Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 18, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #30,316 of 75,419
Apr 18, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #30,317 of 75,419
Edit: here's a dumb question... I am looking for a "balanced" cable. Does it need to say "balanced"?

The best clue is the 2.5mm jack. Chat with the seller to make sure

p.s. I can't get the mmcx connectors off of my **** pt15's! Do I need a crowbar or something?

Sometimes slipping a fingernail while pulling can make it easier..and remember to pull straight, never angled, to avoid damaging the connector.

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #30,319 of 75,419
That’s why I suggested the leather punch, much easier.

I cut them by pinching the foam in half and making two cuts in a wedge or inverted V. Then remove the piece of excess foam with a tweezers if needed. Then repeat for each hole.

It’s hard I have ruined a few foams after making many of them. It’s easy to cut too much...

I have posted about how I make these last year and I must admit I've become pretty good since (no wasted foams anymore).
PunchedFoams.jpg

EqgANSaaUZui5Nh03

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #30,320 of 75,419
Just received today my pairs of Willsound MK1 & MK2 (both rev 2) ! :)

Build quality is very good, but in favor of the MK1 (in a beautiful red cable and better finish, while termination jack looks better on the MK2).

On first listening, clearly, MK2 wins. I’m a bit deceived by MK1. I hoped better.

MK1 is clearly designed for relaxing listening (no clarity, not bright, thin soundstage). Looks better for pop musics I would say as well as Piano, instrumental, etc, while MK2 is more balanced and for all genres (EDM also). MK2 has a very good (but not exaggerated) soundstage but both earbuds compared to EMX500S definitely lacks sub-bass. EMX500S is always the most complete sound, the only thing I don’t like is the “extreme” soundstage (a bit like a 3D sphere), but excels everywhere and sounds like full headphones due to sub-bass being present.

I really enjoy currently MK2 sound. Even if it lacks sub-bass, they a still slightly more present than MK1.

MK2 is an all rounder earbud. It has the most impressive listening experience (from all my earbuds).

It has the right amount of everything and lacks nothing. MK1 is more dark sound I would say, it’s more boring but at the same time for very long listening experience, MK1 is still good tho.

MK1 is another grid than the most commons EMX500S & MK2 grids (will maybe take a photo to show you guys if interested). I don’t know if this grid muffle a bit the MK1 drivers, I’m pretty sure it could express differently with the same MK2 grill.

For now, I can’t say which is my best earbuds, but I’m pretty sure that my MK2 will be. Too bad for the sub-bass.

Foams placed on earbuds are the best sounding experience from any other included foams. They are black and extremely fragile (very very thin and spaced, to let the sound express better with a good comfort). These foams looks similar to original Monk+ foams.

They are so fragile that I already damaged very slightly two foams (even if they are still ok, too bad there is no other set like included with the same thickness).

Will try to do a further comparative with EMX500S / MK1 / MK2 (and maybe Blox BE3) soon.

Cheers’ and happy listening :smile_phones:

I kind of have to agree with you on the mark1. At first, I wasn't sure if I just didnt like warm vs neutral because they just sounded similar but more veiled than my clear cable mk2. But it really does feel like its chasing the definition of a warm/rolled off earbud...coming from the mark2 paired with a perfectly smooth/warm source like a cayin n3, it just felt muddy. Wasn't sure if my pairing was wrong, yet the mk1 didnt seem to have more bass than the mk2 on my iphone despite needing almost all the volume. Thankfully, something is wrong with my pair, and the right earbud rattles below 70hz :) at least I can return them thankfully..so I can keep enjoying my mk2 paired with my cayin as the best neutral/warm pairing I have :p

But the willsounds mk2 take wonderfully to a little sub bass EQ. Even on my n3, +2-4db below 60hz made a great difference in bassy songs. Mk2 seems to handle the EQ well, it still sounds detailed...I definitely run a more aggressive EQ on my magni 3, and it still sounds great.

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #30,323 of 75,419
I have posted about how I make these last year and I must admit I've become pretty good since (no wasted foams anymore).

EqgANSaaUZui5Nh03

Did you use a leather/ hole puncher? They look great. I find that the hole in the centre or close to it cleans up the bass and low mids. Anything on the outside will clean up the upper mids and treble.

This also leads me to believe that many earbuds can be tuned by the front grille. PK shell earbuds with a warmer slower bass (mid bass bump too) can be altered if there with some venting in the middle.

I also discovered that my DIY Graphene venting was the cause if it’s bloated mid bass. I wish I had the version with metal grille it probably sounds much more balanced. But nonetheless I modded mine by removing the front cover which wasn’t glued to the driver and making 3 new holes in the very middle. The result is a much more balanced bass response. Extends deep and has a moderate quantity but not excessive mid bass like before.

Really cool how you can mod earbuds this way gives you much more options to tune the sound.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #30,324 of 75,419
Did you use a leather/ hole puncher? They look great. I find that the hole in the centre or close to it cleans up the bass and low mids. Anything on the outside will clean up the upper mids and treble.

This also leads me to believe that many earbuds can be tuned by the front grille. PK shell earbuds with a warmer slower bass (mid bass bump too) can be altered if there with some venting in the middle.

I also discovered that my DIY Graphene venting was the cause if it’s bloated mid bass. I wish I had the version with metal grille it probably sounds much more balanced. But nonetheless I modded mine by removing the front cover which wasn’t glued to the driver and making 3 new holes in the very middle. The result is a much more balanced bass response. Extends deep and has a moderate quantity but not excessive mid bass like before.

Really cool how you can mod earbuds this way gives you much more options to tune the sound.
@seanc6441 Like I described some time back I use the tip of a metal 'Parker' pen (used to punch holes in paper like that when bored in classroom decades ago). Fortunately around 2 years back this came back to my mind to punch foam with the same method. I usually make six or five concentric holes with an additional one in the middle - on some earbuds the latter isn't necessary cause the center of the front grill is devoid of holes (for example MX500). I have since perfected the technique and now I can almost mass produce the punched foams. I have devised a method which regretfully i'll keep to myself for now cause I am thinking of going commercial (to finance my gear purchase cause I am very very cash-strapped and my situation looks to worsen - my wife is due with my second son in two weeks time btw).

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #30,325 of 75,419
@seanc6441 Like I described some time back I use the tip of a metal 'Parker' pen (used to punch holes in paper like that when bored in classroom decades ago). Fortunately around 2 years back this came back to my mind to punch foam with the same method. I usually make six or five concentric holes with an additional one in the middle - on some earbuds the latter isn't necessary cause the center of the front grill is devoid of holes (for example MX500). I have since perfected the technique and now I can almost mass produce the punched foams. I have devised a method which regretfully i'll keep to myself for now cause I am thinking of going commercial (to finance my gear purchase cause I am very very cash-strapped and my situation looks to worsen - my wife is due with my second son in two weeks time btw).
Well I’m sorry to hear about your situation but congrats to you both for your new baby :)

No problem the pen idea is great, I tried searching for your previous post but couldn’t find it so I said I’d ask instead.

Yeah the middle hole is not needed on some, I had a slight variation to yours in the way I put 1 hole in the middle, 3 in the next stage and 3 in the outer stage. But it really depends in the earbud in question for a good pairing.

Anyways thanks for the tips. Great work!

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #30,326 of 75,419
Anyone have the VE Monk Lites? Do they "open up" per-se? I recently received the 40 ohm version and it's really quite a let down compared to Qian 39's. The Qian's are smaller in soundstage, but the sound is much more open with much more depth than the VE Monk Lites. The Monk lites also have a lower treble presence that congests the rest of the sound.

a8wRWgn.jpg

EDIT: I'M AN IDIOT

DO NOT AMP THE VE MONK LITES! These do NOT scale up to more powerful amplication, they do however love a more natural source like the Shozy Alien.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #30,327 of 75,419

It's cool that you were able to improve your old graphenes! But the sound from your modified graphenes is how I would describe the sound from my unmodified ones (which is strange considering we have the same versions).

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #30,328 of 75,419
The Svara L's are pretty incredible though

I was serious about how good I find the Svara L's are for electronica/trance, so your comments are intriguing. If you do actually think three are contenders for that genre, let me know.

A buddy suggested that the Rose Mojito might be similar (at the expense of the svara l's excellent imaging). But due to their price, they would be something that I would look at further down the road.

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #30,329 of 75,419
It's cool that you were able to improve your old graphenes! But the sound from your modified graphenes is how I would describe the sound from my unmodified ones (which is strange considering we have the same versions).
Could be driver variations. Now that the bass is clear and deep I don't have any issues taming the treble without messing up the bass at all. I can easily balance the sound now and it sounds quite good for everything except vocal heavy tracks. I'm still not in love with the signature but i could easily listen to it now and enjoy the music.

With all the tweaks Jim at Nicehck makes to his buds there are bound to be differences.
I was serious about how good I find the Svara L's are for electronica/trance, so your comments are intriguing. If you do actually think three are contenders for that genre, let me know.

A buddy suggested that the Rose Mojito might be similar (at the expense of the svara l's excellent imaging). But due to their price, they would be something that I would look at further down the road.
Rose Mojito imaging is suggested to be lesser than the Svara L? Svara L must have amazing imaging qualities then I’d imagine.

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #30,330 of 75,419

When you posted that i was deep in some hard hitting electronica whilst sporting the Toneking TO400s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back