Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 2, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #21,257 of 75,296
I already got Puresounds PS100-600S with 600-core cable 2.5mm balanced last week. Initial impression is quite good. mid-bass, bass impact, resolution are improved from my PS100-500 Pop balanced. Soundstage is wider. It is 3D-dimenisonal soundstage. Cable is sturdy and very long (around 1.6m, I guess). However it need to burn-in more 150-200 hours.

IMG_20170703_095355_3.jpg

Jul 3, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #21,263 of 75,296
your requirement of big bass are different from others. it show by how you describe vido having less bass to the SHE3800. the vido is deeper, has more sub and low bass, while the SHE3800 is thumpier, less deep but has more low to mid bass.

from memory, you might want to check the Qian39 and Edifier H180. they both might fit your needs and (to me,) a few steps better than the SHE3800. they don't have mics though

also, blasting away in volumes with earbuds is definitely not safe for your ears. you better use IEMs, because they isolate noise better, you will use less volume. hearing your own voice unnaturally with IEMs is small inconvinience than accelerated hearing loss
I like the Bass in SHE3800. More thumping and Booming. Edified 180 has Mic version which is P180 (H180 without Mic). But I am not sure if that is having better thumping Bass than 3800 or what? Qian 39 or Qian 25 do not have Mic version. I don't listen to music on High volume. Mostly around 50% or even less than that.

I also feel that any High impedence bud should also be fine and might not be broken with these settings. But I don't know if any high impedence bud is there which has SHE3800 kind of sound and have Mic too. Are you aware of any?

Jul 3, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #21,264 of 75,296
MK801 - I think they stopped making them. On Amazon they were being sold off for cheap a while back. But read the reviews, may not have enough bass for your taste. But they have a mic!

https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/...-line-microphone-and-remote-red.21290/reviews
Thanks Ira. I would still prefer Earbuds. One thing regarding the setting of PowerAmp, do you think if High Impedence earbuds should address the issue of speakers breaking due to these settings? Or It will not make any difference. I guess I should use Monk+ for next few days and see if that also broken down or work perfect even with these settings. But I don't know if any high impedence bud is there which has 3800 kind of sound and with Mic too.

Jul 3, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #21,265 of 75,296
I apologize if maybe this question already answered. Tho i still dont know what is it about ohm number? What is the effect to SQ? And more mistery to me, why it is getting pricier the higher the number is? I know not all, but still a common thing.

I'll be happy if our sifu could shed some light to this newb.
Not necessarily .. Mojito have 21 ohm, CM700 16, NW Studio Neo 34, etc ..

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #21,266 of 75,296
I apologize if maybe this question already answered. Tho i still dont know what is it about ohm number? What is the effect to SQ? And more mistery to me, why it is getting pricier the higher the number is? I know not all, but still a common thing.

I'll be happy if our sifu could shed some light to this newb.

High impedance headphones do not necessarily create a higher quality of sound. High impedance will give you an advantage when pairing with a source with high output impedance. If you pair a low impedance headphone with a source with high output impedance, such as the headphone output of an old speaker amp, you will create a bump in the frequency response of the headphone around the resonant frequency of the driver. Most good sources designed for low impedance headphones have very low or zero output impedance, which makes this issue of little concern when using such a source.

Some sources will output more distortion into low impedance loads, commonly tube amps, so when using such a source, high impedance headphones will have an advantage there as well. If you have a good source that was designed for use with low impedance headphones then this will likely not be of concern.

High impedance earbud drivers may be marginally more expensive to produce so that might explain some of the difference in price. However, my opinion is that it is mostly marketing hype. I'm not saying there aren't really great high impedance earbuds, there obviously are, but there are also TOTL low impedance earbuds, so its not just impedance that matters. This link might be of interest to you.

Thanks Ira. I would still prefer Earbuds. One thing regarding the setting of PowerAmp, do you think if High Impedence earbuds should address the issue of speakers breaking due to these settings? Or It will not make any difference. I guess I should use Monk+ for next few days and see if that also broken down or work perfect even with these settings. But I don't know if any high impedence bud is there which has 3800 kind of sound and with Mic too.

I have taken apart both high and low impedance earbuds and looked a the drivers up close. In the drivers I examined, the driver technology was more or less identical, as far as I could tell with the naked eye anyway. The exception being the voicecoil of course. The main difference between a low and high impedance driver is that the high impedance driver uses many more wraps of thinner gauge wire in the voicecoil compared to the low impedance driver.

These very thin wires travel from the solder pads on the back of the driver magnet towards the edge of the driver, then enter a notch in the edge of the rear driver assembly, and travel along the driver membrane until they finally reach the voicecoil.

I don't know in exactly what way your earbuds are breaking, but I will say that these tiny voicecoil wires are by far the most fragile part of an earbud driver, and if you are somehow breaking these wires in a low impedance driver, you will likely break them in a high impedance driver as well because the wires are even more fragile in a high impedance driver.

Now that may not actually be your problem, but I just wanted to point out that high impedance drivers are not by design more rugged, and I would not just assume they can handle more abuse. Whether or not a driver can hold up to your level of EQ may not just be a simple matter of higher impedance = better.

In the realm of speaker drivers, I know when you stress them beyond their capabilities with too much bass, you can end up warping the voicecoil due to the heat generated in the coil. This can cause the coil to rub on the magnet and cause very audible distortion, and also lower sensitivity of the driver. This may be what is happening to you but I can't say. I don't know how often this happens with headphone drivers, and if it is the problem, I also can't say if a higher impedance voicecoil would be better.

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #21,267 of 75,296
I like the Bass in SHE3800. More thumping and Booming. Edified 180 has Mic version which is P180 (H180 without Mic). But I am not sure if that is having better thumping Bass than 3800 or what? Qian 39 or Qian 25 do not have Mic version. I don't listen to music on High volume. Mostly around 50% or even less than that.

I also feel that any High impedence bud should also be fine and might not be broken with these settings. But I don't know if any high impedence bud is there which has SHE3800 kind of sound and have Mic too. Are you aware of any?

the edifier H180 is more in line with the SHE3800, and in my personal opinion is better than the SHE3800. as far as high impedance buds, i don't have any experience with them, so i'm afraid i can't comment on them. you can see what earphones i have (and had) in my profile.

if you don't mind me asking, what kind of music/ artists that you like to listen to? so that maybe i can figure out a suggestion?

Jul 3, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #21,268 of 75,296
the edifier H180 is more in line with the SHE3800, and in my personal opinion is better than the SHE3800. as far as high impedance buds, i don't have any experience with them, so i'm afraid i can't comment on them. you can see what earphones i have (and had) in my profile.

if you don't mind me asking, what kind of music/ artists that you like to listen to? so that maybe i can figure out a suggestion?
So 180 also has same kind of thumping bass and warm sound? I usually listen to range of music. Mostly Indian Songs and in English R&B, Pop, Elton John and so many. Not very specific. But most of the times I will be listening to Indian songs only.

Jul 3, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #21,269 of 75,296
High impedance headphones do not necessarily create a higher quality of sound. High impedance will give you an advantage when pairing with a source with high output impedance. If you pair a low impedance headphone with a source with high output impedance, such as the headphone output of an old speaker amp, you will create a bump in the frequency response of the headphone around the resonant frequency of the driver. Most good sources designed for low impedance headphones have very low or zero output impedance, which makes this issue of little concern when using such a source.

Some sources will output more distortion into low impedance loads, commonly tube amps, so when using such a source, high impedance headphones will have an advantage there as well. If you have a good source that was designed for use with low impedance headphones then this will likely not be of concern.

High impedance earbud drivers may be marginally more expensive to produce so that might explain some of the difference in price. However, my opinion is that it is mostly marketing hype. I'm not saying there aren't really great high impedance earbuds, there obviously are, but there are also TOTL low impedance earbuds, so its not just impedance that matters. This link might be of interest to you.

I have taken apart both high and low impedance earbuds and looked a the drivers up close. In the drivers I examined, the driver technology was more or less identical, as far as I could tell with the naked eye anyway. The exception being the voicecoil of course. The main difference between a low and high impedance driver is that the high impedance driver uses many more wraps of thinner gauge wire in the voicecoil compared to the low impedance driver.

These very thin wires travel from the solder pads on the back of the driver magnet towards the edge of the driver, then enter a notch in the edge of the rear driver assembly, and travel along the driver membrane until they finally reach the voicecoil.

I don't know in exactly what way your earbuds are breaking, but I will say that these tiny voicecoil wires are by far the most fragile part of an earbud driver, and if you are somehow breaking these wires in a low impedance driver, you will likely break them in a high impedance driver as well because the wires are even more fragile in a high impedance driver.

Now that may not actually be your problem, but I just wanted to point out that high impedance drivers are not by design more rugged, and I would not just assume they can handle more abuse. Whether or not a driver can hold up to your level of EQ may not just be a simple matter of higher impedance = better.

In the realm of speaker drivers, I know when you stress them beyond their capabilities with too much bass, you can end up warping the voicecoil due to the heat generated in the coil. This can cause the coil to rub on the magnet and cause very audible distortion, and also lower sensitivity of the driver. This may be what is happening to you but I can't say. I don't know how often this happens with headphone drivers, and if it is the problem, I also can't say if a higher impedance voicecoil would be better.
As you mentioned that Voicecoil may be even fragile in High Impedence buds, then I guess I shud at least not use or think, This is true that too much Bass is actually warping the driver but does that mean that you forget about listening to heavy bass sound if you are using Eabuds? Is there no earbud which can handle tons of Bass and Amp easily.

Jul 3, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #21,270 of 75,296
As you mentioned that Voicecoil may be even fragile in High Impedence buds, then I guess I shud at least not use or think, This is true that too much Bass is actually warping the driver but does that mean that you forget about listening to heavy bass sound if you are using Eabuds? Is there no earbud which can handle tons of Bass and Amp easily.

I use earbuds more than any other headphone type. I find the bass capabilities of earbuds to be perfectly adequate for my tastes.

I am saying that the voicecoil wires are more fragile in high impedance earbud drivers, but I am not saying there isn't a high impedance earbud out there that could handle your bass requirements. My point is, don't assume anything about how rugged an earbud is based on impedance. You seemed to think getting a high impedance earbud would solve your problem, I'm saying maybe not.

I honestly have no idea what to recommend for your bass and EQ requirements. It may be that no earbud is capable of surviving your level of EQ, but I can't say. I think you either need to find someone else who uses the same EQ settings who can tell you what works, or you just need to take a chance and purchase something, knowing you might end up breaking it anyway. Also the fact that you need a mic is severely limiting your options. Maybe consider having two pairs of earbuds with you at all times, one with mic for phone calls, and the other your critical listening earbud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back