortable to use like that.

interestingly, from my own experience and also a couple of reviews that I've read about the daturaX, we all wrote the same conclusion: that you can't go wrong with it, especially considering the sub 20 dollar price.

How does it compare with your willsound?

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #34,328 of 75,272

20180905_084913.jpg

i usually wear them on blue area, and make sure they sit on the yellow area that i draw to make sure it has the best bass vibration, and tilt them slightly pointing the ear canal

infact i don't like the sound of earbuds when i shove them too deep like the red area.. it makes the midbass boomy and muddy-up the whole sound and sacrificing soundstage air. there is a few instances though i put it deeper, usually for earbuds with thin sounding mids (or if the song permits that). but i prefer to remedy that with thicker foams than shoving them deeper.

How does it compare with your willsound?

which one? I'll choose the MK2 for comparison:
the MK2 have a more raw and open sound to them which i happen to like more, while daturaX have a more well behave sound. MK2 is more like listening to a headphone, while daturaX like listening to an IEM. no better or worse here, depends on preference and occasion.

sound quality and preference-wise, the Willsound punches really high above their price in SQ in my opinion.
the Datura is a great package for their price: beautiful build, low profile making them great buds for sleeping, good SQ and nicely tuned, nice solid case. i think it safe to say this is my favorite recommendation for 20usd earbuds

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #34,329 of 75,272
i see that you forgot to tag @waynes world . I'll relay the message :ksc75smile:

Ha ha! As much as I'd like them, they are too rich for me! I have only achieved the "$50 earbud status" level so far. I use and appreciate earbuds just as much as headphones, but for some reason I find it hard to spend as much on buds as on headphones. Maybe in time :)

which one? I'll choose the MK2 for comparison:
the MK2 have a more raw and open sound to them which i happen to like more, while daturaX have a more well behave sound. MK2 is more like listening to a headphone, while daturaX like listening to an IEM. no better or worse here, depends on preference and occasion.

sound quality and preference-wise, the Willsound punches really high above their price in SQ in my opinion.
the Datura is a great package for their price: beautiful build, low profile making them great buds for sleeping, good SQ and nicely tuned, nice solid case. i think it safe to say this is my favorite recommendation for 20usd earbuds

That's the challenge for me now. I now listen mainly to the Svara L's and the MK2's and I am completely satisfied with them. Even so, my head-fi consumerism addiction suddenly has kicked in and I am needing to buy something, A "$20 something" will satisfy the itch, But even though the Datura's are only $20, if I appreciate them but end up not listening to them much because I gravitate back to my favorites, then that purchase would be a bit silly. Having said that, I am always on the lookout for "great buds for sleeping", so that may be my excuse! (and I suspect I'd be quite happy with them)

I am also interested in those FENGRU DIY PK1 2.5mm Balance 150oh buds (aka Linsoul BLD 150ohm) because they seem to be a bit more mid-centric which would somewhat different for me and might compliment what I have nicely.

Oh, and I want the Fukubukuro (whatever it is!).

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #34,330 of 75,272
Christmas came early this year
40813262_10212747380188538_5159697616031711232_o.jpg

V.E. Odyssey, BLoX TM9 and V.E. Monk lite 120 ohm

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #34,331 of 75,272
Just got episode three of my recent earbud binge, the TO400s. I'm very happy with them after only a few hours break-in. The bass isn't outstanding, but it sounds great on 90% of what I've thrown at it. Everything else is right where I like it, and very clear & natural sounding. Plays really well with the Mojo.

These are the first set I've had where I liked the full foams over the donuts.

Highly recommended.

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #34,332 of 75,272
Hi to all.
A tried 3 days read this topic, but even now i don`t undrstand, which earbuds The Top at sound.
Blox TM9?
Puresounds PS100-900 Ohm?
From what I know Puresounds don't make 900 Ohm for sales. The flagship one is PS100-600S + 600-core copper cable.

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #34,333 of 75,272
@blackberriesandthinkpads : In case of Meizu EP-21HD, Pk housing and Edifier H180 housing, they can sit in the red-circle of my ears. In case of MX500 housing, it can sit in the blue-circle of my ears. I prefer it sits in the red-circle. Pretty comfort.

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #34,334 of 75,272
Hey, does anyone have the e-mail for willsounds/Wong? :) my friend in Australia wanted to buy a pair from him, because rholupat won't ship to him apparently. hopefully Wong will be able to, because I still just love my mk2s so much that I hope he can try them too.

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #34,335 of 75,272
Ha ha! As much as I'd like them, they are too rich for me! I have only achieved the "$50 earbud status" level so far. I use and appreciate earbuds just as much as headphones, but for some reason I find it hard to spend as much on buds as on headphones. Maybe in time :)

That's the challenge for me now. I now listen mainly to the Svara L's and the MK2's and I am completely satisfied with them. Even so, my head-fi consumerism addiction suddenly has kicked in and I am needing to buy something, A "$20 something" will satisfy the itch, But even though the Datura's are only $20, if I appreciate them but end up not listening to them much because I gravitate back to my favorites, then that purchase would be a bit silly. Having said that, I am always on the lookout for "great buds for sleeping", so that may be my excuse! (and I suspect I'd be quite happy with them)

I am also interested in those FENGRU DIY PK1 2.5mm Balance 150oh buds (aka Linsoul BLD 150ohm) because they seem to be a bit more mid-centric which would somewhat different for me and might compliment what I have nicely.

Oh, and I want the Fukubukuro (whatever it is!).

yup, i also held back from the TM9 because i think for now i already have more than enough. the daturaX was a really impulsive buying at my part when they sell them at 15usd and i really like the look of them. it turns out to be a great buy, but coming back to the question "do i really need it?", then no, i don't need it :o2smile:.
teasing aside, i also think between your zen 1,mk2, and svara, this purchase is not necessary (you could if you want them though :ksc75smile:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back