Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 2, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #25,534 of 75,235
Burning in could do some magic and tricky sometimes. Hopefully it will be favoured in your case soon. One thing, I'm not sure everyone will agree or not but anything coming out of youtube is highly compressed. Even HD recording is suffering from it. Have you tried Tidal instead or any other high definition streaming services? At least, they are not as compressed as one in youtube IMO. Hopefully, you could give it a try soon and let us know here.
i tried some standalone downloaded dolby demos on the net.. especially the leaf demo.. the graphene sound comes off as raw, big, and one whole sound..

btw i notice that some of the mid bass seems to come out a bit ..just a tiny bit..

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #25,536 of 75,235
Right then i need this thread :) any suggestions where i can it?
IEM’s are the in ear variants. With the silicone tips. Earbuds are the classic vented design which you usually cover with a foam cover.

IEM’s are like the closed back headphones of the earphone world, earbuds are more like open back.

Dec 2, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #25,537 of 75,235
Earbud to the left and IEM to the right (I "borrowed" the photo online):
_DSC1464A.jpg

(Edit: found a better photo online)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #25,538 of 75,235
It has been awhile since the last time I listened to my Clear Graphene( not the latest one ).. I remember I do really like it with Monk+ thin foam before. Switched the foam to stock( thicker than Monk+ ) for almost 1 month and a half, I felt confused with the sound as it didnt sound as good as I would remember them previously. They sounded cloudy yellowish background as compared to blacker background, hardly transparent, details are glossed over and smoothed out a bit too much and depth is average at best. Now, I put the Monk+ foam back on, everything turn back to normal and this is the Graphene that I used to love before. Btw, I use chord mojo which is relatively smooth and a bit warm. I recommend Graphene with Monk+ foam personally especially if you have smooth and warm source or player/amp. Do anyone experience the same? Please let me know. Would like to hear out other opinions

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #25,539 of 75,235
These sudden mention if RY4s made me wanna try one. Does it really balance out the mid bass compared to emx500? I really like the sound of it with slight mid bass and 4k raised eq.

Dec 2, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #25,540 of 75,235
It has been awhile since the last time I listened to my Clear Graphene( not the latest one ).. I remember I do really like it with Monk+ thin foam before. Switched the foam to stock( thicker than Monk+ ) for almost 1 month and a half, I felt confused with the sound as it didnt sound as good as I would remember them previously. They sounded cloudy yellowish background as compared to blacker background, hardly transparent, details are glossed over and smoothed out a bit too much and depth is average at best. Now, I put the Monk+ foam back on, everything turn back to normal and this is the Graphene that I used to love before. Btw, I use chord mojo which is relatively smooth and a bit warm. I recommend Graphene with Monk+ foam personally especially if you have smooth and warm source or player/amp. Do anyone experience the same? Please let me know. Would like to hear out other opinions
I pretty much only use combinations of monk foams (monk thin or new monk semi thin) because the detail is just that much better.

So yeah I do experience it too :)

Dec 2, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #25,541 of 75,235
I pretty much only use combinations of monk foams (monk thin or new monk semi thin) because the detail is just that much better.

So yeah I do experience it too :)

Thanks for the response. I'm actually quite surprised that it does not just affect the details, but pretty much overall performance is quite subdued and compromised.

Additional note: I was comparing Graphene and K's 500 today. So, the K's500 totally taken the lead by quite far compared to the stock foam'd Graphene. I thought Graphene was just losing the 'mojo' standing up against something like the K's500. Thus, forced me to fast switching to the Monk thin foam and I felt relieved.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #25,542 of 75,235

I'll have to try other foams to hear what you're talking about. Edit: but yeah, the monk+ thin foams for the win on many buds.

I use the donut foams on the graphenes. Have you tried the donuts? If so, what do you think?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #25,543 of 75,235
I'll have to try other foams to hear what you're talking about. Edit: but yeah, the monk+ thin foams for the win on many buds.

I use the donut foams on the graphenes. Have you tried the donuts? If so, what do you think?

I have tried the stock donut foam before but it was quite sometimes ago. So, basing on that memory alone, it fares a bit better than full stock foam. Love the mid bass impact with the untainted treble but it hurts the imaging quite a bit. I will try again later with donut foam. Btw, this is solely basing on my setup. It might work differently to other persons. IMHO

Dec 2, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #25,544 of 75,235
These sudden mention if RY4s made me wanna try one. Does it really balance out the mid bass compared to emx500? I really like the sound of it with slight mid bass and 4k raised eq.
I think that it is suitable for EDM etc. and balanced.
Please try it.
However, there is no effect on music with little bass.(like folk music)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back