Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 5, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #18,526 of 75,236
A person who has heard both golden reference and Black told me that G.R has got better and deeper bass while Black has got better details. Bass is neutral on Black and I do prefer bass on CampFred. Other than that Black is on a different level compared to CampFred. You could get both CAX Black and Zen Black for a little over $600. $730 is just too much in my opinion.

The golden reference is tuned for your needs. I picked the opposite, details instead of better bass.

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #18,527 of 75,236
Okay. But that sounds more like a custom made earbud, like Cypherus Silver Warrior which was only made in 1 pair on special order. GR was only made in 2 pairs and never intended for sale. The same was originally the case for CAX Black, but a few of us managed to buy a pair. I am a big Cypherus fan and I suppose I am guilty of the Cypherus hype starting here after buying QFred last October and then right away buying CampFred and CAX Black and then praising them all. But I do find it difficult to believe that a custom tuned GR would be so much better than the already truly great CAX Black. At least not to make it more than twice as expensive as CAX Black. Well, if the parts cost over $4-500 it might justify the high price but I don't think that's the case. Of course everyone is free to choose how they spend their money. Some would not spend over $100 on a pair of earbuds...

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #18,528 of 75,236
I guess the main reason to buy something like that is the same reason someone would buy Senn Orpheus.  Plus, if it's tuned correctly, a custom at that level matching your preference would be amazing.

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #18,529 of 75,236
Okay. But that sounds more like a custom made earbud, like Cypherus Silver Warrior which was only made in 1 pair on special order. GR was only made in 2 pairs and never intended for sale. The same was originally the case for CAX Black, but a few of us managed to buy a pair. I am a big Cypherus fan and I suppose I am guilty of the Cypherus hype starting here after buying QFred last October and then right away buying CampFred and CAX Black and then praising them all. But I do find it difficult to believe that a custom tuned GR would be so much better than the already truly great CAX Black. At least not to make it more than twice as expensive as CAX Black. Well, if the parts cost over $4-500 it might justify the high price but I don't think that's the case. Of course everyone is free to choose how they spend their money. Some would not spend over $100 on a pair of earbuds...

I've resigned myself that price wise, the Zen 2 (standard, red cable) and the TY HP650 are likely the highest end I'll ever hear, and I can live with that.

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #18,530 of 75,236
I've resigned myself that price wise, the Zen 2 (standard, red cable) and the TY HP650 are likely the highest end I'll ever hear, and I can live with that.

I wouldn't look at it like that.  Zen 2 is really close to top for earbuds, keeping in mind diminishing returns.  At this level, what's best is to find the sound that suits you, as you run the risk of anything higher maybe not being as good a match given how few things are at the top.

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #18,533 of 75,236
I wouldn't look at it like that.  Zen 2 is really close to top for earbuds, keeping in mind diminishing returns.  At this level, what's best is to find the sound that suits you, as you run the risk of anything higher maybe not being as good a match given how few things are at the top.

Oh yep, and I do find the Zen 2 absolutely awesome, which is a big plus :-D It really suits my sound preferences and although it was more than I'd usually want to pay, I have zero regrets!

In progress, sorry for waiting. So many distractions lately.

No worries! You're not on a clock :-D Just intrigued, as the 300 hasn't had much comment on here & I really like it, think it's amazing for the price

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #18,534 of 75,236

I used to be into buying vintage Sony and Aiwa earbuds so prices over $200 are not that strange to me. But in the case of vintage earbuds there is the aspect of the earbuds being collector's items that can add to the price. I've seen old Aiwa earbuds sold for over $800 on Ebay.

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #18,535 of 75,236
Mar 5, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #18,536 of 75,236
Hey who here has the Koss kde250? What does it sound like?

Of all my buds (insane amount) only 4 are in regular rotation.

Bhobuds MAG7
Recabled 1994 Sony
Cygnus
Blox B320

And when I get it back, Asura 2.0 replacement will be the fifth. I love the Asura 2.0 more than it makes sense.

Everything else I have gets used maybe one a week.... if that. And the B320 replaced any other mid focus bud I have.

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #18,537 of 75,236
Is that what the grill on the new Masya look like? I got a pair of Masya's (the carbon ones) not too long ago and they have a different grill (holes all over the grill). I can imagine that the different grills might have something to do with your two Masya's might sound different. Do they have the same drivers in them, or do you know?

Here are a pictures of latest version of Masya which is in term of SQ is worse than original one IMO.

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #18,538 of 75,236
Is that what the grill on the new Masya look like? I got a pair of Masya's (the carbon ones) not too long ago and they have a different grill (holes all over the grill). I can imagine that the different grills might have something to do with your two Masya's might sound different. Do they have the same drivers in them, or do you know?

Yes that is what the grill on the new Masya look like.

While the original Masya both normal and carbon fiber version have a different grills (with holes all over it) and sometime come in different color also but they sound exactly the same.

I also believe that The new Masya and the original Masya have a different drivers too. As they sound too much different as well as the original one is a lot easier to drive (25% volume on the original one is as loud as ~40℅ on the new Masya).

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #18,539 of 75,236
Yes that is what the grill on the new Masya look like.

While the original Masya both normal and carbon fiber version have a different grills (with holes all over it) and sometime come in different color also but they sound exactly the same.

I also believe that The new Masya and the original Masya have a different drivers too. As they sound too much different as well as the original one is a lot easier to drive (25% volume on the original one is as loud as ~40℅ on the new Masya).

Hmm, that's interesting to note.  Thanks for that impression.

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #18,540 of 75,236
  I dunno what the problem is either? @notamethlab  they are held shut with blu tac, not glue... (at least mine) a little heat will help you open, too much will make a mess, haha.

I have been wanting to put the edimun cable on a different driver. Great cable and as much as I respect Bengkel, Iriyan refuses to just make me a cable. So I guess I will just have to kill a Edimun 
very_evil_smiley.gif

OMG Please don't 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back