Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 27, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #27,631 of 75,879
These monk lite (40) becoming my favorite. Very balanced, no wrong sound. At first they fell out too easily, then I found some rubber rings from ex pack (monks>thin foams>ring> another thin foam=bliss). Tried to do some comparison with other earbuds but everytime I put monks can't take them out. And 120 version to me has nice warmed up bass to mids but there seems to be some issues up top. Not sure why no hype for 40s, maybe everyone has already monk+?
People seem to be prefering the 120 version (but not everyone).

Jan 27, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #27,632 of 75,879
Hello, a question to all the earbud veterans here - what would you consider the best upgrade from the TY HI-Z 32 ohm, in the < $20 range?

I'm very new to earbuds, and they're not my primary interest at all, but they've proven the best choice for office use. They offer just enough isolation t hear the music fine, and also hear co-workers. Additionally, earbuds are easier to put on/off frequently than IEMs or headphones. I've bought the TY HI-Z as a very cheap 1st choice to test them, and after more than half a year they've served me wonderfully and I was thinking of leveling up the game slightly.

I've set my eyes on the **** PT15 for various reasons: price, looks, detachable cables and positive reviews regarding sound.

I'm not a bass- nor treble-head, but I don't mind a slightly V-shaped signature. Brightness also hasn't bothered me so far. If I had to choose between the lows and highs, I would prefer a slight bump in the general bass area rather then the highs. My favorite IEM is the Tin Audio T2 (unmodded), while for full-sized headphones the ATH-M30 completely satisfies me. As for my preferred music genres, I'm quite eclectic: I've got stuff from death metal to jazz in my library, and listen to it according to my mood that day.

Based on all this, would you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance, all!

upgrade to the Ty32 in the $20 to me is the EMX500. if you can add a bit to your budget, the Willsound MK2 is quite a significant jump in Sq for me.

if you like the Tin Audio T2 (which i also recently acquired and adored), the **** PT15 is similar, but not quite on the same level on the treble quality. soind wise, in that price i would suggest the Edifier H185 better.

the Moondrop family (VX Pro and Liebesleid) have the most similar sound to the T2, but a little bit (and quite a lot) over the price of the PT15

Jan 27, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #27,633 of 75,879
I quite like the sharp md, and prefer them to the vidos. It has better sub bass, clearer mids and tighter, but less mid bass than the vidos. Similar (trash) build quality to the vidos tho

yup I'd take the MD over the Monk any day.

Jan 27, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #27,635 of 75,879
20180127_152224-01.jpeg

Spending my weekend with loaner from a friend: testing the Mojito, Modded Tunes, Shozy BK, Diomnes Lv2, and stock Tunes.

What I've concluded after the session:
1.still thankful that i chose the Liebesleid
2.Still don't like the Mojito
3.the Lv2 is great, but the lows is too fatiguing to me
4.I gotta get the modded Tunes!

Jan 27, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #27,636 of 75,879

Spending my weekend with loaner from a friend: testing the Mojito, Modded Tunes, Shozy BK, Diomnes Lv2, and stock Tunes.

What I've concluded after the session:
1.still thankful that i chose the Liebesleid
2.Still don't like the Mojito
3.the Lv2 is great, but the lows is too fatiguing to me
4.I gotta get the modded Tunes!
Hows that BK, looks custom. How do you feel the sound compares to the others?

You’re lucky to have audiophile friends with such nice earbuds!

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #27,637 of 75,879
Hows that BK, looks custom. How do you feel the sound compares to the others?

You’re lucky to have audiophile friends with such nice earbuds!
the BK is stock. to me the BK have the mids too forward for my taste. the Tunes mod is so much better thatn the BK to my preference (more even across the range, more sparkle on the highs)

yes, I'm very lucky that i can audition most of the TOTLs and finally choose what is really right for me.. really ease my wallet and time! :grin:

Jan 28, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #27,638 of 75,879
the BK is stock. to me the BK have the mids too forward for my taste. the Tunes mod is so much better thatn the BK to my preference (more even across the range, more sparkle on the highs)

yes, I'm very lucky that i can audition most of the TOTLs and finally choose what is really right for me.. really ease my wallet and time! :grin:
Oh I could swear that cable looks purple not brown, probably the lighting :)

Ah yeah I figured as much the bk is quite niche in its use but I still love it’s signature for acoustic and some rock.

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #27,639 of 75,879

What is this modded tunes or tunes mod I am hearing about? Is that the white pair?

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #27,640 of 75,879
What is this modded tunes or tunes mod I am hearing about? Is that the white pair?
yes, the white one. Tunes are made in Thailand, but the modded one I'm not quite sure if it was modded by Tunes themselves or by local modder in my country

Jan 28, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #27,642 of 75,879
Ok, here is some news regarding K's Poseidon pure silver edition - the 2nd batch pre-order has started and it will be very limited in number. Once it is sold out, production will stop. After that only the custom ordered pure gold edition will be available (though mind you, it costs 10 times than the silver edition).

Jan 28, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #27,643 of 75,879
Ok, here is some news regarding K's Poseidon pure silver edition - the 2nd batch pre-order has started and it will be very limited in number. Once it is sold out, production will stop. After that only the custom ordered pure gold edition will be available (though mind you, it costs 10 times than the silver edition).
so if I want to order the silver one, which option should I choose?
I used google translate and get platinum and gold option, "Package A" and "Package two"

Screenshot_20180128-174747.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back