Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 20, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #23,086 of 75,253
If I may jump in... is there a bud that would be a significant step up from the Monk+ ? I enjoy the clarity, sparkle, and engagement of the VE but would love better imaging, musicality, and impact. Any ideas?

Shrink ray some portaPros? :upside_down:

Sep 20, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #23,087 of 75,253
If I may jump in... is there a bud that would be a significant step up from the Monk+ ? I enjoy the clarity, sparkle, and engagement of the VE but would love better imaging, musicality, and impact. Any ideas?

For me personally a step up from the Monk+ won't be found until you spend quite a bit more, although you may find something with a sound signature you prefer, but I really like the Monk+. I'd class the Asura 2 and the TY HP-320 the lowest cost buds I've found to be a step up.

Sep 20, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #23,088 of 75,253
I think RX-1 would benefit from sub-bass to add some warmth it needs. It sounds mids forward due to lack of low end, and fairly even low to high treble. It has better textures than the Monk+ and sounds more defined, but obviously lacking bass compared to the Monk+ reducing dynamics. It's the insufficient low-end creates the vocals to sound a bit forward on the RX-1. I think the upper bass light to keep the mids more articulate. The high treble and reduction of the low-end creates a large sound stage for me. Sub-bass would create a better sound stage with ambiance feel. I like the high treble, nice extension. For me, low treble is at the right level as well, and transitions well to the high treble.

to me personally the RX-1 have a bigger bass volume and extend a bit lower than the monk plus

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #23,089 of 75,253
Lately I need a pair of inexpensive earbuds with mic for my phone, so I bought 2 pairs based on their reputations from here, 1more EO320 and Toneking TP16.
They are at the same price range but I have to say, TP16 is a much much better earbud.
Of the 2 EO320 without doubt is the better product, better made, better handy control & all, but sound-wise, it sounds so thin and less detailed, I find it difficult to pick it up alongside TP16.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #23,090 of 75,253
I recommend Toneking TP16, great buds

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #23,092 of 75,253
What?! You can't be serious. Monk+ has higher bass and impact with lower treble emphasis if comparing to RX-1. RX-1 is more leveled off in the treble transition.

yes, i am serious :ksc75smile:
to me monk plus never reach to low bass. they may have mid bass thump, but not down low. the RX-1 reach lower (although not very far from monk plus). that is why i never seem to like monk plus. maybe it's subjective, so it's better to crosscheck to other's experience too

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #23,093 of 75,253
Maybe the Rose Masya (90-100), that's what I went for, I'll have it soon to share my impressions but many have already given it glowing reviews for its balanced/slightly vocal orientated sound, soundstage, clarity and separation and it's 'musical' presentation with touch of warmth that helps it avoid being analytical. Of course these are the general opinions of the reviewers and not my own.

There's also the Diy Graphene which you can read impressions of by looking at the previous few pages of this thread for 30usd. Although that bud is probably abit brighter than the monk + but overall is quite balanced apparently.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #23,094 of 75,253
yes, i am serious :ksc75smile:
to me monk plus never reach to low bass. they may have mid bass thump, but not down low. the RX-1 reach lower (although not very far from monk plus). that is why i never seem to like monk plus. maybe it's subjective, so it's better to crosscheck to other's experience too
I blame partially the low level bass to less seal due to larger than typical speaker diameter(which reduces seal) compared to something like Monk+ which fits well or better. I find RX-1 doesn't have much forwardness of the spectrum(although mids can be argue'd relatively due to other areas not so forward as low treble-upper mids and upper bass are the common hot areas). Just enough for mids and highs articulation and sense greater sound stage.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #23,097 of 75,253
PortaPro + more expansive sound stage is almost always what I'm looking for...

Thanks all for the advice- the Masya, BK, and Asura all sound similar to what I'm looking for.

As a Porta Pro fan, the carbon fiber Masya sounds excellent to my ears.

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #23,098 of 75,253
upload_2017-9-20_21-9-47.png

Well i got the rest of my buds today.... Here is my whole collection.

top left to right
Ty650
Nicehck graphene
T-music (gen 1)
Monks
Auglamour rx1
Nicehck pk2
Rose Masya
K's 300 Samsara
MX500
Vido
Sony e808+
lastly **** pt15

ohhh and i forgot to get the qian 39 in this shot =(

Anyway Basically the ones that are out of the cases/packaging are the good ones IMO. The rest have their uses but i feel they are more niche. I will go into more detail on these earbuds at a latter date as i have some comparing to do between the mx500 and vido these two buds are quite impressive given their price point. I will be trying to find their weaknesses. Basically these two have a very similar sound signature to themselves and the K's Samsara. ***Note that even though the signature is the same this does not mean same quality i will need some time to compare them.

The PK2 is probably the most strange or interesting out of the bunch as far as its sound signature, its basically W shaped its very unique indeed. Not bad but unique and by unique I mean that no other earbud sounds like them that I own.

basic review

Ty650 - Very mellow earbud it is what i would consider the upgrade path from the Monk plus. Mid centric with a more analogue sound.

Nickhck Graphene - Bright earbud lots of details and energetic I find them fatiguing, these would be an upgrade from the **** pt15.

T-music - Dont buy these

Monks - Mid centric with a veiled sound signature I dont really like them. The upgrade from these would be the ty650 which lifts that veil quite a bit but keeps the overal signature imo.

Auglamlour - One trick pony for mid lovers, Lack bass and sparkle on high end. Basicly a mid bud, dont like these either.

Nicehck pk2 - Very unique sound signature out of the whole lot these are the only ones that have a W shaped signature its very interesting you would have to listen to it to understand fully how different these are from the rest.

Rose Masya - Very clean and crystal clear earbud. Very neutral sound signature and very detailed. These are great all rounders although sometimes but not too frequently can be a tad too bright. But these handle bass and vocals very well.

K's 300 Samsara - These at first I was unsure about something sounded off in the mid to high range but i figured it out DO NOT USE FULL FOAM on these EVER!!! (except for maybe the ultra thin ones that come with monks) These buds have the best bass out of the bunch as far as quantity but is slightly behind in quality compared to Masya. Mids are very good on this earbud a tad better than those on the Masya whom i find to be a little thin sometimes. Highs on this earbud are very good but you cant use full foam or they get messed up badly. I would say the highs are a little less in comparison to masya as far as air and everything goes but still very good.

Mx500 and Vido share similar sound sig to the Samsara I will need to compare more but basically these earbuds punch above their price point. I have not had a whole lot of listening time with them but they are both very good however they are a little bit more congested and are more closed in compared to Samsara.

Sony e808+ - These are if you just want pure BASS, they really go deep in the bass department but their highs are kind of weird and the mids recessed.

**** pt 15 - High centric bud for all you high frequency lovers however i would probably recommend the Nicehck graphene over these they keep the good high end but balance out the rest of the frequencies better than these.

Qian 39 - These are very warm mid centric buds with good bass. Highs are a little rolled off on these. These buds are also kind of unique sounding almost analogue like I suppose. They are very pleasant to listen to. These also have very good layering/separation, you can pick out each instrument being played and listen to just it if you focus on it.

So that pretty much sums it up hope this helps you all in your future purchases. I will further compare those vidos and mx500s at a latter date.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #23,099 of 75,253
Oh and if your wondering my favorite so far is the K's Samsara with donuts. It has more bass than Masya just a slight bit less detailed. Its mids are a tad bit more filled out than the masya. The highs are not quite as good as the masaya but are quite good with donuts. What it really comes down to is the that Samsara just has a way with everything that just makes you want to keep listening. You cant really go wrong with either i really love both the Masya and Samsara. But I do slightly perfer the Samsara as it is just that little bit more pleasing to listen too.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #23,100 of 75,253
Oh and if your wondering my favorite so far is the K's Samsara with donuts. It has more bass than Masya just a slight bit less detailed. Its mids are a tad bit more filled out than the masya. The highs are not quite as good as the masaya but are quite good with donuts. What it really comes down to is the that Samsara just has a way with everything that just makes you want to keep listening. You cant really go wrong with either i really love both the Masya and Samsara. But I do slightly perfer the Samsara as it is just that little bit more pleasing to listen too.

recently got the masya as an upgrade to the asura 2.0 and love them, fits better too, how does the samsara soundstage compare to the masyas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back