Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 6, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #18,601 of 75,451
Well, to start with - according to the Audio Check high frequency sweeps [ http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php ], my hearing only goes out to ~14 - 15-KHz these days, so if the PT15 has peaks above that, I'm probably not going to hear it.

On my PT15, I'm using a donut foam under a full foam (both standard thickness), mainly for fit, but I suppose some of the Treble is being attenuated as well.

I bought the Qian39 & Qian25 to experiment with re-cabling (bought some wire and 2.5mm TRRS plugs, along with the latest group of earbuds).

I've noticed the Zen 2 in VE's AliExpress store - and I'm curious about how it sounds, compared to some of other earbuds in the $100 - $200 range (like the TY Hi-Z 650, Shozy BK / Stardust (2.5TRRS), PureSounds PS100-600, & Seahf 650).  If the Zen 2 has the Midrange clarity of the Asura 2.0, and additional Bass impact, it would definitely interest me.  The only issue, is that earbuds the size of the Monk Plus & Asura aren't really comfortable and secure on my ears, unless I wear them over-the-ear, with silicone ear hooks on the wire.

the Zen is worth it...provided you have a source with decent ooomph. I specifically love the zen2.0 for its overall balanced and immersive soundstage.

if you liked the Lz-A4, the Zen would be the next best thing (for slightly less). I feel though that the A4 has a sweet spot in the upper mids/lower treble the Zen 2.0 can't touch.

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #18,603 of 75,451
"VE Monk + Pinoy Edition !!!!!

Headphones and Earphones Enthusiast of the Philippines (HEEP) and Venture Electronics are collaborating on this exciting project ... something no audiophile group in the world has ever done before. Wow!"

Elibuds Sabia and Earbuds Lover Indonesia ELI has done it 1st sir. Now they have many products of earbud from the collab, don't you know?

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #18,605 of 75,451
Hi vapan, We feel upset about what hotfi did also,
If they don't change price tomorrow we'll never offer earbus to them anymore,
BTW ,thank for your review again.
you are an icon of honest, good job !

Today I look up his store. The price of PS100-500 was changed. (become lower) 

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #18,606 of 75,451
Well, to start with - according to the Audio Check high frequency sweeps [ http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php ], my hearing only goes out to ~14 - 15-KHz these days, so if the PT15 has peaks above that, I'm probably not going to hear it.

On my PT15, I'm using a donut foam under a full foam (both standard thickness), mainly for fit, but I suppose some of the Treble is being attenuated as well.

I bought the Qian39 & Qian25 to experiment with re-cabling (bought some wire and 2.5mm TRRS plugs, along with the latest group of earbuds).

I've noticed the Zen 2 in VE's AliExpress store - and I'm curious about how it sounds, compared to some of other earbuds in the $100 - $200 range (like the TY Hi-Z 650, Shozy BK / Stardust (2.5TRRS), PureSounds PS100-600, & Seahf 650).  If the Zen 2 has the Midrange clarity of the Asura 2.0, and additional Bass impact, it would definitely interest me.  The only issue, is that earbuds the size of the Monk Plus & Asura aren't really comfortable and secure on my ears, unless I wear them over-the-ear, with silicone ear hooks on the wire.

Ah, if it's more bass impact you're looking for, the Zen 2 may not be for you. It sounds wonderful though, possibly a love-it-or-hate-it option as views seem to vary from disappointment to 'Wow!', I'm in the 'Wow!' camp.

Fit-wise as it's recommended to use without foams, I couldn't really recommend if you have fit issues with the VE earbuds.

Would you have similar fit issues with the TY and Seahf earbuds?

beware zen 2 has a more detailed but also more veiled sounding mid and far less bass impact and reach compared to asura 2 though
ps600 is not a bad choice if you want the mids of asura 2 and more bass without eq....

I love the sound, it's like concentrated gorgeousness :-D but I agree it probably has less bass impact than the Asura 2.

@vapman, have you tried the RY4S. I'd be interested to see how you found it, as it's pretty bassy yet I still really like it, and it's practically free :-D

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #18,607 of 75,451
It seems that Laoze uses the mx760 drivers, but because of the smaller case the earbufs sound brighter, more detailed, but also with more compression.. :hushed:
17017196_1327634387331037_7660949645336267105_o.jpg
17192058_1327634390664370_2838599448891373015_o.jpg

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #18,609 of 75,451
Ah, if it's more bass impact you're looking for, the Zen 2 may not be for you. It sounds wonderful though, possibly a love-it-or-hate-it option as views seem to vary from disappointment to 'Wow!', I'm in the 'Wow!' camp.

Fit-wise as it's recommended to use without foams, I couldn't really recommend if you have fit issues with the VE earbuds.

Would you have similar fit issues with the TY and Seahf earbuds?
I love the sound, it's like concentrated gorgeousness :-D but I agree it probably has less bass impact than the Asura 2.

@vapman, have you tried the RY4S. I'd be interested to see how you found it, as it's pretty bassy yet I still really like it, and it's practically free :-D

Zen 2.0 having less bass than Asura 2.0? uhhhhh bro you might wanna use them rubber fits or hooks. Asura felt more out of balance with the lower half of the spectrum.

unless there's shoddy make in the last batch :S

Asura 2 is brighter because of upper mid emphasis, but Zen 2.0 possesses pretty good resolution.

wait...unless I misread. kindly disregard my comment:s

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #18,610 of 75,451
Zen 2.0 having less bass than Asura 2.0? uhhhhh bro you might wanna use them rubber fits or hooks. Asura felt more out of balance with the lower half of the spectrum.

unless there's shoddy make in the last batch :S

Asura 2 is brighter because of upper mid emphasis, but Zen 2.0 possesses pretty good resolution.

If you are hearing more bass from Zen 2 I am gonna wonder if you Asura is in working condition. Or if you are using both of a weak DAP.

I can't speak for all DAPs because low power players are so weird about sound sig consistency and I hate low power output. No EQ but a decent amp plug in Zen 2 and Asura 2. Asura should sound like a sub bass monster in comparison. With EQ the difference is even more obvious.

Zen 2 is never going to have more bass, regardless of what tricks you do for fitting it. It has a very early sub bass roll off. Try it with an amp if you don't believe me, and i've had several of both Zen 2 and Asura 2 so i know all mine have been in fully functioning order.

@flamesofarctica  - Not heard RY4S yet. Can anyone confirm if it's a unique driver? I have so many mx500 based designs it's hard to want any more, especially when I know I have the heaviest bass earbud design 
biggrin.gif
 so RY4S would have to be REALLY crazy to beat my bass champions. And i have to be curious if the listed sensitivity for RY4S of 95dB±3dB is really true. that would be very non-sensitive if so, would need an amp for sure...? does yours? Even at 4.99 I barely feel an urge to get it 
redface.gif
 Have you ever amped yours?

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #18,611 of 75,451
I use a Shanling M3. it's pretty generous in power. :wink:

I got to audition Asura and Zen last year, as part of a tour. I've decided to save up because the M3 and Zen 3 were a perfect matching compared to other gear.

I think Brooko's reviews did a nice representative job of measuring graphs and all... so yeah. Zen 2.0 is a tricky beast but can pretty much wipe a lot of good iem hybrids.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #18,612 of 75,451
I use a Shanling M3. it's pretty generous in power.
wink.gif

I got to audition Asura and Zen last year, as part of a tour. I've decided to save up because the M3 and Zen 3 were a perfect matching compared to other gear.

I think Brooko's reviews did a nice representative job of measuring graphs and all... so yeah. Zen 2.0 is a tricky beast but can pretty much wipe a lot of good iem hybrids.

Oh in comparison to IEM Hybrids I don't think there's really any question Zen 2 is better than most IEM, hybrid or not, in anything except bass reach/impact....

Asura 2 wakes up a lot more as you give it more juice. Zen 2 not nearly as much. Zen 2 plateaus much earlier and stops benefitting from increased power, whereas you can give the Asura 2.0 several full watts of power, compensate volume to not blow out your ears, and the bass becomes like a full sized stereo.

I don't enjoy using my Asura 2 directly from a DAP or phone. I think it sounds very lifeless and the bass has no power in comparison to a well amped one. Your M3 has 250mW @ 32Ω; 16mW @ 300Ω for power specs. When you said generous in power, I was expecting to see 500+ for 32 ohms... yeah that is fine for a zen but nowhere near proper Asura 2 power. Asura 2 is 150 ohms, so it's going to get around 100 mW from the M3. ain't enough!

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #18,613 of 75,451
Oh in comparison to IEM Hybrids I don't think there's really any question Zen 2 is better than most IEM, hybrid or not, in anything except bass reach/impact....

Asura 2 wakes up a lot more as you give it more juice. Zen 2 not nearly as much. Zen 2 plateaus much earlier and stops benefitting from increased power, whereas you can give the Asura 2.0 several full watts of power, compensate volume to not blow out your ears, and the bass becomes like a full sized stereo.

I don't enjoy using my Asura 2 directly from a DAP or phone. I think it sounds very lifeless and the bass has no power in comparison to a well amped one. Your M3 has 250mW @ 32Ω; 16mW @ 300Ω for power specs. When you said generous in power, I was expecting to see 500+ for 32 ohms... yeah that is fine for a zen but nowhere near proper Asura 2 power. Asura 2 is 150 ohms, so it's going to get around 100 mW from the M3. ain't enough!

don't have Asura any longer but I wouldn't question what good power can do for bass presence in general (let alone soundstage).

wait wasn't the Zen 2.0 at 320 ohms???

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #18,614 of 75,451
don't have Asura any longer but I wouldn't question what good power can do for bass presence in general (let alone soundstage).

wait wasn't the Zen 2.0 at 320 ohms???

Yup Zen 2 is 320 so your m3 would have pushed roughly 15 mW to it. The Zen 2 has a very sensitive driver relative to its high impedance, so it actually works surprisingly well on sources that are very low on wattage. I remember I was able to play Sony PSP with the Zen 2 plugged in and it both sounded great and got louder than i'd want it to. But the Baldor E100 (32 ohm but low sensitivity) sounded still very quiet at max volume on the PSP.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #18,615 of 75,451
Dont know about the Zen 2.0 but I can confirm what vapman said about the Asura 2.0. I use to have a normal TRS Asura 2.0 and it sound bright and a very weak bass on mobile phone or with Fiio Q1, but now when i have a balance TRRS Asura 2.0 with the Aune M1s, Asura 2.0 bass is just alot better. Maybe it still need more power to shine :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back