Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 30, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #29,641 of 75,267
@seanc6441 I am ready to move on for long time. Let's do it.

Mar 30, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #29,642 of 75,267
Time to get back on topic and move forward!

@Yobster69 I see you’re active last few pages, did you catch my post on the 3 hole foam method (by clieOS) I talked about and posted a pic of on my masya and bs1? It’s worked wonders for my masya and probably for yours too :)

Takes away any harshness and gives vocal clarity and a smoother quality than thin foams I had shown to you before.
Hi Sean, yes I had my friend and I have been periodically changing the foams on the Masya (thanks again BTW, fantastic buds, my favourite now) and one ‘experiment’ was some full foams with 4 holes cut into them over a silicone ring. It gave a decent seal for some bass but more room to breathe, which made it fantastic for vocal and acoustic music, but I moved back to a Hiegi donut over a thin donut for EDM listening.

I have also been enjoying the Willsound Mk2’s since they arrived. These are now my second faves behind the Masyas, fantastic buds for just over £30 delivered. I genuinely recommend them and they do not get enough mention in this thread.

92C3E9BF-BADA-4711-A94B-A48781E9EFB4.jpeg

Mar 30, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #29,643 of 75,267
Does anyone know if toneking 400 could be driven from a smartphone(galaxy note 8)? Its 400 ohms but 112 dB sensitivity. For comparison my Shure 1540 full sizesize headphones can be driven fine at 32 ohms 99db sensitivity). This leads me to believe the toneking should be fine as they are more sensitive despite having a much much higher impedance?

On a separate note, would the campfred2 or Shozy BK be noticeably better than the toneking?

Mar 30, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #29,644 of 75,267
Never had a package caught so far from standard mail services. Only time I got charged massively was when penon sent my bs1 by DHL courier (they thought it’d be nice for 5 day delivery) and it was nice, until I get a €37 handling and imports fee on my €50 earbuds... I was pissed off to say the least lol

But not at penon, just at DHL :p

Normally penon use standard mail but this was a special deal done for a promotional discount. I was one of the earlier buyers of the new BS1 so they wanted to get it to us quickly for impressions I think.
Yes the premium shipping like DHL and EMS is often charged for import tax and handling fee (also customs clearance and personal purchasing evidence is sometime need if you ship it to company address).
I had some very bad experiences with them so I moved to regular shipping options although they take more time to arrive. There is hell back then when I ordered the Ve Zen.

Mar 30, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #29,645 of 75,267
Hi Sean, yes I had my friend and I have been periodically changing the foams on the Masya (thanks again BTW, fantastic buds, my favourite now) and one ‘experiment’ was some full foams with 4 holes cut into them over a silicone ring. It gave a decent seal for some bass but more room to breathe, which made it fantastic for vocal and acoustic music, but I moved back to a Hiegi donut over a thin donut for EDM listening.

I have also been enjoying the Willsound Mk2’s since they arrived. These are now my second faves behind the Masyas, fantastic buds for just over £30 delivered. I genuinely recommend them and they do not get enough mention in this thread.

image.jpg

Not too far off :wink:

I went with 3 holes and 3 tiny ones (cannot be seen on the black foam) at the edges for some airy treble without any sharp high’s.

For cutting the trick I found was (assuming you don’t have a hole punch/leather punch) if you pinch the foam and cut out an inverted V it the foam, it forms a a oval shape cut out.

Repeat as necessary using the place you pinch/fold the foam as the centre point.

It’s a remarkable improvement from the edgy vocals from before to a noticeably smoother approach with the same clear crisp quality.

Mar 30, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #29,646 of 75,267
Does anyone know if toneking 400 could be driven from a smartphone(galaxy note 8)? Its 400 ohms but 112 dB sensitivity. For comparison my Shure 1540 full sizesize headphones can be driven fine at 32 ohms 99db sensitivity). This leads me to believe the toneking should be fine as they are more sensitive despite having a much much higher impedance?

On a separate note, would the campfred2 or Shozy BK be noticeably better than the toneking?
I myself won't use an earphone above 64ohms if used with a phone regardless of the sensitivity.

Mar 30, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #29,648 of 75,267
I like using them over ear, but regular down position works nice too.

I hope you'll like it, it is one of the buds that i like very much, both the sound and looks

I'm pretty sure I will like them.

It's interesting though that you and DBaldock9 have the 115ohm version and others including HungryPanda have the 32ohm version, but as far as I can tell, nobody here has heard both to compare.

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #29,649 of 75,267
I think I might go for the toneking400s. I like the removable cables and the price seems acceptable to let me test if earbuds are right for me lifestyle wise. If so I'll be expecting to upgrade very shortly. I'm hoping my phone can drive it, otherwise might have to get a dap or a dragonfly

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #29,652 of 75,267
I can drive the Toneking TO400s from my LG V30, but they sound much better from my desktop dac/amp
Is that true of all your earbuds or just the high impendance ones? I was assuming my V20 would be good with them but I’m looking to get the Hiby R6 when it comes to EU sellers and that’s more powerful than V20/30 so that should do :)

Is it a matter of the power being better or the synergy with your desktop setup being better, if you can tell?

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #29,653 of 75,267
I think I might go for the toneking400s. I like the removable cables and the price seems acceptable to let me test if earbuds are right for me lifestyle wise. If so I'll be expecting to upgrade very shortly. I'm hoping my phone can drive it, otherwise might have to get a dap or a dragonfly

Well...I did, as my first pair to break $50.00 U.S. Lol!
How can you go wrong given all this talk and a price WAY below your $400 budget threshold. I personally would not go that high for buds. Over the ear perhaps and in time but not buds.
I own Sennheiser HD6xx's and AKG-Kxx off Massdrop from here in the U.S. I even have a DarkVoice tube amp on the way for all of these headphones.
But I honestly don't believe your Note 8 will properly drive them at 400 ohms. This based on my iphone X experience with the 150 ohm Seahf AWK-F150C. They're muffled and painfully bad on just my phone, open up with the DAC/AMP. I haven't critically listened yet, I'm having too much fun with my emx500s still in my pocket again today. I have an entire pile of cheaper options I recently acquired so I'm trying to familiarize myself with one at a time.

I intend to use with my portable Creative e5 which is rated to 600 ohms with the Tonekings.

Mar 30, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #29,654 of 75,267
How can you go wrong given all this talk and a price WAY below your $400 budget threshold. I personally would not go that high for buds. Over the ear perhaps and in time but not buds.
I own Sennheiser HD6xx's and AKG-Kxx off Massdrop from here in the U.S. I even have a DarkVoice tube amp on the way for all of these headphones.
But I honestly don't believe your Note 8 will properly drive them at 400 ohms. This based on my iphone X experience with the 150 ohm Seahf AWK-F150C. They're muffled and painfully bad on just my phone, open up with the DAC/AMP. I haven't critically listened yet, I'm having too much fun with my emx500s still in my pocket again today. I have an entire pile of cheaper options I recently acquired so I'm trying to familiarize myself with one at a time.

I intend to use with my portable Creative e5 which is rated to 600 ohms with the Tonekings.
I mean LG V2/30 is rated to 600ohms but I guess that’s a meaningless figure. I’m gonna try it on my V20 see how it goes.

The Hiby dap is 300mw @32ohm but I’m not sure how that translates to 300-600 ohm gear... All I know is it’s bee considered powerful for a DAP so we shall see :)

Also your Iphone X is using the apple audio adapter right? I dunno if that’s doing it justice power wise, may be an inadequate audio usb c adapter for higher impendance stuff.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #29,655 of 75,267

Ah thank you for that information. I almost ordered them based on the sensitivity but will hold fire. At this present moment i don't intend to use earbuds with an external dac (use the mojo with my full-size, but that stays stationary) and I've yet to invest in a dap. Perhaps will have to reconsider something more appropriate for a phone like campfred or shozy BK.

Out of curiotisy, as I have never heard an earbud except the disposable ones included free with various items, how does your best earbud compete against the 6XX I'm terms of sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back